independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 9th Dec 2019 2:50am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > top 50 prince songs
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/30/19 8:14am

lazer65

top 50 prince songs

uzi1.Do yourself a favor.2Beautiful ones.3.If iwas your Girlfriend.4.Free Urself.5.Alphabet Street.6.1999.7.Little red Corvette.8.Strange But True.9.Electric Intercourse.10.Controversy.11.Erotic City.12.Beautiful Strange.13.DMSR.14.Loose.15.Kiss.16.When Doves Cry.17.When 2r In love.18.IWanna Be Your Lover.19.I Wish U Heaven.20.If I Could Get Your Attention.21.International Lover.22.Its Gonna Be Lonely.23.Kiss Me Quick.24.LadyCab Driver.25.Lemon Crush.26.Make It Through The Storm.27.My Computer.28.Xtraloveable.29.Extraloveable.30.Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?.31.We Can Funk.32.Superfunkcalifragisexy.33.All The Critics Love You In Newyork.34.Sleep Around.35.She' Always In My Hair.36.Girl6.37.Gotta Broke Heart Again.38.Private Joy.39.Prettyman.40.DoMe Baby.41.The Human Body.42.I Feel For You.43.Its Gonna Be Lonely.44.Uptown.45.Purple Rain.46.Love Thy Will Be Done.47.Mountains.48.Pop Life.49.Nasty Girl.50.Power Fantastic.There You Have it ..as we Know what a Genius ...so many great tracks and some of my faves didnt make it still...damn ..I miss him..all of these are interchangeable as best songs i guess it should be top 100 .who has that kind of body of work. machinegun .

Do it like she like it !
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/30/19 12:35pm

PliablyPurple

How do you put together a top fifty P song list with no mention of Condition of the Heart or Adore? Lettin ya off the hook for not having them at no. 1 and no. 2, respectively, but nary a mention?! Tear that up and start over, thanks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/30/19 1:42pm

Johnytruelove8

Kinda bad when your number one song isn't a song Prince wrote himself.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/30/19 1:56pm

Genesia

avatar

How could anyone actually read that? Pro tip: Punctuation and line breaks are your friends.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/30/19 2:07pm

TheBigBang

avatar

As soon as I saw the list, I saw It's Gonna Be Lonely listed twice, at #22 and #43.

Could be others, but the format is giving me a headache.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/30/19 3:13pm

Freek99999

Lemon Crush, Girl 6 and The Human Body?

I'm not even going to type out how.....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/30/19 3:38pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Genesia said:

How could anyone actually read that? Pro tip: Punctuation and line breaks are your friends.


That's what I'm saying. My cats leave better logs in the litterbox than that mess. TL;DR

Besides, someone's top 50 isn't everyone else's. The very first response once "how can you not include ___________???"


Next.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/30/19 5:18pm

Moonbeam

avatar

Why not? Here's my attempt:

[1] Moonbeam Levels
[2] Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
[3] 1999
[4] Crystal Ball
[5] Peach
[6] Anna Stesia
[7] The Cross
[8] Controversy
[9] Mountains
[10] All the Critics Love U in New York
[11] Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic
[12] Computer Blue
[13] Chocolate
[14] Sign o' the Times
[15] Neon Telephone
[16] Automatic
[17] Noon Rendezvous
[18] Positivity
[19] Lisa
[20] I Wish U Heaven
[21] Let's Go Crazy
[22] Free Urself
[23] 3 Chains o' Gold
[24] Uptown
[25] Now
[26] Starfish and Coffee
[27] Girls & Boys
[28] Delirious
[29] Eye No
[30] Private Joy
[31] Loveleft, Loveright
[32] D.M.S.R.
[33] Father's Song
[34] The Question of U
[35] 319
[36] Love… Thy Will Be Done
[37] Let's Work
[38] Empty Room
[39] She's Always in My Hair
[40] Head
[41] Dirty Mind
[42] Strange Relationship
[43] Extraloveable
[44] Power Fantastic
[45] Erotic City
[46] 3121
[47] Endorphinmachine
[48] Cream
[49] Way Back Home
[50] Open Book

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/01/19 12:23pm

rusty1

Moonbeam said:

Why not? Here's my attempt:

[1] Moonbeam Levels
[2] Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
[3] 1999
[4] Crystal Ball
[5] Peach
[6] Anna Stesia
[7] The Cross
[8] Controversy
[9] Mountains
[10] All the Critics Love U in New York
[11] Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic
[12] Computer Blue
[13] Chocolate
[14] Sign o' the Times
[15] Neon Telephone
[16] Automatic
[17] Noon Rendezvous
[18] Positivity
[19] Lisa
[20] I Wish U Heaven
[21] Let's Go Crazy
[22] Free Urself
[23] 3 Chains o' Gold
[24] Uptown

