independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 7th Dec 2019 4:09pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The lighter side of Prince--I hope it doesn't get drowned in the deluge of tragedy.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/20/18 11:45am

purplerabbitho
le

The lighter side of Prince--I hope it doesn't get drowned in the deluge of tragedy.

Lala and Ruth Arzate have posted some funny antecdotes about P but don't seem to be writing books. Others have as well stated his funnier moments but they are strewn within all the bleak, darker stories. But I fear now that if a book is not created comprised of these lighter antecdotes. They will be lost permanently or obscured.. I hope someone gets with his associates and peruses his concert footage, rehearsal footage and interviews for funny antecdotes (intentionally funny, not Prince-was- unreasonable-and-we-(his humorous musicians)-reacted-in-funny-ways moments) and creates a book. If I had the time and resources, I would do it myself--call it "A Purple Prankster--the Lighter side of musical genius" or something like that.

[Edited 5/20/18 11:46am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/20/18 12:10pm

pinkcashmere23

From Ruth's IG post about the round bed at Paisley Park,I got the idea that she was considering writing a book.I think she's very funny and I would love to read more stories from her. A book like you suggested is a nice idea!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/20/18 12:18pm

purplerabbitho
le

Yeah, that's right. But considering she had her ups and downs with him, I don't think it will be all funny. I would prefer a book that focused primarily on funny or light. I remember reading this fun book about Sinatra called "Frank Sinatra and the lost art of living". I would have rather have a themed book like that.

pinkcashmere23 said:

From Ruth's IG post about the round bed at Paisley Park,I got the idea that she was considering writing a book.I think she's very funny and I would love to read more stories from her. A book like you suggested is a nice idea!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/20/18 1:55pm

pinkcashmere23

purplerabbithole said:

Yeah, that's right. But considering she had her ups and downs with him, I don't think it will be all funny. I would prefer a book that focused primarily on funny or light. I remember reading this fun book about Sinatra called "Frank Sinatra and the lost art of living". I would have rather have a themed book like that.

pinkcashmere23 said:

From Ruth's IG post about the round bed at Paisley Park,I got the idea that she was considering writing a book.I think she's very funny and I would love to read more stories from her. A book like you suggested is a nice idea!

That would be nice to have a compilation of stories from associates spotlighting Prince's sense of humor,I agree.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/20/18 2:59pm

geetee71

avatar

.

A few years back one of his ex-bodyguards (from around the 'Parade' time, if I remember correctly) had a blog where he posted lots of 'life on the road' anecdotes and backstage pranks. After a time other Paisley alumnii also contributed their own recollections and stories.

.

I'm sure it ended up getting shut down by the Prince machine, which was a real shame - those stories showed a much lighter side to Prince than the generally-known public persona and, like you, I would love to see a book filled with those kind of remembrances.

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/20/18 4:13pm

rednblue

Wouldn't it be great if that blog resurfaced? I'd also love to read a book inspired by P's sense of humor!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/20/18 6:28pm

Lovejunky

avatar

purplerabbithole said:

Lala and Ruth Arzate have posted some funny antecdotes about P but don't seem to be writing books. Others have as well stated his funnier moments but they are strewn within all the bleak, darker stories. But I fear now that if a book is not created comprised of these lighter antecdotes. They will be lost permanently or obscured.. I hope someone gets with his associates and peruses his concert footage, rehearsal footage and interviews for funny antecdotes (intentionally funny, not Prince-was- unreasonable-and-we-(his humorous musicians)-reacted-in-funny-ways moments) and creates a book. If I had the time and resources, I would do it myself--call it "A Purple Prankster--the Lighter side of musical genius" or something like that.

[Edited 5/20/18 11:46am]

You can find one Story here

http://prince.org/msg/5/450575

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/20/18 9:50pm

purplerabbitho
le

Let's compile a few...

