independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 20th Aug 2019 5:48am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > If a will was made & then destroyed who has actually benefited?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/19/18 6:42am

PURPLEIZED3121

If a will was made & then destroyed who has actually benefited?

Let's assume that the truth was spoken by Mani & Mayte ie that he had a will, lets also assume that that will has actually been destroyed as per the rumour. As of now I can't see who has benefitted financially apart from the Lawyers? The estate / heirs seem broke, associated artists are leeching off so called legacy tours [WTAF!], record companies I dont think are exactly breaking financial records with sales etc.

Therefore can anyone enlighten me - as I cant see anyone benefitting from a supposed destroyed

will !

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/19/18 7:34am

RJOrion

federal Government, Minnesota State government, and lawyers all benefit ... heirs & family members get screwed, and remain unpaid

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/19/18 7:59am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

associated artists are leeching off so called legacy tours

.

Sheesh. You lot and all those imaginary mountains of gold. The Revolution are lucky to break even, as they've stated, and five seconds of thinking would give you the same conclusion. You obviously have nil knowledge of the costs involved in touring on their scale, yet here you are flinging wild accustations, based on shit you made up.

.

This is now the second time in about an hour or so that I've seen you post something you've completely made up. Perhaps you should stop posting and start reading.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/19/18 8:06am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

Even if there was a will we wouldn't be in a very different place than what we are today. The estate would still be in probate. Don't forget that the heirs were ruled to be the siblings quite some time ago now. All a will would have done was to avoid that initial period of determining the rightful heirs.

These things take time. Not long after Prince died, both my parents died within a short time of each other. They had a house and that was about it. Probate process still took about 5 months. So when I consider Prince's estate and all that it entails, it's hardly surprising that things are still being worked out.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/19/18 8:19am

PacManPlus

TheEnglishGent said:

Even if there was a will we wouldn't be in a very different place than what we are today. The estate would still be in probate. Don't forget that the heirs were ruled to be the siblings quite some time ago now. All a will would have done was to avoid that initial period of determining the rightful heirs.

These things take time. Not long after Prince died, both my parents died within a short time of each other. They had a house and that was about it. Probate process still took about 5 months. So when I consider Prince's estate and all that it entails, it's hardly surprising that things are still being worked out.



My condolences. sad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/19/18 8:40am

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar



M1 and M2 were only wishing a will would be found with their names in it. lol

Seriously though, they both said the wills were handwritten.

These wills were probably not legal documents.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/19/18 9:20am

coldasice

If a will was destroyed the only people to benefit would be a heir that was not named in it. If he’d have wanted a will he woulda had one. I believe it was more of a “Let the Universe” figure it out type of thing. Remember that opening line on Cause and Effect.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/19/18 10:47am

IstenSzek

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

associated artists are leeching off so called legacy tours

.

Sheesh. You lot and all those imaginary mountains of gold. The Revolution are lucky to break even, as they've stated, and five seconds of thinking would give you the same conclusion. You obviously have nil knowledge of the costs involved in touring on their scale, yet here you are flinging wild accustations, based on shit you made up.

.

This is now the second time in about an hour or so that I've seen you post something you've completely made up. Perhaps you should stop posting and start reading.


and besides that, are they not allowed to make a few dollars? they actually perform for the people
who pay for a ticket so what's the harm in that. that's hardly leeching imo.

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/19/18 11:27am

Wlcm2thdwn3

avatar

coldasice said:

If a will was destroyed the only people to benefit would be a heir that was not named in it. If he’d have wanted a will he woulda had one. I believe it was more of a “Let the Universe” figure it out type of thing. Remember that opening line on Cause and Effect.

I think that too! FACE DOWN

How long do u wanna be loved? Is forever enough, is forever enough?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/20/18 12:52am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

coldasice said:

If a will was destroyed the only people to benefit would be a heir that was not named in it. If he’d have wanted a will he woulda had one. I believe it was more of a “Let the Universe” figure it out type of thing. Remember that opening line on Cause and Effect.

"I am here, where are you"?

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/20/18 5:54am

PURPLEIZED3121

BartVanHemelen said:

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

associated artists are leeching off so called legacy tours

.

