independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 7th Dec 2019 3:40am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New Rolling Stone Review - PRINCE'S ‘Anthology: 1995 – 2010’ Shows Years of Genius Hiding in Plain Sight
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/21/18 7:12pm

Latin

New Rolling Stone Review - PRINCE'S ‘Anthology: 1995 – 2010’ Shows Years of Genius Hiding in Plain Sight

Today, Rolling Stone published the following album review entitled "Review: Prince’s ‘Anthology: 1995 – 2010’ Shows Years of Genius Hiding in Plain Sight":

"A new compilation shows that even with his biggest hits behind him, Prince could still stun you with his genius."

Here it is:

https://www.rollingstone....ht-714147/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/21/18 7:55pm

pinkcashmere23

Good article. Thanks!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/21/18 8:51pm

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

I honestly had no intention of speaking on this because for the most part of the that time period...I was personally, financially, contributing directly to Prince. Meaning I have most of this material already. So, right now, all the algorithms and such, that's causing ads for this project, to appear on every damn website I go to...is seriously pissing me the fuck off!

Here's what bothers ME:

Prince died of an overdose of the drug Fentanyl. Of which, it is very highly fucking likely that he never even knew he'd taken.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/21/18 9:45pm

SkipperLove

Why? I am happy for his legacy and hope it keeps coming but there is a part of me that feels bad for the man himself because he didn't get accolades like that when he was alive..

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

I honestly had no intention of speaking on this because for the most part of the that time period...I was personally, financially, contributing directly to Prince. Meaning I have most of this material already. So, right now, all the algorithms and such, that's causing ads for this project, to appear on every damn website I go to...is seriously pissing me the fuck off!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/21/18 9:50pm

SkipperLove

I made my own playlist today on my Tidal account. It had 54 songs, some the same as the anthology,, some different. RS gave the anthology 4 out of 5; maybe due to my ego, I keep thinking a 5 star review would be more likely if the makers of the anthology had consulted people like me..LOL. Anyhow, 4 out of 5 is really good considering they left off more beloved later day songs and included some odd choices (IMO)

Latin said:

Today, Rolling Stone published the following album review entitled "Review: Prince’s ‘Anthology: 1995 – 2010’ Shows Years of Genius Hiding in Plain Sight": "A new compilation shows that even with his biggest hits behind him, Prince could still stun you with his genius." Here it is: https://www.rollingstone....ht-714147/

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/21/18 11:59pm

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

SkipperLove said:

Why? I am happy for his legacy and hope it keeps coming but there is a part of me that feels bad for the man himself because he didn't get accolades like that when he was alive..

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

I honestly had no intention of speaking on this because for the most part of the that time period...I was personally, financially, contributing directly to Prince. Meaning I have most of this material already. So, right now, all the algorithms and such, that's causing ads for this project, to appear on every damn website I go to...is seriously pissing me the fuck off!

Because people like me did give the man himself his accolades when he was alive. We were the ones that bought his music and filled the seats when performed it without the backing of the mega corporate multimedia marketing arm using...algorithms and such, that's causing ads for this project, to appear on every damn website I go to!

Here's what bothers ME:

Prince died of an overdose of the drug Fentanyl. Of which, it is very highly fucking likely that he never even knew he'd taken.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/22/18 12:38am

Lovejunky

avatar

Latin said:

Today, Rolling Stone published the following album review entitled "Review: Prince’s ‘Anthology: 1995 – 2010’ Shows Years of Genius Hiding in Plain Sight": "A new compilation shows that even with his biggest hits behind him, Prince could still stun you with his genius." Here it is: https://www.rollingstone....ht-714147/

Great News...

Articles like this encoaurage the uninitiated to dive deep..

and once you get to a certain depth you just want to go deeper....

Genius hiding in plain sight...

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/22/18 12:39am

SimonCharles

avatar

Latin said:

Today, Rolling Stone published the following album review entitled "Review: Prince’s ‘Anthology: 1995 – 2010’ Shows Years of Genius Hiding in Plain Sight": "A new compilation shows that even with his biggest hits behind him, Prince could still stun you with his genius." Here it is: https://www.rollingstone....ht-714147/

This is nice and all...but it does irk me that this kind of gushing occurs after he'd dead. When alive, this music was, largely, dismissed as so so. Curious. You can tell this is retrospective and that they aren't paying that much attention because they call the song "Dream" and that they haven't properly listened - imho - because they fail to mention The Love We Make, Dream Factory and/or Beautiful Strange. For some reason, can't quite pinpoint why at the moment, this absence of comment I find frustrating.

