independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 20th Feb 2020 11:04pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Joss Stone
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/27/03 9:30am

DigitalLisa

Joss Stone

Are any of you guys digging that new singer Joss Stone? If you never heard of her, she's a white girl from New England and she has a whole lot of soul. I think she's like only 17, but when she sings, she has the voice of a old soul. Right now she's invovled with ?uestlove. She started off by singing on some tracks by the roots. She already has a album out and it's called Soul Sessions. It's truly a remarkable album. A lot of songs on the album are remarks, but She sings in it in a way, that she makes it her own,
I would recommend anybody 2 cop this album. It's a must have 4 ur record collection.

Here's some background info on the album, just 2 give u an ideal on how tight the album is :


1. The Chokin' Kind (Howard) - 3:36
2. Super Duper Love (Are You Diggin on Me?),... (Garner) - 4:20
3. Fell in Love With a Boy (White) - 3:38
4. Victim of a Foolish Heart (Buckins/Jackson) - 5:31
5. Dirty Man (Miller) - 2:59
6. Some Kind of Wonderful (Ellison) - 3:56
7. I've Fallen in Love With You (Thomas) - 4:29
8. I Had a Dream (Sebastian) - 3:01
9. All the King's Horses (Franklin) - 3:03
10. For the Love of You, Pts. 1-2 (Isley/Isley/Isley/Isley/Isley/Jasper) - 7:33

Betty Wright - Vocals (bckgr), Producer
Cindy Blackman - Bass, Drums
Timmy Thomas - Organ
Kamal - Keyboards
Kirk Douglas - Guitar
Jack Daley - Bass
Karen Dreyfus - Viola
Sam Furnace - Saxophone
Chris Gehringer - Mastering
Steven Greenberg - Producer, Executive Producer
Myung Hi Kim - Violin
Benny Latimore - Piano
Mike Mangini - Tambourine, Producer
Namphuyo Aisha McCray - Vocals (bckgr)
Angelo Morris - Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar
James Poyser - Keyboards
Laura Seaton - Violin
Angie Stone - Vocals (bckgr)
Jeanette Wright - Vocals (bckgr)
Bryan Lasley - Art Direction, Design
David Gorman - Art Direction, Design
Sarah Seiver - Cello
Alan J. Stepansky - Cello
Rob Shaw - Violin
Steve Greenwell - Bass, Engineer, Mixing
Pierre Daniel - Keyboards
John R. Angier - String Arrangements
Sharon Yamada - Violin
Lisa Kim - Violin
Fiona Simon - Violin
Jenny Strenger - Violin
Ignacio Nunez - Percussion
Soo Hyun Kwon - Violin
Jung Sun Yoo - Violin
Liza Lim - Violin
Marc Ciprut - Guitar
Dawn Hannay - Viola
Joss Stone - Author
Adam Blackstone - Bass
Deanna Carroll - Vocals (bckgr)
Taneka Duggan - Vocals (bckgr)
Jimmy Farkus - Guitar
Karen Fuchs - Photography
Willlie "Little Beaver" Hale - Guitar
Sarah Kim - Violin
Sharon Park - Violin

thumbs up!
[This message was edited Mon Oct 27 9:34:07 PST 2003 by DigitalLisa]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/27/03 9:40am

Harlepolis

Do u know that Betty Wright is her vocal couch? nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/27/03 9:47am

sosgemini

avatar

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


I dont see what the hype is all about...I hear great vocal chops but no emotional depth...


She needs to work with Betty a couple more years and mature the vocal execution...

and i hate to ask this but, if this girl were black...would she be getting all this hype?

Lizz Wright is far more deserving of the media's attention IMHO...
Space for sale...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/27/03 9:53am

Harlepolis

sosgemini said:

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


I dont see what the hype is all about...I hear great vocal chops but no emotional depth...


