independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 9th Dec 2019 7:36am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Reissue Talk #37
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 07/14/19 4:07pm

thesoulbrother

avatar

JoeBala said:

Music On Vinyl kick off a Todd Rundgren vinyl reissue campaign with limited coloured vinyl editions of his 1970 solo debut Runt and 1972’s acclaimed Somthing/Anything?

Both are limited editions of only 1000 units with Runt pressed on gold-coloured vinyl while Something/Anything? is a 2LP pressing on a purple/red mix.

‘We Gotta Get You A Woman’ from Runt and ‘I Saw The Light’ from Something/Anything? were both US top 20 hits, while ‘Hello It’s Me’ peaked at number five on the Billboard Hot 100.

Both reissues are pressed on 180g vinyl and come with printed inserts. These are released on 16 August and these limited editions can be pre-ordered from the SDE shop, with a specially priced bundle of both available. Further releases are planned for 2019.

Runt limited edition coloured vinyl

Side A

1. Broke Down And Busted
2. Believe In Me
3. We Gotta Get You A Woman
4. Who’s That Man?
5. Once Burned
6. Devil’s Bite

Side B

1. I’m In The Clique
2. There Are No Words
3. Baby, Let’s Swing The Last Thing You Said Don’t Tie My Hands
4. Birthday Carol

Something/Anything? limited edition coloured vinyl

Side A

1. I Saw The Light
2. It Wouldn’t Have Made Any Difference
3. Wolfman Jack
4. Cold Morning Light
5. It Takes Two To Tango (This Is For The Girls)
6. Sweeter Memories

Side B

1. Intro
2. Breathless
3. The Night The Carousel Burned Down
4. Saving Grace
5. Marlene
6. Song Of The Viking
7. I Went To The Mirror

Side C

1. Black Maria
2. One More Day (No Word)
3. Couldn’t I Just Tell You
4. Torch Song
5. Little Red Lights

Side D

1. Overture: Money / Messin’ With The Kid
2. Dust In The Wind
3. Piss Aaron
4. Hello It’s Me
5. Some Folks Is Even Whiter Than Me
6. You Left Me Sore
7. Slut

I kid you not: I just bought a near mint copy of Something/Anything on vinyl for $2 last weekend!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 07/16/19 9:52am

JoeBala

40th anniversary vinyl edition with bonus track

Donna Summer’s 1979 album Bad Girls is being reissued as a double vinyl edition with an extra track.

The album, produced by her longtime collaborators Giorgio Moroder and Pete Bellotte, contains the singles ‘Bad Girls’, ‘Hot Stuff’, ‘Dim All The Lights’ and ‘Sunset People’, as well as ‘Our Love’ which was something of an inspiration on New Order’s ‘Blue Monday’ toe-tap. It spent six weeks atop the Billboard 200 list on release, and was her biggest selling album shifting four million copies.

Although there is no news of whether it’s been re-remastered or not, this reissue is produced by Jordi Soley for Elemental Music (under license from Universal Spain) and also contains a bonus track of a demo version of ‘Bad Girls’ which originally featured on a deluxe edition released in 2003. There appear to be no plans at the moment for Universal to reissue or put out anything else at the moment.

Bad Girls is released on 22 July 2019 (slightly weird, since that is a Monday).

LP 1

Side 1

  1. Hot Stuff
  2. Bad Girls
  3. Love Will Always Find You
  4. Walk Away

Side 2

  1. Dim All The Lights
  2. Journey To The Centre Of Your Heart
  3. One Night In A Lifetime
  4. Can’t Get To Sleep At Night

LP 2

Side 1

  1. On My Honor
  2. There Will Always Be A You
  3. All Through The Night
  4. My Baby Understands

Side 2

  1. Our Love
  2. Lucky
  3. Sunset People
  4. Bad Girls (Demo Version)

Just Music-No Categories-Enjoy It!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 07/16/19 4:36pm

SoulAlive

^^ I love the ‘Bad Girls’ album but there isn’t anything new or special about that reissue confused they could at least use colored vinyl or something

.
[Edited 7/16/19 16:36pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 07/16/19 11:51pm

SoulAlive

JoeBala said:





I really love colored vinyl love it makes collecting albums a lot more fun.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 07/17/19 12:34am

SoulAlive

P-Funk news: 1974’s Up for the Down Stroke and 1975’s Chocolate City are available on black and colored wax

George Clinton’s legendary funk group Parliament are releasing vinyl reissues of two classic albums via Urban Legends/Universal Music Enterprises. The band’s 1974 sophomore LP Up for the Down Stroke is being issued on standard black vinyl, as well as translucent red vinyl. Parliament’s third record, 1975’s Chocolate City, is getting reissued as a picture disc and on black vinyl.

