independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Sign O The Times Super Deluxe Info
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 37 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 05/30/20 2:51am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

databank said:


I'm pretty sure most, if not all shows were recorded at the time.

.

But likely not for release purposes.

.

Theoretically there should be multitracks for the three shows they recorded for the movie, at least.

.

And who knows, maybe there is a multi-cam PRO video of one of the shows in the vault.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 05/30/20 3:08am

Kares

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

databank said:


I'm pretty sure most, if not all shows were recorded at the time.

.

But likely not for release purposes.

.

Theoretically there should be multitracks for the three shows they recorded for the movie, at least.

.

.

I've identified 2 sets of 2" multitrack tapes of SOTT shows from the police photos of the vault. There could be more of course, but these 2 sets of tapes are cleraly visible on the photos.

.

[Edited 5/30/20 3:11am]

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 05/30/20 3:14am

leecaldon

Kares said:

BartVanHemelen said:

.

But likely not for release purposes.

.

Theoretically there should be multitracks for the three shows they recorded for the movie, at least.

.

.

I've identified 2 sets of 2" multitrack tapes of SOTT shows from the police photos of the vault. There could be more of course, but these 2 sets of tapes are cleraly visible on the photos.

.

[Edited 5/30/20 3:11am]

Good detective work.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 05/30/20 3:15am

leecaldon

BartVanHemelen said:

Strive said:

VaultCurator said: It's certainly possible but I was trying to think like Warner. They're going to hold back a bit but what I posted on paper all has selling points that will resonate. You have Prince's most critically acclaimed album, all the edits, 2 full discs of unreleased vault material, a lost album of Prince playing with his gender bender persona (blah with that description but that is how Howe will push it), a legendary aftershow that's never been available in soundboard and a live show with Miles Davis available in full for the first time. [Edited 5/29/20 17:35pm]

.

Camille isn't lost, all of the tracks except one have been released. (I really don't understand why they don't release Camille for RSD.)

.

And they're not gonna release an aftershow, they're gonna release a regular show. On boot we have a combination of an incomplete Paris SBD recording combined with one track from the encore of a Dutch show SBD recording, so we know at least those two exist.

.

NYE with Miles Davis? Possible, but if it is an incomplete video they might be hesitant.

Why won't they release an aftershow?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 05/30/20 3:38am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

leecaldon said:

Why won't they release an aftershow?

.

Why release something obscure when there isn't anything "regular"? Why immediately present a unicorn when you haven't even shown a horse?

.

Also, I doubt there are multitrack recordings of aftershows from that era.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 05/30/20 3:50am

MIRvmn

avatar

I'm glad they chose SOTT instead of Parade and I'm sure it will be way better than 1999 super deluxe. There's most likely at least 3 discs with vault material on this release.
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 05/30/20 3:54am

jn2

Wolfie87 said:

smokeverbs said:

Obviously there's no need to include the Crystal Ball album. That would be a LOT of repetition with SOTT, and I think WB knows that. The seven tracks that were cut when it went from a triple to a double will surely be on one of the vault discs.

That being said, I would like it if one of the vault discs was the final Dream Factory. Yes, some repetition there, but it works so well as an album, the next Revolution album following Parade.

This is going to go great with Duane Tudahl's next book...

Honestly, I want this project to be called Crystal Ball: Original configuration. This was his vision and he would've done it. But the executives was the last obstacle to the greatest album of the 80's and maybe of all time. S☮️TT was an afterthought. Disappointing really when you think about what could have been.

nod

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 05/30/20 4:49am

jn2

SantanaMaitreya said:

I hope The Flesh will be on it.

Why? It's not the same era/project..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 05/30/20 4:56am

Lianachan

avatar

Romeoblu said:

What I would love to be included.

Love and Sex 86 with Prince's vocal, if it exists.
Cosmic Day
Full Length Crucial, the guitar version
Wally
In A Large Room With No Light.

Hopefully we will get confirmation later next week and a full track list and maybe even a taster song.

Those would be good, plus the extended version of The Ballad of Dorothy Parker.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge"" ~ Isaac Asimov
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 05/30/20 5:59am

soladeo1

One of the things I'm most looking forward to, though, is a thorough proper remaster of the original SIGN O' THE TIMES album...man, if there was ever a classic album in desperate need of a re-master...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 05/30/20 6:21am

icecreamcastle
777

Ok, I'm getting excited but I just wish for a lot of unheard material different from the songs I already have, and a different DVD other than SOTT since I already have like 3 copies. I would love to hear an extended version of "Strange Relationship." Whatever happens, I'm sure I'll still be buying it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 05/30/20 6:43am

Kares

avatar

What I'd love (apart from as much unreleased material in perfect quality as possible) is to see the CD-version in the same 12" box packaging with the same 12" sized booklet as the LP version.
I don't really care about vinyl and I hate to have to pay a HUGE price premium just to get the same full sized booklet that the vinyl box has.

