independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 4th Apr 2020 3:10pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New book: My Name Is Prince by Randee St. Nicholas - 10-15-19
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 01/23/19 6:17am

Empress

Book lover's and book collector's will rejoice! This will be a must have for my book collection.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 01/23/19 8:48am

TwiliteKid

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

TwiliteKid said:

No, it really isn't.

What would have to be included for you to justify spending 75 quid on a book?

We're talking about dollars, not pounds - but, next time you're in a book store, have a look at the art/photography section. This is not unusal for that sort of thing - Taschen books are often $200 or more! If they do this right, on high quality stock and binding $75 is not out of line at all.

[Edited 1/23/19 8:49am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 01/23/19 9:05am

Vannormal

avatar

pinkcashmere23 said:

I love the 21 Nights book so I'm interested in seeing what this will be like. Thanks Latin!

-

Never liked that book.

It's cheesy and kitschy.

-

Not was very fond of him as a photographer.

She's too clean and polished. Too photoshop-ish.

She somehow misses out on the rock side of popstar Prince if you ask me.

Prince looks like a bling bling glam R'nB star, that never goes to the loo.

Maybe it IS what he wante to be understood and look like.

-

Honest, i never like that era (imho of course).

Peace to those who do like it.

smile

-

[Edited 1/23/19 9:07am]

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 01/23/19 9:14am

Vannormal

avatar

TwiliteKid said:

EmmaMcG said:

TwiliteKid said: What would have to be included for you to justify spending 75 quid on a book?

We're talking about dollars, not pounds - but, next time you're in a book store, have a look at the art/photography section. This is not unusal for that sort of thing - Taschen books are often $200 or more! If they do this right, on high quality stock and binding $75 is not out of line at all.

[Edited 1/23/19 8:49am]

-

Correct.

Taschen books are know for being NOT expensive.

(They do have limited editions that are pricy. But they are VERY limited.)

They have many books on pop and rock artists and music in general.

-

I have a Andy Summers photo book of The Police on tour, costs like 30 EURO.

A big and thick David Bowie picture book, coast the same.

A thick heavy book of Andy Warhol's pictures of pop and rock and other stars, same price.

etc...

Basically all their books are absolutely affordable.

-

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 01/23/19 9:20am

NorthC

TwiliteKid said:



EmmaMcG said:


TwiliteKid said:



No, it really isn't.



What would have to be included for you to justify spending 75 quid on a book?


We're talking about dollars, not pounds - but, next time you're in a book store, have a look at the art/photography section. This is not unusal for that sort of thing - Taschen books are often $200 or more! If they do this right, on high quality stock and binding $75 is not out of line at all.

[Edited 1/23/19 8:49am]


You got that right. I once saw a Taschen book with Leni Riefenstahl's African photos for €1500. I asked if there was a cheaper version saying, I can fly up and down twice for that kinda money! (Eventually, there was a cheaper version.)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 01/23/19 9:48am

EmmaMcG

avatar

TwiliteKid said:



EmmaMcG said:


TwiliteKid said:



No, it really isn't.



What would have to be included for you to justify spending 75 quid on a book?


We're talking about dollars, not pounds - but, next time you're in a book store, have a look at the art/photography section. This is not unusal for that sort of thing - Taschen books are often $200 or more! If they do this right, on high quality stock and binding $75 is not out of line at all.

[Edited 1/23/19 8:49am]



Who said anything about pounds???
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 01/23/19 11:01am

TwiliteKid

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

TwiliteKid said:

We're talking about dollars, not pounds - but, next time you're in a book store, have a look at the art/photography section. This is not unusal for that sort of thing - Taschen books are often $200 or more! If they do this right, on high quality stock and binding $75 is not out of line at all.

[Edited 1/23/19 8:49am]

Who said anything about pounds???