[25] Now
[26] Starfish and Coffee
[27] Girls & Boys
[28] Delirious
[29] Eye No
[30] Private Joy
[31] Loveleft, Loveright
[32] D.M.S.R.
[33] Father's Song
[34] The Question of U
[35] 319
[36] Love… Thy Will Be Done
[37] Let's Work
[38] Empty Room
[39] She's Always in My Hair
[40] Head
[41] Dirty Mind
[42] Strange Relationship
[43] Extraloveable
[44] Power Fantastic
[45] Erotic City
[46] 3121
[47] Endorphinmachine
[48] Cream
[49] Way Back Home
[50] Open Book



unreal a top 50 songs ever
with no " when doves cry" which is his
best song ever.
but " now" is on your list being
one of his worst ever
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/01/19 2:53pm

Moonbeam

avatar

rusty1 said:


unreal a top 50 songs ever with no " when doves cry" which is his best song ever. but " now" is on your list being one of his worst ever


Unreal that someone has a different opinion to you. Grow up.

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/01/19 3:37pm

robertgeorge

TrivialPursuit said:

Genesia said:

How could anyone actually read that? Pro tip: Punctuation and line breaks are your friends.


That's what I'm saying. My cats leave better logs in the litterbox than that mess. TL;DR

Besides, someone's top 50 isn't everyone else's. The very first response once "how can you not include ___________???"


Next.


I wonder, does your cat post for you sometimes as well?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/01/19 5:14pm

rusty1

Moonbeam said:



rusty1 said:



unreal a top 50 songs ever with no " when doves cry" which is his best song ever. but " now" is on your list being one of his worst ever


Unreal that someone has a different opinion to you. Grow up.



"when doves cry" is a classic song
but hey instead i will say
"now" , "jughead", & "the law"
are among his best just to be different
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/01/19 5:19pm

rusty1

3 chains of gold haha
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/01/19 7:00pm

Moonbeam

avatar

rusty1 said:

3 chains of gold haha


I’m ranking based on my enjoyment, not yours. I love “When Doves Cry” too, just not as much as the ones I included.

And it’s not “to be different” or whatever. I have some huge hits in my list like “1999”, “Sign o’ the Times”, “Let’s Go Crazy”, and “Cream”.

Prince fans are diverse in many ways, including what songs and albums they like best. That shouldn’t be a surprise...
Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/01/19 7:26pm

rusty1

Moonbeam said:

rusty1 said:

3 chains of gold haha


I’m ranking based on my enjoyment, not yours. I love “When Doves Cry” too, just not as much as the ones I included.

And it’s not “to be different” or whatever. I have some huge hits in my list like “1999”, “Sign o’ the Times”, “Let’s Go Crazy”, and “Cream”.

Prince fans are diverse in many ways, including what songs and albums they like best. That shouldn’t be a surprise...


my point is WDC should be on any best of Prince song list
as well as LRC..
"the Beautiful Ones" etc
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/01/19 9:01pm

robertgeorge

1) The beautiful ones
2) Darling Nikki
3) Moonbeam Levels
4) Question of U
5) Joy in repetition
6) Dark
7) lady cab driver
8) Old friends 4 sale
9) Power fantastic
10) 3 chains of Gold
11) Do urself a favor
12) how come u dont call me anymore
13) Neon Rendezvous
14) F.U.N.K
15) When Doves Cry
16) Witness 4 the prosecution
17) Extraloveable
18) Erotic City
19) 17 days
20) Girl
21) Condition of the heart
22) America
23) Anotherloverholenyohead
24) Ballad of Dorothy Parker
25) Crystal Ball
26) Sign o the times
27) life can be so nice
28) Dance Electric
29) Fathers song
30) I can't love u anymore
31) Money Don't matter 2 nite
32) Violet the organ grinder
33) Hello
34) Anna Stesia
35) lovesexy
36) something in the water does not compute
37) Damn U
38) Mountains
39) I hate U
40) computer blue
41) Annie christian
42) Baby i'm a star
43) We can funk/fuck
44) Wonderful Ass
45) party man
46) Private joy
47) superfunkycalifragisexy
48) An honest man/venus de milo/UTCM Piano medley
49) If I was ur girlfriend
50) Still would stand all time

Talk about too many hits. Watch out for the clandestine stealth edit.

[Edited 6/1/19 21:10pm]

[Edited 6/1/19 21:11pm]

[Edited 6/1/19 21:18pm]

[Edited 6/1/19 21:28pm]

[Edited 6/1/19 21:32pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/01/19 10:14pm

Moonbeam

avatar

rusty1 said:

Moonbeam said:



I’m ranking based on my enjoyment, not yours. I love “When Doves Cry” too, just not as much as the ones I included.

