independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 25th Apr 2018 3:30am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince and the purple rain era studio sessions (book discussion part 2)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/16/18 7:31am

databank

avatar

Prince and the purple rain era studio sessions (book discussion part 2)

First thread auto-locked: http://prince.org/msg/7/4...?&pg=1

The mods told me I could create a new one, so here we go wink

.

There was also a Q&A thread with Duane that seems to have been abandonned, I'm not sure why: http://prince.org/msg/7/4...?&pg=1

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/16/18 7:55am

djThunderfunk

avatar

If you don't have this book yet, buy it today! wink

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/16/18 9:09am

databank

avatar

I've devoured it in less than a week. It's an essential reading for any Prince fan nod

.

Don't just buy it for yourself: if you know other people who might be interested, make it a birthday or a christmas gift! Remember that the future of the series depends on the first book's success.

.

I wish there was a review on Popmatters. Duane, has your publisher sent them a copy?

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/16/18 10:23am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Super Darling sticky cool batman

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/16/18 10:26am

databank

avatar

luv4u said:

Super Darling sticky cool batman

cool

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/17/18 10:37am

RodeoSchro

avatar

If you only read one book this year, "Prince and the Purple Rain Era Studio Sessions" should be that book.

It is simply incredible.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/21/18 2:19pm

madhouseman

databank said:

I've devoured it in less than a week. It's an essential reading for any Prince fan nod

.

Don't just buy it for yourself: if you know other people who might be interested, make it a birthday or a christmas gift! Remember that the future of the series depends on the first book's success.

.

I wish there was a review on Popmatters. Duane, has your publisher sent them a copy?

No. I'll look into that. Thank you for the suggestion.

My book PRINCE and The Purple Rain Era Studio Sessions 1983-1984 was released in November 2017. (https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Purple-Rain-Studio-Sessions/dp/1538105497/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) or go to https://www.facebook.com/...s/10915961
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/22/18 7:27am

funkyfine

avatar

Just finished the book and I have to say I loved it.

I finished it feeling exhausted on Prince's behalf... how on earth could the man have done so much in 2 years?

Duane has done a marvellous job bringing the sessions to life with stories and detail.

Really looking forard to the next installment!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/29/18 3:46pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

If anyone's interested, I just did an interview with Duane.




We discussed how his research began, his process of compiling the research into a book, his "Holy Grails" of unreleased songs, the possibility of more books, and a whole lot more!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/30/18 5:15am

jaawwnn

avatar

Thanks for that Militant! Great stuff

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/30/18 7:23am

antonb

That was a great interview. Did he say if he was going to do another book for sure ?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/04/18 8:14am

udo

avatar

antonb said:

That was a great interview. Did he say if he was going to do another book for sure ?

.

He did? That would be great news!

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/06/18 1:21am

oscarchristio7
77

Cheers Militant.

That was awesome, I gots to get that book now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/06/18 2:27pm

LRCdancer88

avatar

Right now I'm at ~August 1984 and I have to say that I'm absolutely loving reading about the genesis of ATWIAD. He seems so happy and just full of inspiration around this time. I pulled out my ATWIAD vinyl today and listened to it again and I feel like my appreciation of it has grown even further because of this book!!!

Admission is easy, just say you believe and come to this place in your heart... <3
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/09/18 5:51am

smokeverbs

avatar

I've been working on putting together a soundtrack to the book, something you can read the book to and be able to listen to the sessions and tracks as they appear chronologically in the book. I've changed and updated the tracklist and order a dozen times since the book came out. Most of the ~200 tracks detailed in the book are circulating and available, so this hasn't been an easy task. This is the latest revision.

Asterisk'd titles are from the official albums. Anything else is from the best circulating boots.

Tracks marked [Vocal] are Prince's original vocal versions of songs he gave to proteges.

For sources, I started with "The Work" and then systematically replaced any tracks that were upgrades from "Work It", "Box O'Chocolates", "30 Years of Unreleased Funk", "Perfect Unreleased Prince", "Parade Demos", "1993-94", "Closer 2 God", etc.

This has turned into a major project, and I would love input from the crowd here.


