independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 16th Nov 2019 6:02pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Madonna announces new album title - "Madame X"
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 13 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 04/25/19 3:49pm

thedoorkeeper

I can't decide if releasing that many songs prior to the albums release is a good idea or a bad idea.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 04/25/19 4:04pm

SoulAlive

thedoorkeeper said:

I can't decide if releasing that many songs prior to the albums release is a good idea or a bad idea.


It’s pretty much what everyone does these days.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 04/26/19 3:34am

Vannormal

avatar

SchlomoThaHomo said:

Maluma is hot as fuck. I was nauseated for him when she put her granny mouth on his toes. I mean, GIRL! barf

-

Ooh...

Agree!

smile

-

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 04/26/19 6:29am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

I don't think it's a mess at all. That's dismissive and lacks valid critique.

That said, I am enjoying the song more and more as I listen to it. I like the video: She meets a guy in a dance class and ends up marrying him, scared that she's exposing her true self to him. The lyrics talk about finding her real self again.

There are so many fun and probably unintentional throwbacks in the video: the white cowboy hat a la "Music"; the South American aesthetics of "Living For Love", and "La Isla Bonita"; the riding crop from "Erotica" (and the same could be said for the eye patch); the alter ego of Madame X vs that of Dita, your mistress for tonight in "Erotica"; and more.

There are a few sites that have the translated lyrics from Maluma and her in the song. It's a love song, two people against the world. And Madge has always been a ride or die sorta gal sometimes.

.

Its a nice song, a little tame but that is refreshing in a way versus an expected "disco banger". The video is kind of a snooze and long. I was hoping for a "1,2 cha cha cha" signature/viral dance move or some kind of violence or backstory for the eye patch lol also the scenes where she is doing a mating dance with the masked horseperson (is it a man or woman? is it her?) were confusing. Its colorful and they seemed to be having fun. Maybe my expectations need to be lower/less and simply be happy she is still out there doing the thing.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 04/26/19 11:21am

Cinny

avatar

thedoorkeeper said:

I can't decide if releasing that many songs prior to the albums release is a good idea or a bad idea.


Depends what side you are on. In the days of CDs, the only they could do is NOT release a CD single to force a CD sale. Now they release all the singles before the album so they get all the singles sold, then the album debuts at the best possible chart position because all the listeners are buying a "best of" the four singles by the time the album drops.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 04/26/19 2:03pm

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

Ugh!

To me the post mid 90s Madonna is like a totally different person to the pre mid 90s when she was trend setting and cool. Ever since then she's tried too hard to fit in and the music really sucks in comparison IMO. I can't bear all that cheesy electronica and autotune! That stuff should be banned!!!

[Edited 4/26/19 14:04pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 04/26/19 5:50pm

SoulAlive

TheFreakerFantastic said:

Ugh!


To me the post mid 90s Madonna is like a totally different person to the pre mid 90s when she was trend setting and cool. Ever since then she's tried too hard to fit in and the music really sucks in comparison IMO. I can't bear all that cheesy electronica and autotune! That stuff should be banned!!!




Madonna is a 60-year old veteran artist.Do you really expect her to be “setting trends” in 2019? lol as far as I can see,*nobody* is setting trends in pop music anymore.There is no more ground to break,so why should we hold Madonna to these unrealistic expectations? It never makes sense to me when fans say stuff like “she used to be so trendsetting but now she just follows trends”,lol.Name one veteran artist over 60 who is still setting trends in music right now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 04/26/19 10:44pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

SoulAlive said:

TheFreakerFantastic said:

Ugh!

To me the post mid 90s Madonna is like a totally different person to the pre mid 90s when she was trend setting and cool. Ever since then she's tried too hard to fit in and the music really sucks in comparison IMO. I can't bear all that cheesy electronica and autotune! That stuff should be banned!!!