Anyway...on with the day. Thanks for the link, Latin: as ever, you are a true servant to the cause and I much appreciate your time and dedication.

[Edited 8/22/18 0:39am]

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/22/18 3:26am

SkipperLove

The critics probably listened as closely as they did when he was alive. I imagine critics rush through their listening and viewing experiences so they can do the review and hit a deadline. This time the critics had to listen to over 30 songs. Good reviews are good reviews, whether they are geniune or not. Its only harmful to the artist when they give bad reviews based on bias against a person or laziness on the part of the critic.

SimonCharles said:

Latin said:

Today, Rolling Stone published the following album review entitled "Review: Prince’s ‘Anthology: 1995 – 2010’ Shows Years of Genius Hiding in Plain Sight": "A new compilation shows that even with his biggest hits behind him, Prince could still stun you with his genius." Here it is: https://www.rollingstone....ht-714147/

This is nice and all...but it does irk me that this kind of gushing occurs after he'd dead. When alive, this music was, largely, dismissed as so so. Curious. You can tell this is retrospective and that they aren't paying that much attention because they call the song "Dream" and that they haven't properly listened - imho - because they fail to mention The Love We Make, Dream Factory and/or Beautiful Strange. For some reason, can't quite pinpoint why at the moment, this absence of comment I find frustrating.

Anyway...on with the day. Thanks for the link, Latin: as ever, you are a true servant to the cause and I much appreciate your time and dedication.

[Edited 8/22/18 0:39am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/22/18 6:08am

darkroman

Hmmm, Prince WAS NOT, ''Genius Hiding in Plain Sight''.

I bought all the records when they were released and just like all other fans we have been enjoying his music for decades.

What the article really should state is that people have IGNORED Prince's genious!

All of a sudden because he has gone people are claiming to see the 'genious', yet they reality is that since Prince passed away the sycophants have come out of the woodwork and people who claim to be fans are milking his legacy for money.

Not good at all!!!


sad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/22/18 6:26am

1725topp

Latin, thanks for posting this article. It is a nice, if not hypocritical, review. As one of the people who purchased all those albums during this time, as someone who could not have cared less about much of the other musical bs that was being promoted as well-crafted, I'll just try to ignore this notion that now outlets like Rolling Stone and others want to praise Prince when, in reality, very few of them were checking for him during the 90s. But, that's cool. It's a nice article for what it is, but someone should inform RS that the title of the song is "Dreamer" and not "Dream."

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/22/18 12:50pm

Latin

pinkcashmere23 said:

Good article. Thanks!


You are very welcome. smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/22/18 1:05pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

1725topp said:

Latin, thanks for posting this article. It is a nice, if not hypocritical, review. As one of the people who purchased all those albums during this time, as someone who could not have cared less about much of the other musical bs that was being promoted as well-crafted, I'll just try to ignore this notion that now outlets like Rolling Stone and others want to praise Prince when, in reality, very few of them were checking for him during the 90s. But, that's cool. It's a nice article for what it is, but someone should inform RS that the title of the song is "Dreamer" and not "Dream."




Yep i was just about to post about whomever is responsible for checking the article for putting it online. Hopefully the print version is correct,
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/22/18 2:25pm

skywalker

avatar

Genius hiding in plain site? He never went anywhere the press often looked the other way because he was going against "the business" for the sake of his art.
-

Fact is the mainstream press like Rolling Stome is part of a large machine that Prince was often at war with from 1993 onwards. If he'd had played their game, followed their rules, and remained a slave....they'd have heaped this praise on him then. Prince did things his own way and , though he ultimately won the war, there were consequences that played out in the 90's in terms of press coverage/public perception.
-
That's said, his talent never wavered and there wasn't really ever a drop in quality of his work. Just fan opinion. This stellar review for this Hodge podge anthology is proof of that.
-

Side rant: Any anthology with "we march" is the closing song is really shoddy in terms of sequencing and song choice. No "holy river"? No "days of wild"? I am sure we all have our own collection of songs that would make a better anthology from this era. Seriously there's a point on this anthology where there are like five pallets in a row. Who does that? Who put this together
"New Power slide...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/22/18 2:56pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

skywalker said:

