independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 23rd Oct 2019 6:39am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Am I alone in feeling completely numb about Prince's passing?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 10/16/18 9:23am

1Sasha

As for Michael: I thought he had his own going off the deep end moment years before he died, when he started having the plastic surgery and lightening his skin. For Prince, that moment was when he started the slave period. After that, neither one was the same.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 10/16/18 9:49am

ufoclub

avatar

1Sasha said:

As for Michael: I thought he had his own going off the deep end moment years before he died, when he started having the plastic surgery and lightening his skin. For Prince, that moment was when he started the slave period. After that, neither one was the same.

uh... you know the truth about the skin lightening don't you? Even the autopsy confirmed the condition he had, and he had two ways to try to blend the patches with makeup. He might have chosen the easier way.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 10/16/18 10:06am

Genesia

avatar

bonatoc said:

skywalker said:

I feel this way: The Prince we know and love wasn't the real human guy.

Most of us know and love the persona, the art, the music. All of that is still very much alive.

-

It is well documented that Prince's poured his true self (thoughts/feelings/insecurities/humor) into his music and lyrics. The end result? I feel very grateful that Prince crafted his art in such a way that we can still have him when he's in "the afterworld." Especially considering how much of it we have yet to hear. Selfish as it may sound, we are still getting an album of new Prince music every year or so.

-

Bottom line: If you ever want Prince, just push the play button. You'll always find him in the music.


And it's pretty close to a damn miracle.
Like the Mountains video is actually a thing.

I have to start a thread on minnesotan "stars". What is it with them? Where does the insane work ethic come from?
Charles M. Schulz, Robert Zimmerman and Prince Rogers Nelson all have in common to produce like maniacs, and to pour a lot of their personal experiences into their art, making it more than mere entertainment. Through biography comes reflection. You could say that all art bends that way, but that's not true. These three are self-psychoanalysts. They go deep. They do not shy away from feelings of boredomness, jealousy, envy, desire, all things usually put on the periphery by the entertainment industry. They put out and on a lot of masks, and then they deconstruct them one by one.

What is it with this state?



It isn't just Minnesota - that kind of work ethic can be found all over the US midwest. It's because we are only a few generations removed from people who came here and worked like dogs to build good lives from nothing.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 10/16/18 10:54am

purplefam99

Genesia said:

bonatoc said:


And it's pretty close to a damn miracle.
Like the Mountains video is actually a thing.

I have to start a thread on minnesotan "stars". What is it with them? Where does the insane work ethic come from?
Charles M. Schulz, Robert Zimmerman and Prince Rogers Nelson all have in common to produce like maniacs, and to pour a lot of their personal experiences into their art, making it more than mere entertainment. Through biography comes reflection. You could say that all art bends that way, but that's not true. These three are self-psychoanalysts. They go deep. They do not shy away from feelings of boredomness, jealousy, envy, desire, all things usually put on the periphery by the entertainment industry. They put out and on a lot of masks, and then they deconstruct them one by one.

What is it with this state?



It isn't just Minnesota - that kind of work ethic can be found all over the US midwest. It's because we are only a few generations removed from people who came here and worked like dogs to build good lives from nothing.

it is so true, and they way they maintain their farmhouses and land is a work of art.

it really is something the general air of most people in their day to day task is to treat

the work as a priviledge and therefore elevate it to something more like precious work. i can only

liken this work ethic to the Mexican American. i have gone into lowly destitute taco shacks

and passed thru the imaculately clean organized kitchen to arrive at a bathroom so old and almost a lean-to

to find it spotlessly clean and fresh, a jewel almost. the pride and care with which something is

made beautiful out of nothing. i remember one time saying to my mother the fridge is empty

she looked at me and said " i don't ever want to hear you say that again" to her it was overflowing

with bounty, i won't bother describing the poverty from which she came. but it was just the way

for her she always knew how to take meager scraps and make them into something. something

out of nothing, yes the midwest is chock full of it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 10/16/18 11:18am

peggyon

purplefam99 said:

Genesia said:


It isn't just Minnesota - that kind of work ethic can be found all over the US midwest. It's because we are only a few generations removed from people who came here and worked like dogs to build good lives from nothing.

it is so true, and they way they maintain their farmhouses and land is a work of art.

it really is something the general air of most people in their day to day task is to treat

the work as a priviledge and therefore elevate it to something more like precious work. i can only

liken this work ethic to the Mexican American. i have gone into lowly destitute taco shacks

and passed thru the imaculately clean organized kitchen to arrive at a bathroom so old and almost a lean-to

to find it spotlessly clean and fresh, a jewel almost. the pride and care with which something is

made beautiful out of nothing. i remember one time saying to my mother the fridge is empty

she looked at me and said " i don't ever want to hear you say that again" to her it was overflowing

with bounty, i won't bother describing the poverty from which she came. but it was just the way

for her she always knew how to take meager scraps and make them into something. something

out of nothing, yes the midwest is chock full of it.

Minnesotans and many midwesterners are the nicest, most decent of the US. Prince knew he would be treated well by them.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 10/16/18 12:23pm

PeteSilas

ufoclub said:

1Sasha said:

As for Michael: I thought he had his own going off the deep end moment years before he died, when he started having the plastic surgery and lightening his skin. For Prince, that moment was when he started the slave period. After that, neither one was the same.

uh... you know the truth about the skin lightening don't you? Even the autopsy confirmed the condition he had, and he had two ways to try to blend the patches with makeup. He might have chosen the easier way.

