independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 22nd Oct 2019 9:44am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Nothing Compares 2 U and I Am The Walrus
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/09/19 6:09pm

LaurenceNoonan

Nothing Compares 2 U and I Am The Walrus

If you listen to the intro of Nothing Compares 2 U (original version) the keyboard sounds very similar to the keyboard in the song I Am The Walrus. Just in a slower tempo. Honestly check it out!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/10/19 2:16am

McD

avatar

LaurenceNoonan said:

If you listen to the intro of Nothing Compares 2 U (original version) the keyboard sounds very similar to the keyboard in the song I Am The Walrus. Just in a slower tempo. Honestly check it out!



I think it’s been noted on here a few times.

It’s impossible to hear that opening and not think it’s about to explode into Walrus. Whether or not Prince was aware of this, I don’t know, but if I had to guess I’d say it’s unintentional. Unlike what Oasis did with Don’t Look Back In Anger a decade later reusing the intro to another Lennon song.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/10/19 2:56am

jaawwnn

avatar

I feel like that keyboard rhythm must have been around forever, it's just one of those things you play when you have two hands on a keyboard isn't it? I'd say that's why Prince removed it from the actually released version, too obvious.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/10/19 3:47am

Milty2

Becareful what you post on here. Some people have hissy fits about stuff like this.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/10/19 6:48am

LaurenceNoonan

McD said:

LaurenceNoonan said:

If you listen to the intro of Nothing Compares 2 U (original version) the keyboard sounds very similar to the keyboard in the song I Am The Walrus. Just in a slower tempo. Honestly check it out!



I think it’s been noted on here a few times.

It’s impossible to hear that opening and not think it’s about to explode into Walrus. Whether or not Prince was aware of this, I don’t know, but if I had to guess I’d say it’s unintentional. Unlike what Oasis did with Don’t Look Back In Anger a decade later reusing the intro to another Lennon song.


True that and ah, I remember Noel said in an interview he sampled it and hoped people would listen to Imagine! Either way, all 3 kick ass
[Edited 4/10/19 6:50am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/10/19 6:49am

LaurenceNoonan

jaawwnn said:

I feel like that keyboard rhythm must have been around forever, it's just one of those things you play when you have two hands on a keyboard isn't it? I'd say that's why Prince removed it from the actually released version, too obvious.


Hmmm, probably true!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/10/19 6:49am

LaurenceNoonan

Milty2 said:

Becareful what you post on here. Some people have hissy fits about stuff like this.


Oh yeah.. I forgot how toxic this org is neutral
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/10/19 7:18am

TheFman

I'd say it's intentional, knowing that he ripped of so many other songs for most of his hits razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/10/19 5:10pm

laytonian

.

Take Me With U and I Am The Walrus are more the same than NC2U.

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/10/19 5:42pm

Milty2

LaurenceNoonan said:

Milty2 said:

Becareful what you post on here. Some people have hissy fits about stuff like this.

Oh yeah.. I forgot how toxic this org is neutral

The toxicity is so 2002.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/10/19 5:45pm

rdhull

avatar

Milty2 said:

LaurenceNoonan said:

Milty2 said: Oh yeah.. I forgot how toxic this org is neutral

The toxicity is so 2002.

Hey, 2002 was a very good year (r.i.p. Frank). Try after 2005

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/11/19 5:26pm

Milty2

rdhull said:

Milty2 said:

The toxicity is so 2002.

Hey, 2002 was a very good year (r.i.p. Frank). Try after 2005

haha There was also a good bit of community however. It definitely isn't like it used to be.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Nothing Compares 2 U and I Am The Walrus