independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Sign O The Times Super Deluxe Info
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 37 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 05/29/20 12:31pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

all right now let's get down to the real pressing issues at hand,


Are any SOTT outtakes shall we say "lyrically questionable" like what botched the last deluxe from goin' five stars fully? The estate has to be extra wary of not offending any 13 year old twitter warriors into a #cancelprince fury with their 6 printed limited edition physical copies bookending the outer crevices of a potential "super deluxe" track sequencing. We all know there is nothing more gen Z loves than pre-ordering 8CD Prince boxsets. We must be mindful of any possible fall-out from the pre tween youf.

[Edited 5/29/20 12:31pm]

[Edited 5/29/20 12:31pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 05/29/20 12:31pm

lust

avatar

2020 will be remembered as a great year!
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 05/29/20 12:32pm

lustmealways

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:

all right now let's get down to the real pressing issues at hand,


Are any SOTT outtakes shall we say "lyrically questionable" like what botched the last deluxe from goin' five stars fully? The estate has to be extra wary of not offending any 13 year old twitter warriors into a #cancelprince fury with their 6 printed limited edition physical copies bookending the outer crevices of a potential "super deluxe" track sequencing. We all know there is nothing more gen Z loves than pre-ordering 8CD Prince boxsets. We must be mindful of any possible fall-out from the pre tween youf.

[Edited 5/29/20 12:31pm]

[Edited 5/29/20 12:31pm]

I'm over here praying that "Eggplant" makes the cut.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 05/29/20 12:34pm

dave1dmarx

lust said:

2020 will be remembered as a great year!

In what universe? eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 05/29/20 12:35pm

sulls

avatar

Hopefully NO edits.

Would LOVE for them to release the U Got The Look 'banjo version'.

Think Madhouse 8 will be included?

Wonder if the DVD could be the 1st Ave show...

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 05/29/20 12:36pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

lustmealways said:

WhisperingDandelions said:

all right now let's get down to the real pressing issues at hand,


Are any SOTT outtakes shall we say "lyrically questionable" like what botched the last deluxe from goin' five stars fully? The estate has to be extra wary of not offending any 13 year old twitter warriors into a #cancelprince fury with their 6 printed limited edition physical copies bookending the outer crevices of a potential "super deluxe" track sequencing. We all know there is nothing more gen Z loves than pre-ordering 8CD Prince boxsets. We must be mindful of any possible fall-out from the pre tween youf.

[Edited 5/29/20 12:31pm]

[Edited 5/29/20 12:31pm]

I'm over here praying that "Eggplant" makes the cut.

ruh roh, Mr. How probably did a spit take reading that one's label on the reel canister.

Any others, fam?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 05/29/20 12:37pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

sulls said:

Think Madhouse 8 will be included?

It really shouldn't be.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 05/29/20 12:42pm

Poplife88

avatar

I really need this news to be true right now. Things suck (and I am think I am safe to say it does for a lot of us lately).

We're gonna need a bigger boat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 05/29/20 12:48pm

williamb610

Ha! Hurry up and get here September!

I tend to think our posts on this forum DO get noticed! I just made a thread about when they were going to put out some new info about this year's releases.

The Estate is slow poking it! I can spend a lot more money on releases than the once a year shit!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 05/29/20 12:49pm

lustmealways

avatar

Seeing as how they're releasing this in September, that makes me think there's gotta be one late November/December release ready to go for the Christmas market? Maybe an Originals II.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 05/29/20 1:07pm

rusty1

I hope "Walking in Glory" & "101"
is a part of this deluxe
[Edited 5/29/20 13:07pm]
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 05/29/20 1:10pm

lastdecember

avatar

Makes sense that they seem to be splitting all this up each year, with legacy issues and vinyls and the. Remastering and re boxing a classic album with outtakes and dvd and then coming at the end of the year with something different like the Originals from last year, not sure if they will have something this year for the fall, who knows with this pandemic if we have another wave in the fall/winter which is when you usually get these things to rise, that could effect upcoming releases and plans.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 05/29/20 1:10pm

smokeverbs

avatar

Obviously there's no need to include the Crystal Ball album. That would be a LOT of repetition with SOTT, and I think WB knows that. The seven tracks that were cut when it went from a triple to a double will surely be on one of the vault discs.