Isn't quid slang for pounds?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 01/23/19 11:20am

EmmaMcG

avatar

TwiliteKid said:



EmmaMcG said:


TwiliteKid said:



We're talking about dollars, not pounds - but, next time you're in a book store, have a look at the art/photography section. This is not unusal for that sort of thing - Taschen books are often $200 or more! If they do this right, on high quality stock and binding $75 is not out of line at all.


[Edited 1/23/19 8:49am]



Who said anything about pounds???


Isn't quid slang for pounds?



Not in Ireland it isn't. We don't use pounds.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 01/23/19 11:58am

dodger

EmmaMcG said:

TwiliteKid said:



EmmaMcG said:


TwiliteKid said:



We're talking about dollars, not pounds - but, next time you're in a book store, have a look at the art/photography section. This is not unusal for that sort of thing - Taschen books are often $200 or more! If they do this right, on high quality stock and binding $75 is not out of line at all.


[Edited 1/23/19 8:49am]



Who said anything about pounds???


Isn't quid slang for pounds?



Not in Ireland it isn't. We don't use pounds.


I didn’t know you called euros ‘quid’ in Ireland so I can see why the kid thought that
[Edited 1/23/19 11:58am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 01/23/19 12:38pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

TwiliteKid said:

Isn't quid slang for pounds?

Not in Ireland it isn't. We don't use pounds.

You don't use dollars either. Are you trying to be difficult? The point is that $75 price tag will be adjusted for pounds/euros/insert currency here.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 01/23/19 12:48pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

TwiliteKid said:



EmmaMcG said:


TwiliteKid said:



Isn't quid slang for pounds?



Not in Ireland it isn't. We don't use pounds.


You don't use dollars either. Are you trying to be difficult? The point is that $75 price tag will be adjusted for pounds/euros/insert currency here.





You're asking if I'm trying to be difficult yet you were the one who started talking to me. No, I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm pointing out that spending 75 dollars, which equals about 65 euro if you do a direct translation, although in Ireland we generally have to pay more for everything so if its 75 dollars, chances are shops here will charge 75 euro, is insane. It's essentially going to be a book of photographs of Prince. 75 dollars/euro/pound/whatever is a ridiculous asking price for what's on offer. Even if it's more than just pictures, the price is crazy. Like, seriously, what do people get out of looking at pictures of Prince? And even if you do get something out of it, there's thousands of pictures of him online. Print them out and put them in a scrapbook. Save yourself some cash.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 01/23/19 1:07pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

TwiliteKid said:

You don't use dollars either. Are you trying to be difficult? The point is that $75 price tag will be adjusted for pounds/euros/insert currency here.

You're asking if I'm trying to be difficult yet you were the one who started talking to me. No, I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm pointing out that spending 75 dollars, which equals about 65 euro if you do a direct translation, although in Ireland we generally have to pay more for everything so if its 75 dollars, chances are shops here will charge 75 euro, is insane. It's essentially going to be a book of photographs of Prince. 75 dollars/euro/pound/whatever is a ridiculous asking price for what's on offer. Even if it's more than just pictures, the price is crazy. Like, seriously, what do people get out of looking at pictures of Prince? And even if you do get something out of it, there's thousands of pictures of him online. Print them out and put them in a scrapbook. Save yourself some cash.

You posted in a discussion forum and received a response. Imagine that.

Your personal feelings about the need for/value of this sort of thing don't really matter (truth be told, I'm not one for looking at photos of Prince either) - but your intial statement was that the price was insane. I was simply trying to offer some perspective by pointing out that many art/photography books are close to, if not more, expensive.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 01/23/19 1:57pm

NorthC

^And better quality than a home made print. Whether or not that justifies a price of €75 is for everyone to decide by him or herself. As for me, I think it's too much. The Indigo Nights book was something like €50 when it came out. Eventually I got it for €8 and I've seen it even cheaper. So the key word is patience.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 01/23/19 2:22pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

TwiliteKid said:



EmmaMcG said:


TwiliteKid said:



You don't use dollars either. Are you trying to be difficult? The point is that $75 price tag will be adjusted for pounds/euros/insert currency here.





