independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Greatest American Rock Band of All Time
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 06/14/20 5:27pm

PennyPurple

avatar

kpowers said:

PennyPurple said:

Where's LoverBoy? wink

Loverboy is Canadian, yeah I know American "North American" thing. I would put them on a list for Canada's Greatest Rock band list.

Dang It. smile They are Canadian.

A MASK ISN'T TOO MUCH TO ASK!!
JJPOPPYSBOMBSQUAD #OPINIONSMATTER
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 06/14/20 5:29pm

kpowers

avatar

PennyPurple said:

kpowers said:

Loverboy is Canadian, yeah I know American "North American" thing. I would put them on a list for Canada's Greatest Rock band list.

Dang It. smile They are Canadian.

And they are working for the weekend lol

Working for the weekend mike reno GIF on GIFER - by Dagdalis

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 06/16/20 10:38pm

Vannormal

avatar

kpowers said:

Dollar | currency | Britannica

-

Oh I remember this.

I had a roll of toilet paper with this printed all over them.

Didn't wipe that well though...

wink

-

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 06/20/20 11:18pm

JoeyC

avatar

kpowers said:

PennyPurple said:

Where's LoverBoy? wink

Loverboy is Canadian, yeah I know American "North American" thing. I would put them on a list for Canada's Greatest Rock band list.


I've always had a soft spot for Loverboy. Some people thought they were somewhat cheesy, but me personally, i thought they were a talented band. And along with Voivod, Saga and Rush(of course), are one of the best bands out of Canada.

Rest in Peace Bettie Boo. See u soon.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 06/21/20 2:36am

heartpeaceshea
rt

I'm not going to scroll and see if somebody mentioned my pick yet but I have to say Billy Joel and his band could be it.

(2 minutes later)
[Edited 6/21/20 2:50am]

Ok I went back and scrolled and I was tempted to reply to the RS post just to be a jerk but I didn't but I should have.
I'm not calling who kept the images going a jerk I just thought how annoying.

[Edited 6/21/20 2:59am]

And now I'm saying Billy Joel AND Duran Duran.

Anyone who challenges my selection of DD or even frankly Billy Joel as a pick surely better keep it 💯 when doing so.

I'm conclusion, my answer is Billy Joel and his band plus Duran Duran.
[Edited 6/21/20 3:27am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 06/21/20 6:40am

thedoorkeeper

Wow!
I didn't know Duran Duran was an American band.
Learn something everyday. razz
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 06/21/20 10:51am

kpowers

avatar

heartpeacesheart said:

I'm not going to scroll and see if somebody mentioned my pick yet but I have to say Billy Joel and his band could be it. (2 minutes later) [Edited 6/21/20 2:50am] Ok I went back and scrolled and I was tempted to reply to the RS post just to be a jerk but I didn't but I should have. I'm not calling who kept the images going a jerk I just thought how annoying. [Edited 6/21/20 2:59am] And now I'm saying Billy Joel AND Duran Duran. Anyone who challenges my selection of DD or even frankly Billy Joel as a pick surely better keep it 💯 when doing so. I'm conclusion, my answer is Billy Joel and his band plus Duran Duran. [Edited 6/21/20 3:27am]

Billy Joel is a solo artist

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 06/21/20 10:53am

kpowers

avatar

JoeyC said:

kpowers said:

Loverboy is Canadian, yeah I know American "North American" thing. I would put them on a list for Canada's Greatest Rock band list.


I've always had a soft spot for Loverboy. Some people thought they were somewhat cheesy, but me personally, i thought they were a talented band. And along with Voivod, Saga and Rush(of course), are one of the best bands out of Canada.