-------------- PRELUDES / JANUARY / FEBRUARY 83 -----------------

17 Days [Piano Demo '82] (6:38)
I Would Die 4 U [Rehearsal '82] (8:51)
Little Red Corvette [Dance Remix] (8:27)*
Vanity 6 - Drive Me Wild [Extended Mix] (7:08)*
Wonderful Ass [#1] (6:17)
Stevie Nicks - Stand Back (4:57)*


-------------- MARCH 83 -----------------
Katrina's Paper Dolls (3:30)*
Jesse Johnson - Jungle Love [Instr. Demo] (4:22)
The Time - Jungle Love (5:31)*
Cloreen Bacon Skin (15:37)*
The Time - My Summertime Thang [Short Version] (5:25)


-------------- APRIL 83 -----------------

The Time - The Bird [Studio] (6:29)
The Time - Chili Sauce (5:47)*
The Time - If The Kid Can't Make You Come [Unedited] (9:12)
Chocolate [Vocal] (5:52)
Velvet Kitty Cat (2:44)*
My Love Belongs To You [Instr.] (7:03)
Vanity 6 - Sex Shooter (6:53)


-------------- MAY - JULY 83 -----------------

Dez Dickerson - Modernaire (4:02)
Possessed [Version 1, Discarded] (8:46)
G-Spot [Vocal] (5:14)
Electric Intercourse [Studio] (4:57)*
Vanity 6 - Vibrator [Spoken Parts] (1:06)
Vanity 6 - Vibrator (7:13)
Learning Purple Rain (3:30)
Darling Nikki [Unedited] (4:15)


-------------- LIVE AT FIRST AVENUE AUG 3 83 -----------------

Let's Go Crazy (5:29)
When You Were Mine (2:28)
A Case Of U (2:38)
Computer Blue (6:42)
Delirious (4:32)
Electric Intercourse (5:27)
Automatic (6:51)
I Would Die 4 U (2:12)
Baby I'm A Star (4:51)
Little Red Corvette (4:02)
Interlude (1:17)
Purple Rain (14:04)
DMSR (7:57)


-------------- AUGUST 83 -----------------

Let's Go Crazy [Special Dance Mix] (7:36)*
Computer Blue [#1] (14:02)
Purple Rain [String Overdub Session] (11:39)
Computer Blue [#2] (13:58)


-------------- SEPTEMBER 83 -----------------

Computer Blue [#3 “Hallway Speech” Version] (12:18)*
Baby I'm A Star [Rough Mix] (4:53)
Purple Rain [Unedited Studio Mix] (10:37)
I Would Die 4 U [Rough Mix] (3:21)
I Would Die 4 U / Baby I'm A Star (7:12)*
I Am Fine (0:51)
Irresistable Bitch (4:12)*
The Beautiful Ones [Unedited] (6:03)


-------------- THE TIME LIVE AT FIRST AVENUE OCT 4 83 -----------------

Introduction Jam (6:23)
777-9311 (5:43)
Girl (3:00)
Jungle Love (4:18)
Collection Time (3:01)
Wild And Loose (4:08)
Gigolos Get Lonely Too (8:57)
Cool (7:37)
The Walk (6:27)
The Bird (8:00)


-------------- OCTOBER - DECEMBER 83 -----------------

You're In My System [Instr.] (8:31)
Jill Jones - Wednesday (1:39)
Father's Song (5:30)*
Apollonia 6 - Sex Shooter [Remix] (6:56)*
Jill Jones - Mia Bocca (6:35)*
The Glamorous Life [Vocal] (8:08)
She's Always In My Hair [Alternate Mix] (6:28)


-------------- JANUARY 84 -----------------

We Can **** (10:17)*
The Time - The Bird [LP Version] (7:44)*
Sheila E. - Oliver's House (6:20)
17 Days [Extended] (7:23)
The Time - My Drawers (4:08)*
The Time - Tricky (3:16)*
White Girls Jam (27:10)
Ice Cream Castles [Instr.] (7:02)
The Time - Ice Cream Castles (7:31)*
Sheena Easton - Sugar Walls [Dance Mix] (7:01)*
Sheena Easton - Sugar Walls [Red Mix] (5:29)*
Take Me With U [Unedited] (4:56)


