independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Boy Georges new album is amazing!...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/27/13 7:16am

funkyhead

Boy Georges new album is amazing!...

wow i am totally and utterly floored at the quality of this. The voice has matured into a soulful, aged gravel tone..it sounds like a life has been lived!. As for the songs?, christ the deadly combo of fab/ meaningful lyrics with very strong hooks and melodies is all over this. Please take the time to check it out. has anyone else got it?, what do think of it?
[Edited 12/27/13 7:16am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/27/13 8:37am

NoVideo

avatar

I like it as well, especially his cover of Yoko Ono's classic "Death of Samantha." He does such a beautiful job with it.

* * *

Prince's Classic Finally Expanded
The Deluxe 'Purple Rain' Reissue

http://www.popmatters.com...n-reissue/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/27/13 9:04am

Glindathegood

I know it was positively reviewed but I really didn't like it too much. I really don't care for his voice that much now. I hate the gravelly sound he has. It's like he's straining for every note. He sounds like Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen, instead of the Boy George I grew up with. I guess it's not my thing. It has a very MOR sonically conservative sound to it. It was all very old sounding and dull to me. I prefer pop, electro or rock music that's a little more uptempo with some sense of fun. I really didn't find it that catchy or hear any really strong hooks. I thought the lyrics were pretty cliched honestly, with things taken from self help books.

But I know I"m in the minority, because Boy George is one of those people who somehow is above criticism, but honestly I think he's very overrated especially in recent years.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/27/13 10:51am

benjaminira

avatar

I did get it, and I love it! It took a few listens to really appreciate it. But his lyrics are always on point, and it's beautifully produced!

If it breaks when it bends, U better not put it in!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/27/13 10:58am

Glindathegood

benjaminira said:

I did get it, and I love it! It took a few listens to really appreciate it. But his lyrics are always on point, and it's beautifully produced!

The problem I have with his lyrics is they are filled with these spiritual cliches which are at odds with the person he really is. He has always been quite the bitch who is vindictive and spiteful. So I don't buy what he's singing. He doesn't look at himself honestly, but at this idealized picture he has of himself which is greatly at odds with reality. It all seems very phony and self serving to me. I guess it's what's conventionally considered beautiful, but it's a total snoozefest to me.

As I said I'm sure everyone will love it, because he's put on this pedestal but it's not for me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/27/13 5:29pm

benjaminira

avatar

Glindathegood said:

benjaminira said:

I did get it, and I love it! It took a few listens to really appreciate it. But his lyrics are always on point, and it's beautifully produced!

The problem I have with his lyrics is they are filled with these spiritual cliches which are at odds with the person he really is. He has always been quite the bitch who is vindictive and spiteful. So I don't buy what he's singing. He doesn't look at himself honestly, but at this idealized picture he has of himself which is greatly at odds with reality. It all seems very phony and self serving to me. I guess it's what's conventionally considered beautiful, but it's a total snoozefest to me.

As I said I'm sure everyone will love it, because he's put on this pedestal but it's not for me.

Quit being so cynical! People can and do change! Aside from what U don't like about him as a person...can U appreciate it for what it is? It is MUSIC. Like the title of the album states..."This Is What I Do"

If it breaks when it bends, U better not put it in!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/28/13 8:50am

FormerlyKnownA
s

avatar

funkyhead said:

wow i am totally and utterly floored at the quality of this. The voice has matured into a soulful, aged gravel tone..it sounds like a life has been lived!. As for the songs?, christ the deadly combo of fab/ meaningful lyrics with very strong hooks and melodies is all over this. Please take the time to check it out. has anyone else got it?, what do think of it? [Edited 12/27/13 7:16am]


Thank you, I've been singing the praises of George's return for months now. Too many people, however, have already formed an opinion about him without hearing the new music, which is unfortunate. It may not be the Boy George people fell in love with during the onset of Culture Club, but as George has proven - he is not perfect. As with any artist, people put him on a pedestal and look forward to tearing him off it. It is a sad fact about how the nature of celebrity works (think of the greats: MJ, Madonna, Prince) and that so much celebrity is made from the stars' mistakes (trainwrecks). For George, he is a work in progress - whether it be dealing with his celebrity, weight, living in the shadow of his former self, personality quirks, aging, and the mistakes he's made along the way. For fans like myself, it is a gem just to witness his return and enjoy it to myself. So, to see you post this, it confirms my praises.

biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/28/13 10:15am

aardvark15

I've yet to hear it but can someone tell me how it is compared to the rest of his solo stuff? I love the cultur3e club albums but I hate nearly all of his solo stuff
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/28/13 11:15am

Gunsnhalen

aardvark15 said:

I've yet to hear it but can someone tell me how it is compared to the rest of his solo stuff? I love the cultur3e club albums but I hate nearly all of his solo stuff

eek Even the Jesus Loves You Album? That is his all time best work. But, yes his other solo. Most of it is shit lol

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/28/13 11:29am

aardvark15

Gunsnhalen said:



aardvark15 said:


I've yet to hear it but can someone tell me how it is compared to the rest of his solo stuff? I love the cultur3e club albums but I hate nearly all of his solo stuff

eek Even the Jesus Loves You Album? That is his all time best work. But, yes his other solo. Most of it is shit lol


I've never checked that out. How's that one compare to the Culture Club stuff? I figured that how bad his solo stuff is and how horrible the band name was it would be horrible.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/28/13 11:43am

Gunsnhalen

aardvark15 said:

Gunsnhalen said:

eek Even the Jesus Loves You Album? That is his all time best work. But, yes his other solo. Most of it is shit lol

I've never checked that out. How's that one compare to the Culture Club stuff? I figured that how bad his solo stuff is and how horrible the band name was it would be horrible.

It's better than anything he did with Culture Club.

Some tracks from it.






And in that era was the Pet Shop Boys produced The Crying Game. His only solo hit in America.

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/28/13 12:26pm

Glindathegood

benjaminira said:

Glindathegood said:

The problem I have with his lyrics is they are filled with these spiritual cliches which are at odds with the person he really is. He has always been quite the bitch who is vindictive and spiteful. So I don't buy what he's singing. He doesn't look at himself honestly, but at this idealized picture he has of himself which is greatly at odds with reality. It all seems very phony and self serving to me. I guess it's what's conventionally considered beautiful, but it's a total snoozefest to me.

As I said I'm sure everyone will love it, because he's put on this pedestal but it's not for me.

Quit being so cynical! People can and do change! Aside from what U don't like about him as a person...can U appreciate it for what it is? It is MUSIC. Like the title of the album states..."This Is What I Do"

No matter how feel about him as a person, I still don't like it as a piece of music. Why aren't I allowed to not like something? It's my opinion. People on here say all the time they don't like certain records by certain artists. But why is everyone required to like Boy George's new album?

And in my experience, most of the time people don't really change especially not in their fifties. They are who they are.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/28/13 12:31pm

Glindathegood

I actually like some of his solo stuff, l like Cheapness and Beauty and Jesus Loves You. I think both of those are better than this album.

The main problem is his voice is horrible now. I don't think it is better than Culture Club. CC was more pop oriented and more fun and uptempo. You will like it if you like very serious singer/songwriter acoustic music and MOR rock like Elton John and Robbie Williams and reggae like UB40 and you like husky voices like Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen. None of those are to my taste.

But I get this is fan thread for the album where no intelligent criticism is allowed.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/28/13 12:39pm

Glindathegood

FormerlyKnownAs said:


Thank you, I've been singing the praises of George's return for months now. Too many people, however, have already formed an opinion about him without hearing the new music, which is unfortunate. It may not be the Boy George people fell in love with during the onset of Culture Club, but as George has proven - he is not perfect. As with any artist, people put him on a pedestal and look forward to tearing him off it. It is a sad fact about how the nature of celebrity works (think of the greats: MJ, Madonna, Prince) and that so much celebrity is made from the stars' mistakes (trainwrecks). For George, he is a work in progress - whether it be dealing with his celebrity, weight, living in the shadow of his former self, personality quirks, aging, and the mistakes he's made along the way. For fans like myself, it is a gem just to witness his return and enjoy it to myself. So, to see you post this, it confirms my praises.

biggrin

My problem with him is he never shows other people the same compassion and understanding that people generally show him. We are told everyone makes mistakes to excuse his behaviors, but he is the first to rip into other people with no compassion. And some things he has done are not mistakes but are intentional acts to hurt other people like handcuffing someone to a wall and beating them with a chain. No one ever says Chris Brown and R. Kelly make mistakes and we should forget about that and just listen to the music, they say they should be banned from the music business. The crime George committed is not that different but it's handled very differently by the public.

