independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 23rd Feb 2020 6:42pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Help: I need the Funk tracks from George Duke
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/18/17 9:17am

Graycap23

avatar

Help: I need the Funk tracks from George Duke

Can u guys please help me out? I'm trying to compile a list of George Dunk funk songs.

The only ones that I know well are:

Dukey Stick

Reach for it.......

I know he has way more than that. I was trying to go thru his catalogue but most of that is jazz type songs that I don't really care for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/18/17 9:25am

Caramelpfe

avatar

I want you for myself (from 1979s Master of the game)

Life has a way of making you live it. . . .
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/18/17 11:45am

marksinclair

avatar

Brazilian love affair
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/20/17 9:32am

HardcoreJollie
s

avatar

Watch Out Baby (also on the Reach for It album)

Funkin for the Thrill and Pluck (from Follow the Rainbow)

Pluck is one of my Duke faves.

If you've got funk, you've got style.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/20/17 9:46am

Graycap23

avatar

HardcoreJollies said:

Watch Out Baby (also on the Reach for It album)

Funkin for the Thrill and Pluck (from Follow the Rainbow)

Pluck is one of my Duke faves.

Watch out Baby....that BASS. Never heard this joint.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/20/17 10:31am

HuMpThAnG

avatar

The Mothership Connection remake w/Stanley Clarke biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/20/17 11:00am

funkdoctorrock

The funk without the jazz?
That's kinda blasphemous.lol..
One the key jazz funk pioneers in the 70s...One of my fav keyboardist..Top three.. him and Patrice, Lonnie Liston smith,Webster Lewis, Ronnie Foster,Gene Harris.Herbie.Deodato..Bobby Lyle ,Dexter wansel,Jeff Lorber,many others,did wonders for the genre.. Keyboarding wise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/20/17 11:00am

Graycap23

avatar

HuMpThAnG said:

The Mothership Connection remake w/Stanley Clarke biggrin

That one is 2 ez......

So far only these few tracks.......

Maybe he didn't have that many funk joints?

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/20/17 11:37am

HuMpThAnG

avatar

Graycap23 said:

HuMpThAnG said:

The Mothership Connection remake w/Stanley Clarke biggrin

That one is 2 ez......

So far only these few tracks.......

Maybe he didn't have that many funk joints?

Probably

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/20/17 12:28pm

Graycap23

avatar

funkdoctorrock said:

The funk without the jazz? That's kinda blasphemous.lol.. One the key jazz funk pioneers in the 70s...One of my fav keyboardist..Top three.. him and Patrice, Lonnie Liston smith,Webster Lewis, Ronnie Foster,Gene Harris.Herbie.Deodato..Bobby Lyle ,Dexter wansel,Jeff Lorber,many others,did wonders for the genre.. Keyboarding wise.

Jazz puts me to sleep.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/20/17 12:59pm

HuMpThAnG

avatar

Graycap23 said:

funkdoctorrock said:

The funk without the jazz? That's kinda blasphemous.lol.. One the key jazz funk pioneers in the 70s...One of my fav keyboardist..Top three.. him and Patrice, Lonnie Liston smith,Webster Lewis, Ronnie Foster,Gene Harris.Herbie.Deodato..Bobby Lyle ,Dexter wansel,Jeff Lorber,many others,did wonders for the genre.. Keyboarding wise.

Jazz puts me to sleep.

even The Madhouse stuff?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/20/17 1:08pm

Graycap23

avatar

HuMpThAnG said:

Graycap23 said:

Jazz puts me to sleep.

even The Madhouse stuff?

Prince...or course not.

I can only tolerate a handful of jazz cats:

Prince

Marcus Miller

Meshell

Banford Marcelias old group

Stanley Clark

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/20/17 3:59pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

YeS

marksinclair said:

Brazilian love affair

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/20/17 4:05pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

You're missing out..

some of the most mellow, deep, heavy, spiritual,groovy and FUNKY sounds EVER

were laid down in the 70's JAZZ/FUNK World..

ask any sample based hip hop Producer.. wink

Graycap23 said:

HuMpThAnG said:

even The Madhouse stuff?

Prince...or course not.

