independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's top 5 drummers of all rtime?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/01/20 10:59pm

funkman88

Prince's top 5 drummers of all rtime?

5.Cora Dunham

4.Morris Day

3.Michael Bland

2.Sheila E

1.John Blackwell

what do u think?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/01/20 11:35pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

Prince lol
But then -
Sheila
John blackwell
Michael b/Bobby z
Hannah welton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/01/20 11:37pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

  1. Michael Bland
  2. John Blackwell
  3. Cora Dunham
  4. Sheila E.
  5. Prince

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/01/20 11:48pm

funkman88

bobby Z was horrible ...that's why his main job was to start and stop the drum machines..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/01/20 11:50pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

He did ok during the dirty mind tour.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/02/20 12:27am

AZStreet

avatar

Bobby z wasn't flashy because that wasn't what was required of him in the Revolution I feel. He needed to stay in the pocket and just translate what Prince wanted to the T. Literal hours and hours long rehearsal sessions. And I feel it worked just fine for those years.

But my list (excluding Prince)

1. John Blackwell

2. Sheila E.

3. Michael Bland

4. Cora Dunham

5. Bobby Z.

"You know, this is funky but I wish he'd play like he used to, old scragglyhead son of a...*smack* OOH!"

"Who's the foo singing will it's would"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/02/20 12:34am

funkman88

cant believe no one said Kirky J cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/02/20 2:06am

fredmagnus

1. Michael Bland

2. John Blackwell

3. Sheila E

4. Prince

5. Morris Day

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/02/20 6:36am

Poplife88

avatar

1. Sheila E

2. John Blackwell

3. Morris Day

4. Michael Bland

Bobby Z WASN'T horrible...he did a fine job, if not quite as talented as the above.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/02/20 7:36am

SPYZFAN1

1/Micheal Bland.............2/John Blackwell..........3/Shelia E...........4/Morris Day........5/Bobby Z.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/02/20 8:02am

LoveGalore

Anyone who doesn't list Michael Bland first is acting a damn fool.

[Edited 9/2/20 8:02am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/02/20 10:48am

thefunkydrumme
r

Michael Bland for sure is at the top of my list. The other 4 would be John Blackwell, Sheila E, Morris Day, and Prince himself. Bobby Z deserves mention too though. He wasn't flashy by any means but served the music remarkably well as well as piloting the Linn in live performances.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/02/20 12:06pm

RJOrion

1. Michael Bland

2. John Blackwell

3. Sheila E

4. Morris Day

5. Prince Nelson

[Edited 9/2/20 12:07pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/02/20 12:09pm

RJOrion

funkman88 said:

cant believe no one said Kirky J cool

because apparently he has dissappeared from the face of the Earth...NEVER in the history of Music, has a man who knew so much, said so little...its mind blowing

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/02/20 12:39pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

funkman88 said:

bobby Z was horrible ...that's why his main job was to start and stop the drum machines..


Prince didn't seem to think so.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/02/20 2:07pm

JudasLChrist

avatar

funkman88 said:

bobby Z was horrible ...that's why his main job was to start and stop the drum machines..


This is not true in any way. Bobby was a solid rock drummer who had feel. What Bobby created with Prince, this absolutely cutting edge, provocative and extremely influential electronic drum sound is really quite an acheivement. Bobby was no Shelia E., but no-one was Shelia E. Bobby was great.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/02/20 2:12pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

LoveGalore said:

Anyone who doesn't list Michael Bland first is acting a damn fool.

[Edited 9/2/20 8:02am]



Care to explain why?
To me he obv had great groove, rock solid chops, but his strength is power rather than much dynamics. Sheila and John b were the most versatile and have more finesse.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/02/20 2:50pm

Graycap23

avatar

fredmagnus said:

1. Michael Bland

2. John Blackwell

3. Sheila E

4. Prince

5. Morris Day

Yep

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/02/20 3:18pm

RJOrion

Graycap23 said:



fredmagnus said:


1. Michael Bland


2. John Blackwell


3. Sheila E


4. Prince


5. Morris Day



Yep




LOL...i had P before Morris before i edited mine...and i dont get the Bobby Z hate... he may not have been an advanced technician on the skins, but in live shows he kept the pocket clean and tight... and with Prince's music spanning so many genres, moods, and tempos, and with P being so spontaneous, that shit aint easy... try keepin perfect time and a tight pocket for 5 minutes much less 60 to 90 minutes...drumming may look easy to the casual fan but its incredibly difficult...not only are you responsible for the beat, but you are literally the bands' clock...Bobby Z. #6 was excellent at what he did, when he was doing it...for proof, watch the Dirty Mind show 1981 in NYC and tell me Bobby Z was horrible...i fux with you funkman88, but i cant ride witchu on the Bobby Z slander
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/02/20 3:27pm

RJOrion

LoveGalore said:

Anyone who doesn't list Michael Bland first is acting a damn fool.