-------------- FEBRUARY 84 -----------------

Apollonia 6 - Some Kind Of Lover (4:46)*
A Million Miles [Vocal] (3:11)
Apollonia 6 - A Million Miles (5:56)*
Apollonia 6 - In A Spanish Villa (2:19)*
Apollonia 6 - Manic Monday (2:50)
Apollonia 6 - Ooo She She Wa Wa (4:11)*
God [Instrumental] [1984] (7:55)*
Father's Song [Film] (1:23)
Sheila E - The Glamorous Life Part II (3:12)*
Sheila E - Belle Of St Mark [LP Version] (5:07)*
Sheila E. - Shortberry Strawcake (4:47)*
Sheila E. - Noon Rendezvous (3:55)*
Another Lonely Christmas [Rehearsal] (13:36)
Another Lonely Christmas [Extended Version] (6:50)*
Pop Life [U.K. Extended Version] (9:04)*
Traffic Jam (4:25)
Love And Sex (5:00)*


-------------- MARCH 84 -----------------

When Doves Cry (5:52)*
Paisley Park Aka Joy [Instr.] (4:12)
Possessed [#2, Vocal] (7:56)*
Computer Blue [#4] (7:29)
Darling Nikki [Segued] (4:49)
Erotic City (7:26)*


-------------- APRIL - MAY 84 -----------------

Sheila E - Next Time Wipe The Lipstick Off Your Collar [Alternate Mix] (3:46)
Pop Life [Fresh Dance Mix] (6:19)*
Apollonia 6 - Blue Limousine (6:23)*
Possessed [Instr.] (7:47)
Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden (6:25)*


-------------- LIVE AT FIRST AVENUE JUNE 7 84 -----------------

17 Days (5:24)
Our Destiny (3:23)
Roadhouse Garden (4:45)
Interlude (1:20)
All Day, All Night (5:42)
Free (4:40)
Noon Rendezvous (9:02)
Erotic City (8:31)
Something In The Water (10:10)
When Doves Cry (11:37)
Happy Birthday Interlude (2:27)
Irresistible Bitch (6:07)
Possessed (5:48)


-------------- JUNE 84 -----------------

All Day, All Night [Vocal] (5:53)
Erotic City / Feline Jam (34:22)
The Screams Of Passion [Rehearsal] (8:50)
Bodyheat (1:36)
100 Mph [Vocal] (3:20)
Mazarati - 100 Mph (7:20)*


-------------- JULY 84 -----------------

Desire [Vocal] (5:17)
High Fashion [Vocal] (5:00)
Mutiny [Vocal] (3:58)
Susannah's Pajamas [Rough Mix] (4:00)
Nothing Compares 2 U [Vocal] (4:33)
Feline [Vocal] (3:54)
America (21:40)*


-------------- AUGUST 84 -----------------

Apollonia 6 - Happy Birthday, Mr Christian (7:09)*
The Family - River Run Dry (3:29)*
The Family - Yes [Early Mix/Edit] (4:25)
Too Rough (5:41)
The Family - Miss Understood (5:21)


-------------- LIVE AT FIRST AVENUE AUG 14 1984 -----------------

Let's Go Crazy (5:29)
Delirious (2:53)
1999 (5:11)
Little Red Corvette (3:13)
Computer Blue (6:24)
Darling Nikki (3:58)
The Beautiful Ones (5:51)
When Doves Cry (6:21)
Baby, I'm A Star (14:18)
Purple Rain (10:47)


-------------- AUGUST - SEPTEMBER 84 -----------------

Around The World In A Day [#1] (5:58)
The Dance Electric [#1] (11:29)*
The Screams Of Passion [Vocal] (5:31)
The Dance Electric [#2] (10:24)
God [Vocal] (4:02)*
The Dance Electric [#3] (11:37)
Sheila E - Too Sexy (5:09)*
Sheila E - The Belle Of St. Mark [Dance Mix] (7:42)*
Raspberry Beret (3:33)*
Paisley Park (4:42)*
Around The World In A Day [#2] (5:08)
Tamborine (2:47)*
Wonderful Ass [#2] (6:24)*