Madonna is a 60-year old veteran artist.Do you really expect her to be “setting trends” in 2019? lol as far as I can see,*nobody* is setting trends in pop music anymore.There is no more ground to break,so why should we hold Madonna to these unrealistic expectations? It never makes sense to me when fans say stuff like “she used to be so trendsetting but now she just follows trends”,lol.Name one veteran artist over 60 who is still setting trends in music right now.

hmmm yeahthat

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 04/27/19 12:20am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Goddess4Real said:

SoulAlive said:

TheFreakerFantastic said: Madonna is a 60-year old veteran artist.Do you really expect her to be “setting trends” in 2019? lol as far as I can see,*nobody* is setting trends in pop music anymore.There is no more ground to break,so why should we hold Madonna to these unrealistic expectations? It never makes sense to me when fans say stuff like “she used to be so trendsetting but now she just follows trends”,lol.Name one veteran artist over 60 who is still setting trends in music right now.

hmmm yeahthat

Well, all I can say is that I am looking forward to Madge's new album; I always find something I like.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 04/27/19 2:37am

Cloudbuster

avatar

SoulAlive said:


It’s pretty much what everyone does these days.


Bonkers marketing strategy though. Part of the fun was anticipating what the follow up singles after an album's release would be.
I like the new single well enough, initially it seemed rather hookless but it sticks after a few listens.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 04/27/19 4:19am

Matthaus

SoulAlive said:

*nobody* is setting trends in pop music anymore.

Or better: no matter what trends there are, it's not in pop music that they happen no more. confused

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 04/27/19 7:37am

Glindathegood

Cloudbuster said:



SoulAlive said:



It’s pretty much what everyone does these days.


Bonkers marketing strategy though. Part of the fun was anticipating what the follow up singles after an album's release would be.
I like the new single well enough, initially it seemed rather hookless but it sticks after a few listens.



It’s because of streaming. A stream of one song counts as a stream for the whole album. So if you release more songs, you get more streams. People want to stream different songs instead of listening to the same song over and over. These songs aren’t always promoted as conventional singles though with videos and worked to radio.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 04/27/19 8:55am

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

SoulAlive said:

TheFreakerFantastic said:

Ugh!

To me the post mid 90s Madonna is like a totally different person to the pre mid 90s when she was trend setting and cool. Ever since then she's tried too hard to fit in and the music really sucks in comparison IMO. I can't bear all that cheesy electronica and autotune! That stuff should be banned!!!

Madonna is a 60-year old veteran artist.Do you really expect her to be “setting trends” in 2019? lol as far as I can see,*nobody* is setting trends in pop music anymore.There is no more ground to break,so why should we hold Madonna to these unrealistic expectations? It never makes sense to me when fans say stuff like “she used to be so trendsetting but now she just follows trends”,lol.Name one veteran artist over 60 who is still setting trends in music right now.

I'd rather she copied her earlier 80s self than followed the other crap that's out there now just to stay relevant.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 04/27/19 1:28pm

phillymonster

Most of the reviews are surprisingly good. There is one nasty review from Jezebel, who age-shamed and slut-shamed Madge in their review of the video. I won't post it to give her clicks. So much for a site being "feminist," But, Madonna fans called her out on Twitter and found some of her old tweets, which she frantically deleted and then tried to block everyone.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 04/27/19 3:47pm

SoulAlive

Cloudbuster said:

SoulAlive said:


It’s pretty much what everyone does these days.


Bonkers marketing strategy though. Part of the fun was anticipating what the follow up singles after an album's release would be.

that is true.Some fans are saying that they won't listen to the pre-release singles.I wish I had that type of self-control,lol.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 04/28/19 3:36am

Cloudbuster

avatar

Glindathegood said:

It’s because of streaming. A stream of one song counts as a stream for the whole album. So if you release more songs, you get more streams. People want to stream different songs instead of listening to the same song over and over. These songs aren’t always promoted as conventional singles though with videos and worked to radio.


Yeah, it can get confusing. The UK Chart Company limited the number of songs that an artist can have on the singles chart after Ed Sheeran took all but one place in the top 10 when his last album was released. Only the three most popular songs by an artist are now allowed to make the list. Maybe more artists should follow Adele and Taylor Swift and keep their albums off of streaming platforms for a few months after release to help generate physical sales.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 04/28/19 3:43am

Cloudbuster

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Cloudbuster said:


Bonkers marketing strategy though. Part of the fun was anticipating what the follow up singles after an album's release would be.

that is true.Some fans are saying that they won't listen to the pre-release singles.I wish I had that type of self-control,lol.