Image result for Parliament reissuesImage result for Parliament reissues

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 07/17/19 1:17am

SoulAlive

JAMES TAYLOR WARNER BROS. RECORDS ALBUMS
REMASTERED FOR NEW CD AND LP BOXED SETS

The Complete Warner Bros. Albums: 1970–1976 Includes Newly Remastered Versions Of The Six Legendary Studio Albums That Taylor Recorded Between 1970 And 1976

Newly Remastered Version Of “Fire And Rain” Available Now Digitally

Available In 6-CD, 6-LP, And Digital Versions From Rhino On July 19

James Taylor WBR Albums

Between 1970 and 1976, James Taylor released six albums with Warner Bros. Records that became the foundation for his unparalleled career that includes five Grammy® Awards, induction into the Songwriters and Rock and Roll Halls of Fame, and more than 100 million records sold worldwide.

Rhino pays tribute to Taylor with a new collection that introduces newly remastered versions of all his Warner Bros. albums. THE COMPLETE WARNER BROS. ALBUMS: 1970-1976 will be available on July 19 from Rhino as both 6-CD and 180-gram, 6-LP sets as well as digitally. This collection brings several albums back into print on vinyl for the first time in many years. The newly remastered version of “Fire And Rain” is available now on all digital download and streaming services.

Rhino.com will also offer exclusive bundles that pair both the CD and LP versions of the set with a 12” x 12” lithograph of a classic Taylor photo from 1970. Additionally, the first 350 pre-orders of the LP version from Rhino.com with come with a signed version of the lithograph.

Each album in the set has been remastered, a process overseen by Peter Asher, who signed Taylor to the Beatles’ Apple Records label in 1968, worked as his manager for 25 years, and originally produced several of these albums.

In the collection’s liner notes Asher writes: “Revisiting these albums several decades later has been revelatory, nostalgic, and exciting. I have heard bits and pieces frequently over the years, of course, but listening with concentration and in detail to each of the original tapes without interruption has been a thrilling luxury.”

THE COMPLETE WARNER BROS. ALBUMS: 1970-1976 includes: Sweet Baby James (1970), Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon (1971), One Man Dog (1972), Walking Man (1974), Gorilla (1975), and In the Pocket (1976).

The collection is filled with some of Taylor’s most iconic and beloved songs like “Sweet Baby James,” “Fire And Rain,” “Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight,” “Walking Man,” “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You),” “Mexico,” “Shower The People” and Carole King’s “You’ve Got A Friend,” the later which was Taylor’s first #1 hit and earned him his first Grammy Award (Best Male Pop Vocal) in 1971.

The collection also offers up some spectacular deep cuts like his acoustic lullaby “You Can Close Your Eyes” from Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon; the 10-minute song cycle that closes One Dog Man; “Rock ’n’ Roll Music Is Now” from Walking Man, which features backing vocals by Paul and Linda McCartney; and “Don’t Be Sad ’Cause Your Sun Is Down” from In the Pocket, a song Taylor wrote and recorded with Stevie Wonder.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 07/25/19 5:37pm

getxxxx

avatar

Image

Description
Long-awaited expanded double-CD edition of acclaimed soul-jazz vocal stylist and songwriter Lalah Hathaway’s first two albums – “Lalah Hathaway” (1990) and “A Moment” (1994). Features a wealth of bonus material including hard-to-find mixes, b-sides and rare Japanese-only single ‘Night And Day’.

This double-disc is the first-ever comprehensive compilation of her recordings for Virgin Records.

Daughter of soul legend the late great Donny Hathaway, the renowned songstress Lalah Hathaway is a multiple Grammy and ASCAP Award winner.

Her 1990 debut “Lalah Hathaway” encompasses Brit-soul, jazz, R&B, and swingbeat, including the US R&B hits ‘Heaven Knows’, ‘Baby Don’t Cry’ and ‘It’s Somethin’. Collaborators include top producers Angela Winbush (Stephanie Mills/Isley Brothers), Derek Bramble (Jaki Graham/David Bowie), Andre Fischer (Rufus/Brenda Russell) and more.