-------------- OCTOBER 84 -----------------

Condition Of The Heart (6:48)*
Raspberry Beret [12'' Version] (6:36)*
Paisley Park [Remix] (6:58)*
I Would Die 4 U [Jam Session For 12 Inch Single] (30:41)
The Ladder (5:29)*


-------------- NOVEMBER - DECEMBER 84 -----------------

I Would Die 4 U [U.S. Extended Version] (10:22)*
Baby I'm A Star [Live Promo, December '84] (14:56)
Temptation (8:18)*

----------------------------------------------------------

[Edited 2/9/18 5:52am]

Keep your headphones on.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/10/18 11:26am

rap

madhouseman said:

databank said:

I've devoured it in less than a week. It's an essential reading for any Prince fan nod

.

Don't just buy it for yourself: if you know other people who might be interested, make it a birthday or a christmas gift! Remember that the future of the series depends on the first book's success.

.

I wish there was a review on Popmatters. Duane, has your publisher sent them a copy?

No. I'll look into that. Thank you for the suggestion.

I recently came across a song called "The Get Down", what can you tell me about it??

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/10/18 9:18pm

udo

avatar

rap said:

madhouseman said:

No. I'll look into that. Thank you for the suggestion.

I recently came across a song called "The Get Down", what can you tell me about it??

.

I recently posted about this too and was referred to http://prince.org/msg/7/449528

Read a bit over there.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/10/18 10:33pm

rap

udo said:

rap said:

I recently came across a song called "The Get Down", what can you tell me about it??

.

I recently posted about this too and was referred to http://prince.org/msg/7/449528.

Read a bit over there.

In other words I should have orgnoted him??

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/11/18 6:05am

SonnyDJP

I've just finished reading this book. What an excellent read! Really interesting to read what was going on behind the scenes in this era. Especially as I was totally oblivious back then.. 14 years old, clutching my copy of When Doves Cry, scared that I wasn't going to be let in to my local cinema to see Purple Rain (My dad made sure I did, with a curt word to the enquiring manager, as he knew how much this film meant to me at the time!). Truly magical to read about the inception of such classics as the albums by The Family, Sheila E, Apollonia 6, Mazarati and The Time. Roll on the next book and more power to the author!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/11/18 12:31pm

LovePaisley

smokeverbs said:

I've been working on putting together a soundtrack to the book, something you can read the book to and be able to listen to the sessions and tracks as they appear chronologically in the book. I've changed and updated the tracklist and order a dozen times since the book came out. Most of the ~200 tracks detailed in the book are circulating and available, so this hasn't been an easy task. This is the latest revision.

Asterisk'd titles are from the official albums. Anything else is from the best circulating boots.

Tracks marked [Vocal] are Prince's original vocal versions of songs he gave to proteges.

For sources, I started with "The Work" and then systematically replaced any tracks that were upgrades from "Work It", "Box O'Chocolates", "30 Years of Unreleased Funk", "Perfect Unreleased Prince", "Parade Demos", "1993-94", "Closer 2 God", etc.



This has turned into a major project, and I would love input from the crowd here.


----- PRELUDES / JANUARY / FEBRUARY 83 -----

17 Days [Piano Demo '82] (6:38)
I Would Die 4 U [Rehearsal '82] (8:51)
Little Red Corvette [Dance Remix] (8:27)*
Vanity 6 - Drive Me Wild [Extended Mix] (7:08)*
Wonderful Ass [#1] (6:17)
Stevie Nicks - Stand Back (4:57)*


----- MARCH 83 -----
Katrina's Paper Dolls (3:30)*
Jesse Johnson - Jungle Love [Instr. Demo] (4:22)
The Time - Jungle Love (5:31)*
Cloreen Bacon Skin (15:37)*
The Time - My Summertime Thang [Short Version] (5:25)


----- APRIL 83 -----

The Time - The Bird [Studio] (6:29)
The Time - Chili Sauce (5:47)*
The Time - If The Kid Can't Make You Come [Unedited] (9:12)
Chocolate [Vocal] (5:52)
Velvet Kitty Cat (2:44)*
My Love Belongs To You [Instr.] (7:03)
Vanity 6 - Sex Shooter (6:53)


