independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Mariah bombs at tree lighting
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 12/04/14 9:44pm

jon1967

Jus wanna see her naked ..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 12/05/14 12:21am

phunkdaddy

avatar

She'll be fine. She'll just SHAKE IT OFF

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 12/05/14 2:36am

mjscarousal

While I like alot of Mariah's 90's music, I always thought she was slightly overrated. I think she should take some time off from the spotlight, focus on her kids and moving on from the divorce. Nick is childish. He favorited a tweeted that trashed Mariah's vocals.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 12/05/14 5:29am

missfee

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

She'll be fine. She'll just SHAKE IT OFF

spit

I will forever love and miss you...my sweet Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 12/05/14 9:20am

2020

avatar

Mariah is toast, ova, done done! anyone who doesn't believe it and somehow thinks that it was an okay performance needs to watch and listen to this audio of just her awful awful voice


[Edited 12/5/14 9:22am]
The greatest live performer of our times was is and always will be Prince.

Remember there is only one destination and that place is U
All of it. Everything. Is U.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 12/05/14 9:26am

Empress

2020 said:Mariah is toast, ova, done done! anyone who doesn't believe it and somehow thinks that it was an okay performance needs to watch and listen to this audio of just her awful awful voice [Edited 12/5/14 9:22am] - Bloody awful. Clean your ears out folks. This performance sucked much like her other recent performances.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 12/05/14 9:31am

Cinny

avatar

I see she is still RICHER THAN JAY-Z on the Forbes list.

She performed this wonderfully just last year.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 12/05/14 9:53am

paisleypark4

avatar

Graycap23 said:



Farfunknugin said:


Never understood the hype with her. All those runs & ear piercing tones do nothing to my ears but make them bleed.



Me either. her best cd was her 1st. After that.....garbage.




Lies! Lol.

Seriously though that was an alright album compared to Butterfly or Emancipation
Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 12/05/14 10:45am

Fury

avatar

Empress said:

2020 said:Mariah is toast, ova, done done! anyone who doesn't believe it and somehow thinks that it was an okay performance needs to watch and listen to this audio of just her awful awful voice [Edited 12/5/14 9:22am] - Bloody awful. Clean your ears out folks. This performance sucked much like her other recent performances.

On par with Whitney's last performances
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 12/05/14 12:17pm

novabrkr

She starts to get out of breath very early on. I don't know if that's because she's just out of shape or if it's caused by whatever she must wearing under that dress to make her waist look slimmer than what it is. I remember seeing her in an interview a while ago and she was out of breath just after a minute or so into the interview. I thought it was rather ridiculous and all she did was talk on the couch then(!). I mean, for her to be as thick as she is these days, she really doesn't seem to have a belly here. It's tucked in tight, right?


But I'd still say that her pitch control and intonation is within the limits of what you could expect from most live performers. It's not a good performance, but not so awful either if you overlook some parts of it. As someone that's worked as a sound guy for several years, in studio and doing live gigs, I can assure you that most isolated vocal tracks sound rather bad. That's because a lot of the harmonic content that the singers are singing "against", and partly relying on to make the melodies sound the way they should, is gone.



  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 12/05/14 12:37pm

luvsexy4all

she should

oNLY record or sing with janet ..so i can ignore them both at the same time

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 12/05/14 1:36pm

BlackCat1985

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

she should


oNLY record or sing with janet ..so i can ignore them both at the same time


Wtf does Janet have to do with this?
BlackCat1985
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 12/05/14 4:19pm

TheGoldStandar
d

novabrkr said:

She starts to get out of breath very early on. I don't know if that's because she's just out of shape or if it's caused by whatever she must wearing under that dress to make her waist look slimmer than what it is. I remember seeing her in an interview a while ago and she was out of breath just after a minute or so into the interview. I thought it was rather ridiculous and all she did was talk on the couch then(!). I mean, for her to be as thick as she is these days, she really doesn't seem to have a belly here. It's tucked in tight, right?



