independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 16th Nov 2019 7:20pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > While My Guitar Gently Weeps: a thought that's occurred to me.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/17/19 11:20am

SimonCharles

avatar

While My Guitar Gently Weeps: a thought that's occurred to me.

Like many, I've watched that clip and admired the playing, the syncronicity between Prince and the others performing the song, etc...Over the last many watches, however, I've come to think how lovely it would have been for him to have remained on stage and share in the acclaim/response of the audience and the band. The shared glances between him and Tom Petty are delightful; how sweet it would have been to she them hug/exchange greetings at the end, Harrison's son and Lynne, too.

Anyhoo - obviously, that's not what Prince thought and all power, etc - who am I, and all that - and, I suppose, this thought has occurred because Prince is dead now and the significance - if that's the right word - of this performance has shifted somewhat.

Anyway, I just thought I come on here and share. If you'd like to join in the conversation, that would be lovely. If you'd like to ignore the conversation, that would be lovely.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/17/19 11:23am

SimonCharles

avatar

A second thought to go with this one -

On the stories from the tour bus series, that Morris Day has contributed to, he speaks of the last The Time performance at Paisley Park, and how, after the show, as he walked around a quiet and empty Paisley Prince came out of the shadows and they hugged and he congratulated Morris on the show. That may very well have happened to some degree or other after the While My...performance with the performers. It may not have but, I guess - again just my thoughts - that that sort of behind closed doors acknowledgement and appreciation may have been to Prince's preference.

I am going to try and stop having thoughts, now.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/17/19 1:14pm

peggyon

SimonCharles said:

Like many, I've watched that clip and admired the playing, the syncronicity between Prince and the others performing the song, etc...Over the last many watches, however, I've come to think how lovely it would have been for him to have remained on stage and share in the acclaim/response of the audience and the band. The shared glances between him and Tom Petty are delightful; how sweet it would have been to she them hug/exchange greetings at the end, Harrison's son and Lynne, too.

Anyhoo - obviously, that's not what Prince thought and all power, etc - who am I, and all that - and, I suppose, this thought has occurred because Prince is dead now and the significance - if that's the right word - of this performance has shifted somewhat.

Anyway, I just thought I come on here and share. If you'd like to join in the conversation, that would be lovely. If you'd like to ignore the conversation, that would be lovely.

His choice to leave the stage the way he did has been of interest to me as well.

I also wished he would have stayed to shake hands etc as the song was a tribute to George Harrison.

I vacillate among three possible explanations:

-Though he was famous and an amazing musician, perhaps he was a bit shy and not much of a schmoozer.

-He was in process of becoming commercially successful again, ie., Hall of Fame, Musicology etc., and used the solo to shine light on his talent and wanted to 'steal the show'

-I think there was discussion by Tom Petty and George's wife about only having those who knew George play the tribute song...perhaps Prince felt slighted?

really do not know of course...just some thoughts

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/17/19 3:59pm

laytonian

Yes, George's wife was opposed to Prince playing because he was not a compatriot.
Slight #2 was Petty's sideman Marin playing over Prince's parts during rehearsal.

I think that's what spurred him on.
Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/18/19 7:03am

alandail

More dramatic to do what he did and leave.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/18/19 7:05am

Se7en

avatar

Leaving the stage the way he did was pure Prince. It never bothered me that he did that.

Don't forget - that was HIS night too. He was not just some "runner up" to George Harrison.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/18/19 11:36am

SimonCharles

avatar

peggyon said:

SimonCharles said:

Like many, I've watched that clip and admired the playing, the syncronicity between Prince and the others performing the song, etc...Over the last many watches, however, I've come to think how lovely it would have been for him to have remained on stage and share in the acclaim/response of the audience and the band. The shared glances between him and Tom Petty are delightful; how sweet it would have been to she them hug/exchange greetings at the end, Harrison's son and Lynne, too.

Anyhoo - obviously, that's not what Prince thought and all power, etc - who am I, and all that - and, I suppose, this thought has occurred because Prince is dead now and the significance - if that's the right word - of this performance has shifted somewhat.

Anyway, I just thought I come on here and share. If you'd like to join in the conversation, that would be lovely. If you'd like to ignore the conversation, that would be lovely.

His choice to leave the stage the way he did has been of interest to me as well.

I also wished he would have stayed to shake hands etc as the song was a tribute to George Harrison.

I vacillate among three possible explanations:

-Though he was famous and an amazing musician, perhaps he was a bit shy and not much of a schmoozer.

-He was in process of becoming commercially successful again, ie., Hall of Fame, Musicology etc., and used the solo to shine light on his talent and wanted to 'steal the show'

-I think there was discussion by Tom Petty and George's wife about only having those who knew George play the tribute song...perhaps Prince felt slighted?

really do not know of course...just some thoughts

Thanks for your thoughts, yes. I'd been unaware of the dispute re Prince playing - not paid that much attention to the backstory of his being involved, to be honest. I find that interesting.