  • on stage, nearly passing out when woman on stage screams instead of sings chorus during song. Then he says to her fam in the audience, "do you claim her?"
  • Maya Washington's account of his "argument" against being in his own reality show. He told her he wanted a reality show in Paisley but didn't want to be in it, to which she said, why not, you're hilarious. To which, he says "I can't be funny I have to save the world". after which he dashes off in exagerratingly dramatic way.
  • Dance music sex romance rehearsal with alternate lyrics -- one of which was "pussy"..having lesbian band members call the word back was funny to me as well.
  • During 2004 Canada interview when he tries not to be "narcassistic and arrogant" about his definition of "real music" --Guy asks "what is your definition of real music? prince responds "Do you have a concert ticket [of mine]?" Audience laughs. He then says "Oh, no, that's narcassistic and arrogant' and without missing a beat says to the camera--"but come to the concert" .
  • in same canada interview, teases a guy while he looks him over and wonders out loud about him "fitting the profile of a bootlegger" in a cop-like voice.
  • "room service" prank calls to band members
  • kissing Morris Hayes head after he convinced him to let him shave his head during a performance
  • his reaction to crazy audience member who dances a bit too sexually on stage in the late 90's--clutches his heart and does a Fred Sanford "Elizabeth I am coming to join ya"
  • posts a picture of "black cotton candy" on his twitter page
  • posts a picture of himself on the overhead screen above the crowd at Warriors game' and posts "you are right , thank you, this is the better seat".
  • posts a picture of overdramatic monkeys appearing to be crying--then stating that someone ate the last piece of one of staff member's delicious cheesecake.
  • Anna Fantastic's account of Prince cracking her up by intentionally getting the worst "Shirley Temple" hairdo imaginable.
  • he and revolution members messing with a reporter's head making him think they were having a drag-out fight in the hallway.
  • piggy back riding on Chick's back
  • prank calling Jay Leno with lame white boy Minnesota accent and making him crazy about a broken office chair.
  • describing sleeping on his ugly furry circular bed that ruth got for him as being embraced by a teddy bear.
  • his reaction to Lala when she asked him about whether he was still a fanboy of Rick James (even though he was brutal to P)..he reacted with an affirmative, valley girl voice the words "oh, my god".
  • his impersonation of lala's long grooming time..
  • describing Bream as "grover" looking
  • his reactions to Damarus waking him up to prank call him. "Victoria"--click.
  • his conversation with radio host about "ghetto cake"..straight to cardiac arrest.
  • his driving Chase howard on the back of his scooter (the look on his face was hysterical)
  • Wrecka stowe
  • coming up with idea of using a grill lighter instead of a regular lighter for the dark-elevator scene in New girl.
  • Jimmy Fallon's story about P trash talking during Ping pong and then talking briefly to Questlvoe after he dashed off and got in his limo--when Questlove asked, "what happened"--"Ask your boy" was his reaction as his limo window went back up.
  • his lightening the mood with the help of Bryant Gumbel. gumbel asked him some questions about his son. Prince kept it spiritual in his answers but then Gumbel was nice enough to change the subject and ask him about his clothes choices. this is when humor came to the rescue..Bryant asked him if he would ever wear a suit jacket. He (in a faux shy embarrassed voice) said no. Then Bryant asked "what about these khakis-- would you wear them" Prince reaction--another shy faux embarrassed no. then he asks him about his shoes and if he would wear them. Prince sits up to get a better look and then sits back down saying "hell, no" in an exagerratedly cocky way. the next time he came on the Today show he was dressed like Bryant Gumbel..and later said it was Mayte's idea. He said she also asked him to do his Gumbel impression.."Take Care Bryant"..LOl
  • Wearing fuzzy teddy bear snow cap during performance
  • Getting his idea for shoes from light up sketchers a staff member's kid was wearing.
  • Baby sitting Sam Jenkins' 3 or 4 year old daugher while he and his wife eat. Comes back a half an hour later and has convinced her to dance around the table in an 'afro" like wig.
  • zip tied staff members scissors closed.
  • impersonates mavis staples voice mispronouncing of Tavis Smiley's name.."Now, Travis you know I like to laugh"
  • describes misquoted lyrics to Tavis...(says the beginning of when doves cry is misquoted as "me,marvin gaye and the kids". and then describes how a certain woman who didn't speak the english language too good but she had a cute daughter so "that's why we are, uh,.....acquiantances." was saying that she thought that little red corvette was 'pay the rent collect". OH, shade myster prince. Well, if you are going to argue with your in-laws, you might as well make it cryptic and funny.
  • George Lopez gives him a gift. Before he opens it, he says I don't really take gifts. He then opens it. Its a purple fedora. Prince puts it on his head and pimp-walks George-Jefferson style around the room. Sits back down and says "oh, I am keeping this".
  • Oprah asks him if he feels he's "grown". He stands up looks down at his little self and says "No, I am pretty much the same size"
  • compliments Mel B's "pimp" watch
  • teases Kurt Loder in interview about being pelted by Woodstock fans, and his questionable obsession with P's sexy costumes in the vault..."ain't you got a woman?"