Sheesh. You lot and all those imaginary mountains of gold. The Revolution are lucky to break even, as they've stated, and five seconds of thinking would give you the same conclusion. You obviously have nil knowledge of the costs involved in touring on their scale, yet here you are flinging wild accustations, based on shit you made up.

.

This is now the second time in about an hour or so that I've seen you post something you've completely made up. Perhaps you should stop posting and start reading.

your reply is surprisingly tame compared your usual rantings...therefore I feel quite honoured!

Also thanks for keeping tabs on my posts!

FYI...Perfectly well aware of running costs etc however it would be churlish to deny that largely bit part players such as Tony M, Ingrid Chavez & that Ex from the Lovesexy period are milking this...likewise lets not deny that The Revolution & The NPG would likely NOT have reformed had it not been for his passing. Anyway...lets not debate this point as it has been done to death & we can't rewind their clocks!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/20/18 5:56am

PURPLEIZED3121

RJOrion said:

federal Government, Minnesota State government, and lawyers all benefit ... heirs & family members get screwed, and remain unpaid

see that's the point. If 'someone' had destroyed it on purpose then curently i can't see how they would have benefitted apart from Fed Gov't , lawyers etc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/20/18 6:32am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

If there was a current will then 2 people would have known about it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/20/18 6:38am

rdhull

avatar

"leeching"?

You're not good at this. Log off.

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/20/18 8:02am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" razz

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/20/18 8:08am

connorhawke

avatar

If a tree falls in a forest and lands on a mime, killing him instantly, does anybody care?

"...and If all of this Love Talk ends with Prince getting married to someone other than me, all I would like to do is give Prince a life size Purple Fabric Cloud Guitar that I made from a vintage bedspread that I used as a Christmas Tree Skirt." Tame, Feb
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/20/18 1:20pm

Roby78

I do not know in America but in Italy if one wants to make will need a lawyer, two witnesses and a notary. The notary records the will through the court (if it is not registered it is not worth) so if one dies there is a will and can not be destroyed by anyone, unless the pesona who makes will not decide to cancel it at that point it turns out there is no more will.

As I said before I do not know how it works in America

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/20/18 1:42pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

The lawyers...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/20/18 2:31pm

Genesia

avatar

The U.S. Treasury

Actually, though - what Prince really needed to avoid the Tax Man was a trust, not a will. But what if he thought he'd rather the lawyers and the gubmint get it than his "heirs"?



[Edited 9/20/18 14:47pm]

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/20/18 3:23pm

Camileyun

I don't believe there was a will, much less, that it was destroyed. More than likely, the people that would know about a will, or actually found a will, we're probably not the people in it or in a position to inherit anything if it was destroyed. Aretha died intestate, with four sons, one of which is special-needs and will require financial assistance the rest of his life. Her lawyer of 30 years said he tried to convince her that "she should do not only a will but a trust while she was still alive". He said she never said she did not want to do one, that she understood the need, but "it just didn't seem to be something she got around to". He said she was a private person and would not have wanted her finances publically aired. A 2017 Caring.com survey revealed that less than half (42%) of US adults currently have estate planning documents, such as a will or living trust,36% for those with children under 18. 47% of survey respondents without estate documents said "I just haven't gotten around to it." P was a busy guy, didn't have a wife or kids, and, like Aretha, probably wouldn't want his finances aired either. I just believe it was not a priority for him and he just never got around to it.
[Edited 9/20/18 15:24pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/20/18 3:28pm

luvsexy4all

why wouldnt prince have thought that someone could actually create a fake will after he was dead????

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/20/18 3:30pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Roby78 said:

I do not know in America but in Italy if one wants to make will need a lawyer, two witnesses and a notary. The notary records the will through the court (if it is not registered it is not worth) so if one dies there is a will and can not be destroyed by anyone, unless the pesona who makes will not decide to cancel it at that point it turns out there is no more will.

As I said before I do not know how it works in America

in Minnesota, it requires the person and 2 witnesses. Not necessarily a lawyer nor a notary.

