independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Mi Gente - J Balvin and Willy William (and an annoying new trend)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

728huey

Mi Gente - J Balvin and Willy William (and an annoying new trend)

On the heels of "Despacito" comes the next Latin crossover track to storm up the Billboard Hot 100.

Now I listened to this and thought it wasn't too bad. It has that hip-hop/reggaeton vibe to it, so I can see why it's pretty popular at this time. But I also noticed that some record company executive saw the success of "Despacito" and thought why don't we slap some verse by a huge pop artist on there so it can cross over to mainstream audiences. So now there's a remixed track with Beyonce on it.

What's next? Are we going to see Taylor Swift slap a verse on some Juan Gabriel track? Is Nicky Jam going to do a duet with Ed Sheeran?

sigh disbelief typing

[Edited 10/14/17 21:36pm]

- E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/14/17 7:16pm

dancerella

Oh brother! These are also the kind of song that every zumba instructor uses in class and the crowd goes nuts.

I'm also noticing a trend of that faux island sound on songs like Shape of you and One danceby Drake. It's almost a sub genre now.
Reply #2 posted 10/16/17 1:36pm

paisleypark4

Balvin been out for the last 7 years and he did a great track with Pharrell which was how I got to hear him for the first time.

I'm just glad he is having constant hits out now and getting recognized. Keep it coming J Balvin. Reggaeton getting some love for once.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
Reply #3 posted 10/16/17 1:59pm

StrangeButTrue

It makes sense to do the same moves they did on hip hop to Island/Latin music that make hip hop so wonderful, memorable, and strong selling as it is today. Its not pandering its integration. Even six year olds can rap along to the #1 hip hop like Cardi B. and no one bats an eye, its cute. At least maybe someone will learn somethin', hell even I learned how to say gasoline in Spanish from listening to reggaeton.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
Reply #4 posted 10/16/17 5:21pm

paisleypark4 said:

Balvin been out for the last 7 years and he did a great track with Pharrell which was how I got to hear him for the first time.

I'm just glad he is having constant hits out now and getting recognized. Keep it coming J Balvin. Reggaeton getting some love for once.

Safari is such a good song. It's hypnotic.

New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Mi Gente - J Balvin and Willy William (and an annoying new trend)