Her 1994 follow-up “A Moment” includes her UK top 40 cover of Sly & The Family Stone’s ‘Family Affair’ with The British Electric Foundation, as well as production by Brian Alexander Morgan (SWV), Sami McKinney (Anita Baker/Patti LaBelle) and Chuckii Booker (Troop/Vanessa Williams).

20-page booklet includes selected track commentary by Lalah, rare photos, discography and brand new interview with the artist by project-producer/ex-Attitude editor Adam Mattera.

Tracklist
[CD1: Lalah Hathaway]
1. Somethin’
2. Heaven Knows
3. Baby Don’t Cry
4. Smile
5. U-Godit Gowin On
6. Obvious
7. Stay Home Tonight
8. I’m Coming Back
9. Sentimental
10. I Gotta Move On
Bonus Tracks:
11. Heaven Knows (7” Version)
12. It’s Somethin’ (Radio Mix)
13. Baby Don’t Cry (Radio Version)
14. Heaven Knows (Yvonne Turner Remix)
15. It’s Somethin’ (12” Mix)
16. Baby Don’t Cry (Crybaby Club Version)
17. Somethin’ (Smoove & Sassy Mix)

[CD2: A Moment]
1. Let Me Love You
2. Rise
3. Family Affair
4. These Are The Things (You Do To Me)
5. Do You Suppose
6. Better As A Memory
7. Bad By Myself
8. Lean On Me
9. Separate Ways
10. Long After U Have Gone
11. I’m Not Over You
12. A Moment
13. So They Say
Bonus Tracks:
14. Night And Day
15. Let Me Love You (Bed Time Mix)
16. Dreams Don’t Lie (Club Mix)
17. Separate Ways (Stringapella)
18. Night And Day (Acappella Version)
Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 07/25/19 11:46pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

This Lalah Virgin compilation is interesting considering she kick started her career with the label

but only released 2 cd's on the label. After 1994's A Moment she just fell off the earth for awhile with the exception of the Joe Sample project. She didn't even release another solo album for 10 years.

I wasn't overly impressed with her debut album but I thought A Moment was great which is why it was disappointing to me she didn't release another solo album for 10 years.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 07/26/19 7:23am

kitbradley

avatar

getxxxx said:

41r2MjR37NL.jpg

Description
Long-awaited expanded double-CD edition of acclaimed soul-jazz vocal stylist and songwriter Lalah Hathaway’s first two albums – “Lalah Hathaway” (1990) and “A Moment” (1994). Features a wealth of bonus material including hard-to-find mixes, b-sides and rare Japanese-only single ‘Night And Day’.

This double-disc is the first-ever comprehensive compilation of her recordings for Virgin Records.

Daughter of soul legend the late great Donny Hathaway, the renowned songstress Lalah Hathaway is a multiple Grammy and ASCAP Award winner.

Her 1990 debut “Lalah Hathaway” encompasses Brit-soul, jazz, R&B, and swingbeat, including the US R&B hits ‘Heaven Knows’, ‘Baby Don’t Cry’ and ‘It’s Somethin’. Collaborators include top producers Angela Winbush (Stephanie Mills/Isley Brothers), Derek Bramble (Jaki Graham/David Bowie), Andre Fischer (Rufus/Brenda Russell) and more.

Her 1994 follow-up “A Moment” includes her UK top 40 cover of Sly & The Family Stone’s ‘Family Affair’ with The British Electric Foundation, as well as production by Brian Alexander Morgan (SWV), Sami McKinney (Anita Baker/Patti LaBelle) and Chuckii Booker (Troop/Vanessa Williams).

20-page booklet includes selected track commentary by Lalah, rare photos, discography and brand new interview with the artist by project-producer/ex-Attitude editor Adam Mattera.