Genius hiding in plain site? He never went anywhere the press often looked the other way because he was going against "the business" for the sake of his art.
-

Fact is the mainstream press like Rolling Stome is part of a large machine that Prince was often at war with from 1993 onwards. If he'd had played their game, followed their rules, and remained a slave....they'd have heaped this praise on him then. Prince did things his own way and , though he ultimately won the war, there were consequences that played out in the 90's in terms of press coverage/public perception.
-
That's said, his talent never wavered and there wasn't really ever a drop in quality of his work. Just fan opinion. This stellar review for this Hodge podge anthology is proof of that.
-

Side rant: Any anthology with "we march" is the closing song is really shoddy in terms of sequencing and song choice. No "holy river"? No "days of wild"? I am sure we all have our own collection of songs that would make a better anthology from this era. Seriously there's a point on this anthology where there are like five pallets in a row. Who does that? Who put this together


Everyone is entitled to their opinions, Mine is contrary to everything you just ranted. It was a dramatic off the cliff drop in quality. Like a light switch.
Drugs involved in the dramatic drop in quality? My guess has always been YES.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/22/18 3:24pm

PeteSilas

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

SkipperLove said:

Why? I am happy for his legacy and hope it keeps coming but there is a part of me that feels bad for the man himself because he didn't get accolades like that when he was alive..

Because people like me did give the man himself his accolades when he was alive. We were the ones that bought his music and filled the seats when performed it without the backing of the mega corporate multimedia marketing arm using...algorithms and such, that's causing ads for this project, to appear on every damn website I go to!

personally, it's not news to me, i had just about everything he released, maybe not each and every album but i was a faithful fan, never tore apart his music unless i had a good reason (maybe, my name is prince would fit that category, but that was unusually bad).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/22/18 4:02pm

PeteSilas

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

skywalker said:
Genius hiding in plain site? He never went anywhere the press often looked the other way because he was going against "the business" for the sake of his art. - Fact is the mainstream press like Rolling Stome is part of a large machine that Prince was often at war with from 1993 onwards. If he'd had played their game, followed their rules, and remained a slave....they'd have heaped this praise on him then. Prince did things his own way and , though he ultimately won the war, there were consequences that played out in the 90's in terms of press coverage/public perception. - That's said, his talent never wavered and there wasn't really ever a drop in quality of his work. Just fan opinion. This stellar review for this Hodge podge anthology is proof of that. - Side rant: Any anthology with "we march" is the closing song is really shoddy in terms of sequencing and song choice. No "holy river"? No "days of wild"? I am sure we all have our own collection of songs that would make a better anthology from this era. Seriously there's a point on this anthology where there are like five pallets in a row. Who does that? Who put this together
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, Mine is contrary to everything you just ranted. It was a dramatic off the cliff drop in quality. Like a light switch. Drugs involved in the dramatic drop in quality? My guess has always been YES.

most drug lovers would say drugs help make great music. I never saw a huge decline in Prince's work, never. Human beings are fickle, that much I know, people will prod and poke and find the one thing they don't like and magnify it a million times until they hate your guts, just the way people in general are.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/22/18 4:34pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

PeteSilas said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


skywalker said:
Genius hiding in plain site? He never went anywhere the press often looked the other way because he was going against "the business" for the sake of his art. - Fact is the mainstream press like Rolling Stome is part of a large machine that Prince was often at war with from 1993 onwards. If he'd had played their game, followed their rules, and remained a slave....they'd have heaped this praise on him then. Prince did things his own way and , though he ultimately won the war, there were consequences that played out in the 90's in terms of press coverage/public perception. - That's said, his talent never wavered and there wasn't really ever a drop in quality of his work. Just fan opinion. This stellar review for this Hodge podge anthology is proof of that. - Side rant: Any anthology with "we march" is the closing song is really shoddy in terms of sequencing and song choice. No "holy river"? No "days of wild"? I am sure we all have our own collection of songs that would make a better anthology from this era. Seriously there's a point on this anthology where there are like five pallets in a row. Who does that? Who put this together

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, Mine is contrary to everything you just ranted. It was a dramatic off the cliff drop in quality. Like a light switch. Drugs involved in the dramatic drop in quality? My guess has always been YES.

most drug lovers would say drugs help make great music. I never saw a huge decline in Prince's work, never. Human beings are fickle, that much I know, people will prod and poke and find the one thing they don't like and magnify it a million times until they hate your guts, just the way people in general are.