She needs to work with Betty a couple more years and mature the vocal execution...

and i hate to ask this but, if this girl were black...would she be getting all this hype?

Lizz Wright is far more deserving of the media's attention IMHO...


It doesn't take common sense to figure that out really lol its a life-fact that she's getting the hype ONLY becoz she's white(not becoz of her vocal chops like many PRETEND)

But if she worth half of it then I don't see whats wrong of supporting her(since MOST of what out there are worthless,,,talent-wise).

Time will tell if she's another Chritina/Kelly or someone who's MUCH BETTA than that!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/27/03 9:54am

otan

avatar

www.s-curverecords.com/joss/
OH MY GOD - did you go to her site and watch the video?

That's Lenny Kravitz drummer and bass player on some of the stuff.

I hope this girl goes far, and ain't just a flash in the pan.
The Last Otan Track: www.funkmusician.com/what.mp3
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/27/03 9:59am

otan

avatar

Harlepolis said:

sosgemini said:

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


I dont see what the hype is all about...I hear great vocal chops but no emotional depth...


She needs to work with Betty a couple more years and mature the vocal execution...

and i hate to ask this but, if this girl were black...would she be getting all this hype?

Lizz Wright is far more deserving of the media's attention IMHO...


It doesn't take common sense to figure that out really lol its a life-fact that she's getting the hype ONLY becoz she's white(not becoz of her vocal chops like many PRETEND)

But if she worth half of it then I don't see whats wrong of supporting her(since MOST of what out there are worthless,,,talent-wise).

Time will tell if she's another Chritina/Kelly or someone who's MUCH BETTA than that!

What hype? I haven't heard anything about this girl except at THIS site. The hype ain't about color. SHE IS GIFTED. You can deny it if you want, but she IS. She DOES have vocal chops and soul... at least to me, but what do I know, I'm white, I'm in on the secret I guess...
The Last Otan Track: www.funkmusician.com/what.mp3
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/27/03 10:06am

Harlepolis

otan said:

Harlepolis said:

sosgemini said:

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


I dont see what the hype is all about...I hear great vocal chops but no emotional depth...


She needs to work with Betty a couple more years and mature the vocal execution...

and i hate to ask this but, if this girl were black...would she be getting all this hype?

Lizz Wright is far more deserving of the media's attention IMHO...


It doesn't take common sense to figure that out really lol its a life-fact that she's getting the hype ONLY becoz she's white(not becoz of her vocal chops like many PRETEND)

But if she worth half of it then I don't see whats wrong of supporting her(since MOST of what out there are worthless,,,talent-wise).

Time will tell if she's another Chritina/Kelly or someone who's MUCH BETTA than that!

What hype? I haven't heard anything about this girl except at THIS site. The hype ain't about color. SHE IS GIFTED. You can deny it if you want, but she IS. She DOES have vocal chops and soul... at least to me, but what do I know, I'm white, I'm in on the secret I guess...


When the hell did I deny this? eek

Check my post again instead of acting all defensive and shit, playa!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/27/03 10:32am

otan

avatar

Harlepolis said:

otan said:

Harlepolis said:

sosgemini said:

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


I dont see what the hype is all about...I hear great vocal chops but no emotional depth...


She needs to work with Betty a couple more years and mature the vocal execution...

and i hate to ask this but, if this girl were black...would she be getting all this hype?

Lizz Wright is far more deserving of the media's attention IMHO...


It doesn't take common sense to figure that out really lol its a life-fact that she's getting the hype ONLY becoz she's white(not becoz of her vocal chops like many PRETEND)

But if she worth half of it then I don't see whats wrong of supporting her(since MOST of what out there are worthless,,,talent-wise).

Time will tell if she's another Chritina/Kelly or someone who's MUCH BETTA than that!

What hype? I haven't heard anything about this girl except at THIS site. The hype ain't about color. SHE IS GIFTED. You can deny it if you want, but she IS. She DOES have vocal chops and soul... at least to me, but what do I know, I'm white, I'm in on the secret I guess...