Any more???????????????

[Edited 5/20/18 22:27pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/21/18 6:38am

rednblue

interview promo with Robyne Robinson

https://youtu.be/qabWZc_FMHE

[Edited 5/21/18 6:41am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/21/18 10:21am

pinkcashmere23

purplerabbithole said:

Let's compile a few...

  • on stage, nearly passing out when woman on stage screams instead of sings chorus during song. Then he says to her fam in the audience, "do you claim her?"
  • Maya Washington's account of his "argument" against being in his own reality show. He told her he wanted a reality show in Paisley but didn't want to be in it, to which she said, why not, you're hilarious. To which, he says "I can't be funny I have to save the world". after which he dashes off in exagerratingly dramatic way.
  • Dance music sex romance rehearsal with alternate lyrics -- one of which was "pussy"..having lesbian band members call the word back was funny to me as well.
  • During 2004 Canada interview when he tries not to be "narcassistic and arrogant" about his definition of "real music" --Guy asks "what is your definition of real music? prince responds "Do you have a concert ticket [of mine]?" Audience laughs. He then says "Oh, no, that's narcassistic and arrogant' and without missing a beat says to the camera--"but come to the concert" .
  • in same canada interview, teases a guy while he looks him over and wonders out loud about him "fitting the profile of a bootlegger" in a cop-like voice.
  • "room service" prank calls to band members
  • kissing Morris Hayes head after he convinced him to let him shave his head during a performance
  • his reaction to crazy audience member who dances a bit too sexually on stage in the late 90's--clutches his heart and does a Fred Sanford "Elizabeth I am coming to join ya"
  • posts a picture of "black cotton candy" on his twitter page
  • posts a picture of himself on the overhead screen above the crowd at Warriors game' and posts "you are right , thank you, this is the better seat".
  • posts a picture of overdramatic monkeys appearing to be crying--then stating that someone ate the last piece of one of staff member's delicious cheesecake.
  • Anna Fantastic's account of Prince cracking her up by intentionally getting the worst "Shirley Temple" hairdo imaginable.
  • he and revolution members messing with a reporter's head making him think they were having a drag-out fight in the hallway.
  • piggy back riding on Chick's back
  • prank calling Jay Leno with lame white boy Minnesota accent and making him crazy about a broken office chair.
  • describing sleeping on his ugly furry circular bed that ruth got for him as being embraced by a teddy bear.
  • his reaction to Lala when she asked him about whether he was still a fanboy of Rick James (even though he was brutal to P)..he reacted with an affirmative, valley girl voice the words "oh, my god".
  • his impersonation of lala's long grooming time..
  • describing Bream as "grover" looking
  • his reactions to Damarus waking him up to prank call him. "Victoria"--click.
  • his conversation with radio host about "ghetto cake"..straight to cardiac arrest.
  • his driving Chase howard on the back of his scooter (the look on his face was hysterical)
  • Wrecka stowe
  • coming up with idea of using a grill lighter instead of a regular lighter for the dark-elevator scene in New girl.
  • Jimmy Fallon's story about P trash talking during Ping pong and then talking briefly to Questlvoe after he dashed off and got in his limo--when Questlove asked, "what happened"--"Ask your boy" was his reaction as his limo window went back up.
  • his lightening the mood with the help of Bryant Gumbel. gumbel asked him some questions about his son. Prince kept it spiritual in his answers but then Gumbel was nice enough to change the subject and ask him about his clothes choices. this is when humor came to the rescue..Bryant asked him if he would ever wear a suit jacket. He (in a faux shy embarrassed voice) said no. Then Bryant asked "what about these khakis-- would you wear them" Prince reaction--another shy faux embarrassed no. then he asks him about his shoes and if he would wear them. Prince sits up to get a better look and then sits back down saying "hell, no" in an exagerratedly cocky way. the next time he came on the Today show he was dressed like Bryant Gumbel..and later said it was Mayte's idea. He said she also asked him to do his Gumbel impression.."Take Care Bryant"..LOl
  • Wearing fuzzy teddy bear snow cap during performance
  • Getting his idea for shoes from light up sketchers a staff member's kid was wearing.
  • Baby sitting Sam Jenkins' 3 or 4 year old daugher while he and his wife eat. Comes back a half an hour later and has convinced her to dance around the table in an 'afro" like wig.
  • zip tied staff members scissors closed.
  • impersonates mavis staples voice mispronouncing of Tavis Smiley's name.."Now, Travis you know I like to laugh"
  • describes misquoted lyrics to Tavis...(says the beginning of when doves cry is misquoted as "me,marvin gaye and the kids". and then describes how a certain woman who didn't speak the english language too good but she had a cute daughter so "that's why we are, uh,.....acquiantances." was saying that she thought that little red corvette was 'pay the rent collect". OH, shade myster prince. Well, if you are going to argue with your in-laws, you might as well make it cryptic and funny.
  • George Lopez gives him a gift. Before he opens it, he says I don't really take gifts. He then opens it. Its a purple fedora. Prince puts it on his head and pimp-walks George-Jefferson style around the room. Sits back down and says "oh, I am keeping this".
  • Oprah asks him if he feels he's "grown". He stands up looks down at his little self and says "No, I am pretty much the same size"
  • compliments Mel B's "pimp" watch
  • teases Kurt Loder in interview about being pelted by Woodstock fans, and his questionable obsession with P's sexy costumes in the vault..."ain't you got a woman?"

