independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Sign O The Times Super Deluxe Info
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 37 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 05/30/20 2:47pm

homesquid

avatar

The thread title gave me anxiety. SOTT era is the be all end all of Prince for me. I don't care if it costs $500

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 05/30/20 2:59pm

homesquid

avatar

EnDoRpHn said:

Wolfie87 said:

Honestly, I want this project to be called Crystal Ball: Original configuration. This was his vision and he would've done it. But the executives was the last obstacle to the greatest album of the 80's and maybe of all time. S☮️TT was an afterthought. Disappointing really when you think about what could have been.



I'm thrilled beyond belief about this news, but this is why I will never consider SOTT Prince's "greatest album".

Then you are wrong and need new ears and a new heart (might as well swap the brain too)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 05/30/20 3:19pm

dsimp8

BartVanHemelen said:

Kares said:

What I'd love (apart from as much unreleased material in perfect quality as possible) is to see the CD-version in the same 12" box packaging with the same 12" sized booklet as the LP version.
I don't really care about vinyl and I hate to have to pay a HUGE price premium just to get the same full sized booklet that the vinyl box has.


.

Amen. Give the collectors their money's worth.

I second that !I contacted Paisley Park about getting the full vinyl sized booklet and as told the vinyl booklet was only availbale with vinyl purchase. I bought the CD Super Deluxe but would gladly pay an extra $20 or so for the full sized booklet.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 05/30/20 3:25pm

EnDoRpHn

homesquid said:

EnDoRpHn said:



I'm thrilled beyond belief about this news, but this is why I will never consider SOTT Prince's "greatest album".

Then you are wrong and need new ears and a new heart (might as well swap the brain too)

Maybe you should re-post my full quote and not a selective extract, homesquat. You seem to be the one lacking in the cerebral forematter.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 05/30/20 5:02pm

rusty1

homesquid said:



EnDoRpHn said:




Wolfie87 said:


Honestly, I want this project to be called Crystal Ball: Original configuration. This was his vision and he would've done it. But the executives was the last obstacle to the greatest album of the 80's and maybe of all time. S☮️TT was an afterthought. Disappointing really when you think about what could have been.



I'm thrilled beyond belief about this news, but this is why I will never consider SOTT Prince's "greatest album".





Then you are wrong and need new ears and a new heart (might as well swap the brain too)



100% agree👏
Sign o' the Times is a great album
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 05/30/20 5:36pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

I

EnDoRpHn said:

homesquid said:

Then you are wrong and need new ears and a new heart (might as well swap the brain too)

Maybe you should re-post my full quote and not a selective extract, homesquat.

I've poured over the full quote three times over now and really have no idea wtf you're talking about with this latest post.


I'll post the full abomination for homesquid:

EnDoRpHn said:


I'm thrilled beyond belief about this news, but this is why I will never consider SOTT Prince's "greatest album". It's not thematically or sonically coherent. 3/4 of the album is solid, and it certainly contains the most unique, ground-breaking songs Prince ever recorded. But there's no way anyone could put Slow Love, It and U Got the Look (which is a great pop song but would never be on my to-go list of incredible Prince songs) up there with The Ballad of Dorothy Parker, SOTT (the song) or Adore -- let alone with the hundreds of other truly great songs in Prince's canon.



I think Parade is just as strong as Purple Rain as a stand-alone *album*, and both are stronger as stand-alone efforts than the hodge-podge of SOTT. 1999 remains to me his strongest single album, especially because each of the 4 original sides could well have been its own EP. If Prince had never recorded anything other than these 4 albums, he would still be considered one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.

[Edited 5/29/20 14:41pm]

[Edited 5/29/20 14:42pm]

It looks that you think of SOTT as a "hodge-podge" inferior to at least three Prince records (SOTT inferior to Parade, Purple Rain and 1999, you say?)? Really, homesquid did you a favor chopping this down to "selective extract." I just thought you were plain wrong, now I think you're wrong cubed.


P.S. "It" might be better and/or just as good as all three of your "greats" list, brah. Try harder.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 05/30/20 5:54pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

I hope so! I did talk to someone with an inside track and they said something coy like "Oh that would be cool..."