You're asking if I'm trying to be difficult yet you were the one who started talking to me. No, I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm pointing out that spending 75 dollars, which equals about 65 euro if you do a direct translation, although in Ireland we generally have to pay more for everything so if its 75 dollars, chances are shops here will charge 75 euro, is insane. It's essentially going to be a book of photographs of Prince. 75 dollars/euro/pound/whatever is a ridiculous asking price for what's on offer. Even if it's more than just pictures, the price is crazy. Like, seriously, what do people get out of looking at pictures of Prince? And even if you do get something out of it, there's thousands of pictures of him online. Print them out and put them in a scrapbook. Save yourself some cash.


You posted in a discussion forum and received a response. Imagine that.



Your personal feelings about the need for/value of this sort of thing don't really matter (truth be told, I'm not one for looking at photos of Prince either) - but your intial statement was that the price was insane. I was simply trying to offer some perspective by pointing out that many art/photography books are close to, if not more, expensive.



I don't have a problem with you replying to me. In fact, I welcome it. But I don't like being accused of "trying to be difficult" for pointing out that 75 dollars is too much to pay for a bunch of photographs. Whether they be artfully shot or not.

And you're right, other art books are similarly expensive. But I don't see this particular book being so expensive if Prince was still alive. They are clearly taking advantage of his fans by pricing it so high.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 01/23/19 2:48pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

Pre-ordered & ready............giggle

"4 all of us, life is death without adventure,& adventure only comes 2 those who are willing 2 b daring & take chances."prince 1985
Well, eye can't b played a person tryna play me, plays themselves prince 1998
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 01/23/19 3:17pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

ChocolateBox3121 said:

Pre-ordered & ready.......giggle



I would have put good money on that. razz
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 01/23/19 3:37pm

NorthC

EmmaMcG said:

ChocolateBox3121 said:

Pre-ordered & ready.......giggle



I would have put good money on that. razz

If you'd put $75 on it, you'd have a book for free! wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 01/23/19 3:41pm

Cinny

avatar

You guys are gagging over the price, but I just bought Norman Seeff's (huge) coffee table photography book of all Joni Mitchell. The List Price is also $75.00 but it is on sale for $46 currently on Amazon.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 01/24/19 2:00am

EmmaMcG

avatar

NorthC said:

EmmaMcG said:



I would have put good money on that. razz

If you'd put $75 on it, you'd have a book for free! wink


Damn! Good thinking. biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 01/24/19 3:07am

dodger

EmmaMcG said:

TwiliteKid said:

You don't use dollars either. Are you trying to be difficult? The point is that $75 price tag will be adjusted for pounds/euros/insert currency here.

You're asking if I'm trying to be difficult yet you were the one who started talking to me. No, I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm pointing out that spending 75 dollars, which equals about 65 euro if you do a direct translation, although in Ireland we generally have to pay more for everything so if its 75 dollars, chances are shops here will charge 75 euro, is insane. It's essentially going to be a book of photographs of Prince. 75 dollars/euro/pound/whatever is a ridiculous asking price for what's on offer. Even if it's more than just pictures, the price is crazy. Like, seriously, what do people get out of looking at pictures of Prince? And even if you do get something out of it, there's thousands of pictures of him online. Print them out and put them in a scrapbook. Save yourself some cash.

lol lol lol !

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 01/24/19 6:42am

iZsaZsa

avatar

dodger said:

EmmaMcG said:

TwiliteKid said: You're asking if I'm trying to be difficult yet you were the one who started talking to me. No, I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm pointing out that spending 75 dollars, which equals about 65 euro if you do a direct translation, although in Ireland we generally have to pay more for everything so if its 75 dollars, chances are shops here will charge 75 euro, is insane. It's essentially going to be a book of photographs of Prince. 75 dollars/euro/pound/whatever is a ridiculous asking price for what's on offer. Even if it's more than just pictures, the price is crazy. Like, seriously, what do people get out of looking at pictures of Prince? And even if you do get something out of it, there's thousands of pictures of him online. Print them out and put them in a scrapbook. Save yourself some cash.

lol lol lol !

lol That's much better than filling up one laptop after another!