I can only tolerate a handful of jazz cats:

Prince

Marcus Miller

Meshell

Banford Marcelias old group

Stanley Clark

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/20/17 4:30pm

Graycap23

avatar

MD431Madcat said:

You're missing out..

some of the most mellow, deep, heavy, spiritual,groovy and FUNKY sounds EVER

were laid down in the 70's JAZZ/FUNK World..

ask any sample based hip hop Producer.. wink

Graycap23 said:

Prince...or course not.

I can only tolerate a handful of jazz cats:

Prince

Marcus Miller

Meshell

Banford Marcelias old group

Stanley Clark

I'm sure I am.......but any jazz I listen to has to have some funk element to it.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/21/17 12:50am

MD431Madcat

avatar


Graycap23 said:

MD431Madcat said:

You're missing out..

some of the most mellow, deep, heavy, spiritual,groovy and FUNKY sounds EVER

were laid down in the 70's JAZZ/FUNK World..

ask any sample based hip hop Producer.. wink

I'm sure I am.......but any jazz I listen to has to have some funk element to it.

[Edited 2/21/17 0:52am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/21/17 6:59pm

206Michelle

Not sure if it meets the definition of funk, but his song T Jam is fantastic. T Jam was the theme song for Tavis Smiley's radio show on NPR several years ago.

Live 4 Love ~ Love is God, God is love, Girls and boys love God above
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/22/17 5:20am

Identity



FunkNroll, baby!

headbang

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/22/17 10:17am

paligap

avatar

...

Here's a handful, off the top o' tha dome.....

Also, George Duke and Stanley Clarke produced, arranged, and played on this track, back in '78:

....

[Edited 2/22/17 13:51pm]

" I've got six things on my mind --you're no longer one of them." - Paddy McAloon, Prefab Sprout
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/22/17 2:16pm

Graycap23

avatar

paligap said:

...

Here's a handful, off the top o' tha dome.....

Also, George Duke and Stanley Clarke produced, arranged, and played on this track, back in '78:

....

[Edited 2/22/17 13:51pm]

Nice list....Thanks.

U guys are giving some good stuff.

Thanks to everyone with the recommendations.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/22/17 8:34pm

woogiebear

I Am For Real (May The Funk Be With You)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/22/17 9:06pm

Abdul

From his 1977 album From Me To You is my favorite Duke funky instrumental 'Scuse Me Miss

From his 1982 album Dream On is one of his funky hits Shine On with the great Louis Johnson on bass

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 02/24/17 11:46am

HardcoreJollie
s

avatar

paligap said:

...

Here's a handful, off the top o' tha dome.....

Also, George Duke and Stanley Clarke produced, arranged, and played on this track, back in '78:

....

[Edited 2/22/17 13:51pm]

Was unfamiliar with Is Love Enough. That is a hidden gem of funk. Thanks for that.

If you've got funk, you've got style.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 02/24/17 1:39pm

daingermouz202
0

Caramelpfe said:

I want you for myself (from 1979s Master of the game)



Yep, that's my favorite George Duke Jam. I don't know who that vocalist is on that song but she can blow. She definitely needed to drop an album of her own. She doesn't exactly sound like them but she's to me vocally like a Deniece Williams, Syretta, Anita Ward & Renee Diggs.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 02/24/17 2:17pm

Identity

daingermouz2020 said:

Caramelpfe said:

I want you for myself (from 1979s Master of the game)

Yep, that's my favorite George Duke Jam. I don't know who that vocalist is on that song but she can blow. She definitely needed to drop an album of her own. She doesn't exactly sound like them but she's to me vocally like a Deniece Williams, Syretta, Anita Ward & Renee Diggs.





Lynn Davis

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 02/25/17 12:34am

paligap

avatar

...

Actually, I also remember this being played a lot on Funk stations when I was growing up:

...

George Duke - Movin On


.....

...and this was a big Dance hit....

George Duke - Shine On


....

[Edited 2/25/17 0:53am]

" I've got six things on my mind --you're no longer one of them." - Paddy McAloon, Prefab Sprout
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 02/25/17 9:04am

Graycap23

avatar

Some of this stuff is R&B but no matter.

Thanks again.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Help: I need the Funk tracks from George Duke