Well its your opinion and a minority one. The thinking his music took a giant dump in the 90’s is the majority with plenty of metrics to show this. Sales, airplay, what he played in concerts, what people still choose to listen to...

But alas, it doesn’t matter. There is something great for everyone in his entire catalog.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/22/18 6:14pm

bonatoc

avatar

SimonCharles said:

Latin said:

Today, Rolling Stone published the following album review entitled "Review: Prince’s ‘Anthology: 1995 – 2010’ Shows Years of Genius Hiding in Plain Sight": "A new compilation shows that even with his biggest hits behind him, Prince could still stun you with his genius." Here it is: https://www.rollingstone....ht-714147/


This is nice and all...but it does irk me that this kind of gushing occurs after he'd dead. When alive, this music was, largely, dismissed as so so. Curious. You can tell this is retrospective and that they aren't paying that much attention because they call the song "Dream" and that they haven't properly listened - imho - because they fail to mention The Love We Make, Dream Factory and/or Beautiful Strange. For some reason, can't quite pinpoint why at the moment, this absence of comment I find frustrating.

Anyway...on with the day. Thanks for the link, Latin: as ever, you are a true servant to the cause and I much appreciate your time and dedication.

[Edited 8/22/18 0:39am]


Well, WB wasn't that wrong when they warned about market/media saturation.
Prince produced too much and released his music on his own terms.
A Cybersingle here, a self-produced underground-like album there, then a partnership with a major...

We're glad he did it his way, but the common man never understood why Prince
insisted on releasing a record (or even a triple) a year when Madonna or MJ took three or four years between each album.
It's unfair, but it appeared to them as if Prince didn't take enough time to work on his records.
Like he rushed them in some supposed need for attention, when the truth was in fact much simpler:
he wrote songs like others write their diary. On a daily basis.

I'm not going to be picky, the article ends well: it reminds us all that the problem lied with the public:
they were the ones unable to keep up. But again, it takes a bunch of nutties like us to listen to that much Prince.
Hey, their loss.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/22/18 6:35pm

bonatoc

avatar

darkroman said:

Hmmm, Prince WAS NOT, ''Genius Hiding in Plain Sight''.

I bought all the records when they were released and just like all other fans we have been enjoying his music for decades.

What the article really should state is that people have IGNORED Prince's genious!

All of a sudden because he has gone people are claiming to see the 'genious', yet they reality is that since Prince passed away the sycophants have come out of the woodwork and people who claim to be fans are milking his legacy for money.

Not good at all!!!


sad


Such drama! Allow me a simpler explanation: Prince is a demanding artist.
A good third of his post-eighties production is simply too cryptic and self-referencing.
You can't fully appreciate it if you don't know what came before, what he's referring to,
you need the whole mythology, an ability to decode him that is only acquired when you
fully dive into his visions.

As for the ones claiming a drop in quality, could they at least concede that Prince
acts like a revealer of the mediocrity of prefab pop music?
That an average song by Prince sounds like genius, holds more soul, is more sincere,
that any shit that made the charts mountain top in these under-the-radar decades?
When the usual #1, that went multi-platinum, will be long forgotten, title and artist,
people will still be humming Prince's lamest tunes. That's SKipper's ultimate trick:
you don't like the song, you think it's not up to his fucking golden years,
but there you go, a week after, you find yourself whistling it, out of the blue.

It takes time to appreciate Prince post-eighties. As Yoda said, you've got to unlearn what you've learned.
No more W&L. No more flangered hi-hats. No more Oberheims. No more 6/9sus4 Parade jazzy chords shit,
no more Blue Angel, no more Sheila, no more buttons on the pants sides.
It's like someone you're married to, and one day you wake up and it's a whole other person.
Whether you choose to file up for divorce is up to you. Prince, he goes: "Don't give up. I still Love U."

[Edited 8/22/18 18:44pm]

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/22/18 6:45pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

bonatoc said:



darkroman said:


Hmmm, Prince WAS NOT, ''Genius Hiding in Plain Sight''.

I bought all the records when they were released and just like all other fans we have been enjoying his music for decades.

What the article really should state is that people have IGNORED Prince's genious!