Also, a plain Notary in the US can not practice law or give any legal advice or even recommend any forms to be used. They can offer forms but they can not give any opinion. In fact, it is a violation to even use the Spanish translation as that implies legal services.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/20/18 3:53pm

42Kristen

Nobody beatdeadhorse

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 09/20/18 3:56pm

luvsexy4all

purplethunder3121 said:

The lawyers...

but THEY"RE benefiting NOW

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 09/20/18 9:30pm

thedoorkeeper

You are making the assumption that the will was destroyed by someone for personal gain.
Perhaps the will was destroyed before Prince passed away.
Perhaps Prince destroyed them himself.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 09/21/18 10:59am

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

Do you even need to ask? Bleedin' obvious! WB and whoever else holds his musical rights of course! Can now do what they like with the vault, with no obstructions from Prince. Can even use it for advertising and release songs he would never have sanctioned in his lifetime (Cold coffee and cocaine? We can Fuck??) which they are clearly already doing.

Seems a bit convenient to me that in 2014 he makes a deal with Warner but they find him difficult as he won't allow vault material. A couple of years later boom he's dead in mysterious circumstances (the bungled investigation was an exercise in inepitude) and conveniently intestate (without a will for the rest of you).

The path is now clear to do whatever they want and cash in on the vault for aeons.

[Edited 9/21/18 11:02am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 09/21/18 11:05am

luvsexy4all

TheFreakerFantastic said:

Do you even need to ask? Bleedin' obvious! WB and whoever else holds his musical rights of course! Can now do what they like with the vault, with no obstructions from Prince. Can even use it for advertising and release songs he would never have sanctioned in his lifetime (Cold coffee and cocaine? We can Fuck??) which they are clearly already doing.

Seems a bit convenient to me that in 2014 he makes a deal with Warner but they find him difficult as he won't allow vault material. A couple of years later boom he's dead in mysterious circumstances (the bungled investigation was an exercise in inepitude) and conveniently intestate (without a will for the rest of you).

The path is now clear to do whatever they want and cash in on the vault for aeons.

[Edited 9/21/18 11:02am]

its not a coincidence

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 09/21/18 3:03pm

peggyon

Camileyun said:

I don't believe there was a will, much less, that it was destroyed. More than likely, the people that would know about a will, or actually found a will, we're probably not the people in it or in a position to inherit anything if it was destroyed. Aretha died intestate, with four sons, one of which is special-needs and will require financial assistance the rest of his life. Her lawyer of 30 years said he tried to convince her that "she should do not only a will but a trust while she was still alive". He said she never said she did not want to do one, that she understood the need, but "it just didn't seem to be something she got around to". He said she was a private person and would not have wanted her finances publically aired. A 2017 Caring.com survey revealed that less than half (42%) of US adults currently have estate planning documents, such as a will or living trust,36% for those with children under 18. 47% of survey respondents without estate documents said "I just haven't gotten around to it." P was a busy guy, didn't have a wife or kids, and, like Aretha, probably wouldn't want his finances aired either. I just believe it was not a priority for him and he just never got around to it. [Edited 9/20/18 15:24pm]

He may have trusted an entity like Comerica over his siblings.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 09/21/18 5:41pm

Camileyun

peggyon said:



Camileyun said:


I don't believe there was a will, much less, that it was destroyed. More than likely, the people that would know about a will, or actually found a will, we're probably not the people in it or in a position to inherit anything if it was destroyed. Aretha died intestate, with four sons, one of which is special-needs and will require financial assistance the rest of his life. Her lawyer of 30 years said he tried to convince her that "she should do not only a will but a trust while she was still alive". He said she never said she did not want to do one, that she understood the need, but "it just didn't seem to be something she got around to". He said she was a private person and would not have wanted her finances publically aired. A 2017 Caring.com survey revealed that less than half (42%) of US adults currently have estate planning documents, such as a will or living trust,36% for those with children under 18. 47% of survey respondents without estate documents said "I just haven't gotten around to it." P was a busy guy, didn't have a wife or kids, and, like Aretha, probably wouldn't want his finances aired either. I just believe it was not a priority for him and he just never got around to it. [Edited 9/20/18 15:24pm]




He may have trusted an entity like Comerica over his siblings.




Good point...No matter what he would have put in a will, he may have felt they would have contested it anyway, so why bother. After seeing them in action the last couple years, he was probably right.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > If a will was made & then destroyed who has actually benefited?