The shyness and the steal the show elements do sound like Prince...a wonderful contrast of a person that he was.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/18/19 11:37am

SimonCharles

avatar

laytonian said:

Yes, George's wife was opposed to Prince playing because he was not a compatriot. Slight #2 was Petty's sideman Marin playing over Prince's parts during rehearsal. I think that's what spurred him on.

The rehearsal story is an interesting one, yes: I can imagine how that would have gee'd him up.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/18/19 11:38am

SimonCharles

avatar

alandail said:

More dramatic to do what he did and leave.

True.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/18/19 11:39am

SimonCharles

avatar

Se7en said:

Leaving the stage the way he did was pure Prince. It never bothered me that he did that.

Don't forget - that was HIS night too. He was not just some "runner up" to George Harrison.

That's why I think him staying on stage and sharing the limelight/getting the reaction and love he would have done from the audience and his fellow players would have been so lovely to see.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/18/19 11:48am

Genesia

avatar

Because by leaving the stage immediately, he was covered regardless of whether it went off well or not. If it wasn't well received, he wouldn't have prolonged the agony and would still have managed to add to his mystique. If he killed it (as he did), it would only make him a bigger badass.

In other words, it was just Prince being the best Prince he could be in any given situation.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/18/19 12:00pm

peggyon

they did not give him a microphone either; I think his voice would have added so much to the song

Prince was asked to play (While My Guitar...) by one of the producers of the show.

[Edited 3/18/19 12:04pm]

[Edited 3/18/19 12:05pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/18/19 12:10pm

databank

avatar

Genesia said:

Because by leaving the stage immediately, he was covered regardless of whether it went off well or not. If it wasn't well received, he wouldn't have prolonged the agony and would still have managed to add to his mystique. If he killed it (as he did), it would only make him a bigger badass.

In other words, it was just Prince being the best Prince he could be in any given situation.

nod

In a way it was also him getting back at that Rolling Stones audience in 1981, and more generally the rock audiences that hated his guts in the 80's and 90's. Now he was a true rock legend among other rock legends, paying homage to a Beatle, and screw the haters. That and the Superbowl performance as well.

Not saying he necessarily thought of it explicitely, or that he did those performances with that in mind, but to me it was kind of a subtext to those 2 performances (which in themselves are both something of an oddity in his career).

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home

I apologize for every time I offended someone when debates got "heated". Love y'all yes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/18/19 12:43pm

dandan

If that rehearsal story is true then I'm glad he stole the show and boucned. He made the lot of them look like OAPs. Tom Petty's face when Prince leaned back off the stage was becuase he was imagining the back pain he'd feel if he'd tried to do that.


I got two sides... and they're both friends.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/18/19 3:43pm

SimonCharles

avatar

Genesia said:

Because by leaving the stage immediately, he was covered regardless of whether it went off well or not. If it wasn't well received, he wouldn't have prolonged the agony and would still have managed to add to his mystique. If he killed it (as he did), it would only make him a bigger badass.

In other words, it was just Prince being the best Prince he could be in any given situation.

That's a fair point too...although, I can't imagine how it could not have been well received: there was just fine playing, no histrionics.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/18/19 3:44pm

SimonCharles

avatar

dandan said:

If that rehearsal story is true then I'm glad he stole the show and boucned. He made the lot of them look like OAPs. Tom Petty's face when Prince leaned back off the stage was becuase he was imagining the back pain he'd feel if he'd tried to do that.


An aspect of the story I've found a bit hard to swallow is the revisionism of Harrison's son. That's not forced delight on his face, during this performance; that's enjoyment.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/18/19 4:17pm

kingricefan

My take on this moment is that Prince just took over the stage and went with what he was feeling. I've watched the clip numerous times and I've always thought that Petty became alittle irritated with Prince for playing his guitar for a longer time than what the band originally wanted him to play. I think there's even one part where Tom starts to sing over Prince's playing and then realizes that P ain't stopping and just goes with it, then he realizes what's happening and becomes amazed at just how good Prince is at that moment. George's son is definately having the time of his life- you can see the sheer joy on his face.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/18/19 5:35pm

purplefam99

Did Petty realize he was wearing Purple?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/18/19 7:50pm

ufoclub

avatar

purplefam99 said:

Did Petty realize he was wearing Purple?


That might have been to support the fact that Prince was inducted that same night.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/19/19 3:57am

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

Genesia said:

Because by leaving the stage immediately, he was covered regardless of whether it went off well or not. If it wasn't well received, he wouldn't have prolonged the agony and would still have managed to add to his mystique. If he killed it (as he did), it would only make him a bigger badass.