All of a sudden because he has gone people are claiming to see the 'genious', yet they reality is that since Prince passed away the sycophants have come out of the woodwork and people who claim to be fans are milking his legacy for money.

Not good at all!!!


sad




Such drama! Allow me a simpler explanation: Prince is a demanding artist.
A good third of his post-eighties production is simply too cryptic and self-referencing.
You can't fully appreciate it if you don't know what came before, what he's referring to,
you need the whole mythology, an ability to decode him that is only acquired when you
fully dive into his visions.

As for the ones claiming a drop in quality, could they at least concede that Prince
acts like a revealer of the mediocrity of prefab pop music?
That an average song by Prince sounds like genius, holds more soul, is more sincere,
that any shit that made the charts mountain top in these under-the-radar decades?

It takes time to appreciate Prince post-eighties. As Yoda said, you've got to unlearn what you've learned.
No more W&L. No more flangered hi-hats. No more Oberheims. No more 6/9sus4 Parade jazzy chords shit,
no more Blue Angel, no more Sheila, no more buttons on the pants sides.
It's like someone you're married to, and one day you wake up and it's a whole other person.
Whether you choose to file up for divorce is up to you. Prince, he goes: "Don't give up. I still Love U."



I concede there were great tracks in the 90’s. On the other thread i gave the compilation a thumbs up. But can we concede that post 80’s Prince mistook corny and cheesy as being more poppy or whatever it was supposed to be? I have no problem with the more challenging work, I love The Truth, I love Come, but there was a heavy ratio of corny/cheesy music in comparison to great tracks.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/22/18 7:25pm

bonatoc

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

bonatoc said:


Such drama! Allow me a simpler explanation: Prince is a demanding artist.
A good third of his post-eighties production is simply too cryptic and self-referencing.
You can't fully appreciate it if you don't know what came before, what he's referring to,
you need the whole mythology, an ability to decode him that is only acquired when you
fully dive into his visions.

As for the ones claiming a drop in quality, could they at least concede that Prince
acts like a revealer of the mediocrity of prefab pop music?
That an average song by Prince sounds like genius, holds more soul, is more sincere,
that any shit that made the charts mountain top in these under-the-radar decades?

It takes time to appreciate Prince post-eighties. As Yoda said, you've got to unlearn what you've learned.
No more W&L. No more flangered hi-hats. No more Oberheims. No more 6/9sus4 Parade jazzy chords shit,
no more Blue Angel, no more Sheila, no more buttons on the pants sides.
It's like someone you're married to, and one day you wake up and it's a whole other person.
Whether you choose to file up for divorce is up to you. Prince, he goes: "Don't give up. I still Love U."

I concede there were great tracks in the 90’s. On the other thread i gave the compilation a thumbs up. But can we concede that post 80’s Prince mistook corny and cheesy as being more poppy or whatever it was supposed to be? I have no problem with the more challenging work, I love The Truth, I love Come, but there was a heavy ratio of corny/cheesy music in comparison to great tracks.


Of course, but the most important thing to me is not his "genius", it's his courage.
Most of what he did was an experiment. Was the conclusion always satisfying? Heck no.
But I encourage you to give songs or albums you don't like a few more spins. I've been surprised.

But it almost doesn't matter: Prince never pretended to write only classics. He already been there, done that.
When you have a string of classics long enough to sustain two hours or more of concert, your day is done.
So what's left but indulging in your grand, baroque visions, to the risk of sounding ridicule? What you're going to do with the rest of your career is entirely up to you, right?
To quote him, do you know how easy it would have been for him to serve the planet Purple Rain pt. II, then, pt. III, etc. ?

Look around you. Very few pop artists took the chance to reinvent themselves, to constantly put their career in the balance.
I'm talking about big names: they make a fortune with the same formula, relifting it just enough
so to resemble an artistic statement.
But try to buy their "Best Of", and what you'll end up with is their whole discography, summarized. That says a lot.

Prince periodically threw away iconic clothes and guitars, haircuts, signature sounds,
production habits and composition methodologies. Down the trash chute.
Strong, recognizable symbols (pun intended) any other artist would have clinged to for decades.
He switched from record label to record label, gave live performances when he felt like.
If the price of freedom, or rather the concept of it, means getting too much of
Prince's journal ripped-off (pun oh so intended) pages along with ("usual") flashes of genius,
I say bring me my checkbook right this instant.