If you do not defended some speech you abhor then you do NOT support free speech.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 05/30/20 7:53pm

mbdtyler

I really hope they lay out something like this:

  • The original remastered SOTT album
  • The tracks that were cut from Crystal Ball + Feel U Up
  • All tracks recorded for the various configurations of Dream Factory that didn't make it to SOTT
  • Whatever outtakes or tracks that are left to fill out the remaining discs

Ideally, everything would be mixed and mastered to sound consistent so that fans could configure their own version of any unreleased proto-SOTT album, and everyone would be happy.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 05/30/20 8:21pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

mbdtyler said:


The tracks that were cut from Crystal Ball + Feel U Up


Feel U Up? giggle Do you mean Camille?
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 05/30/20 9:45pm

jstar69

Well let’s hope June 7 provides confirmation of the release and delivers a detailed track list for the release. Should know soon if the September release date is accurate.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 05/30/20 10:11pm

udo

avatar

mbdtyler said:

I really hope they lay out something like this:

  • The original remastered SOTT album
  • The tracks that were cut from Crystal Ball + Feel U Up
  • All tracks recorded for the various configurations of Dream Factory that didn't make it to SOTT
  • Whatever outtakes or tracks that are left to fill out the remaining discs

Ideally, everything would be mixed and mastered to sound consistent so that fans could configure their own version of any unreleased proto-SOTT album, and everyone would be happy.

.

Shouldn't some of this stuff be on the Parade Super Deluxe set?

Where can we draw the line?

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 05/30/20 10:25pm

MIInsane

Strive said:



BartVanHemelen said:


Camille isn't lost, all of the tracks except one have been released. (I really don't understand why they don't release Camille for RSD.)


.


And they're not gonna release an aftershow, they're gonna release a regular show. On boot we have a combination of an incomplete Paris SBD recording combined with one track from the encore of a Dutch show SBD recording, so we know at least those two exist.


.


NYE with Miles Davis? Possible, but if it is an incomplete video they might be hesitant.




Most of SMiLE was released on Smiley Smiley and various Beach Boys projects but that didn't stop the record company and music press from billing it as a lost album.

And why not an aftershow? The DVD is (probably) going to be showing off a regular show. Having something like the New Morning show would showcase his jazzy side with Madhouse and some of the best of that era on the Prince side. While also being something that the hardcores know but don't have in the highest quality possible.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about them being hesitant but a clip of it appeared in that Miles Davis documentary and they probably have a full soundboard recording. So they can remaster the audio and piece together what they have. Even if it's just a black screen for the first half of the show until they have video footage. lol




The "Smile" tracks on "Smiley Smile" were re-recorded versions.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 05/30/20 10:26pm

dsimp8

It was mentioned earlier but I would really love one of the releases to be Forever in My Life in the way is was originally intended . Background vocals synced up with the lead vocal. The background vocals in the album version were synced up like it was by mistake and Prince liked it so much he kept it that way
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 05/31/20 12:37am

udo

avatar

- TBA on this set? (CD7)

- one live CD? (thus: incomplete show) (CD8)

- no SOTT remastered full original tracklist

- ...

.

If these rumours are true then they have botched the set even before it is available.

In such case, my free advice:

Skip TBA as it is already available.

Do the full live show.

Add two discs with SOTT as we know it but in remastered shape.

.

.

.

[Edited 5/31/20 1:03am]

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 05/31/20 12:41am

EnDoRpHn

WhisperingDandelions said:


I



EnDoRpHn said:




homesquid said:





Then you are wrong and need new ears and a new heart (might as well swap the brain too)



Maybe you should re-post my full quote and not a selective extract, homesquat.



I've poured over the full quote three times over now and really have no idea wtf you're talking about with this latest post.