When the hell did I deny this? eek

Check my post again instead of acting all defensive and shit, playa!


its a life-fact that she's getting the hype ONLY becoz she's white(not becoz of her vocal chops like many PRETEND)
Looks like you're saying "she's getting the hype ONLY becoz she's white".

Am I wrong there?
The Last Otan Track: www.funkmusician.com/what.mp3
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/27/03 10:39am

Harlepolis

otan said:

Harlepolis said:

otan said:

Harlepolis said:

sosgemini said:

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


I dont see what the hype is all about...I hear great vocal chops but no emotional depth...


She needs to work with Betty a couple more years and mature the vocal execution...

and i hate to ask this but, if this girl were black...would she be getting all this hype?

Lizz Wright is far more deserving of the media's attention IMHO...


It doesn't take common sense to figure that out really lol its a life-fact that she's getting the hype ONLY becoz she's white(not becoz of her vocal chops like many PRETEND)

But if she worth half of it then I don't see whats wrong of supporting her(since MOST of what out there are worthless,,,talent-wise).

Time will tell if she's another Chritina/Kelly or someone who's MUCH BETTA than that!

What hype? I haven't heard anything about this girl except at THIS site. The hype ain't about color. SHE IS GIFTED. You can deny it if you want, but she IS. She DOES have vocal chops and soul... at least to me, but what do I know, I'm white, I'm in on the secret I guess...


When the hell did I deny this? eek

Check my post again instead of acting all defensive and shit, playa!


its a life-fact that she's getting the hype ONLY becoz she's white(not becoz of her vocal chops like many PRETEND)
Looks like you're saying "she's getting the hype ONLY becoz she's white".

Am I wrong there?


Yeah I said it and I'm sticking to it.

But I also said that she worth having the hype if she could carry herself with talent. So no denying in here!

But if she worth half of it then I don't see whats wrong of supporting her(since MOST of what out there are worthless,,,talent-wise).

What else do you need to know?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/27/03 10:40am

VANITYSprisonB
YTCH

otan said:

Harlepolis said:

sosgemini said:

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


I dont see what the hype is all about...I hear great vocal chops but no emotional depth...


She needs to work with Betty a couple more years and mature the vocal execution...

and i hate to ask this but, if this girl were black...would she be getting all this hype?

Lizz Wright is far more deserving of the media's attention IMHO...


It doesn't take common sense to figure that out really lol its a life-fact that she's getting the hype ONLY becoz she's white(not becoz of her vocal chops like many PRETEND)

But if she worth half of it then I don't see whats wrong of supporting her(since MOST of what out there are worthless,,,talent-wise).

Time will tell if she's another Chritina/Kelly or someone who's MUCH BETTA than that!

What hype? I haven't heard anything about this girl except at THIS site. The hype ain't about color. SHE IS GIFTED. You can deny it if you want, but she IS. She DOES have vocal chops and soul... at least to me, but what do I know, I'm white, I'm in on the secret I guess...


The girl is the real thing...I had the opportunity to see her 3 times last week and and she really is a gifted vocalist. I love her album but seeing her live is where it's really at! If I can paraphrase ?uestlove on MTV 'You Here it First'...

"Joss is not microwave music, she's the real thing"

I saw her sing with a band and accapella. She also previewed a couple songs from her 'real' debut of original songs set to come out next year. She co-wrote all the songs...think Angie Stone-meets-Lisa Stansfield...very cool shit. She is also a sweetheart. Very embarrassed by all the attention. Her mom was there in support.

I think if there is a hype..it's not so much the label as it is just classic word of mouth!
Every minute of last night is on my face today....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/27/03 10:49am

thirstinhowlVI
II

sosgemini said:

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


I dont see what the hype is all about...I hear great vocal chops but no emotional depth...