That being said, I would like it if one of the vault discs was the final Dream Factory. Yes, some repetition there, but it works so well as an album, the next Revolution album following Parade.

This is going to go great with Duane Tudahl's next book...

Keep your headphones on.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 05/29/20 1:12pm

ForceofNature

So 8 disks - 2 of which will be the original album so 6 disks remaining. I am guessing at least 3 of those will be the total summation of Dream Factory/CB/Camille tracks so people can mix and match and make each of those albums as opposed to including each album seperate to reduce redundancy. Then maybe a live show and another disk of misc. tracks? Total speculation on my part of course, just trying to think of the most realistic best guess
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 05/29/20 1:25pm

renfield

avatar

ForceofNature said:

So 8 disks - 2 of which will be the original album so 6 disks remaining. I am guessing at least 3 of those will be the total summation of Dream Factory/CB/Camille tracks so people can mix and match and make each of those albums as opposed to including each album seperate to reduce redundancy. Then maybe a live show and another disk of misc. tracks? Total speculation on my part of course, just trying to think of the most realistic best guess

There will of course be a disc of single edits, b-sides, and extended versions. Single edits for Sign O The Times, ICNTTPOYM, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Housequake, La La La He He Hee, and Shockadelica. Extended mixes of La La La He He Hee, Shockadelica, Housequake, U Got The Look, and Hot Thing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 05/29/20 1:35pm

Wolfie87

smokeverbs said:

Obviously there's no need to include the Crystal Ball album. That would be a LOT of repetition with SOTT, and I think WB knows that. The seven tracks that were cut when it went from a triple to a double will surely be on one of the vault discs.



That being said, I would like it if one of the vault discs was the final Dream Factory. Yes, some repetition there, but it works so well as an album, the next Revolution album following Parade.



This is going to go great with Duane Tudahl's next book...




Honestly, I want this project to be called Crystal Ball: Original configuration. This was his vision and he would've done it. But the executives was the last obstacle to the greatest album of the 80's and maybe of all time. S☮️TT was an afterthought. Disappointing really when you think about what could have been.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 05/29/20 1:40pm

ForceofNature

renfield said:



ForceofNature said:


So 8 disks - 2 of which will be the original album so 6 disks remaining. I am guessing at least 3 of those will be the total summation of Dream Factory/CB/Camille tracks so people can mix and match and make each of those albums as opposed to including each album seperate to reduce redundancy. Then maybe a live show and another disk of misc. tracks? Total speculation on my part of course, just trying to think of the most realistic best guess

There will of course be a disc of single edits, b-sides, and extended versions. Single edits for Sign O The Times, ICNTTPOYM, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Housequake, La La La He He Hee, and Shockadelica. Extended mixes of La La La He He Hee, Shockadelica, Housequake, U Got The Look, and Hot Thing.


Ah yes forgot about the obligatory edits and extended version disk lol. If that takes place of a live disk we still have our mystery disk DVD that surely will have live content of some sort - I am guessing not the SOTT concert video due to rights and licensing
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 05/29/20 1:57pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

ForceofNature said:

So 8 disks - 2 of which will be the original album so 6 disks remaining.

.

Like I've said before: you can squeeze SOTT onto one disk. https://en.wikipedia.org/...aying_time SOTT is 79:48.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 05/29/20 2:00pm

asideorderofha
m

BartVanHemelen said:

ForceofNature said:

So 8 disks - 2 of which will be the original album so 6 disks remaining.

.

Like I've said before: you can squeeze SOTT onto one disk. https://en.wikipedia.org/...aying_time SOTT is 79:48.


Looks like it will be split across 2 discs again though, if the image listing the different versions is correct.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 05/29/20 2:23pm

ForceofNature

BartVanHemelen said:



ForceofNature said:


So 8 disks - 2 of which will be the original album so 6 disks remaining.

.


Like I've said before: you can squeeze SOTT onto one disk. https://en.wikipedia.org/...aying_time SOTT is 79:48.