I prefer to wait but sometimes it's just too easy to hear half an album before it's out. So yeah, more discipline needed I guess. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 04/29/19 7:13pm

Matthaus

madonna-i-rise-gakaza-com-May-Thursday-02-05-2019.jpg

New single cover, out on friday.

[Edited 5/2/19 17:31pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 04/29/19 7:22pm

SoulAlive

according to one source,”I Rise” is an anthemic ballad.

Fans are waiting to hear the big “disco track” of which a video was already made.That song is “Killers Who Are Partying”.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 04/30/19 6:46am

Matthaus

SoulAlive said:

according to one source,”I Rise” is an anthemic ballad. Fans are waiting to hear the big “disco track” of which a video was already made.That song is “Killers Who Are Partying”.

When I saw the title I thought it was a musical version of Maya Angelou's Still I Rise lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 04/30/19 9:10am

nextedition

avatar

Cloudbuster said:

Glindathegood said:

It’s because of streaming. A stream of one song counts as a stream for the whole album. So if you release more songs, you get more streams. People want to stream different songs instead of listening to the same song over and over. These songs aren’t always promoted as conventional singles though with videos and worked to radio.


Yeah, it can get confusing. The UK Chart Company limited the number of songs that an artist can have on the singles chart after Ed Sheeran took all but one place in the top 10 when his last album was released. Only the three most popular songs by an artist are now allowed to make the list. Maybe more artists should follow Adele and Taylor Swift and keep their albums off of streaming platforms for a few months after release to help generate physical sales.

This just show how bullshit charts are. So you can have 4 songs being to most popular in a country, but one song will not appear becuase of a certain rule. Another song from another artist will be there, which is not the most popular, but because of this rule all of a sudden is

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 04/30/19 10:51am

Glindathegood

Matthaus said:



SoulAlive said:


according to one source,”I Rise” is an anthemic ballad. Fans are waiting to hear the big “disco track” of which a video was already made.That song is “Killers Who Are Partying”.


When I saw the title I thought it was a musical version of Maya Angelou's Still I Rise lol



I think the lyrics may be inspired by that poem. She did post the poem in her Instagram not that long ago.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 04/30/19 11:29am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

I'm an interesting mix of excited and terrified by what will happen tomorrow night at the Billboard awards. Rumor is our gal has sunk a small fortune into this performance and has been given almost seven minutes of live airtime.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 04/30/19 1:58pm

SoulAlive

there's so much confusion and rumors about Madonna's next single lol

IMG-8952-2019-04-29_00-49-55_685547.jpg?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 04/30/19 2:06pm

SoulAlive

however,another (more reliable) source says that "I Rise" is an anthemic ballad and that,as of now,there is no video for it lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 05/01/19 6:05am

kremlinshadow

avatar

Glindathegood said:

Matthaus said:

When I saw the title I thought it was a musical version of Maya Angelou's Still I Rise lol

I think the lyrics may be inspired by that poem. She did post the poem in her Instagram not that long ago.

'Inspired' .... That's Madonna's excuse for copying others work all the time.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 05/01/19 6:18am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Maluma has announced a third Madonna collaboration will be on his new album 11:11, due May 17th.

.

https://www.amazon.com/So...mp;sr=8-12

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 05/01/19 12:39pm

SoulAlive

rehearsing for the Billboard Awards performance

14e87sp.png

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 05/01/19 1:01pm

Matthaus

SoulAlive said:

rehearsing for the Billboard Awards performance

14e87sp.png

That's a pretty pair of pants. evillol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 05/01/19 1:52pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Maybe he needs to pad his rear to match up with hers visually. I am still dreading yet excited about tonight's performance! The rehearsal audience looks delighted so thats promising.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 13 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Madonna announces new album title - "Madame X"