----- MAY - JULY 83 -----

Dez Dickerson - Modernaire (4:02)
Possessed [Version 1, Discarded] (8:46)
G-Spot [Vocal] (5:14)
Electric Intercourse [Studio] (4:57)*
Vanity 6 - Vibrator [Spoken Parts] (1:06)
Vanity 6 - Vibrator (7:13)
Learning Purple Rain (3:30)
Darling Nikki [Unedited] (4:15)


----- LIVE AT FIRST AVENUE AUG 3 83 -----

Let's Go Crazy (5:29)
When You Were Mine (2:28)
A Case Of U (2:38)
Computer Blue (6:42)
Delirious (4:32)
Electric Intercourse (5:27)
Automatic (6:51)
I Would Die 4 U (2:12)
Baby I'm A Star (4:51)
Little Red Corvette (4:02)
Interlude (1:17)
Purple Rain (14:04)
DMSR (7:57)


----- AUGUST 83 -----

Let's Go Crazy [Special Dance Mix] (7:36)*
Computer Blue [#1] (14:02)
Purple Rain [String Overdub Session] (11:39)
Computer Blue [#2] (13:58)


----- SEPTEMBER 83 -----

Computer Blue [#3 “Hallway Speech” Version] (12:18)*
Baby I'm A Star [Rough Mix] (4:53)
Purple Rain [Unedited Studio Mix] (10:37)
I Would Die 4 U [Rough Mix] (3:21)
I Would Die 4 U / Baby I'm A Star (7:12)*
I Am Fine (0:51)
Irresistable Bitch (4:12)*
The Beautiful Ones [Unedited] (6:03)


----- THE TIME LIVE AT FIRST AVENUE OCT 4 83 -----

Introduction Jam (6:23)
777-9311 (5:43)
Girl (3:00)
Jungle Love (4:18)
Collection Time (3:01)
Wild And Loose (4:08)
Gigolos Get Lonely Too (8:57)
Cool (7:37)
The Walk (6:27)
The Bird (8:00)


----- OCTOBER - DECEMBER 83 -----

You're In My System [Instr.] (8:31)
Jill Jones - Wednesday (1:39)
Father's Song (5:30)*
Apollonia 6 - Sex Shooter [Remix] (6:56)*
Jill Jones - Mia Bocca (6:35)*
The Glamorous Life [Vocal] (8:08)
She's Always In My Hair [Alternate Mix] (6:28)


----- JANUARY 84 -----

We Can **** (10:17)*
The Time - The Bird [LP Version] (7:44)*
Sheila E. - Oliver's House (6:20)
17 Days [Extended] (7:23)
The Time - My Drawers (4:08)*
The Time - Tricky (3:16)*
White Girls Jam (27:10)
Ice Cream Castles [Instr.] (7:02)
The Time - Ice Cream Castles (7:31)*
Sheena Easton - Sugar Walls [Dance Mix] (7:01)*
Sheena Easton - Sugar Walls [Red Mix] (5:29)*
Take Me With U [Unedited] (4:56)


----- FEBRUARY 84 -----

Apollonia 6 - Some Kind Of Lover (4:46)*
A Million Miles [Vocal] (3:11)
Apollonia 6 - A Million Miles (5:56)*
Apollonia 6 - In A Spanish Villa (2:19)*
Apollonia 6 - Manic Monday (2:50)
Apollonia 6 - Ooo She She Wa Wa (4:11)*
God [Instrumental] [1984] (7:55)*
Father's Song [Film] (1:23)
Sheila E - The Glamorous Life Part II (3:12)*
Sheila E - Belle Of St Mark [LP Version] (5:07)*
Sheila E. - Shortberry Strawcake (4:47)*
Sheila E. - Noon Rendezvous (3:55)*
Another Lonely Christmas [Rehearsal] (13:36)
Another Lonely Christmas [Extended Version] (6:50)*
Pop Life [U.K. Extended Version] (9:04)*
Traffic Jam (4:25)
Love And Sex (5:00)*


----- MARCH 84 -----

When Doves Cry (5:52)*
Paisley Park Aka Joy [Instr.] (4:12)
Possessed [#2, Vocal] (7:56)*
Computer Blue [#4] (7:29)
Darling Nikki [Segued] (4:49)
Erotic City (7:26)*