Theoretically it could be possible, but I am not sure if they will deviate from providing the original album in the original CD disk layout - however that is just my own theory
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 05/29/20 2:25pm

Strive

ForceofNature said:

So 8 disks - 2 of which will be the original album so 6 disks remaining. I am guessing at least 3 of those will be the total summation of Dream Factory/CB/Camille tracks so people can mix and match and make each of those albums as opposed to including each album seperate to reduce redundancy. Then maybe a live show and another disk of misc. tracks? Total speculation on my part of course, just trying to think of the most realistic best guess


Going off of 1999 Deluxe. I'm guessing.

Disc 1 & 2: Sign O' The Times Remastered

Disc 3: B-sides, extended mixes and remixes

Disc 4 & 5: From The Vault

After that, it's a crapshoot. I'm leaning towards

Disc 6: Camille (billed as a lost album in the PR for this release)

Disc 7 & 8: New Morning Aftershow from 15 June 1987 (a.m.) - Madhouse & Prince set

DVD: December 31 1987 show with Miles Davis. Audio only until the video starts. So the full performance for the first time.

"When you deny people the option to not pick a side, you may not like the side they'll pick."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 05/29/20 2:25pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

asideorderofham said:

BartVanHemelen said:

.

Like I've said before: you can squeeze SOTT onto one disk. https://en.wikipedia.org/...aying_time SOTT is 79:48.


Looks like it will be split across 2 discs again though, if the image listing the different versions is correct.

.

Ah yes, indeed. And one disc for the Deluxe, so that's all the edits and B-Sides.

.

So five extra discs.

.

I assume two of those will be for an SOTT live recording, and the DVD for a different concert (a la 1999SD). Was the First Ave try-out professionally recorded on video? Or is any other SOTT concert circulating as a PRO video recording?

.

So likely three discs of outtakes etc.

.

Shame really, they should release it as a Blu-ray and offer options to switch between the various album configurations, e.g. Camille, Dream Factory, Crystal Ball,...

.

And these releases should really come with a documentary à la Classic Albums.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 05/29/20 2:32pm

EnDoRpHn

Wolfie87 said:

Honestly, I want this project to be called Crystal Ball: Original configuration. This was his vision and he would've done it. But the executives was the last obstacle to the greatest album of the 80's and maybe of all time. S☮️TT was an afterthought. Disappointing really when you think about what could have been.



I'm thrilled beyond belief about this news, but this is why I will never consider SOTT Prince's "greatest album". It's not thematically or sonically coherent. 3/4 of the album is solid, and it certainly contains the most unique, ground-breaking songs Prince ever recorded. But there's no way anyone could put Slow Love, It and U Got the Look (which is a great pop song but would never be on my to-go list of incredible Prince songs) up there with The Ballad of Dorothy Parker, SOTT (the song) or Adore -- let alone with the hundreds of other truly great songs in Prince's canon.



I think Parade is just as strong as Purple Rain as a stand-alone *album*, and both are stronger as stand-alone efforts than the hodge-podge of SOTT. 1999 remains to me his strongest single album, especially because each of the 4 original sides could well have been its own EP. If Prince had never recorded anything other than these 4 albums, he would still be considered one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.

[Edited 5/29/20 14:41pm]

[Edited 5/29/20 14:42pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 05/29/20 2:33pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

  • Sign O' The Times (Edit) 3:42
  • La, La, La, He, He, Hee 3:21
  • La, La, La, He, He, Hee (Highly Explosive) 10:32
  • If I Was Your Girlfriend 3:46
  • Shockadelica 3:30
  • Shockadelica (Extended Version) 6:12
  • U Got The Look (Video Version) 5:32
  • U Got The Look (Long Look) 6:45
  • Housequake (7 Minutes MoQuake) 7:15
  • Housequake (Edit) 3:24
  • Hot Thing (Dub Version) 6:53
  • Hot Thing (Edit) 3:40
  • Hot Thing (Extended Remix) 8:32
  • I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (Fade) 3:39

.

Total: 76:43

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 05/29/20 2:35pm

asideorderofha
m

BartVanHemelen said:

  • Sign O' The Times (Edit) 3:42
  • La, La, La, He, He, Hee 3:21
  • La, La, La, He, He, Hee (Highly Explosive) 10:32
  • If I Was Your Girlfriend 3:46
  • Shockadelica 3:30
  • Shockadelica (Extended Version) 6:12
  • U Got The Look (Video Version) 5:32
  • U Got The Look (Long Look) 6:45
  • Housequake (7 Minutes MoQuake) 7:15
  • Housequake (Edit) 3:24
  • Hot Thing (Dub Version) 6:53
  • Hot Thing (Edit) 3:40
  • Hot Thing (Extended Remix) 8:32
  • I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (Fade) 3:39

.