Of course critics are baffled by this compilation, and rightly so.
Stuck as they are with their vision of Prince and his eighties glory,
they suddenly realize that Prince didn't wait for them, worse, didn't care for them.
And so it's like discovering an artist that plays like Prince, sings like Prince, arranges like Prince,
and yet is far, far away from the eighties (and only) Prince they know.


[Edited 8/22/18 19:33pm]

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 08/22/18 7:31pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

bonatoc said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


bonatoc said:



Such drama! Allow me a simpler explanation: Prince is a demanding artist.
A good third of his post-eighties production is simply too cryptic and self-referencing.
You can't fully appreciate it if you don't know what came before, what he's referring to,
you need the whole mythology, an ability to decode him that is only acquired when you
fully dive into his visions.

As for the ones claiming a drop in quality, could they at least concede that Prince
acts like a revealer of the mediocrity of prefab pop music?
That an average song by Prince sounds like genius, holds more soul, is more sincere,
that any shit that made the charts mountain top in these under-the-radar decades?

It takes time to appreciate Prince post-eighties. As Yoda said, you've got to unlearn what you've learned.
No more W&L. No more flangered hi-hats. No more Oberheims. No more 6/9sus4 Parade jazzy chords shit,
no more Blue Angel, no more Sheila, no more buttons on the pants sides.
It's like someone you're married to, and one day you wake up and it's a whole other person.
Whether you choose to file up for divorce is up to you. Prince, he goes: "Don't give up. I still Love U."



I concede there were great tracks in the 90’s. On the other thread i gave the compilation a thumbs up. But can we concede that post 80’s Prince mistook corny and cheesy as being more poppy or whatever it was supposed to be? I have no problem with the more challenging work, I love The Truth, I love Come, but there was a heavy ratio of corny/cheesy music in comparison to great tracks.


Of course, but the most important thing to me is not his "genius", it's his courage.
Most of what he did was an experiment. Was the conclusion always satisfying? Heck no.
But I encourage you to give songs or albums you don't like a few more spins. I've been surprised.

But it almost doesn't matter: Prince never pretended to write only classics. He already been there, done that.
When you have a string of classics long enough to sustain two hours or more of concert, your day is done.
So what's left but indulging in your grand, baroque visions, to the risk of sounding ridicule? What you're going to do with the rest of your career is entirely up to you, right?
To quote him, do you know how easy it would have been for him to serve the planet Purple Rain pt. II, then, pt. III, etc. ?

Look around you. Very few pop artists took the chance to reinvent themselves, to constantly put their career in the balance.
I'm talking about big names: they make a fortune with the same formula, relifting it just enough
so to resemble an artistic statement.
But try to buy their "Best Of", and what you'll end up with is their whole discography, summarized. That says a lot.

Prince periodically threw away iconic clothes, haircuts, guitars and composition methodologies.
Strong, recognizable symbols (pun intended) any other artist would have clinged to for decades.
He switched from record label to record label, gave live performances when he felt like.
If the price of freedom, or rather the concept of it, means getting too much of
Prince's journal ripped-off (pun oh so intended) pages along with (the usual) flashes of genius,
I say bring me my checkbook right this instant.

Of course, critics are baffled by this compilation, and rightly so.
Stuck as they are with their vision of Prince and his eighties glory,
they suddenly realize that Prince didn't wait for them, worse, didn't care for them.
And so it's like discovering an artist that plays like Prince, sings like Prince, arranges like Prince,
and yet is far, far away from the eighties (and only) Prince they know.


[Edited 8/22/18 19:26pm]



Ok, i mostly agree. And again there is certainly something for everyone in his entire catalog, which to me and most fans includes all the work he produced under different names or muses.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 08/22/18 7:50pm

PeteSilas

i personally don't go buy pop success, i go by what i like, some of my favorite elvis tracks i would defy anyone here to have ever heard of, some of MJ's 90's stuff was better than the stuff in the 80's but his pop heyday was over. It's been said that pop peaks are short, Elvis' great period was only about 2 years, the beatles were there for 6 years, Little Richard never accomplished any chart hits after the fifties did he? It doesn't necessarily mean that these men don't still produce good stuff, they do.