Tracklist
[CD1: Lalah Hathaway]
1. Somethin’
2. Heaven Knows
3. Baby Don’t Cry
4. Smile
5. U-Godit Gowin On
6. Obvious
7. Stay Home Tonight
8. I’m Coming Back
9. Sentimental
10. I Gotta Move On
Bonus Tracks:
11. Heaven Knows (7” Version)
12. It’s Somethin’ (Radio Mix)
13. Baby Don’t Cry (Radio Version)
14. Heaven Knows (Yvonne Turner Remix)
15. It’s Somethin’ (12” Mix)
16. Baby Don’t Cry (Crybaby Club Version)
17. Somethin’ (Smoove & Sassy Mix)

[CD2: A Moment]
1. Let Me Love You
2. Rise
3. Family Affair
4. These Are The Things (You Do To Me)
5. Do You Suppose
6. Better As A Memory
7. Bad By Myself
8. Lean On Me
9. Separate Ways
10. Long After U Have Gone
11. I’m Not Over You
12. A Moment
13. So They Say
Bonus Tracks:
14. Night And Day
15. Let Me Love You (Bed Time Mix)
16. Dreams Don’t Lie (Club Mix)
17. Separate Ways (Stringapella)
18. Night And Day (Acappella Version)


Both great albums, especially "A Moment", which I consider the best album of her career. I just wish they would have included some unreleased material on this compilation. I just noticed this is being issued by Cherry Red Records. They usually can't license vault material by American artists. Virgin Records did a horrendous job with promoting Lalah whle she was at the label.



[Edited 7/26/19 7:27am]

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 07/26/19 8:25am

Cinny

avatar

getxxxx said:

Disco icon Patrice Rushen’s Elektra / Asylum recordings collected on new 3xLP release

A retrospective of soul, jazz and boogie from 1978 to 1984.

Legendary vocalist Patrice Rushen’s recordings for the Elektra / Asylum label are being collected in a new 3xLP compilation via Strut Records this July.

Remind Me: The Classic Elektra Recordings 1978-1984 collects all of Rushen’s chart singles, 12” versions and well-worn sample sources in one place, alongside an exclusive interview with Patrice Rushen herself and a selection of rare photos.

unnamed-66.jpg

Tracklist:

A1 Music Of The Earth
A2 Let’s Sing A Song Of Love
A3 When I Found You

B1 Haven’t You Heard (12” version)
B2 Givin’ It UP Is Givin’ Up with DJ Rogers

C1 Forget Me Nots (12” version)
C2 Look Up! (Long version)
C3 Where There Is Love

D1 Never Gonna Give You Up (Won’t Let You Be) (Long version)
D2 Number One (12” version)

E1 All We Need
E2 Remind Me (LP version)
E3 Settle For My Love

F1 Feels So Real (Won’t Let Go) (12” version)
F2 To Each His Own


love She is gorgeous! I saw a very recent video clip of her playing live keyboards and she is a MASTER

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 07/26/19 9:22pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

kitbradley said:

whitesockedfunk said:

There are issues with almost ALL of Cherry Red's reissues and that includes their sublabels like SMR, Big Break etc. Either sound issues (vinyl transfers, mono vs stereo, awful remastering, skips, notes missing, wrong versions and what have you not) or shoddy artwork/liner notes. I never pre-order their releases any more but wait until I have read some reviews first.

I wish I could find it but I ran across this really long blog from an engineer who used to do work for Cherry Red. He was saying how horrible it was working for them and how sloppy they were trying to get product out on the market. He said many times, there were delays in getting masters from the record companies so instead of waiting, they would tell him to source songs from vinyl for the sake of meeting deadlines. He was explaining the long, tedious, painful process of getting the majors to cooperate with the reissue labels and how many people and departments they have to go thru to license songs, find the masters, etc. Very interesting read. If I manage to find it again, I will post a link.

Why is this NOT SO HARD 2 believe???? I would LOVE 2 read it! Thanks and hope you're well! Sendin' luv! <3

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 07/27/19 9:26am

SoulAlive

so no one's excited about those P-Funk vinyl reissues? lol I already ordered my copies!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 07/30/19 6:28pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

getxxxx said:

Image

Description
Long-awaited expanded double-CD edition of acclaimed soul-jazz vocal stylist and songwriter Lalah Hathaway’s first two albums – “Lalah Hathaway” (1990) and “A Moment” (1994). Features a wealth of bonus material including hard-to-find mixes, b-sides and rare Japanese-only single ‘Night And Day’.

This double-disc is the first-ever comprehensive compilation of her recordings for Virgin Records.

Daughter of soul legend the late great Donny Hathaway, the renowned songstress Lalah Hathaway is a multiple Grammy and ASCAP Award winner.

Her 1990 debut “Lalah Hathaway” encompasses Brit-soul, jazz, R&B, and swingbeat, including the US R&B hits ‘Heaven Knows’, ‘Baby Don’t Cry’ and ‘It’s Somethin’. Collaborators include top producers Angela Winbush (Stephanie Mills/Isley Brothers), Derek Bramble (Jaki Graham/David Bowie), Andre Fischer (Rufus/Brenda Russell) and more.