----- APRIL - MAY 84 -----

Sheila E - Next Time Wipe The Lipstick Off Your Collar [Alternate Mix] (3:46)
Pop Life [Fresh Dance Mix] (6:19)*
Apollonia 6 - Blue Limousine (6:23)*
Possessed [Instr.] (7:47)
Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden (6:25)*


----- LIVE AT FIRST AVENUE JUNE 7 84 -----

17 Days (5:24)
Our Destiny (3:23)
Roadhouse Garden (4:45)
Interlude (1:20)
All Day, All Night (5:42)
Free (4:40)
Noon Rendezvous (9:02)
Erotic City (8:31)
Something In The Water (10:10)
When Doves Cry (11:37)
Happy Birthday Interlude (2:27)
Irresistible Bitch (6:07)
Possessed (5:48)


----- JUNE 84 -----

All Day, All Night [Vocal] (5:53)
Erotic City / Feline Jam (34:22)
The Screams Of Passion [Rehearsal] (8:50)
Bodyheat (1:36)
100 Mph [Vocal] (3:20)
Mazarati - 100 Mph (7:20)*


----- JULY 84 -----

Desire [Vocal] (5:17)
High Fashion [Vocal] (5:00)
Mutiny [Vocal] (3:58)
Susannah's Pajamas [Rough Mix] (4:00)
Nothing Compares 2 U [Vocal] (4:33)
Feline [Vocal] (3:54)
America (21:40)*


----- AUGUST 84 -----

Apollonia 6 - Happy Birthday, Mr Christian (7:09)*
The Family - River Run Dry (3:29)*
The Family - Yes [Early Mix/Edit] (4:25)
Too Rough (5:41)
The Family - Miss Understood (5:21)


----- LIVE AT FIRST AVENUE AUG 14 1984 -----

Let's Go Crazy (5:29)
Delirious (2:53)
1999 (5:11)
Little Red Corvette (3:13)
Computer Blue (6:24)
Darling Nikki (3:58)
The Beautiful Ones (5:51)
When Doves Cry (6:21)
Baby, I'm A Star (14:18)
Purple Rain (10:47)


----- AUGUST - SEPTEMBER 84 -----

Around The World In A Day [#1] (5:58)
The Dance Electric [#1] (11:29)*
The Screams Of Passion [Vocal] (5:31)
The Dance Electric [#2] (10:24)
God [Vocal] (4:02)*
The Dance Electric [#3] (11:37)
Sheila E - Too Sexy (5:09)*
Sheila E - The Belle Of St. Mark [Dance Mix] (7:42)*
Raspberry Beret (3:33)*
Paisley Park (4:42)*
Around The World In A Day [#2] (5:08)
Tamborine (2:47)*
Wonderful Ass [#2] (6:24)*


----- OCTOBER 84 -----

Condition Of The Heart (6:48)*
Raspberry Beret [12'' Version] (6:36)*
Paisley Park [Remix] (6:58)*
I Would Die 4 U [Jam Session For 12 Inch Single] (30:41)
The Ladder (5:29)*


----- NOVEMBER - DECEMBER 84 -----

I Would Die 4 U [U.S. Extended Version] (10:22)*
Baby I'm A Star [Live Promo, December '84] (14:56)
Temptation (8:18)*

-----




[Edited 2/9/18 5:52am]



Yes! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I want to do exactly this and set up my playlists in advance to listen while I read. In fact, I've been saving the book until I do that and can read it properly.

Off to build!


hammer music
And the MUSIC continues...forever...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/11/18 12:33pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

smokeverbs said:

I've been working on putting together a soundtrack to the book, something you can read the book to and be able to listen to the sessions and tracks as they appear chronologically in the book. I've changed and updated the tracklist and order a dozen times since the book came out. Most of the ~200 tracks detailed in the book are circulating and available, so this hasn't been an easy task. This is the latest revision.

Asterisk'd titles are from the official albums. Anything else is from the best circulating boots.

Tracks marked [Vocal] are Prince's original vocal versions of songs he gave to proteges.

For sources, I started with "The Work" and then systematically replaced any tracks that were upgrades from "Work It", "Box O'Chocolates", "30 Years of Unreleased Funk", "Perfect Unreleased Prince", "Parade Demos", "1993-94", "Closer 2 God", etc.