And it’s not “to be different” or whatever. I have some huge hits in my list like “1999”, “Sign o’ the Times”, “Let’s Go Crazy”, and “Cream”.

Prince fans are diverse in many ways, including what songs and albums they like best. That shouldn’t be a surprise...


my point is WDC should be on any best of Prince song list
as well as LRC..
"the Beautiful Ones" etc


I guess we should all check with you then before deciding what we like? Glad to know we have a taste oracle here.
Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/01/19 11:05pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

robertgeorge said:

TrivialPursuit said:


That's what I'm saying. My cats leave better logs in the litterbox than that mess. TL;DR

Besides, someone's top 50 isn't everyone else's. The very first response once "how can you not include ___________???"


Next.


I wonder, does your cat post for you sometimes as well?


Only Phoebe, but she's sort of our defacto watch dog. She's got our shit on 128-bit encryption.

Sookie is too young to be on social media, and SkinnyGirl has challenges, so she has a kids-only account on her Fire tablet.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/02/19 3:05am

Philly76

avatar

Sorry to say but setting up top50 lists without purple rain while mentioning songs like lisa, hello and loveleftloveright clearly shows me some ppl really dont have a clue what they are talking about away from all the musical taste discussions.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/02/19 3:40am

Moonbeam

avatar

Philly76 said:

Sorry to say but setting up top50 lists without purple rain while mentioning songs like lisa, hello and loveleftloveright clearly shows me some ppl really dont have a clue what they are talking about away from all the musical taste discussions.


Seriously, is it that hard to just let people like what they like? I love “Purple Rain” too. It’s just that I love the other songs I posted more.

This place is too toxic it seems to just celebrate what we love about the man’s music.
Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/02/19 4:00am

Wolfie87

[1] If I Was Your Girlfriend
[2] Pink Cashmere (The guitar/string part is unreal]

[3] Love 2 The 9's ( His falsetto is in peak level during the last minute)

[4] 1999 (The Best partytrack of all time, and I love parties)

[5] Adore (The best ballad of the 80's released in the kitsch year of 1987, only Prince could do that)
[6] Space (And I love all remixes)

[7] Alphabet St.

[8] Sexy Dancer

[9] I Would Die 4 U

[10] Head

[11] My Love Is Forever

[12] A Love Bizarre [Extended Version]
[13] 17 Days

[14] Pop Life

[15] I Wanna Be Your Lover
[16] Sex Shooter
[17] Cream
[18] Partyman

[19] Private Joy
[20] Do It All Night
[21] If The Kid Can't Make You Come (Long Version, Blast From The Past edition)
[22] Scandalous
[23] Boys Club (Is that Prince though?)
[24] Elephants & Flowers
[25] Computer Blue (Hallway)
[26] Kiss

[27] She's Always In My Hair
[28] Hot Thing
[29] Shhh
[30] Little Red Corvette
[31] Diamonds & Pearls
[32] Get Wild
[33] Lovesexy
[34] Insatiable
[35] Purple Rain (But mostly the different variations on the guitar solo)
[36] If a Girl Answers (Don't Hang Up)
[37] The Bird
[38] Mountains
[39] I Hate U
[40] Automatic

[41] Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) (Only Orange Bowl rehearsal 1985)
[42] Eye Know
[43] Baby, You're a Trip
[44] Lady Cab Driver
[45] Cool Love
[46] Sexual Suicide
[47] Controversy
[48] The Beautiful Ones
[49] Do Me Baby
[50] D.M.S.R.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/02/19 4:45am

gandorb

Moonbeam said:

Philly76 said:
Sorry to say but setting up top50 lists without purple rain while mentioning songs like lisa, hello and loveleftloveright clearly shows me some ppl really dont have a clue what they are talking about away from all the musical taste discussions.
Seriously, is it that hard to just let people like what they like? I love “Purple Rain” too. It’s just that I love the other songs I posted more. This place is too toxic it seems to just celebrate what we love about the man’s music.

co-sign!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/02/19 5:14am

AvocadosMax

No one has Hrdrocklover in their top 50? Just me? Ok lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/02/19 7:11am

rusty1

Moonbeam said:

rusty1 said:



my point is WDC should be on any best of Prince song list
as well as LRC..
"the Beautiful Ones" etc


I guess we should all check with you then before deciding what we like? Glad to know we have a taste oracle here.