.

[Edited 5/30/20 6:44am]

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 05/30/20 6:45am

Apollo85

I'll excited for this but I was really hoping for a summer release of something but I guess that ain't in the cards. Is it because COVID-19 screwed up a possible release timeline? Who knows. I was really hoping for Originals 2 this summer.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 05/30/20 6:57am

tab32792

i just hope we finally get an actualy SOTT tour concert instead of the movie. also, i do not want that december 87 show. it's just the tour on the soundstage. idk why people keep making it sound like miles davis is in the whole show. he shows up at the end of beautiful night for like 5 minutes lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 05/30/20 7:39am

udo

avatar

soladeo1 said:

One of the things I'm most looking forward to, though, is a thorough proper remaster of the original SIGN O' THE TIMES album...man, if there was ever a classic album in desperate need of a re-master...

.

Proper as in how they did 1999, or in that area.

Not as in how PR was done.

Although I'd think that the music, the style in SOTT needs a slightly different approach.

Slightly more careful. Not mashing out the volume to the max.

Some dynamics have to stay in there.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 05/30/20 8:44am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

Just replying to be subscribed. Will preorder the second it's announced, as I did with 1999. Not gonna miss the bus on this baby...

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 05/30/20 9:30am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Kares said:

What I'd love (apart from as much unreleased material in perfect quality as possible) is to see the CD-version in the same 12" box packaging with the same 12" sized booklet as the LP version.
I don't really care about vinyl and I hate to have to pay a HUGE price premium just to get the same full sized booklet that the vinyl box has.


.

Amen. Give the collectors their money's worth.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 05/30/20 9:58am

databank

avatar

jn2 said:

SantanaMaitreya said:

I hope The Flesh will be on it.

Why? It's not the same era/project..

Not only that (it was Parade era) but releasing a selection of Flesh tracks on a Parade Deluxe album would be yet another fiasco from the Estate. There is enough Flesh material to justify an independent The Flesh release, which would honestly be somewhat awesome if the original mixes are faithfully recreatated. I also hope they don't throw some Madhouse outtakes in SOTT, and keep these for future Madhouse Deluxe rereleases. There is enough material from that era anyway not to use anything from the side projects. Clearly, the Estate isn't considering doing anything around these at the moment, but there will come a time when they have to do so. Then, hopefully, we can get new, more faithful mixes of the songs that were remixed arbitrarily on Originals. Anyway let's see if this is confirmed at all, since for now it appears we have no reliable source yet.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 05/30/20 11:11am

SantanaMaitrey
a

databank said:



jn2 said:




SantanaMaitreya said:


I hope The Flesh will be on it.

Why? It's not the same era/project..



Not only that (it was Parade era) but releasing a selection of Flesh tracks on a Parade Deluxe album would be yet another fiasco from the Estate. There is enough Flesh material to justify an independent The Flesh release, which would honestly be somewhat awesome if the original mixes are faithfully recreatated. I also hope they don't throw some Madhouse outtakes in SOTT, and keep these for future Madhouse Deluxe rereleases. There is enough material from that era anyway not to use anything from the side projects. Clearly, the Estate isn't considering doing anything around these at the moment, but there will come a time when they have to do so. Then, hopefully, we can get new, more faithful mixes of the songs that were remixed arbitrarily on Originals. Anyway let's see if this is confirmed at all, since for now it appears we have no reliable source yet.


I doubt if there's much of a market for Madhouse Deluxe. The Flesh was part of the whole creative process that led to The Dream Factory and eventually Sign O' the Times. So it wouldn't be totally out of place on a TDF/SOTT box set. But if The Flesh was released on its own, that would be good too.
O tempora! O mores!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 05/30/20 11:32am

Strive

BartVanHemelen said:

Why release something obscure when there isn't anything "regular"? Why immediately present a unicorn when you haven't even shown a horse?

.

Also, I doubt there are multitrack recordings of aftershows from that era.

Here's my logic on that.


We all know that the DVD will be the standard setlist from the Sign tour. Whatever show they go with. It doesn't really make much sense to release a different concert on CD that's basically the same from a different date.


This Sign Deluxe release should be all about legend building. Warner and the Estate should be pushing the narrative that this is Prince's greatest album. His most prolific period. Get the average listener outside of the Purple Rain bubble. Start schooling them on all the history behind this release, showing them a different side of Prince, training them that the aftershows were even better than the regular shows.


If they do it right, they will build a growing demand for this "obscure" stuff. Kind of similar to how everybody thought Jimi Hendrix's greatest album was Are You Experienced, now Electric Ladyland is getting the love. Haha. Or The Beach Boys again, everybody was all about the hits, then they built the legend of Pet Sounds/Smile and now the average listener is like "Oh hey, Wild Honey and Sunflower are actually great albums. We want everything from that period."