I'll post the full abomination for homesquid:




EnDoRpHn said:



I'm thrilled beyond belief about this news, but this is why I will never consider SOTT Prince's "greatest album". It's not thematically or sonically coherent. 3/4 of the album is solid, and it certainly contains the most unique, ground-breaking songs Prince ever recorded. But there's no way anyone could put Slow Love, It and U Got the Look (which is a great pop song but would never be on my to-go list of incredible Prince songs) up there with The Ballad of Dorothy Parker, SOTT (the song) or Adore -- let alone with the hundreds of other truly great songs in Prince's canon.





I think Parade is just as strong as Purple Rain as a stand-alone *album*, and both are stronger as stand-alone efforts than the hodge-podge of SOTT. 1999 remains to me his strongest single album, especially because each of the 4 original sides could well have been its own EP. If Prince had never recorded anything other than these 4 albums, he would still be considered one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.



[Edited 5/29/20 14:41pm]


[Edited 5/29/20 14:42pm]




It looks that you think of SOTT as a "hodge-podge" inferior to at least three Prince records (SOTT inferior to Parade, Purple Rain and 1999, you say?)? Really, homesquid did you a favor chopping this down to "selective extract." I just thought you were plain wrong, now I think you're wrong cubed.



P.S. "It" might be better and/or just as good as all three of your "greats" list, brah. Try harder.



So you can’t read either?

I was replying to Wolfie87, who said:

Honestly, I want this project to be called Crystal Ball: Original configuration. This was his vision and he would've done it. But the executives was the last obstacle to the greatest album of the 80's and maybe of all time. S☮️TT was an afterthought. Disappointing really when you think about what could have been.


And that’s all the time I’ve got for a jizzmouth who thinks that “It” is better than anything on Purple Rain, Parade, or 1999.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 05/31/20 1:10am

udo

avatar

luv4u said:

Not confirmed yet.

.

If the rumours are true, and no SOTT (full original tracklist, remastered) is on this set, then it cannot be named Sign O The Times Super Deluxe.

Perhaps Sign O The Times Era Super Deluxe might be more appropriate.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 05/31/20 1:45am

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

EnDoRpHn said:

WhisperingDandelions said:

I

So you can’t read either? I was replying to Wolfie87, who said:
Honestly, I want this project to be called Crystal Ball: Original configuration. This was his vision and he would've done it. But the executives was the last obstacle to the greatest album of the 80's and maybe of all time. S☮️TT was an afterthought. Disappointing really when you think about what could have been.
And that’s all the time I’ve got for a jizzmouth who thinks that “It” is better than anything on Purple Rain, Parade, or 1999.

Homophobic epithets in 2020, this is where you are mentally? Suddenly it all becomes crystal clear.


You concurred with Wolfie87 post, did you miss that part? With added emphasis, I might add. And you only listed three "great" songs specifically by name, all of which were on SOTT which is the topic at hand here. Parade, Purple Rain and 1999 are albums, you specified zero "great" songs from them.


I literally pasted your entire asinine post where you agreed with the post you quoted and you couldn't even interpret one iota correctly after two tries... and somehow you wrote the damn thing.



[edit]

What is it about "It" that makes it so egregiously inferior to you? I know it.. It's a lyric thing with "It" isn't it? Because "It" isn't all "Sunday Song" or grandstandingly utopic with its lyrical premise, because it's about as basic a lyrical concept as Prince gets with no added nuance or subtly, "It" can't be musically superior? Please.

[Edited 5/31/20 2:38am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 05/31/20 2:06am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

udo said:



luv4u said:


Not confirmed yet.



.


If the rumours are true, and no SOTT (full original tracklist, remastered) is on this set, then it cannot be named Sign O The Times Super Deluxe.


Perhaps Sign O The Times Era Super Deluxe might be more appropriate.


Where are these rumours coming from? You’re the only person I’ve seen mention this.
RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 05/31/20 2:24am

leecaldon

BartVanHemelen said:

leecaldon said:

Why won't they release an aftershow?

.

Why release something obscure when there isn't anything "regular"? Why immediately present a unicorn when you haven't even shown a horse?

.

Also, I doubt there are multitrack recordings of aftershows from that era.

I like the analogy.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 05/31/20 2:42am

funkaholic1972

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:

EnDoRpHn said:

WhisperingDandelions said:

Homophobic epithets in 2020, this is where you are mentally? Suddenly it all becomes crystal clear.