This has turned into a major project, and I would love input from the crowd here.


Very cool! cool

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/14/18 5:17pm

luvsexy4all

what 1st avenue shows r not soundboard??

we have 82/ 83/ 84 (2)/ 86/ 87

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 02/15/18 3:43pm

luvsexy4all

what is the source for the recording dates for the "1986 a year in the studio " bootleg discs?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 02/16/18 4:46am

smokeverbs

avatar

The files in the 1986 set are clearly labelled with their sources.

Keep your headphones on.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 02/16/18 9:15pm

PeteSilas

Militant said:

If anyone's interested, I just did an interview with Duane.




We discussed how his research began, his process of compiling the research into a book, his "Holy Grails" of unreleased songs, the possibility of more books, and a whole lot more!

very good, makes me want to get the book, i don't think i've gotten a single book on P post-death.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 02/17/18 2:15am

smokeverbs

avatar

That was a Fantastic interview.

Keep your headphones on.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 02/17/18 7:20am

djThunderfunk

avatar

PeteSilas said:

Militant said:

If anyone's interested, I just did an interview with Duane.




We discussed how his research began, his process of compiling the research into a book, his "Holy Grails" of unreleased songs, the possibility of more books, and a whole lot more!

very good, makes me want to get the book, i don't think i've gotten a single book on P post-death.


If you buy only one book on Prince, this is the one! wink

Get it now before it's out of print and goes for big $ like The Vault.

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/02/18 9:49am

djThunderfunk

avatar

I've read 2 other recent books on Prince in the month and a half or so since I finished Tudahl's.
Alex Hahn's Rise Of Prince and Steve Parke's Picturing Prince. I liked Hahn's more than I thought I would, but, no where near as much as his previous release, Possessed. Parke's was fantastic, I highly recommend it. Next up, I'm going to give Mick Wall's Purple Reign a go. I don't expect anything other than the cash grab it appears to be, but, I picked it up cheap at a Half Price Books, so, it's cool. cool cool

Looking over my bookshelf, that makes 26 books in my Prince collection, and there are more than a few that I still don't have. I still say Prince And The Purple Rain Era Studio Sessions is right up there at the top!

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/09/18 11:27am

fortuneandsere
ndipity

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

I've read 2 other recent books on Prince in the month and a half or so since I finished Tudahl's.
Alex Hahn's Rise Of Prince and Steve Parke's Picturing Prince. I liked Hahn's more than I thought I would, but, no where near as much as his previous release, Possessed. Parke's was fantastic, I highly recommend it. Next up, I'm going to give Mick Wall's Purple Reign a go. I don't expect anything other than the cash grab it appears to be, but, I picked it up cheap at a Half Price Books, so, it's cool. cool cool

Looking over my bookshelf, that makes 26 books in my Prince collection, and there are more than a few that I still don't have. I still say Prince And The Purple Rain Era Studio Sessions is right up there at the top!

You go Thunderfuck! cool cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/15/18 9:47am

djThunderfunk

avatar

fortuneandserendipity said:

djThunderfunk said:

I've read 2 other recent books on Prince in the month and a half or so since I finished Tudahl's.
Alex Hahn's Rise Of Prince and Steve Parke's Picturing Prince. I liked Hahn's more than I thought I would, but, no where near as much as his previous release, Possessed. Parke's was fantastic, I highly recommend it. Next up, I'm going to give Mick Wall's Purple Reign a go. I don't expect anything other than the cash grab it appears to be, but, I picked it up cheap at a Half Price Books, so, it's cool. cool cool

Looking over my bookshelf, that makes 26 books in my Prince collection, and there are more than a few that I still don't have. I still say Prince And The Purple Rain Era Studio Sessions is right up there at the top!

You go Thunderfuck! cool cool


lol

It's been almost 2 weeks and I'm only 22 pages in to Mick Wall's book. It's so bad, cliche, poorly researched, factually inaccurate... I just can't.

Why waste time on trash when they're are fantastic books like Tudahl's! wink

[Edited 3/15/18 9:49am]

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince and the purple rain era studio sessions (book discussion part 2)