She needs to work with Betty a couple more years and mature the vocal execution...

and i hate to ask this but, if this girl were black...would she be getting all this hype?

Lizz Wright is far more deserving of the media's attention IMHO...


exactly, she has no depth. shes like a pop idol singer. shes not bad but id love to see a great young black singer get as much push and attention and BUDGET with all those great musicians behind her.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/27/03 11:00am

otan

avatar

thirstinhowlVIII said:

sosgemini said:

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


I dont see what the hype is all about...I hear great vocal chops but no emotional depth...


She needs to work with Betty a couple more years and mature the vocal execution...

and i hate to ask this but, if this girl were black...would she be getting all this hype?

Lizz Wright is far more deserving of the media's attention IMHO...


exactly, she has no depth. shes like a pop idol singer. shes not bad but id love to see a great young black singer get as much push and attention and BUDGET with all those great musicians behind her.

For Chrissakes. You mean like Beyonce or Alicia or any PLETHORA of young black artists that appear every year on the music scene? You folks act as if us whiteys are banding together to keep the black folk out of the music industry, and any genre you feel you've created out of thin air, we pounce on with our assembly-line wannabes.

DID it cross your mind that maybe, JUST MAYBE, the girl actually likes soul, and actually HAS a nice voice, and just MAYBE somebody out there wants to help get her voice and her talent out there? That, perhaps, JUST THIS ONCE, this is not a plan by whitey to use a talentless soulless mechanoid to steal attention from young talented black artists?

I mean come on. We already tried that with Britney, and dammit, she's dropped the ball for us.
The Last Otan Track: www.funkmusician.com/what.mp3
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/27/03 11:10am

VANITYSprisonB
YTCH

otan said:

thirstinhowlVIII said:

sosgemini said:

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


I dont see what the hype is all about...I hear great vocal chops but no emotional depth...


She needs to work with Betty a couple more years and mature the vocal execution...

and i hate to ask this but, if this girl were black...would she be getting all this hype?

Lizz Wright is far more deserving of the media's attention IMHO...


exactly, she has no depth. shes like a pop idol singer. shes not bad but id love to see a great young black singer get as much push and attention and BUDGET with all those great musicians behind her.

For Chrissakes. You mean like Beyonce or Alicia or any PLETHORA of young black artists that appear every year on the music scene? You folks act as if us whiteys are banding together to keep the black folk out of the music industry, and any genre you feel you've created out of thin air, we pounce on with our assembly-line wannabes.

DID it cross your mind that maybe, JUST MAYBE, the girl actually likes soul, and actually HAS a nice voice, and just MAYBE somebody out there wants to help get her voice and her talent out there? That, perhaps, JUST THIS ONCE, this is not a plan by whitey to use a talentless soulless mechanoid to steal attention from young talented black artists?

I mean come on. We already tried that with Britney, and dammit, she's dropped the ball for us.


I agree...it's ridiculous to see the race card instantly being played here...This album all happened by accident...none of it was planned. Not even the inclusion of classic soul musicians. It was all about being at the right place at the right time. In speaking with Joss, she told me she grew up listening to Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, and Al Green..her mother is a huge soul fan. She was also heavily inspired by Lauryn Hill's 'Misseducation' record.

Let's just accept the music for what it is...beautiful soul music for everyone. Keep the labeling out of this and enjoy the music...at the end of the day..it's better than 90% of the crap that is being shoved down our throats from the major labels...
Every minute of last night is on my face today....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/27/03 11:15am

sosgemini

avatar

otan said:

exactly, she has no depth. shes like a pop idol singer. shes not bad but id love to see a great young black singer get as much push and attention and BUDGET with all those great musicians behind her.

For Chrissakes. You mean like Beyonce or Alicia or any PLETHORA of young black artists that appear every year on the music scene? You folks act as if us whiteys are banding together to keep the black folk out of the music industry, and any genre you feel you've created out of thin air, we pounce on with our assembly-line wannabes.