You concurred with Wolfie87 post, did you miss that part? With added emphasis, I might add. And you only listed three "great" songs specifically by name, all of which were on SOTT which is the topic at hand here. Parade, Purple Rain and 1999 are albums, you specified zero "great" songs from them.


I literally pasted your entire asinine post where you agreed with the post you quoted and you couldn't even interpret one iota correctly after two tries... and somehow you wrote the damn thing.



[edit]

What is it about "It" that makes it so egregiously inferior to you? I know it.. It's a lyric thing with "It" isn't it? Because "It" isn't all "Sunday Song" or grandstandingly utopic with its lyrical premise, because it's about as basic a lyrical concept as Prince gets with no added nuance or subtly, "It" can't be musically superior? Please.

[Edited 5/31/20 2:38am]

Can you two please stop bickering over matters of taste? Or use PM's if you like to continue? Thanks!

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 05/31/20 3:22am

RODSERLING

udo said:

- TBA on this set? (CD7)


- one live CD? (thus: incomplete show) (CD8)


- no SOTT remastered full original tracklist


- ...


.


If these rumours are true then they have botched the set even before it is available.


In such case, my free advice:


Skip TBA as it is already available.


Do the full live show.


Add two discs with SOTT as we know it but in remastered shape.


.


.


.


[Edited 5/31/20 1:03am]



And what is TBA ?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 05/31/20 3:23am

udo

avatar

TheEnglishGent said:

udo said:

.

If the rumours are true, and no SOTT (full original tracklist, remastered) is on this set, then it cannot be named Sign O The Times Super Deluxe.

Perhaps Sign O The Times Era Super Deluxe might be more appropriate.

Where are these rumours coming from? You’re the only person I’ve seen mention this.

.

I received some phone screenshots showing a track listing.

I dunno the source so I cannout vouch for correctness nor truthfullness.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 05/31/20 3:24am

udo

avatar

RODSERLING said:

And what is TBA ?

.

In this area: The Black Album.

At concert halls and such: To Be Announced.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 05/31/20 4:36am

slyjackson

udo said:

TheEnglishGent said:

udo said: Where are these rumours coming from? You’re the only person I’ve seen mention this.

.

I received some phone screenshots showing a track listing.

I dunno the source so I cannout vouch for correctness nor truthfullness.

So it's not going to be remastered the original album?

This is my favorite album and very excited by these news.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 05/31/20 4:48am

Romeoblu

The inclusion of the black album seems odd, in a way it's more connected to Lovesexy. Lovesexy would also require more padding for a box set as there aren't many outtakes at all for it.

I still think the inclusion of Camille would be good. They could also release it to streaming services on June 7th as a taster for the set.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 05/31/20 4:57am

Wowugotit

I've been salivating this morning just thinking about owning the SOTT Super Deluxe versoin. Gives me something to look forward to for September.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 05/31/20 5:27am

Strive

The tracklist floating around on Twitter is a fake but somebody more connected did say that the real tracklist is floating around and the Estate will officially announce it June 7th.

"When you deny people the option to not pick a side, you may not like the side they'll pick."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 05/31/20 5:38am

IstenSzek

avatar

Strive said:

The tracklist floating around on Twitter is a fake but somebody more connected did say that the real tracklist is floating around and the Estate will officially announce it June 7th.


the one on twitter is the one that includes The Black Album? and thus is the fake one?

pray


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 05/31/20 5:42am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

Romeoblu said:

The inclusion of the black album seems odd, in a way it's more connected to Lovesexy. Lovesexy would also require more padding for a box set as there aren't many outtakes at all for it.


Agreed. TBA is an unneeded epilogue to SOTT, but a much-needed prologue to Lovesexy.

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 05/31/20 5:45am

blacksignparad
e

.

my dream SOTT deluxe set would be both SOTT and TBA somehow being able to be fit onto one cd.

.

just take out "starfish and coffee", "2 r in love" and "dead on it".

.

it would be the perfect album for me.

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 37 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Sign O The Times Super Deluxe Info