Of course, Warner and the estate could (and probably will) mess that all up but they seem to be finding a pattern for releases. Like I don't think anybody was clamering for the Detroit 2nd show but it was something they thought was great and something that wasn't circulating. So they went with it. Now that we're going into the Sign era, there's a bit more freedom. It isn't like the choice is "concert or rehearsal tapes"

"When you deny people the option to not pick a side, you may not like the side they'll pick."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 05/30/20 12:58pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

FragileUndertow said:

Seems like the Past 1999 Deluxe Box Set sold out quickly on most Retail stores here in the US. I will definitely have to get this

They didn't even stock them at "most" retail stores in the US.


Basically if you didn't pre-order or grab it on week 1 of release you were most likely outta luck, which is just ridiculous given the amount of purple prose people prattle on daily around here about how the estate has to "make some money." They finally produce a winner and people gotta shell out double price to some dude on eBay? Absurd.

[Edited 5/30/20 13:01pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #111 posted 05/30/20 1:39pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:



FragileUndertow said:


Seems like the Past 1999 Deluxe Box Set sold out quickly on most Retail stores here in the US. I will definitely have to get this

They didn't even stock them at "most" retail stores in the US.



Basically if you didn't pre-order or grab it on week 1 of release you were most likely outta luck, which is just ridiculous given the amount of purple prose people prattle on daily around here about how the estate has to "make some money." They finally produce a winner and people gotta shell out double price to some dude on eBay? Absurd.

[Edited 5/30/20 13:01pm]


Right 👍, I actually meant to say online retail stores. Walmart, Target had them online but they sold out. I noticed once they sold out they became non searchable, only the standard editions were available
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #112 posted 05/30/20 2:08pm

lustmealways

avatar

it's gonna be very dissappointing if there's a lot of/any overlap with the tracks on Crystal Ball. if they're only giving 2 or 3 cd's to outtakes, i'd hate to have that be stuffed with songs like Good Love and Sexual Suicide, as awesome as they are, they're already on all major streaming services and been heard by the fans for years.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #113 posted 05/30/20 2:21pm

databank

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:



leecaldon said:



Why won't they release an aftershow?



.


Why release something obscure when there isn't anything "regular"? Why immediately present a unicorn when you haven't even shown a horse?


.


Also, I doubt there are multitrack recordings of aftershows from that era.


To be fair we've been happy purchasing sbd bootlegs for 30+ years, so any sbd is acceptable for release even if it's not a remixed multitrack. Small Club still sounds better than P&AM83 or the 1999 live DVD.
[Edited 5/30/20 14:22pm]
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #114 posted 05/30/20 2:27pm

databank

avatar

SantanaMaitreya said:

databank said:



jn2 said:




SantanaMaitreya said:


I hope The Flesh will be on it.

Why? It's not the same era/project..



Not only that (it was Parade era) but releasing a selection of Flesh tracks on a Parade Deluxe album would be yet another fiasco from the Estate. There is enough Flesh material to justify an independent The Flesh release, which would honestly be somewhat awesome if the original mixes are faithfully recreatated. I also hope they don't throw some Madhouse outtakes in SOTT, and keep these for future Madhouse Deluxe rereleases. There is enough material from that era anyway not to use anything from the side projects. Clearly, the Estate isn't considering doing anything around these at the moment, but there will come a time when they have to do so. Then, hopefully, we can get new, more faithful mixes of the songs that were remixed arbitrarily on Originals. Anyway let's see if this is confirmed at all, since for now it appears we have no reliable source yet.


I doubt if there's much of a market for Madhouse Deluxe. The Flesh was part of the whole creative process that led to The Dream Factory and eventually Sign O' the Times. So it wouldn't be totally out of place on a TDF/SOTT box set. But if The Flesh was released on its own, that would be good too.

This whole there is no market argument is an absurdity invented by those few but very vocal orgers who refuse to understand that the music industry isn't limited to Top 20 hits. Don't let their utter BS convince you. Of course there is a market. The myriad indie albums and obscure reissues released every year prove it. And it's Prince we're talking about, not some long forgotten artist.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #115 posted 05/30/20 2:34pm

databank

avatar

lustmealways said:

it's gonna be very dissappointing if there's a lot of/any overlap with the tracks on Crystal Ball. if they're only giving 2 or 3 cd's to outtakes, i'd hate to have that be stuffed with songs like Good Love and Sexual Suicide, as awesome as they are, they're already on all major streaming services and been heard by the fans for years.