"when you were mine"
should be on any list before "3 chains of gold"
in my opinion WYWM is one of his top songs.
since this is a best of list
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/02/19 7:15am

rusty1

Philly76 said:

Sorry to say but setting up top50 lists without purple rain while mentioning songs like lisa, hello and loveleftloveright clearly shows me some ppl really dont have a clue what they are talking about away from all the musical taste discussions.


i agree 100%
"Little Red Corvette"
"When you were mine"
"When doves Cry"
"Condition of the heart"
"The beautiful Ones"
"I could never take the place of your man"
should all be on any top 50 best Prince songs
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/02/19 3:33pm

robertgeorge

Could everybody just put Purple Rain and Kiss on their list so people don't freakout. FFS let people put what they want on their own list.

But for Prince 50 songs is a compromise. Lots of cool songs don't make the cut. I noticed I did not include Shockadelica or Feel U Up. I wish there was a place for gotta stop messin around. I need to find a place for Billy Jack Bitch, and Irresistible bitch and.........

If somebody likes loveleft loverright which I always thought of as a slight tune then more power to them.

I don't think people are trying to be edgy or cool by picking different songs, if anything we are maybe overexposed as purple rain being the "only song" Prince is known for. I would much rather someone say like they did once to me that Prince song 200 balloons is cool.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/02/19 8:49pm

mbdtyler

I'm not even going to attempt to make a list, but if I did, these would be somewhere in the top 10:

-The Ballad of Dorothy Parker
-Joy In Repetition
-Power Fantastic

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/02/19 9:21pm

Moonbeam

avatar

rusty1 said:

Moonbeam said:
I guess we should all check with you then before deciding what we like? Glad to know we have a taste oracle here.
"when you were mine" should be on any list before "3 chains of gold" in my opinion WYWM is one of his top songs. since this is a best of list


Why should it be on my list ahead of "3 Chains o' Gold" if I prefer "3 Chains o' Gold"?

Are you trying to parse some difference between subjectivity and objectivity? If so, how can anyone possibly come up with an objective way to assign quality to music?

Personally, I don't subscribe to that theory. What is "best" for one person is different from what is "best" to someone else, as it should be. Nobody is going to come up with a fool-proof way of objectively rating music.

If what you want is a consensus list, then the results of a big poll I conducted in 2017 are more likely to be to your liking:


[1] If I Was Your Girlfriend
[2] Sign O' The Times
[3] Erotic City
[4] Raspberry Beret
[5] Let's Go Crazy
[6] When Doves Cry
[7] 1999
[8] Girls & Boys
[9] Little Red Corvette
[10] D.M.S.R.
[11] Kiss
[12] Purple Rain
[13] Pop Life
[14] The Beautiful Ones
[15] The Question Of U
[16] 17 Days
[17] Anotherloverholenyohead
[18] Controversy
[19] I Wanna Be Your Lover
[20] Sometimes It Snows In April
[21] Housequake
[22] Joy In Repetition
[23] Paisley Park
[24] Anna Stesia
[25] Gett Off
[26] I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
[27] Computer Blue
[28] Let's Work
[29] Dirty Mind
[30] Forever In My Life
[31] The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker
[32] Strange Relationship
[33] When You Were Mine
[34] Automatic
[35] Adore
[36] She's Always In My Hair
[37] Starfish And Coffee
[38] Crystal Ball
[39] Thieves In The Temple
[40] Hot Thing
[41] Uptown
[42] Mountains
[43] The Cross
[44] Baby I'm A Star
[45] Days Of Wild
[46] Do Me, Baby
[47] Alphabet St.
[48] How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
[49] I Would Die 4 U
[50] Lady Cab Driver

As it is, though, you are just sounding like a grumpy curmudgeon insisting on ridiculously rigid rules of what "should" and "shouldn't" be about someone's personal list.

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/02/19 9:23pm

Moonbeam

avatar

robertgeorge said:

Could everybody just put Purple Rain and Kiss on their list so people don't freakout. FFS let people put what they want on their own list.

But for Prince 50 songs is a compromise. Lots of cool songs don't make the cut. I noticed I did not include Shockadelica or Feel U Up. I wish there was a place for gotta stop messin around. I need to find a place for Billy Jack Bitch, and Irresistible bitch and.........

If somebody likes loveleft loverright which I always thought of as a slight tune then more power to them.

I don't think people are trying to be edgy or cool by picking different songs, if anything we are maybe overexposed as purple rain being the "only song" Prince is known for. I would much rather someone say like they did once to me that Prince song 200 balloons is cool.


clapping

I've got a lot of love for the hits. I've also got a lot of love for songs that weren't hits, too. It doesn't make my list any more or any less valid than anybody else's list.

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/02/19 10:06pm

Wolfie87

OMG, I missed Feel U Up and Erotic City on my list! Picking a top 50 song list is a daunting task. He's got too much material.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > top 50 prince songs