Any more???????????????

[Edited 5/20/18 22:27pm]

Nothing to add but those are great! Nice taste of his sense of humor.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/21/18 4:27pm

violetcrush

geetee71 said:

.

A few years back one of his ex-bodyguards (from around the 'Parade' time, if I remember correctly) had a blog where he posted lots of 'life on the road' anecdotes and backstage pranks. After a time other Paisley alumnii also contributed their own recollections and stories.

.

I'm sure it ended up getting shut down by the Prince machine, which was a real shame - those stories showed a much lighter side to Prince than the generally-known public persona and, like you, I would love to see a book filled with those kind of remembrances.

.

Perhaps the blogs will surface again at some point? The funny/lighthearted stories are great, and very entertaining - a la Charlie Murphy and the Basketball Diaries biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/21/18 8:53pm

purplerabbitho
le

Bump to the top..

MOre examples...

  • during Musicology accoustic set, the line about someone in bed's breath being bad, not sure if its yours or mine, but I had the regular chips and you had dem' other kind..and his comical facial expressions.
  • funny song lyrics in songs like Ballad of Dorothy Parker (her reactions to his lameness "sounds like a real man to me"), On the Couch --"I wanna go down South" and Rockhard in a Funky Place.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/22/18 7:00am

violetcrush

purplerabbithole said:

Bump to the top..



MOre examples...


  • during Musicology accoustic set, the line about someone in bed's breath being bad, not sure if its yours or mine, but I had the regular chips and you had dem' other kind..and his comical facial expressions.

  • funny song lyrics in songs like Ballad of Dorothy Parker (her reactions to his lameness "sounds like a real man to me"), On the Couch --"I wanna go down South" and Rockhard in a Funky Place.



I always liked the story of when he was flying with the band during the Dirty Mind or Contoversy tour and he convinced Matt Fink to use the sick bag and pretend he was throwing up and violently ill. I think they got into some trouble for that stunt smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/22/18 7:16am

ThatWhiteDude

avatar

purplerabbithole said:

Let's compile a few...


  • on stage, nearly passing out when woman on stage screams instead of sings chorus during song. Then he says to her fam in the audience, "do you claim her?"

  • Maya Washington's account of his "argument" against being in his own reality show. He told her he wanted a reality show in Paisley but didn't want to be in it, to which she said, why not, you're hilarious. To which, he says "I can't be funny I have to save the world". after which he dashes off in exagerratingly dramatic way.

  • Dance music sex romance rehearsal with alternate lyrics -- one of which was "pussy"..having lesbian band members call the word back was funny to me as well.

  • During 2004 Canada interview when he tries not to be "narcassistic and arrogant" about his definition of "real music" --Guy asks "what is your definition of real music? prince responds "Do you have a concert ticket [of mine]?" Audience laughs. He then says "Oh, no, that's narcassistic and arrogant' and without missing a beat says to the camera--"but come to the concert" .

  • in same canada interview, teases a guy while he looks him over and wonders out loud about him "fitting the profile of a bootlegger" in a cop-like voice.