Her 1994 follow-up “A Moment” includes her UK top 40 cover of Sly & The Family Stone’s ‘Family Affair’ with The British Electric Foundation, as well as production by Brian Alexander Morgan (SWV), Sami McKinney (Anita Baker/Patti LaBelle) and Chuckii Booker (Troop/Vanessa Williams).

20-page booklet includes selected track commentary by Lalah, rare photos, discography and brand new interview with the artist by project-producer/ex-Attitude editor Adam Mattera.

Tracklist
[CD1: Lalah Hathaway]
1. Somethin’
2. Heaven Knows
3. Baby Don’t Cry
4. Smile
5. U-Godit Gowin On
6. Obvious
7. Stay Home Tonight
8. I’m Coming Back
9. Sentimental
10. I Gotta Move On
Bonus Tracks:
11. Heaven Knows (7” Version)
12. It’s Somethin’ (Radio Mix)
13. Baby Don’t Cry (Radio Version)
14. Heaven Knows (Yvonne Turner Remix)
15. It’s Somethin’ (12” Mix)
16. Baby Don’t Cry (Crybaby Club Version)
17. Somethin’ (Smoove & Sassy Mix)

[CD2: A Moment]
1. Let Me Love You
2. Rise
3. Family Affair
4. These Are The Things (You Do To Me)
5. Do You Suppose
6. Better As A Memory
7. Bad By Myself
8. Lean On Me
9. Separate Ways
10. Long After U Have Gone
11. I’m Not Over You
12. A Moment
13. So They Say
Bonus Tracks:
14. Night And Day
15. Let Me Love You (Bed Time Mix)
16. Dreams Don’t Lie (Club Mix)
17. Separate Ways (Stringapella)
18. Night And Day (Acappella Version)

Not a fan of her rendition of "It's Somethin'." The original was SO MUCH BETTER by Donna Washington, 1981 Capitol Records from the now remastered/reissued CD (Soulmusic Records) "Going For The Glow." <3

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 07/31/19 7:37am

Cinny

avatar

SoulAlive said:

so no one's excited about those P-Funk vinyl reissues? lol I already ordered my copies!


Everyone's got 'em already smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 07/31/19 12:31pm

getxxxx

avatar

whitechocolatebrotha said:

getxxxx said:

Image

Description
Long-awaited expanded double-CD edition of acclaimed soul-jazz vocal stylist and songwriter Lalah Hathaway’s first two albums – “Lalah Hathaway” (1990) and “A Moment” (1994). Features a wealth of bonus material including hard-to-find mixes, b-sides and rare Japanese-only single ‘Night And Day’.

This double-disc is the first-ever comprehensive compilation of her recordings for Virgin Records.

Daughter of soul legend the late great Donny Hathaway, the renowned songstress Lalah Hathaway is a multiple Grammy and ASCAP Award winner.

Her 1990 debut “Lalah Hathaway” encompasses Brit-soul, jazz, R&B, and swingbeat, including the US R&B hits ‘Heaven Knows’, ‘Baby Don’t Cry’ and ‘It’s Somethin’. Collaborators include top producers Angela Winbush (Stephanie Mills/Isley Brothers), Derek Bramble (Jaki Graham/David Bowie), Andre Fischer (Rufus/Brenda Russell) and more.

Her 1994 follow-up “A Moment” includes her UK top 40 cover of Sly & The Family Stone’s ‘Family Affair’ with The British Electric Foundation, as well as production by Brian Alexander Morgan (SWV), Sami McKinney (Anita Baker/Patti LaBelle) and Chuckii Booker (Troop/Vanessa Williams).

20-page booklet includes selected track commentary by Lalah, rare photos, discography and brand new interview with the artist by project-producer/ex-Attitude editor Adam Mattera.