I liked Triumph as well.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 06/21/20 10:56am

kpowers

avatar

The last Greatest American rock band was

7 Great Debut Albums – Pinnacle of Sound

Then the 90's came with all that awful grunge sound barf

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 06/21/20 4:20pm

heartpeaceshea
rt

thedoorkeeper said:

Wow!
I didn't know Duran Duran was an American band.
Learn something everyday. razz


They are in my heart and you're welcome.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 06/21/20 4:21pm

heartpeaceshea
rt

kpowers said:



heartpeacesheart said:


I'm not going to scroll and see if somebody mentioned my pick yet but I have to say Billy Joel and his band could be it. (2 minutes later) [Edited 6/21/20 2:50am] Ok I went back and scrolled and I was tempted to reply to the RS post just to be a jerk but I didn't but I should have. I'm not calling who kept the images going a jerk I just thought how annoying. [Edited 6/21/20 2:59am] And now I'm saying Billy Joel AND Duran Duran. Anyone who challenges my selection of DD or even frankly Billy Joel as a pick surely better keep it 💯 when doing so. I'm conclusion, my answer is Billy Joel and his band plus Duran Duran. [Edited 6/21/20 3:27am]

Billy Joel is a solo artist



Oh.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 06/21/20 6:54pm

hardwork

JoeyC said:

kpowers said:

Loverboy is Canadian, yeah I know American "North American" thing. I would put them on a list for Canada's Greatest Rock band list.


I've always had a soft spot for Loverboy. Some people thought they were somewhat cheesy, but me personally, i thought they were a talented band. And along with Voivod, Saga and Rush(of course), are one of the best bands out of Canada.

OK, if the thread is going to turn Canadian then the greatness and importance (well for Canada) of Tom Cochrane and Red Rider will need to be asserted.

Canadian Music Hall of Fame induction: Cochrane was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 2003 for outstanding contribution to the greater recognition of Canadian music.[10] The ceremony took place April 5, 2003, at Casino du Lac-Leamy in Gatineau, Quebec. The following night, Cochrane was honoured for his induction in a speech by Jeff Healey at the Juno Awards at the Corel Centre (now Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa). Cochrane closed the show by performing a medley of his hits and was joined onstage by host Shania Twain for the final song, "Life Is a Highway".[11]

Order of Canada: In April 2008, Cochrane received one of the highest honours for a Canadian citizen when he was invested as an officer of the Order of Canada (the level companion of the Order of Canada is the highest honour, and several people originally invested as officers have been promoted to companions for continued contributions to charity and the arts, among other fields).[12] Cochrane was honoured for a lifetime of charity work, his contribution to the arts and for being unabashedly Canadian.

Canada's Walk of Fame: In September 2009, Cochrane was inducted onto Canada's Walk of Fame.[13] The induction was highlighted by a two-hour nationally televised gala at Toronto's Four Season's Center for the Performing Arts. Anne Murray hosted the event which also included the inductions of Kim Cattrall, Raymond Burr, Blue Rodeo, Dsquared2, Howie Mandel, Robert Munsch and Chantal Petitclerc.

Honorary colonel: In November 2007, Cochrane was formally invested as an honorary colonel (HCol) by the Royal Canadian Air Force's 409 "Nighthawks" Tactical Fighter Squadron. As part of his investiture weekend, Cochrane experienced his second flight in a CF-18.

Honorary doctorate: In May 2005, Cochrane received an honorary doctorate from Brandon University in Brandon, Manitoba. In addition, musician James Ehnes, journalist Henry Champ and actress Shirley Douglas received honorary doctorates from the university at the spring convocation held May 28, 2005.

Canadian Music Industry Hall of Fame Tom Cochrane was inducted on May 9, 2014, Gil Moore formerly of the band Triumph made the presentation.[14]

Canadian Music Industry Humanitarian Award: In March 2005, Cochrane received the Humanitarian Award at the Canadian Music Industry Association's (CMIA) gala dinner in Toronto during the annual Canadian Music Week Festival.

Allan Waters Humanitarian Award: In April 2013, Tom Cochrane received the award at the 2013 Juno Awards gala dinner.

Henry H. Knowles Humanitarian Award In May 2014, Tom Cochrane received this award from OPSEU.