  • "room service" prank calls to band members

  • kissing Morris Hayes head after he convinced him to let him shave his head during a performance

  • his reaction to crazy audience member who dances a bit too sexually on stage in the late 90's--clutches his heart and does a Fred Sanford "Elizabeth I am coming to join ya"

  • posts a picture of "black cotton candy" on his twitter page

  • posts a picture of himself on the overhead screen above the crowd at Warriors game' and posts "you are right , thank you, this is the better seat".

  • posts a picture of overdramatic monkeys appearing to be crying--then stating that someone ate the last piece of one of staff member's delicious cheesecake.

  • Anna Fantastic's account of Prince cracking her up by intentionally getting the worst "Shirley Temple" hairdo imaginable.

  • he and revolution members messing with a reporter's head making him think they were having a drag-out fight in the hallway.

  • piggy back riding on Chick's back

  • prank calling Jay Leno with lame white boy Minnesota accent and making him crazy about a broken office chair.

  • describing sleeping on his ugly furry circular bed that ruth got for him as being embraced by a teddy bear.

  • his reaction to Lala when she asked him about whether he was still a fanboy of Rick James (even though he was brutal to P)..he reacted with an affirmative, valley girl voice the words "oh, my god".

  • his impersonation of lala's long grooming time..

  • describing Bream as "grover" looking

  • his reactions to Damarus waking him up to prank call him. "Victoria"--click.

  • his conversation with radio host about "ghetto cake"..straight to cardiac arrest.

  • his driving Chase howard on the back of his scooter (the look on his face was hysterical)

  • Wrecka stowe

  • coming up with idea of using a grill lighter instead of a regular lighter for the dark-elevator scene in New girl.

  • Jimmy Fallon's story about P trash talking during Ping pong and then talking briefly to Questlvoe after he dashed off and got in his limo--when Questlove asked, "what happened"--"Ask your boy" was his reaction as his limo window went back up.

  • his lightening the mood with the help of Bryant Gumbel. gumbel asked him some questions about his son. Prince kept it spiritual in his answers but then Gumbel was nice enough to change the subject and ask him about his clothes choices. this is when humor came to the rescue..Bryant asked him if he would ever wear a suit jacket. He (in a faux shy embarrassed voice) said no. Then Bryant asked "what about these khakis-- would you wear them" Prince reaction--another shy faux embarrassed no. then he asks him about his shoes and if he would wear them. Prince sits up to get a better look and then sits back down saying "hell, no" in an exagerratedly cocky way. the next time he came on the Today show he was dressed like Bryant Gumbel..and later said it was Mayte's idea. He said she also asked him to do his Gumbel impression.."Take Care Bryant"..LOl

  • Wearing fuzzy teddy bear snow cap during performance

  • Getting his idea for shoes from light up sketchers a staff member's kid was wearing.

  • Baby sitting Sam Jenkins' 3 or 4 year old daugher while he and his wife eat. Comes back a half an hour later and has convinced her to dance around the table in an 'afro" like wig.

  • zip tied staff members scissors closed.

  • impersonates mavis staples voice mispronouncing of Tavis Smiley's name.."Now, Travis you know I like to laugh"

  • describes misquoted lyrics to Tavis...(says the beginning of when doves cry is misquoted as "me,marvin gaye and the kids". and then describes how a certain woman who didn't speak the english language too good but she had a cute daughter so "that's why we are, uh,.....acquiantances." was saying that she thought that little red corvette was 'pay the rent collect". OH, shade myster prince. Well, if you are going to argue with your in-laws, you might as well make it cryptic and funny.

  • George Lopez gives him a gift. Before he opens it, he says I don't really take gifts. He then opens it. Its a purple fedora. Prince puts it on his head and pimp-walks George-Jefferson style around the room. Sits back down and says "oh, I am keeping this".

  • Oprah asks him if he feels he's "grown". He stands up looks down at his little self and says "No, I am pretty much the same size"

  • compliments Mel B's "pimp" watch

  • teases Kurt Loder in interview about being pelted by Woodstock fans, and his questionable obsession with P's sexy costumes in the vault..."ain't you got a woman?"

Any more?????


[Edited 5/20/18 22:27pm]


I love it biggrin
"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."


"Extra cheese, extra HAM, extra bullshit" -DiminutiveRocker
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/22/18 8:18am

violetcrush

violetcrush said:

purplerabbithole said:

Bump to the top..

MOre examples...