I heard that it could have been overuse of the creams that caused vitiligo in the first place. he was lightening his skin pretty early on and europeanizing his face by the thriller era. So, i'm not totally sold on the "he had vitiligo" could be but I'm not sold on it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 10/16/18 12:25pm

PeteSilas

Mikado said:

I can only speak for myself, but with Michael Jackson there was that element of tragedy and lost opportunity. Dude had an awful, abusive childhood (Prince's wasn't a cakewalk either, but it wasn't like Mike's), never really made meaningful connections with people his own age, never loved (or indeed made love) a woman, and then had his life torn apart over quite obviously BS allegations.


And then - just as he was ready to reclaim his former glory - he died. I don't think Prince, who had accomplished a lot of what he wanted, can compare to that level of tragedy, and so his death is a bit more quaint, though still sad.


Michael Jackson was also one of the most famous people to ever live, where as Prince was a but more down to earth and seemed like a real person.

i'm sure mj tried pussy, I'm sure even Liberace tried pussy, if it's that available you could be the gayest guy in the world, you're gonna meet someone who clicks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 10/16/18 4:10pm

ufoclub

avatar

PeteSilas said:

ufoclub said:

uh... you know the truth about the skin lightening don't you? Even the autopsy confirmed the condition he had, and he had two ways to try to blend the patches with makeup. He might have chosen the easier way.

I heard that it could have been overuse of the creams that caused vitiligo in the first place. he was lightening his skin pretty early on and europeanizing his face by the thriller era. So, i'm not totally sold on the "he had vitiligo" could be but I'm not sold on it.

No one ever claimed you were wise or needed to be sold! wink

"Did Michael Jackson have vitiligo?

After his death, his autopsy report stated that there were “patches of light and dark pigmented areas” on examination of his skin, and vitiligo was listed as a diagnosis in his medical history. In addition, a tube of Benoquin 20% cream was noted among his medications, revealing that he did use this FDA-approved treatment for vitiligo. He also had a tube of BQ/KA/RA (Benoquin 8%, Kojic acid 1%, and retinoic acid 0.025%), another effective formulation for Benoquin, as well as hydroquinone 8% lotion (which would help to lighten any remaining pigment), and UVA Anthelios XL sunscreen, a good idea for anyone with vitiligo, especially if they had depigmented their skin. Microscopic examination of his skin revealed a lack of pigment and reduced number of melanocytes, which is most consistent with vitiligo, with or without the use of Benoquin, and vitiligo was the official diagnosis on the report.

Rare photos of him when his skin was exposed appear to show his depigmented skin, and one (above) shows his largely depigmented arms with some remaining spots of pigment.

So there is no question that Michael Jackson had vitiligo, by his own admission and according to his autopsy after his death. He did appear to use Benoquin to help depigment his skin, but not because he “wanted to be white”, but as an FDA-approved treatment for his vitiligo."

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 10/16/18 5:01pm

PeteSilas

NOT looking for your endorsement. Neither of us are doctors but when people who are doctors say that using skin bleaching can create vitiligo gone awry I think they could be right. Add in mj s color issues and the surgeries I'm just not sold on mj using the creams to even out the skin he could have created the condition from overuse.goddamn spellcheck supposed to make you look smarter than you are and it makes me look like a fucking moron.

PeteSilas said:




ufoclub said:




uh... you know the truth about the skin lightening don't you? Even the autopsy confirmed the condition he had, and he had two ways to try to blend the patches with makeup. He might have chosen the easier way.



I heard that it could have been overuse of the creams that caused vitiligo in the first place. he was lightening his skin pretty early on and europeanizing his face by the thriller era. So, i'm not totally sold on the "he had vitiligo" could be but I'm not sold on it.




No one ever claimed you were wise or needed to be sold! wink



"Did Michael Jackson have vitiligo?

After his death, his autopsy report stated that there were “patches of light and dark pigmented areas” on examination of his skin, and vitiligo was listed as a diagnosis in his medical history. In addition, a tube of Benoquin 20% cream was noted among his medications, revealing that he did use this FDA-approved treatment for vitiligo. He also had a tube of BQ/KA/RA (Benoquin 8%, Kojic acid 1%, and retinoic acid 0.025%), another effective formulation for Benoquin, as well as hydroquinone 8% lotion (which would help to lighten any remaining pigment), and UVA Anthelios XL sunscreen, a good idea for anyone with vitiligo, especially if they had depigmented their skin. Microscopic examination of his skin revealed a lack of pigment and reduced number of melanocytes, which is most consistent with vitiligo, with or without the use of Benoquin, and vitiligo was the official diagnosis on the report.

Rare photos of him when his skin was exposed appear to show his depigmented skin, and one (above) shows his largely depigmented arms with some remaining spots of pigment.

So there is no question that Michael Jackson had vitiligo, by his own admission and according to his autopsy after his death. He did appear to use Benoquin to help depigment his skin, but not because he “wanted to be white”, but as an FDA-approved treatment for his vitiligo."

[/quote]
[Edited 10/16/18 20:24pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 10/16/18 6:06pm

XxAxX

avatar

for me news of his passing was like a sucker punch to the heart. after a moment of disbelief it instantly hurt and still does if i dwell on it. even though i was never lucky enough to meet Prince i still felt a kind of connection to him personally through the digital world of prince.org.

this is where we all collectively got the breaking news about his projects and as it turns out Prince actually used to post here at prince.org. so there was a kind of 'personal contact' even if we never knew which orger he was. so i guess i don't join you in your "numb about Prince's passing" thing

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Am I alone in feeling completely numb about Prince's passing?