Total: 76:43


That's an essential disc right there

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 05/29/20 2:40pm

VaultCurator

avatar

asideorderofham said:



BartVanHemelen said:



  • Sign O' The Times (Edit) 3:42

  • La, La, La, He, He, Hee 3:21

  • La, La, La, He, He, Hee (Highly Explosive) 10:32

  • If I Was Your Girlfriend 3:46

  • Shockadelica 3:30

  • Shockadelica (Extended Version) 6:12

  • U Got The Look (Video Version) 5:32

  • U Got The Look (Long Look) 6:45

  • Housequake (7 Minutes MoQuake) 7:15

  • Housequake (Edit) 3:24

  • Hot Thing (Dub Version) 6:53

  • Hot Thing (Edit) 3:40

  • Hot Thing (Extended Remix) 8:32

  • I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (Fade) 3:39


.


Total: 76:43




That's an essential disc right there



You say that. It'll be the first time that the longer version of Shockadelica has ever been issued on CD. I can forgive having a singles disc for this alone on this occasion.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 05/29/20 2:42pm

rusty1

EnDoRpHn said:



Wolfie87 said:


Honestly, I want this project to be called Crystal Ball: Original configuration. This was his vision and he would've done it. But the executives was the last obstacle to the greatest album of the 80's and maybe of all time. S☮️TT was an afterthought. Disappointing really when you think about what could have been.

I'm thrilled beyond belief about this news, but this is why I will never consider SOTT Prince's "greatest album". It's not thematically or sonically coherent. 3/4 of the album is solid, and it certainly contains the most unique, ground-breaking songs Prince ever recorded. But there's no way anyone could put Slow Love, It and U Got the Look (which is a great pop song but would never be on my to-go list of incredible Prince songs) up there with The Ballad of Dorothy Parker, SOTT (the song) or Adore -- let alone with the hundreds of other truly great songs in Prince's canon.



I think Parade is just as strong as Purple Rain as a stand-along *album*, and both are stronger as stand-alone efforts than the hodge-podge of SOTT. 1999 remains to me his strongest single album, especially because each of the 4 original sides could well have been its own EP. If Prince had never recorded anything other than these 4 albums, he would still be considered one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.




Sign o'the Times blows away Parade
but Parade is a good album
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 05/29/20 2:44pm

asideorderofha
m

VaultCurator said:

asideorderofham said:


That's an essential disc right there

You say that. It'll be the first time that the longer version of Shockadelica has ever been issued on CD. I can forgive having a singles disc for this alone on this occasion.


No sarcasm intended

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 05/29/20 2:44pm

rusty1

rusty1 said:

EnDoRpHn said:



Wolfie87 said:


Honestly, I want this project to be called Crystal Ball: Original configuration. This was his vision and he would've done it. But the executives was the last obstacle to the greatest album of the 80's and maybe of all time. S☮️TT was an afterthought. Disappointing really when you think about what could have been.

I'm thrilled beyond belief about this news, but this is why I will never consider SOTT Prince's "greatest album". It's not thematically or sonically coherent. 3/4 of the album is solid, and it certainly contains the most unique, ground-breaking songs Prince ever recorded. But there's no way anyone could put Slow Love, It and U Got the Look (which is a great pop song but would never be on my to-go list of incredible Prince songs) up there with The Ballad of Dorothy Parker, SOTT (the song) or Adore -- let alone with the hundreds of other truly great songs in Prince's canon.



I think Parade is just as strong as Purple Rain as a stand-along *album*, and both are stronger as stand-alone efforts than the hodge-podge of SOTT. 1999 remains to me his strongest single album, especially because each of the 4 original sides could well have been its own EP. If Prince had never recorded anything other than these 4 albums, he would still be considered one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.




Sign o'the Times blows away Parade
but Parade is a good album

Just as strong as PR?
hahahaha
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 05/29/20 2:58pm

dsimp8

Maybe the remaster can get Forever In My Life at the correct volume as the rest of album
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 37 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Sign O The Times Super Deluxe Info