  • during Musicology accoustic set, the line about someone in bed's breath being bad, not sure if its yours or mine, but I had the regular chips and you had dem' other kind..and his comical facial expressions.
  • funny song lyrics in songs like Ballad of Dorothy Parker (her reactions to his lameness "sounds like a real man to me"), On the Couch --"I wanna go down South" and Rockhard in a Funky Place.
I always liked the story of when he was flying with the band during the Dirty Mind or Contoversy tour and he convinced Matt Fink to use the sick bag and pretend he was throwing up and violently ill. I think they got into some trouble for that stunt smile

Also, loved his humor on the episode of New Girl, and how they incorporated some of his own personal things into the show - the pancakes scene with Zooey Deschanel and the ping pong match at the end. Very sweet smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/22/18 3:00pm

geetee71

avatar

violetcrush said:

Also, loved his humor on the episode of New Girl, and how they incorporated some of his own personal things into the show - the pancakes scene with Zooey Deschanel and the ping pong match at the end. Very sweet smile

.

Don't forget his trained butterfly - that part still cracks me up every time I see it. lol lol lol

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/22/18 3:12pm

violetcrush

geetee71 said:

violetcrush said:

Also, loved his humor on the episode of New Girl, and how they incorporated some of his own personal things into the show - the pancakes scene with Zooey Deschanel and the ping pong match at the end. Very sweet smile

.

Don't forget his trained butterfly - that part still cracks me up every time I see it. lol lol lol

.

Yes! He was great on that show lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/23/18 1:32am

Lovejunky

avatar

Had an hour to spare...

Lots of laughs and a few tears here...



[Edited 5/23/18 1:33am]

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/23/18 7:08am

pinkcashmere23

Lovejunky said:

Had an hour to spare...

Lots of laughs and a few tears here...

[Edited 5/23/18 1:33am]

lol Great! The first one was my favorite.Thanks for sharing those Lovejunky!

[Edited 5/23/18 7:10am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/24/18 5:19pm

purplerabbitho
le

This Harriet tubman picture was posted by another person (violetcrush, I believe) on this board..so I can't take credity. But I am going to post it her...his/her words are below..

  • Very cute story. Reminds me of the backward scarf story too - he was teasing one of his dancers or someone in his camp for wearing the backward scarf, telling him he looked like Harriet Tubman. Then, the next time he saw Prince he was wearing the backward scarf w/ the Typhoon hairdo. The guy said, wait I thought you said that looks like Harriet? And Prince said, yeah, but I make it look good smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/24/18 6:57pm

violetcrush

purplerabbithole said:

This Harriet tubman picture was posted by another person (violetcrush, I believe) on this board..so I can't take credity. But I am going to post it her...his/her words are below..

  • Very cute story. Reminds me of the backward scarf story too - he was teasing one of his dancers or someone in his camp for wearing the backward scarf, telling him he looked like Harriet Tubman. Then, the next time he saw Prince he was wearing the backward scarf w/ the Typhoon hairdo. The guy said, wait I thought you said that looks like Harriet? And Prince said, yeah, but I make it look good smile

Yes, that was me smile Here's the source and more exact words:

*

Story came from the book "Prince Chapter And Verse - A Life In Photographs" By Mobeen Azhar. I went back to look at the exact story. The guy was Hucky Austin who wore his bandana backward. Prince shouted in front of everyone, "You look like Harriet Tubman!" Two days later, He's getting ready to shoot the video for "Get Off" and I show up for work. Prince is wearing a bandana on his head with the knot at the front!" I said, "I thought I looked like Harriet? Prince laughed and said, "You do, but I wear it sexy". biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/25/18 4:05pm

violetcrush

Somebody just posted the interview Prince did with ABC in 1998 on YT where he pulled out a cracker and ate it in the middle of the interview. Hilarious! The host was cringe-worthy - literally reciting the lyrics to "The One" and asking Prince personal questions about the relationship with Mayte. The dude clearly did not get the memo....don't dissect his songs and don't talk about his personal life! So, on the second round of "lyrics dissection" Prince reaches into his jacket pocket and pulls out one of those really stiff water crackers and bites into it. He says, "oh, sorry, I didn't have breakfast". Clearly, the cracker was meant to send another message. Too funny lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/15/18 2:18am

Lovejunky

avatar

Just came up on my facebook feed...

LOL

Image may contain: 1 person, text

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/15/18 2:26am

Lovejunky

avatar

Rebecca Blake, choreograp...ISS Video

He was very into buttons and he had buttons all up and down the costume

and I remember saying to him,

“You know, what’s with the buttons?”

