independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 22nd Nov 2019 2:30am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Saddest lines in Prince songs
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 01/02/18 7:12pm

214

sulls said:

People say they love U and they wanna help

but how can they when U can't help Urself?

The more they say they love U

the more U just wanna die

The two last lines are especially hurtful.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 01/02/18 7:12pm

214

geetee71 said:

sulls said:

People say they love U and they wanna help

but how can they when U can't help Urself?

The more they say they love U

the more U just wanna die

.

Pretty much all of the The Holy River gets to me whenever I listen to it. Although the emotion in the lyrics are mostly very hopeful it's the sense of regret of the life that's been led up until that point that really hits hard.

.

"So I went on down 2 the holy river

I called my girl and told her I had something 2 give her

I asked her 2 marry me and she said yes, I cried

Oh, that night I drowned in her tears and mine

And.. and instead of a glass of sorrow and wine

Looking back y'all, I don't miss nothing except the time"

.

I get similar feeling when I hear this part of The Breakdown:

.

"I used to throw the party at the New Year's Eve

First one intoxicated, last one to leave

Waking up in places that you would never believe

Give me back the time, you can keep the memories"

.

This last line is great.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 01/02/18 7:13pm

214

Anthoknee said:

"Some things are better left unsaid, some people are better left untrusted. Maybe, maybe...maybe it'll all make sense, when I'm dead....when I'm dead...." Quite possibly the saddest words ever written, and the WAY he sang them with such chilling finality...kills me everytime...

Old Friend 4 Sale, the whole song is quite sad.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 01/02/18 7:14pm

214

RJOrion said:

I called an old friend of mine just the other day
No congratulations, no respect paid
All she did was wonder if the rumors were true
I said - "No, I ain't dead yet, but uh.. what about U?"
I can count my friends with a peace sign: 1, 2
It was Sunday night, instead of doing what I usually do I..

I scan my computer looking 4 a site
Somebody 2 talk 2, funny and bright
I scan my computer looking 4 a site
Make believe it's a better world, a better life

My Computer about loneliness and isolation.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 01/03/18 5:59pm

cloveringold85

avatar

There are so many, but this song always gets me choked-up......

.

I remember meeting you here in the good ole' days
I would never pick the flower of my favorite protege
Maybe if I would have
Then you would not treat me this way
You tricked me - but you will not anymore........

.......I love you, but I don't trust you anymore..... sad sad

......the melody is so very sad.


"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 01/03/18 6:11pm

lonelyalien

Sweet wind blew
Not a moment 2 soon I cried when I realized
That sweet wind was U
(about his son I believe)

I'm just like everybody else I need love.....and water.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 01/04/18 2:57pm

khemseraph

All the flowers that you planted mama in the backyard all died when you went away
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 01/04/18 3:34pm

cloveringold85

avatar

lonelyalien said:

Sweet wind blew
Not a moment 2 soon I cried when I realized
That sweet wind was U
(about his son I believe)

.

sad

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 01/05/18 7:06am

Nightcrawler

I could tell from the moment U walked in the room
That it wasn't your dress U had on
That wasn't your perfume
And what happened 2 the ring that I gave U?
What am I 2 assume?
I love U, but I don't trust U anymore

U could tell from the moment U looked in my eyes
That I could see right through U
U must apologize
I've always given U the best in life
Even in the wrong, it was right
I know U trust me, but U don't love me anymore, no no


I remember meeting U here in the good ol' days
I would never pick the flower of my favorite prot'g'
Maybe if I would have
Then U would not treat me this way
U tricked me, but U will not anymore, no no
I love U, but I don't trust U anymore

Just like the sun, the rainbow children rise...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 01/05/18 7:10am

darkroman

All good things they say, never last

And love, it isn't love until it's past…



That's BIG! lol lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 01/05/18 10:50am

PliablyPurple

Come back Nikki, come back!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 01/05/18 3:16pm

Telecaster5

avatar

But don't u have 2 have a heart 1st b4 u get it broken?

Don't u have 2 wanna tell the truth b4 a word is spoken?

So what about the heartbreak? Everybody's had one c

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 01/05/18 4:02pm

214

darkroman said:

All good things they say, never last

And love, it isn't love until it's past…



That's BIG! lol lol lol

sad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 01/05/18 5:32pm

bonatoc

avatar

Quick, would someone please open a "Most uplifting lines in Prince songs"?
This one keeps breaking me down, down, down...

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 01/06/18 7:07am

benjaminwillia
misaac

'Those kinds of cars don't pass you every day'.

Makes me reflect on myself and on my friends, and evokes sadness when I think of what it would be like to lose a close friend.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 01/07/18 12:10pm

laytonian

Still it's nice to know that uh, when bodies wear out
We can get another
What does that one thing have to do with the other one?
Eye don't know
Eye was just thinking about my mother
.
CONTEXT: his mother's kidney transplant.
.
Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 01/07/18 12:12pm

laytonian

214 said:



geetee71 said:




sulls said:


People say they love U and they wanna help


but how can they when U can't help Urself?


The more they say they love U


the more U just wanna die



.


Pretty much all of the The Holy River gets to me whenever I listen to it. Although the emotion in the lyrics are mostly very hopeful it's the sense of regret of the life that's been led up until that point that really hits hard.


.


"So I went on down 2 the holy river


I called my girl and told her I had something 2 give her


I asked her 2 marry me and she said yes, I cried


Oh, that night I drowned in her tears and mine


And.. and instead of a glass of sorrow and wine


Looking back y'all, I don't miss nothing except the time"


.


I get similar feeling when I hear this part of The Breakdown:


.


"I used to throw the party at the New Year's Eve


First one intoxicated, last one to leave


Waking up in places that you would never believe


Give me back the time, you can keep the memories"


.



This last line is great.



As much as he talked about The Dawn, his biggest fear was death. All of his life.
Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 01/07/18 1:25pm

214

laytonian said:

Still it's nice to know that uh, when bodies wear out We can get another What does that one thing have to do with the other one? Eye don't know Eye was just thinking about my mother . CONTEXT: his mother's kidney transplant. .

Could have been that or resurrection.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Saddest lines in Prince songs