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

bonatoc said:


Such drama! Allow me a simpler explanation: Prince is a demanding artist.
A good third of his post-eighties production is simply too cryptic and self-referencing.
You can't fully appreciate it if you don't know what came before, what he's referring to,
you need the whole mythology, an ability to decode him that is only acquired when you
fully dive into his visions.

As for the ones claiming a drop in quality, could they at least concede that Prince
acts like a revealer of the mediocrity of prefab pop music?
That an average song by Prince sounds like genius, holds more soul, is more sincere,
that any shit that made the charts mountain top in these under-the-radar decades?

It takes time to appreciate Prince post-eighties. As Yoda said, you've got to unlearn what you've learned.
No more W&L. No more flangered hi-hats. No more Oberheims. No more 6/9sus4 Parade jazzy chords shit,
no more Blue Angel, no more Sheila, no more buttons on the pants sides.
It's like someone you're married to, and one day you wake up and it's a whole other person.
Whether you choose to file up for divorce is up to you. Prince, he goes: "Don't give up. I still Love U."

I concede there were great tracks in the 90’s. On the other thread i gave the compilation a thumbs up. But can we concede that post 80’s Prince mistook corny and cheesy as being more poppy or whatever it was supposed to be? I have no problem with the more challenging work, I love The Truth, I love Come, but there was a heavy ratio of corny/cheesy music in comparison to great tracks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/23/18 11:14am

sro100

avatar

Of all the great great songs to include in the "Anthology" they put on "Strays of the World?" I think this might be perhaps Prince's most embarassing song.

BTW, since this is a "release" in the world of streaming does that mean this is going to be on the Billboard charts and count as an official "album;" assuming its streaming pushes it into the Top 200?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/24/18 7:42am

skywalker

avatar

sro100 said:

Of all the great great songs to include in the "Anthology" they put on "Strays of the World?" I think this might be perhaps Prince's most embarassing song.

BTW, since this is a "release" in the world of streaming does that mean this is going to be on the Billboard charts and count as an official "album;" assuming its streaming pushes it into the Top 200?

Intersting. I always thought that Strays of the World, like 3 Chans O' Gold, were showing Prince's appreciation of Queen and rock opera. What don't you like about it?

"New Power slide...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/24/18 8:29am

savagedreams

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

I honestly had no intention of speaking on this because for the most part of the that time period...I was personally, financially, contributing directly to Prince. Meaning I have most of this material already. So, right now, all the algorithms and such, that's causing ads for this project, to appear on every damn website I go to...is seriously pissing me the fuck off!

.

seriosuly? ads for an artist you like "is seriously pissing me the fuck off!" get some help dude

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 08/24/18 12:06pm

PeteSilas

skywalker said:

sro100 said:

Of all the great great songs to include in the "Anthology" they put on "Strays of the World?" I think this might be perhaps Prince's most embarassing song.

BTW, since this is a "release" in the world of streaming does that mean this is going to be on the Billboard charts and count as an official "album;" assuming its streaming pushes it into the Top 200?

Intersting. I always thought that Strays of the World, like 3 Chans O' Gold, were showing Prince's appreciation of Queen and rock opera. What don't you like about it?

i loved strays from the first time i heard it, it was a song for us outsiders.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/25/18 5:50pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

NEWS : Prince's post 1995 catalog hits streaming services, including new 1995-2010 Anthology

http://www.prince.org/msg/7/456070

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 08/25/18 6:02pm

SkipperLove

I dont understand the hate for it either..other than being a bit derivative, I enjoys its message. I imagine they picked it because it sounds like it is welcoming foreigners etc. Considering the climate today in regards to immigration, it would be a great song to use in a pro-immigration film. It has a spirituality but also a "Bring us your huddled masses" feel to it.

Come now all ye strays of the world, there's a place for you
In Love's kingdom, boys and girls, all are welcome to

[Chorus]
Strays of the world, strays of the world
La la la la la

[Verse 1]
Surrender all ye sad of heart, today hold back no tears
The past is gone when we can start conquering our fears



PeteSilas said:

skywalker said:

Intersting. I always thought that Strays of the World, like 3 Chans O' Gold, were showing Prince's appreciation of Queen and rock opera. What don't you like about it?

i loved strays from the first time i heard it, it was a song for us outsiders.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New Rolling Stone Review - PRINCE'S ‘Anthology: 1995 – 2010’ Shows Years of Genius Hiding in Plain Sight