[Edited 9/2/20 8:02am]




LMAO...word...the epitome of power, without sacraficing feel, soul, and groove ...from the sexy cross stick/rim clicks on "Love 2 The 9s" to the bombastic power on "Gett Off", Mr. Bland could do it all better than any of them...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/02/20 4:19pm

Graycap23

avatar

RJOrion said:

Graycap23 said:

Yep

LOL...i had P before Morris before i edited mine...and i dont get the Bobby Z hate... he may not have been an advanced technician on the skins, but in live shows he kept the pocket clean and tight... and with Prince's music spanning so many genres, moods, and tempos, and with P being so spontaneous, that shit aint easy... try keepin perfect time and a tight pocket for 5 minutes much less 60 to 90 minutes...drumming may look easy to the casual fan but its incredibly difficult...not only are you responsible for the beat, but you are literally the bands' clock...Bobby Z. #6 was excellent at what he did, when he was doing it...for proof, watch the Dirty Mind show 1981 in NYC and tell me Bobby Z was horrible...i fux with you funkman88, but i cant ride witchu on the Bobby Z slander

Same goes 4 Kirky J. Dude is underrated.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/02/20 4:32pm

RJOrion

Graycap23 said:



RJOrion said:


Graycap23 said:


Yep



LOL...i had P before Morris before i edited mine...and i dont get the Bobby Z hate... he may not have been an advanced technician on the skins, but in live shows he kept the pocket clean and tight... and with Prince's music spanning so many genres, moods, and tempos, and with P being so spontaneous, that shit aint easy... try keepin perfect time and a tight pocket for 5 minutes much less 60 to 90 minutes...drumming may look easy to the casual fan but its incredibly difficult...not only are you responsible for the beat, but you are literally the bands' clock...Bobby Z. #6 was excellent at what he did, when he was doing it...for proof, watch the Dirty Mind show 1981 in NYC and tell me Bobby Z was horrible...i fux with you funkman88, but i cant ride witchu on the Bobby Z slander

Same goes 4 Kirky J. Dude is underrated.



no doubt...on Chocolate Factory and The Slaughterhouse kirk put in work... i just feel a certain kinda way about his involvement in P's unfortunate demise, so its hard for me to speak on that brother contsructively...if im wrong May The Most High forgive me
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/02/20 4:52pm

Graycap23

avatar

RJOrion said:

Graycap23 said:

Same goes 4 Kirky J. Dude is underrated.

no doubt...on Chocolate Factory and The Slaughterhouse kirk put in work... i just feel a certain kinda way about his involvement in P's unfortunate demise, so its hard for me to speak on that brother contsructively...if im wrong May The Most High forgive me

I'll just say Prince got what he wanted, when he wanted it as most folks when deep pockets tend 2 do.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 09/02/20 5:09pm

RJOrion

Graycap23 said:



RJOrion said:


Graycap23 said:


Same goes 4 Kirky J. Dude is underrated.



no doubt...on Chocolate Factory and The Slaughterhouse kirk put in work... i just feel a certain kinda way about his involvement in P's unfortunate demise, so its hard for me to speak on that brother contsructively...if im wrong May The Most High forgive me

I'll just say Prince got what he wanted, when he wanted it as most folks when deep pockets tend 2 do.




i can fully dig that...but if you love the man and he's your manz 100 grand, you dont go get dope for him in your name...you say, "Boss i love you and im not gonna let you do this...its illegal and unhealthy... if you gonna fire me and send me on a bus back to Plymouth Ave. in North Minneapolis, do what you gotta do Boss..."

ive lived with and loved addicts..my mom was an alcoholic for years....i was addicted to weed for decades myself... sometimes it takes your loved ones to save you from yourself...i know enough to know that Kirk Johnson did him wrong by procuring drugs for P in his name...unless the media and court reports are false (which wouldnt be a first)... how and why he did this, only he knows
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 09/02/20 5:18pm

RJOrion

[Snip - luv4u]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 09/03/20 11:36pm

funkman88

LoveGalore said:

Anyone who doesn't list Michael Bland first is acting a damn fool.

[Edited 9/2/20 8:02am]

he wasnt fast and fancy like Blackwell..plus Blackwell could play real jazz...bland not so much..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 09/03/20 11:38pm

funkman88

TrivialPursuit said:

funkman88 said:

bobby Z was horrible ...that's why his main job was to start and stop the drum machines..


Prince didn't seem to think so.

he did think so ..Bobby was picked cuz he was white....morris was much better but Prince wanted interracial band and he was copying sly stone..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 09/04/20 9:32am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

funkman88 said:

TrivialPursuit said:


Prince didn't seem to think so.

he did think so ..Bobby was picked cuz he was white....morris was much better but Prince wanted interracial band and he was copying sly stone..


LOL OKAY THEN

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 09/04/20 9:49am

RJOrion

TrivialPursuit said:



funkman88 said:




TrivialPursuit said:




Prince didn't seem to think so.



he did think so ..Bobby was picked cuz he was white....morris was much better but Prince wanted interracial band and he was copying sly stone..




LOL OKAY THEN



im not sure how true it is, but funkman88 might be quoting Morris Day who has said the same thing on different occasions.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 09/04/20 9:52am

RJOrion

and for the record Greg Errico from Sly's band is one of the greatest drummers in any band ever (regardless of color)... Sly's whole sound disintegrated when Errico left and Sly started using prehistoric drum machines
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's top 5 drummers of all rtime?