I don't expect any artist to be perfect, but I don't approve of people who are intentionally mean and hurtful like George has been to many people over the years. But I get that everyone just wants to gloss over his negative side because they are so enraptured by the makeup and the hat.

I followed him closely as a fan for many years and I experienced much of his nastiness and broken promises so I know exactly what I'm talking about.

He promised a 30 anniversary tour and album with Culture Club, but it never happened. What about that?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/28/13 3:32pm

FormerlyKnownA
s

avatar

^^^^^^

Glinda,

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion - so I hope you don't think I was criticizing you for it. You are right, George has done some crimes, but keep in mind that he's also been punished for them. He spent time in jail and has had to do community service. I would think that the incident(s) would cost him some of his fan base, as you've indicated. Part of his character has been to be a somewhat bitchy queen, but keep in mind that it is also part of his campy persona. I remember, like 25 years ago when he'd rip all kinds of celebs to shreds. So, yes, you do bring up some good points. But that, I think, is the irony of this thread. It's almost like we're saying, "Hey, believe it or not, George HAS put out a good album afterall." Maybe he's changed - I/we don't know. But to forgive (even if we can't forget) is a quality power we have potential to disseminate. And that may counter the behavior and shrewdness George has exhibited in the past.

As for the Culture Club reunion, who knows why those types of things don't work. You can bet that money is always an issue - plus the guys all have to have a genuine interest in making it happen. Truthfully, if they have any animosity toward George (or think like some of his former fans), why would they make it happen? But I found this article online and thought you might find it of interest:

Boy George - Boy George ready for Culture Club reunion

by Bang Showbiz | 12 November 2013

Boy George is finally ready for a Culture Club reunion.

The 'Karma Chameleon' hitmakers are set to reunite to record a new album in January 2014 - after a 15-year absence from music - and the band's frontman says he is excited to get back together with his bandmates, Jon Moss, Roy Hay and Mikey Craig, after years of discussing a comeback.

He said: ''I talked a few years ago about a Culture Club reunion ... they wanted me to do it for years but it wasn't right and obviously for five or ten years I was going through other things.

''Jon was surprised when I told him I wanted the reunion to happen at last. But I wanted to do this album for myself first.''

George - who has previously battled drug and alcohol abuse - has just released his latest solo album, 'This Is What I Do', and he says the ''darker'' times in his life provide the most inspiration for his songs.

He told the Daily Mirror newspaper: ''It's easier if you write things at darker stages in your life. When you're happy you can think, 'What do I write about?' ''

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/28/13 5:18pm

NoVideo

avatar

I'm not so sure how great George is going to sound with his new voice singing those old songs like Karma Chameleon and I'll Tumble 4 Ya.

I mean, I can appreciate the fact that his voice has changed. It happens to many artists. And he can still sing effectively in his new voice, with appropriate material.

But I can't imagine him singing some of those old songs now. It will be interesting to see how they pull it off. I wish him nothing but the best.

As for his solo albums, if you haven't heard "Cheapness & Beauty" do yourself a favor and pick it up. It's the best thing he's ever done either with or outside of Culture Club in my opinion. Amazing songwriting and performances on that album. "God Don't Hold a Grudge" really spoke to me at that time in my life. And "Il Adore" is simply gorgeous and heartbreaking.

* * *

Prince's Classic Finally Expanded
The Deluxe 'Purple Rain' Reissue

http://www.popmatters.com...n-reissue/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/30/13 3:51am

mancabdriver

He's a very hateful and unlikable man.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/30/13 5:19am

luvsexy4all

Gunsnhalen said:

aardvark15 said:

Gunsnhalen said: I've never checked that out. How's that one compare to the Culture Club stuff? I figured that how bad his solo stuff is and how horrible the band name was it would be horrible.

It's better than anything he did with Culture Club.

Some tracks from it.