DID it cross your mind that maybe, JUST MAYBE, the girl actually likes soul, and actually HAS a nice voice, and just MAYBE somebody out there wants to help get her voice and her talent out there? That, perhaps, JUST THIS ONCE, this is not a plan by whitey to use a talentless soulless mechanoid to steal attention from young talented black artists?

I mean come on. We already tried that with Britney, and dammit, she's dropped the ball for us.[/quote]

first of all, could you please calm down...nobody is saying your are speaking for all white people or vice versa..people are just waxing their opinion...

2) I have heard a couple interviews about this chick...and what the record label p/r people and her management is that she is the truest r&b performer to hit the streets in ages...that she is harks back to old school soul divas...but she is white and young...they are the ones raising the issue...

3) i think it is a valid issue to raise that an artist as soulfull and matured sounding as Lizz Wright gets ZERO attention from the media...This isnt a new issue..Look at Elvis, Eminem...I think people are just now calling out these PR pushes...
Space for sale...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/27/03 11:20am

sosgemini

avatar

VANITYSprisonBYTCH said:

I agree...it's ridiculous to see the race card instantly being played here...This album all happened by accident...none of it was planned. Not even the inclusion of classic soul musicians. It was all about being at the right place at the right time. In speaking with Joss, she told me she grew up listening to Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, and Al Green..her mother is a huge soul fan. She was also heavily inspired by Lauryn Hill's 'Misseducation' record.

Let's just accept the music for what it is...beautiful soul music for everyone. Keep the labeling out of this and enjoy the music...at the end of the day..it's better than 90% of the crap that is being shoved down our throats from the major labels...



Blame her management and record company...they are the ones calling her the next Aretha, but like oh my good...she is from england and white!!! nuts

and it wouldnt even have been an issue if she sounded like the next heir...but her vocals lack maturity and sophistication...which just makes me think this is all a PR stunt...
Space for sale...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/27/03 11:34am

VANITYSprisonB
YTCH

sosgemini said:

VANITYSprisonBYTCH said:

I agree...it's ridiculous to see the race card instantly being played here...This album all happened by accident...none of it was planned. Not even the inclusion of classic soul musicians. It was all about being at the right place at the right time. In speaking with Joss, she told me she grew up listening to Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, and Al Green..her mother is a huge soul fan. She was also heavily inspired by Lauryn Hill's 'Misseducation' record.

Let's just accept the music for what it is...beautiful soul music for everyone. Keep the labeling out of this and enjoy the music...at the end of the day..it's better than 90% of the crap that is being shoved down our throats from the major labels...



and it wouldnt even have been an issue if she sounded like the next heir...but her vocals lack maturity and sophistication...which just makes me think this is all a PR stunt...



I can understand where you're coming from...at first I thought it was all a gimmick. I gave it a few more listens and I was starting to like it but she did sound quite young (which she is)...but it was after witnessing her live in 3 different environments that sold me completely. It was all her...and she sounds even better than on record. It's been awhile since the record was recorded so her voice has grown quite a bit...

The current climate of the music industry has caused many of us to be weary of so called 'Next Big Things'...too many marketing ploys and PR stunts...anything to make a buck.

I really feel this record should'nt be marketed that way...this record should be able to sell on it's own merits.
Every minute of last night is on my face today....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/27/03 11:49am

jw1914

Excuse me for sounding like an old fart, but this was exactly the reason why people like myself an others were against music videos in the first place. Music is meant to be heard with your ears not you eyes, and videos have caused the public(the young masses) to judge a musical artist by what they see as opposed to what they hear. The very next time that you want to turn someone on to something new, don't let them see them sleeve inside the CD. Make them listen a couple of times first. Music SHOULD BE color blind.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/27/03 11:52am

jw1914

And for GOD's sake turn off the music video channels. Leave the volume turned up, but turn the picture off. It does make a differance.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Joss Stone