And he looked at me and said,

“You should have told me you don’t like buttons.”


“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/15/18 5:16pm

Lovejunky

avatar

MORRIS HAYES (Keyboardist, 1993-2012)
He’d call my hotel room pretending to be housekeeping. One time I was kind of in a hurry and the phone rings and [high, accented voice] “Housekeeping — I have your iron.” I’m a real easygoing cat, so I’m like “No m’am, I have my own iron, I’m okay, thank you.” Hang up, rings again. “Housekeeping! You ordered an iron?” “No, I’m fine, I gotta go.” Now I’m really in a hurry trying to get out of the place — to get to his show! It rings again and I said “Are you f—ing kidding me?!” and he says [deep Prince voice], “I knew I could get you to cuss.”

DEZ DICKERSON

Read more HERE

Prince the Prankster

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/15/18 7:07pm

violetcrush

Lovejunky said:

MORRIS HAYES (Keyboardist, 1993-2012)
He’d call my hotel room pretending to be housekeeping. One time I was kind of in a hurry and the phone rings and [high, accented voice] “Housekeeping — I have your iron.” I’m a real easygoing cat, so I’m like “No m’am, I have my own iron, I’m okay, thank you.” Hang up, rings again. “Housekeeping! You ordered an iron?” “No, I’m fine, I gotta go.” Now I’m really in a hurry trying to get out of the place — to get to his show! It rings again and I said “Are you f—ing kidding me?!” and he says [deep Prince voice], “I knew I could get you to cuss.”

DEZ DICKERSON

Read more HERE

Prince the Prankster

Great links, thanks!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/17/18 10:57pm

Lovejunky

avatar

violetcrush said:

Lovejunky said:

MORRIS HAYES (Keyboardist, 1993-2012)
He’d call my hotel room pretending to be housekeeping. One time I was kind of in a hurry and the phone rings and [high, accented voice] “Housekeeping — I have your iron.” I’m a real easygoing cat, so I’m like “No m’am, I have my own iron, I’m okay, thank you.” Hang up, rings again. “Housekeeping! You ordered an iron?” “No, I’m fine, I gotta go.” Now I’m really in a hurry trying to get out of the place — to get to his show! It rings again and I said “Are you f—ing kidding me?!” and he says [deep Prince voice], “I knew I could get you to cuss.”

DEZ DICKERSON

Read more HERE

Prince the Prankster

Great links, thanks!!

Welcome..

I LOVE to share the Good Stuff

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/17/18 10:58pm

Lovejunky

avatar

Image may contain: text

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/18/18 12:37pm

purplerabbitho
le

I wish someone could send this thread to that lady who wrote that article for New Yorker that only served to "drown the lighter side of Prince in the deluge of tragedy."

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/18/18 12:58pm

violetcrush

violetcrush said:

purplerabbithole said:

Bump to the top..

MOre examples...

  • during Musicology accoustic set, the line about someone in bed's breath being bad, not sure if its yours or mine, but I had the regular chips and you had dem' other kind..and his comical facial expressions.
  • funny song lyrics in songs like Ballad of Dorothy Parker (her reactions to his lameness "sounds like a real man to me"), On the Couch --"I wanna go down South" and Rockhard in a Funky Place.
I always liked the story of when he was flying with the band during the Dirty Mind or Contoversy tour and he convinced Matt Fink to use the sick bag and pretend he was throwing up and violently ill. I think they got into some trouble for that stunt smile

So, I recently re-read the story of the band flying to MS, and Prince convinced Matt to take the plane's Bullhorn and put it in his bag while they were still on the Tarmac. One of the passengers saw them take it and notified the Flight Attendant. The Pilot came out of the cockpit and announced that someone has stolen Airline equipment which is a Federal offense. They found it in Matt's bag, but Prince volunteered to go to the police station with him. So they were escorted to the local police station, where Prince had to get a mug shot. Of course he looks amazing in the mug shot. All of the officers knew who he was, so they all basically just hung out and he signed autographs there. Great story!! Here's a link to the story:

*

http://www.feelnumb.com/2015/08/26/prince-mugshot-jackson-mississippi-arrest-1980/

*

7514e2255666c2828b0c8c113cec52d4.jpg

[Edited 6/18/18 12:59pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The lighter side of Prince--I hope it doesn't get drowned in the deluge of tragedy.