But I'd still say that her pitch control and intonation is within the limits of what you could expect from most live performers. It's not a good performance, but not so awful either if you overlook some parts of it. As someone that's worked as a sound guy for several years, in studio and doing live gigs, I can assure you that most isolated vocal tracks sound rather bad. That's because a lot of the harmonic content that the singers are singing "against", and partly relying on to make the melodies sound the way they should, is gone.




.
we're going there, right? I believe Mariah's belly may be her final career downfall. Although I may prefer to see it bust out unexpectedly during, say, the final run on "vision of love", we may only ever know once she's passed on. its like when i found out carrot top was bald or bruce jenner wanted to be a woman - i knew it all along but to finally see it is a whole other thing.
.
the sad truth may be that the core of folks who drop money on her act dont give a fuck about her boobs and her waistline as they sleep with men, have bellies too, will fuck anyone, or are children. this type of shenanigans, at her age, only makes her appear weak to those who smell fear/desperation to look relevant (classic mariah). same as when miss prince didn't appear at the end of snl like erryone else does, then nukes his social media. i can go on instagram or anything like that and look at, even interact with women that have real, awesome, unique to them ladyparts. do kids in their teens and twenties, even thirties, see mariah as doable? totally. but those folks aint buyin records or tickets. its like a house with a great exterior that is dilapidated inside because who cares about inside?
mariah has always been more about image than substance.

i'd love to see mariah just let it all go physically and have a "fat aretha" style career renaissance. at this point her feat. hot rapper tracks outnumber her classics.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 12/05/14 6:53pm

SoulAlive

scriptgirl said:

I don't understand-how did she lose her voice? Drugs? How does this happen and can it be reversed?

I don't think she smokes or uses drugs....it's most likely a case of not taking care of her voice all these years.I could be wrong,though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 12/05/14 7:17pm

Glindathegood

SoulAlive said:

scriptgirl said:

I don't understand-how did she lose her voice? Drugs? How does this happen and can it be reversed?

I don't think she smokes or uses drugs....it's most likely a case of not taking care of her voice all these years.I could be wrong,though.

I would think it would be her style of singing, the belting with the very high notes. That is hard on your voice. I'm not a Mariah fan at all but I really don't think the vocals were as bad as everyone is saying. She still sounds like Mariah but she does struggle with some of the highest notes.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 12/05/14 7:41pm

kitbradley

avatar

I'm not giving up on Mimi yet. Chaka's voice sounded horrible for several years in the early-mid 00's. She sounds way better now. And she's still smoking (cigarettes). lol



[Edited 12/5/14 19:42pm]

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 12/05/14 9:27pm

FanofMusic84

SoulAlive said:

scriptgirl said:

I don't understand-how did she lose her voice? Drugs? How does this happen and can it be reversed?

I don't think she smokes or uses drugs....it's most likely a case of not taking care of her voice all these years.I could be wrong,though.

Alcoholic beverages depletes the voice of moisture. Mariah suffers from nodules.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 12/05/14 9:48pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

Graycap23 said:

Me either. her best cd was her 1st. After that................garbage.

Lies! Lol. Seriously though that was an alright album compared to Butterfly or Emancipation

My favorites are Music Box, Daydream, and Glitter

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 12/06/14 10:01am

luvsexy4all

BlackCat1985 said:

luvsexy4all said:

she should

oNLY record or sing with janet ..so i can ignore them both at the same time

Wtf does Janet have to do with this?

nothing per se..i just dont like em both

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 12/06/14 12:38pm

1contessa

whitechocolatebrotha said:

She just had an "off" performance. It was cold outside and instead of breakin' her down, why not just build your sista UP? It's a rangey song and she handled it with her usual aplomb despite the pitch issues. Her throat was probably dry and the air most likely didn't help matters any. LOVE Mariah!

Uh, no. It was not just an "off" performance, because that's not the only time she has sounded horrible while singing, it's been happening a lot lately.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 12/06/14 12:39pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Good grief--even the best singers can have an off day. I'm not even a Mariah fan--give the woman a break.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 12/06/14 3:39pm

uPtoWnNY

2020 said:

Mariah is toast, ova, done done! anyone who doesn't believe it and somehow thinks that it was an okay performance needs to watch and listen to this audio of just her awful awful voice [Edited 12/5/14 9:22am]

My cousin's cat sings better than that shit......