Tracklist
[CD1: Lalah Hathaway]
1. Somethin’
2. Heaven Knows
3. Baby Don’t Cry
4. Smile
5. U-Godit Gowin On
6. Obvious
7. Stay Home Tonight
8. I’m Coming Back
9. Sentimental
10. I Gotta Move On
Bonus Tracks:
11. Heaven Knows (7” Version)
12. It’s Somethin’ (Radio Mix)
13. Baby Don’t Cry (Radio Version)
14. Heaven Knows (Yvonne Turner Remix)
15. It’s Somethin’ (12” Mix)
16. Baby Don’t Cry (Crybaby Club Version)
17. Somethin’ (Smoove & Sassy Mix)

[CD2: A Moment]
1. Let Me Love You
2. Rise
3. Family Affair
4. These Are The Things (You Do To Me)
5. Do You Suppose
6. Better As A Memory
7. Bad By Myself
8. Lean On Me
9. Separate Ways
10. Long After U Have Gone
11. I’m Not Over You
12. A Moment
13. So They Say
Bonus Tracks:
14. Night And Day
15. Let Me Love You (Bed Time Mix)
16. Dreams Don’t Lie (Club Mix)
17. Separate Ways (Stringapella)
18. Night And Day (Acappella Version)

Not a fan of her rendition of "It's Somethin'." The original was SO MUCH BETTER by Donna Washington, 1981 Capitol Records from the now remastered/reissued CD (Soulmusic Records) "Going For The Glow." <3

I prefer the Brenda Russell version the writer of the song.

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 07/31/19 1:21pm

kitbradley

avatar

whitechocolatebrotha said:

getxxxx said:

Image

Description
Long-awaited expanded double-CD edition of acclaimed soul-jazz vocal stylist and songwriter Lalah Hathaway’s first two albums – “Lalah Hathaway” (1990) and “A Moment” (1994). Features a wealth of bonus material including hard-to-find mixes, b-sides and rare Japanese-only single ‘Night And Day’.

This double-disc is the first-ever comprehensive compilation of her recordings for Virgin Records.

Daughter of soul legend the late great Donny Hathaway, the renowned songstress Lalah Hathaway is a multiple Grammy and ASCAP Award winner.

Her 1990 debut “Lalah Hathaway” encompasses Brit-soul, jazz, R&B, and swingbeat, including the US R&B hits ‘Heaven Knows’, ‘Baby Don’t Cry’ and ‘It’s Somethin’. Collaborators include top producers Angela Winbush (Stephanie Mills/Isley Brothers), Derek Bramble (Jaki Graham/David Bowie), Andre Fischer (Rufus/Brenda Russell) and more.

Her 1994 follow-up “A Moment” includes her UK top 40 cover of Sly & The Family Stone’s ‘Family Affair’ with The British Electric Foundation, as well as production by Brian Alexander Morgan (SWV), Sami McKinney (Anita Baker/Patti LaBelle) and Chuckii Booker (Troop/Vanessa Williams).

20-page booklet includes selected track commentary by Lalah, rare photos, discography and brand new interview with the artist by project-producer/ex-Attitude editor Adam Mattera.

Tracklist
[CD1: Lalah Hathaway]
1. Somethin’
2. Heaven Knows
3. Baby Don’t Cry
4. Smile
5. U-Godit Gowin On
6. Obvious
7. Stay Home Tonight
8. I’m Coming Back
9. Sentimental
10. I Gotta Move On
Bonus Tracks:
11. Heaven Knows (7” Version)
12. It’s Somethin’ (Radio Mix)
13. Baby Don’t Cry (Radio Version)
14. Heaven Knows (Yvonne Turner Remix)
15. It’s Somethin’ (12” Mix)
16. Baby Don’t Cry (Crybaby Club Version)
17. Somethin’ (Smoove & Sassy Mix)

[CD2: A Moment]
1. Let Me Love You
2. Rise
3. Family Affair
4. These Are The Things (You Do To Me)
5. Do You Suppose
6. Better As A Memory
7. Bad By Myself
8. Lean On Me
9. Separate Ways
10. Long After U Have Gone
11. I’m Not Over You
12. A Moment
13. So They Say
Bonus Tracks:
14. Night And Day
15. Let Me Love You (Bed Time Mix)
16. Dreams Don’t Lie (Club Mix)
17. Separate Ways (Stringapella)
18. Night And Day (Acappella Version)

Not a fan of her rendition of "It's Somethin'." The original was SO MUCH BETTER by Donna Washington, 1981 Capitol Records from the now remastered/reissued CD (Soulmusic Records) "Going For The Glow." <3

Not familiar with Donna Washington. I love Lalah's album version. Not sure why Virgin decided to film the video using the remix version. That particular version I never cared for. Lalah also does a great cover of Vesta Williams' "I'm Coming Back" on her debut. I do like Vesta's over-the-top version more, tho. biggrin

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Reissue Talk #37