Order of Manitoba In July 2015 Tom Cochrane received the Order Of Manitoba.[15]

On October 31, 2016, the provincial legislature of Manitoba announced a 322-kilometre section of PR 391, Manitoba's premium highway, connecting Lynn Lake and Thompson would be renamed Tom Cochrane’s Life Is A Highway.[16]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 06/22/20 4:02am

heartpeaceshea
rt

Fine. Chic wins. Next!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 06/22/20 7:41pm

heartpeaceshea
rt

Where's the comment someone made about live aid and that led Zeppelin shouldn't have performed that was really funny I just thought about it and I wanted to say I thought the comment was really funny.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 06/23/20 10:29am

kpowers

avatar

heartpeacesheart said:

Fine. Chic wins. Next!

Spock Eyebrow GIFs | Tenor

Frustrated Star Trek GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Data laughing - Album on Imgur

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 06/25/20 6:00pm

POOK

avatar


IT MIGHTY VAN HALEN DUH

SIX PERFECT ALBUM AND THEN BAND JUST OVER

P o o |/,
P o o |\
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 06/26/20 2:01am

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

The Velvet Underground?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 06/26/20 1:01pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

POOK said:

IT MIGHTY VAN HALEN DUH SIX PERFECT ALBUM AND THEN BAND JUST OVER

Not as far as Diamond Dave in Vegas is concerned! razz lol

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 07/01/20 12:36pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

The Doors
The Beach Boys

The Band
The Eagles
Steely Dan
Credence

Cheap Trick

Aerosmith
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Nirvana
Pearl Jam

The Allman Brothers
ZZTop
The Buffalo Springfield
CSN (1 brit, 2 yankees)

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 07/01/20 9:16pm

ReddBlitz

Honorable mentions:

The Chambers Bros.
Journey
Mother's Finest
Huey Lewis & The News
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 07/02/20 6:33am

mediumdry

5 pages in and nobody gave the correct answer...

Those early years from Funkadelic, it's the greatest American rock ever. Just listen to Super Stupid, or Free Your Mind or just the first three albums... they added a bit more schwing later on, but it's the best rock band the US ever had.

Paisley Park is in your heart - Love Is Here!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 07/03/20 2:17pm

homesquid

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

So many to choose from and depending on my mood at the time, my answer could change. Some of my favourites are: Fleetwood Mac Steely Dan Doobie Brothers Aerosmith Motley Crue

Every one of the bands you mentioned are crap 'cept for Fleetwood Mac. Your music taste blows. Just kiddin' razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 07/03/20 11:27pm

Doalwa

Of course it’s the Eagles, there really is no contest here!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 07/04/20 3:20pm

mynameisnotsus
an

Compared to Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who and Queen I'm kinda embarrassed for America. Put any of the bands that have been named against this lot and they are 6th on the list.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 07/05/20 1:15am

ReddBlitz

mediumdry said:

5 pages in and nobody gave the correct answer...





Those early years from Funkadelic, it's the greatest American rock ever. Just listen to Super Stupid, or Free Your Mind or just the first three albums... they added a bit more schwing later on, but it's the best rock band the US ever had.




Yes, indeed!!! Tell it!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 07/05/20 6:02am

RJOrion

mediumdry said:

5 pages in and nobody gave the correct answer...





Those early years from Funkadelic, it's the greatest American rock ever. Just listen to Super Stupid, or Free Your Mind or just the first three albums... they added a bit more schwing later on, but it's the best rock band the US ever had.




damn... no further replies necessary...you win
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 07/05/20 11:30am

kpowers

avatar

5 Reasons Journey Should Be in the Hall of Fame

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 07/05/20 11:33am

kpowers

avatar

Way before guitar hero

33f179ea49d6e40d084f34720fb8533a.jpg

[Edited 7/5/20 19:59pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 07/05/20 11:46am

kpowers

avatar

mynameisnotsusan said:

Compared to Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who and Queen I'm kinda embarrassed for America. Put any of the bands that have been named against this lot and they are 6th on the list.

Yeah love those bands too. For the 80's I would thrown in Def Leppard

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 07/05/20 5:21pm

S2DG

POOK said:

IT MIGHTY VAN HALEN DUH SIX PERFECT ALBUM AND THEN BAND JUST OVER


TIL the monkey doesn't like Van Hagar.... hmm

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Greatest American Rock Band of All Time