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 12/06/14 5:20pm

Glindathegood

FanofMusic84 said:

SoulAlive said:

I don't think she smokes or uses drugs....it's most likely a case of not taking care of her voice all these years.I could be wrong,though.

Alcoholic beverages depletes the voice of moisture. Mariah suffers from nodules.

Really? I thought nodules were caused by overuse of your voice. Mariah doesn't tour a lot so I don't see how her voice is overstressed. But I don't think it's fair to post her singing from just her mic without instrumentation and the backing vocals. Singers are trying to harmonize with the backing vocals. No one sounds good with the vocals alone. It wasn't a good performance, but it wasn't quite the disaster everyone says it was.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 12/06/14 5:25pm

728huey

avatar

missfee said:

phunkdaddy said:

She'll be fine. She'll just SHAKE IT OFF

spit


How? 'Cause the loving ain't the same / And you keep on playing games / Like you know I'm here to stay…

or

'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play / And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate / Baby I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake / Shake it off, shake it off

typing

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 12/06/14 5:27pm

TD3

avatar

scriptgirl said:

I don't understand-how did she lose her voice? Drugs? How does this happen and can it be reversed?

Singers have consumed one drug or another forever (I include cigarettes) and most did "lose" their voices because of it. Its called father or mother time... some artist the deterioration come a bit early than for other.

Its probably an issue of "over singing" and not taking care of her instrument properly.. I go back to Frank Sinatra who had to change his sing style because he "oversung" for years, his he singing was grand but he did damage to his vocal chords.


Mariah needs to make some adjustments and sing in a lower key... what I heard she still has control of a note and her tone isn't bad.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 12/07/14 11:20am

jon1967

ugh that was painful to watch n listen to ... fingernails on a chalkboard

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 12/08/14 4:26pm

morningsong

The only thing that comes to my mind are opera singers, I don't know how long their voices last, but I know their voices take a lickin' and they seem to go on for at least a few decades before it goes. One thing is they KNOW they have to be disciplined with their voice care, it's like it's built into the culture of the art. Seems in the pop world, the lifestyle makes the artist forget that the same discipline that got them there is the same discipline that'll keep them there, slacking shows.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 12/09/14 5:40am

JustErin

avatar

MidniteMagnet said:

I don't understand why this performance (of all) is spreading through the media. She's given MUCH WORSE performances. One commenter said she dodged the whistles. Umm, this song doesn't have any whistles.

Besides, Mariah's vocal during this performance is better than any artist currently being played on Top 40.

Instead, they should be dragging her for the contouring on her double chin. Good lord, did Coco Montrese do her makeup??

She did sound dry though!! I'm a lamb but I tell it like it is.


Absolutely not true. lol

Anyway, pretty much every time I've seen her sing live, she struggles. She has never been able to replicate her studio versions live.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 12/09/14 5:52am

kitbradley

avatar

Struggling or not, I'm just glad she's still with us and not doing dumb shit like being strung out on drugs and over-dosing.

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 12/09/14 5:58am

Adaora

JustErin said:



MidniteMagnet said:


I don't understand why this performance (of all) is spreading through the media. She's given MUCH WORSE performances. One commenter said she dodged the whistles. Umm, this song doesn't have any whistles.



Besides, Mariah's vocal during this performance is better than any artist currently being played on Top 40.



Instead, they should be dragging her for the contouring on her double chin. Good lord, did Coco Montrese do her makeup??



She did sound dry though!! I'm a lamb but I tell it like it is.




Absolutely not true. lol

Anyway, pretty much every time I've seen her sing live, she struggles. She has never been able to replicate her studio versions live.





In her prime yes she absolutely could replicate her studio versions and sing them even better.

Anyway yea she's been singing for 20+ years, her chords are damaged but she really doesn't need to prove anything to anyone at this point. One of the greatest voices of our time.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Mariah bombs at tree lighting