They might choose to include alternate cuts of some of these tracks, like the CB with W&L or without orchestra, or the Bright Lights Big City Good Love (that one anyway would be on the b-sides and mixes CD not the vault CDs), but releasing the versions on CB would be so incredibly dumb that I don't see it happening,don't worry.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #116 posted 05/30/20 2:35pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

databank said:

SantanaMaitreya said:
I doubt if there's much of a market for Madhouse Deluxe. The Flesh was part of the whole creative process that led to The Dream Factory and eventually Sign O' the Times. So it wouldn't be totally out of place on a TDF/SOTT box set. But if The Flesh was released on its own, that would be good too.
This whole there is no market argument is an absurdity invented by those few but very vocal orgers who refuse to understand that the music industry isn't limited to Top 20 hits. Don't let their utter BS convince you. Of course there is a market. The myriad indie albums and obscure reissues released every year prove it. And it's Prince we're talking about, not some long forgotten artist.

But blah blah manufacturing costs, blah blah marketing costs.


Of course there's a market, you clearly get it with the "indie" and "obscure" release references, it's just a fair amount of orgers and both the estate want to maintain the illusion/delusion that he's 100% mainstream with the genuine propsect of hitting Purple Rain numbers every time up to bat.

By my count I can argue wayyy more of those 40 whatever solo LPs are "indie" and "obscure" than Top 40 hit city.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #117 posted 05/30/20 2:36pm

databank

avatar

SantanaMaitreya said:

databank said:



jn2 said:




SantanaMaitreya said:


I hope The Flesh will be on it.

Why? It's not the same era/project..



Not only that (it was Parade era) but releasing a selection of Flesh tracks on a Parade Deluxe album would be yet another fiasco from the Estate. There is enough Flesh material to justify an independent The Flesh release, which would honestly be somewhat awesome if the original mixes are faithfully recreatated. I also hope they don't throw some Madhouse outtakes in SOTT, and keep these for future Madhouse Deluxe rereleases. There is enough material from that era anyway not to use anything from the side projects. Clearly, the Estate isn't considering doing anything around these at the moment, but there will come a time when they have to do so. Then, hopefully, we can get new, more faithful mixes of the songs that were remixed arbitrarily on Originals. Anyway let's see if this is confirmed at all, since for now it appears we have no reliable source yet.


The Flesh was part of the whole creative process that led to The Dream Factory and eventually Sign O' the Times. So it wouldn't be totally out of place on a TDF/SOTT box set.

So was Dirty Mind if one follows your logic, but I think we can all agree there's no need for DM outtakes on a SOTT Deluxe.
[Edited 5/30/20 14:37pm]
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #118 posted 05/30/20 2:40pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

FragileUndertow said:

WhisperingDandelions said:

They didn't even stock them at "most" retail stores in the US.


Basically if you didn't pre-order or grab it on week 1 of release you were most likely outta luck, which is just ridiculous given the amount of purple prose people prattle on daily around here about how the estate has to "make some money." They finally produce a winner and people gotta shell out double price to some dude on eBay? Absurd.

[Edited 5/30/20 13:01pm]

Right 👍, I actually meant to say online retail stores. Walmart, Target had them online but they sold out. I noticed once they sold out they became non searchable, only the standard editions were available

If they're really daring this time out I dunno maybe they could stock it in an actual retail store? With that premium price coupled with the estate's debt there's really no reason any past, present or future fan willing to pay that amount shouldn't be able to easily. And not every potential buyer is like us refreshing news daily, plenty are impulse buyers who would get it if they could actually find it sitting on a shelf.

Does the estate hate money? How quick that release became an out of print luxury item is inexcusible.

[Edited 5/30/20 14:44pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #119 posted 05/30/20 2:40pm

databank

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:



databank said:


SantanaMaitreya said:
I doubt if there's much of a market for Madhouse Deluxe. The Flesh was part of the whole creative process that led to The Dream Factory and eventually Sign O' the Times. So it wouldn't be totally out of place on a TDF/SOTT box set. But if The Flesh was released on its own, that would be good too.

This whole there is no market argument is an absurdity invented by those few but very vocal orgers who refuse to understand that the music industry isn't limited to Top 20 hits. Don't let their utter BS convince you. Of course there is a market. The myriad indie albums and obscure reissues released every year prove it. And it's Prince we're talking about, not some long forgotten artist.

But blah blah manufacturing costs, blah blah marketing costs.



Of course there's a market, you clearly get it with the "indie" and "obscure" release references, it's just a fair amount of orgers and both the estate want to maintain the illusion/delusion that he's 100% mainstream with the genuine propsect of hitting Purple Rain numbers every time up to bat.

By my count I can argue wayyy more of those 40 whatever solo LPs are "indie" and "obscure" than Top 40 hit city.


This should and probably will change with time. The estate will not be in the same hands forever, and once they've sucked all the blood they could off the hits albums, they'll have to start looking at what else is there. We just need to live old enough to see it. Quit drugs, quit booze, quit smoking, use condoms, eat healthy and exercise daily, do it for Prince lol
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 37 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Sign O The Times Super Deluxe Info