In other words, it was just Prince being the best Prince he could be in any given situation.

clapping And that always worked like hell with me! lol

Here's what bothers ME:

Prince died of an overdose of the drug Fentanyl. Of which, it is very highly fucking likely that he never even knew he'd taken.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/19/19 4:36am

JorisE73

He just killed it and pimp-walked right off!
Awesome!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/19/19 5:21am

dodger

SimonCharles said:

dandan said:

If that rehearsal story is true then I'm glad he stole the show and boucned. He made the lot of them look like OAPs. Tom Petty's face when Prince leaned back off the stage was becuase he was imagining the back pain he'd feel if he'd tried to do that.


An aspect of the story I've found a bit hard to swallow is the revisionism of Harrison's son. That's not forced delight on his face, during this performance; that's enjoyment.

Yes, he made himself look stupid with his negative comments years later when at the time he was smiling away and can be heard saying at the end 'where's Prince?'

.

If the rehearsal story is true it makes his performance and exit even more enjoyable.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/19/19 6:47am

dandan

Woah, woah, woah what's all this about Dani Harrison not liking it? I've never heard that.

I got two sides... and they're both friends.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/19/19 7:23am

Genesia

avatar

SimonCharles said:

Genesia said:

Because by leaving the stage immediately, he was covered regardless of whether it went off well or not. If it wasn't well received, he wouldn't have prolonged the agony and would still have managed to add to his mystique. If he killed it (as he did), it would only make him a bigger badass.

In other words, it was just Prince being the best Prince he could be in any given situation.

That's a fair point too...although, I can't imagine how it could not have been well received: there was just fine playing, no histrionics.


I just meant it in terms of the fact that Prince didn't have a real rehearsal. That guy who had the first solo just kept stomping all over Prince at the rehearsal, to the point where Prince basically said to the director (or producer or whatever) afterward, "Don't worry - I got this."

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/19/19 8:36am

SPYZFAN1

Yeah, I've also read (on the org) that Dhani talked some smack about P's HOF performance.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/19/19 9:08am

dandan

SPYZFAN1 said:

Yeah, I've also read (on the org) that Dhani talked some smack about P's HOF performance.


He was fucking LOVING IT!

I got two sides... and they're both friends.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/19/19 9:31am

Farfunknugin

avatar

dandan said:

Woah, woah, woah what's all this about Dani Harrison not liking it? I've never heard that.

Yeah he mentioned that Prince showboated (which he did but thats prince..) but so what? Don't go back & say you had a problem with it when clearly you didnt back when..

I heard Petty was pissed at P not learning the song. Apparently in rehearsal Prince played like he hadn't even heard the tape they sent him. In hindsight I think this was P setting them up for the nxt day when he would blow them outta the water, gives the moment more spontaniety & we all know Prince was married to the moment.

[Edited 3/19/19 9:31am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/19/19 10:45am

peggyon

Farfunknugin said:

dandan said:

Woah, woah, woah what's all this about Dani Harrison not liking it? I've never heard that.

Yeah he mentioned that Prince showboated (which he did but thats prince..) but so what? Don't go back & say you had a problem with it when clearly you didnt back when..

I heard Petty was pissed at P not learning the song. Apparently in rehearsal Prince played like he hadn't even heard the tape they sent him. In hindsight I think this was P setting them up for the nxt day when he would blow them outta the water, gives the moment more spontaniety & we all know Prince was married to the moment.

[Edited 3/19/19 9:31am]

I think Dhani may have been referring to Prince's showy exit (Guitar throw erc.) I can see his point.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/19/19 5:54pm

kewlschool

avatar

I have the expanded rarhof disc set. It shows Prince backstage right after the performance and he is talking with one of the members of ZZTop and then leaves to go to a concert that he was already late to perform at.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/19/19 10:41pm

thebanishedone

lots of mis informations here

first of all Prince didnt have a chance 2 stretch during

the rehearsals because the guitar player who played the

first solo started playing the second solo in the spot where Prince was

supposed to play lead guitar.

After the rehearsal Prince told the organisators not to

worry and that everything will be ok.

Now regarding u wanting Prince to stay after the rnr

performance and share the spotlight????

what the f...? how could he stay there after

offering his heart on a plate?

That solo was far from best guitar solo by Prince but for sure he did invest

all his heart soul and balls.

And its not true that While My Guitar was a tribute to George only.it was

a tribute to George and Prince because both of them

got inducted at the same time.

Everything Prince did that night was perfect.

Up until 3min and 26 sec tribute to George was very boring

lame and basic and i bet Prince got pissed and he was thinking fuck it

and he gave his soul right there .have you notice the change of vibe and dynamics after Prince starts soloing??? not only did he kick ass but he made musicians who played backing for him to elevate their performance also .

so it was so natural 4 him to leave after he did take no prisoners aprouch.

[Edited 3/19/19 22:41pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > While My Guitar Gently Weeps: a thought that's occurred to me.