And in that era was the Pet Shop Boys produced The Crying Game. His only solo hit in America.

bow down is the queen song "39"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/30/13 8:29am

thedance

avatar

Bow Down Mister is a fantastic song. heart

Check the "Martyr Mantras" CD -- really great:

  1. "Generations Of Love" (Oakenfold Mix) (Angela Dust, Caron Geary& Simon Rogers)
  2. "One On One"(Brydon L.P. Mix) (Dust, Mark Brydon)
  3. "Love's Gonna Let U Down" (Popcorn Mix) (Dust, Brydon)
  4. "After The Love" (Ten Glorious Years Mix) (Dust, Jon Moss)
  5. "I Specialise In Loneliness" (Dust, John Themis)
  6. "No Clause 28" (Pascal Gabriel Mix) (Boy George O'Dowd, Glenn Nightingale, Ian Maidman, Richie Stevens, Steve Fletcher)
  7. "Love Hurts" (L.P. Mix) (Dust, Bruce Forest, Richard Cottle)
  8. "Siempre Te Amare" (Dust)
  9. "Too Much Love" (Dust, Brydon)
  10. "Bow Down Mister" (Dust)
  11. "Generations Of Love" (Seventies Mix)

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/30/13 8:54am

thedance

avatar

mancabdriver said:

He's a very hateful and unlikable man.

^ question

I don't believe you, he seems like a sweet person.


"The Martyr Mantras"
album by Boy George (Jesus Loves You) is fantastic. cool



.....even Madonna says so...... biggrin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martyr_Mantras


Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/30/13 9:17am

aardvark15

Gunsnhalen said:



aardvark15 said:


Gunsnhalen said:


eek Even the Jesus Loves You Album? That is his all time best work. But, yes his other solo. Most of it is shit lol



I've never checked that out. How's that one compare to the Culture Club stuff? I figured that how bad his solo stuff is and how horrible the band name was it would be horrible.

It's better than anything he did with Culture Club.

Some tracks from it.






And in that era was the Pet Shop Boys produced The Crying Game. His only solo hit in America.


I don't know not really digging it. The music doesn't fit his voice. Boy George and guitars don't mix.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/30/13 11:13am

NoVideo

avatar

aardvark15 said:


I don't know not really digging it. The music doesn't fit his voice. Boy George and guitars don't mix.

That's a rather odd statement considering that most of Culture Club's music, including their biggest hit "Karma Chameleon," were all largely guitar-based.

* * *

Prince's Classic Finally Expanded
The Deluxe 'Purple Rain' Reissue

http://www.popmatters.com...n-reissue/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/30/13 11:59am

Gunsnhalen

NoVideo said:

aardvark15 said:


I don't know not really digging it. The music doesn't fit his voice. Boy George and guitars don't mix.

That's a rather odd statement considering that most of Culture Club's music, including their biggest hit "Karma Chameleon," were all largely guitar-based.

yeahthat In fact they were a ''blending'' of different instrumentals from around the world. Hence a Culture Club lol i think Generations Of Love by itself beats any Culture Club song.

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/30/13 4:31pm

aardvark15

Gunsnhalen said:



NoVideo said:




aardvark15 said:



I don't know not really digging it. The music doesn't fit his voice. Boy George and guitars don't mix.


That's a rather odd statement considering that most of Culture Club's music, including their biggest hit "Karma Chameleon," were all largely guitar-based.



yeahthat In fact they were a ''blending'' of different instrumentals from around the world. Hence a Culture Club lol i think Generations Of Love by itself beats any Culture Club song.


lol sorry about that. Wasn't thinking straight. Not really that style of guitar I guess. Boy George's voice for me is meant for soulful, new-wavey pop. When he verges from that, even when the music's good, his voice doesn't sound good. I liked the first one of the songs you posted, until Boy George started singing. Same for The Crying Game.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/30/13 10:55pm

benjaminira

avatar

My favorite song off the new disc is "Any Road". A simple, yet deep, ballad....

If it breaks when it bends, U better not put it in!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/31/13 1:22am

Rightly

avatar

check

small circles, big wheels!
I've got a pretty firm grip on the obvious!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/01/14 4:34pm

funkyhead

the more I listen the better it gets.

[Edited 1/1/14 16:35pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/02/14 4:10am

thetimefan

avatar

Haven't heard the album yet, but I watched a show about George on Sky Arts, think its called 'Songbook' where he talked about his life & music. Worth checking out if its repeated again. I'd like to hear Boy George do a soul standards album too.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/03/14 8:04am

NoVideo

avatar

This is one of my favorite Boy George solo tracks. From his album "Sold"

* * *

Prince's Classic Finally Expanded
The Deluxe 'Purple Rain' Reissue

http://www.popmatters.com...n-reissue/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/05/14 6:44pm

KCOOLMUZIQ

I always like this live duet Boy George did with Stevie Wonder! Stevie should have put Boy on his single as a duet instead.

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Boy Georges new album is amazing!...