What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 01/24/19 7:05am

oceanblue

EmmaMcG said:

TwiliteKid said:

You don't use dollars either. Are you trying to be difficult? The point is that $75 price tag will be adjusted for pounds/euros/insert currency here.

You're asking if I'm trying to be difficult yet you were the one who started talking to me. No, I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm pointing out that spending 75 dollars, which equals about 65 euro if you do a direct translation, although in Ireland we generally have to pay more for everything so if its 75 dollars, chances are shops here will charge 75 euro, is insane. It's essentially going to be a book of photographs of Prince. 75 dollars/euro/pound/whatever is a ridiculous asking price for what's on offer. Even if it's more than just pictures, the price is crazy. Like, seriously, what do people get out of looking at pictures of Prince? And even if you do get something out of it, there's thousands of pictures of him online. Print them out and put them in a scrapbook. Save yourself some cash.

I could not agree more! There are already tons of photos of Prince out there, I myself have books, DVDs, videos, magazines, etc! What you said makes great common sense.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 01/24/19 7:37am

dodger

iZsaZsa said:

dodger said:

lol lol lol !

lol That's much better than filling up one laptop after another!

No doubt. I used to love scrapbooks. I was a master with a Pritt-Stick

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 01/24/19 10:53am

KoolEaze

avatar

Cinny said:

You guys are gagging over the price, but I just bought Norman Seeff's (huge) coffee table photography book of all Joni Mitchell. The List Price is also $75.00 but it is on sale for $46 currently on Amazon.

I think 75$ could be a fair price if the size and quality of the book is good but keep in mind that Afshin Shahidi´s , Allen Beaulieu´s and Steve Parke´s books all cost less than 30 $ so there´s that.

And they are great books for what they are, especially Allen´s book.

So we just have to wait and see if Randee´s book is worth 75 $.

I´ve bought books that cost more but they were really huge coffetable books.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 01/24/19 5:09pm

sirweasel

I have worked with Randee and she is a sweet lady. She truly misses him and it's not about money with her.....if Prince released you sheep would eat it up

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 01/24/19 5:33pm

onlyforaminute

sirweasel said:

I have worked with Randee and she is a sweet lady. She truly misses him and it's not about money with her.....if Prince released you sheep would eat it up



You're new around here, huh?

Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.

-Ralph Ellison
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 01/24/19 7:42pm

purplemist7777

I look forward to this book. She was with him starting around 1992 and worked on and off until at least 2007 so a lot of different eras could be covered. She has been an A List photographer for years (Britney Spears, Carrie Underwood, Whitney) so maybe that is why cost is higher? I hope she includes more behind the scenes/candids and stories about P.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 01/24/19 7:58pm

0uterageous

i rather spend $$ on either 50 pgs of memoir or official release of any of P&M shows

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 01/25/19 5:03pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

sirweasel said:

I have worked with Randee and she is a sweet lady. She truly misses him and it's not about money with her.....if Prince released you sheep would eat it up


Calm down, Beyonce. No one is saying Randee isn't a great gal. We have no reason to believe otherwise. But $75 is a lot for a damn photo book, I don't care who's putting it together or what's in it. Any artist can't price themselves right out of a market or try to bilk fans from twice what comparable books have been priced at (even autographed copies).

You've been on the Org for 13 years and you've forgotten that Prince has released plenty and fans here had more than enough to say about it (read: Crystal Ball 5-CD set, BRR jackets, NPGMC releases).

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 01/25/19 5:50pm

iZsaZsa

avatar

This thread is cracking me up. Now there is a weasel named Beyonce on here calling fans sheep. lol

What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New book: My Name Is Prince by Randee St. Nicholas - 10-15-19