independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 25th Jun 2019 1:35am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > We Can Fu*k: What's your favourite version?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/30/17 11:36am

NorthC

We Can Fu*k: What's your favourite version?

With the original version on Purple Rain Deluxe out now, I think we can make a comparison. My favourite is still the 1986 version with Eric and Miko on it. It funks harder and is sexier than any other version. And...for some reason the versions I have on a Thunderball CD from the 90s (the one I mentioned above and a GB outtake with George Clinton on it) sound much better than the PR Deluxe version. What is this world coming to when 20 year old bootleg CDs blast out of your speakers harder and give a clearer sound than official CDs?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/30/17 11:40am

rusty1

1986 version hands down
" Mico"
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/30/17 12:17pm

Silvertongue7

The 86 version is probably my favourite too, but the Deluxe version is also amazing, and so different that I'm really glad we have it. I quite like Andy Allo's take, but I'm don't love the one in GB, amongst other things because it ruins the beginning of Joy in Repetition.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/30/17 12:26pm

PacManPlus

The '86 version...

By a MILE.

That whole 'album'... DataBank, Girl Of My Dreams, I Can't Stop, We Can Funk (there's one side already) should be released as a stand-alone album.

[Edited 6/30/17 12:29pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/30/17 12:31pm

daniorU

avatar

The 1983 version by a mile.
"We are the New Power Generation,and so are U!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/30/17 12:35pm

funkaholic1972

avatar

I prefer the 1983 version over the 1990 version by far!! I don't think I have heard the 1986 version and can't seem to find it on Youtube unfortunately.

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/30/17 12:38pm

emesem

Still have to go with 86 "Miko" version as it has this simmering intensity and passionate vibe but I gotta say the 83 version is really growing on me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/30/17 1:13pm

dodger

Easily 86 one for me.
Never really cared for GB version but I really like this PR Deluxe version.
Also love Andy's Oui Can Luv.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/30/17 1:20pm

fabriziovenera
ndi

avatar

1986

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/30/17 1:23pm

dance4me3121

Purple Rain deluxe version
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/30/17 1:57pm

Romeoblu

I really like all versions, but the 1983 version wins for me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/30/17 3:38pm

Poplife88

avatar

86 but 83 is great too.
We're gonna need a bigger boat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/30/17 3:47pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

The 83 version, especially after the first 4 minutes.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/30/17 3:56pm

ThirdStrike

avatar

It's really not even close. Forget the mile. Forget a thousand miles. It's not even in the same universe. 1983 version. It's just filthy. Perfect Prince...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/30/17 4:04pm

Ramzoo

avatar

Good question! I would say the 86' version but for the 83' version my best part so far is the spoken one:

"Yes, I love you
I know it sounds strange, but I do
I do"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/30/17 4:07pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

The 83 version is almost a song of two halves.

The second part is very reminiscent of 'Girl' in some ways.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/30/17 4:08pm

imprimis

'We Can Funk (30 Years)' (bootlegger attribution), perhaps the best currently circulating representation of this material. It would be immaculate if the added instrumental suite section were tacked on and most of the pillow talk muted. Improved mix, Linndrum added, etc., pre-Cinderella Theory/Graffiti Bridge. The beneficiary of many small refinements between 1983 and 1986.

.

[Edited 6/30/17 16:12pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/30/17 4:32pm

herb4

avatar

I like all of them that I've heard but the one the PR Deluxe edition absolutely fucking crushes and adds something different to it I didn't expect. It's hard to pick a favorite amongst the versions for a song that, at its core, is so raw, thick, funky, layered and great and damned near impossible to fuck up.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/30/17 4:44pm

LEATHRSAIL

avatar

So the first time I heard this song was on a vinyl bootleg called the Chocolate Box. It was 3 or 4 albums. It started with "Can't Stop This feeling I got" went into "Girl Of My Dreams" and then "We Can Funk". I fell in love with this song from the first note. So when GB was released and We Can Funk was on this album, me and my friends were dying! CLEAN COPY OF THIS! WOO HOO! When we played this song and George was singing about peeing in a cup we were pissed! (pun intended) What is this crap!? and on top of it the song ran into Joy In Repetition and ruined the beginning of that song too that we were waiting with baited breath. (It was on the same bootleg) Needless to say we were not happy with GB. But when I listened to the GB version I could swear I was hearing W&L backing vocals on this. But it wasn't in the liner notes. Now that the new Purple Rain version just came out you can now hear that the just released version was the base for the GB version. And I was right about the backing vocals.... We also now know they also played too and not credited. My fear is now that we have this version that the 1986 version wont be released. So the 1986 version #1!!! the new Purple Rain Version #2, happy to have it. The GB version.... should have never been released.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/30/17 5:41pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

I know they are connected, and I love how songs morph into something different.
But I do look at We Can Fuck seperately from We Can Funk

.

I love the full band 1986 We Can Funk much more than the noisy George Clinton version, but the thing that helps it is the JJ Lisa Wendy ahhhh ah ahhhh additions

.

I love the We Can Fuck has that steamy 1999/Purple Rain neon lights dark alley streets silk sheets feel

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/30/17 5:42pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

SquirrelMeat said:

The 83 version is almost a song of two halves.

The second part is very reminiscent of 'Girl' in some ways.

Yes, I was hearing/thinking the same thing... "that part sound like Girl"

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/30/17 6:22pm

imprimis

OldFriends4Sale said:

SquirrelMeat said:

The 83 version is almost a song of two halves.

The second part is very reminiscent of 'Girl' in some ways.

Yes, I was hearing/thinking the same thing... "that part sound like Girl"

.

Also very reminiscent of the audience interplay with 'International Lover' on the 1999 Tour.

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/30/17 6:45pm

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

I like all the incarnations. 83 is the best to me. His background ah-ah's after the "see this gold chain around my waste" part are so insane! 86 is a little too slow for my liking. 90 sounds a little too clean but is still great.

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/30/17 6:56pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

imprimis said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Yes, I was hearing/thinking the same thing... "that part sound like Girl"

.

Also very reminiscent of the audience interplay with 'International Lover' on the 1999 Tour.

.


Which, if you think about dates, gives us a much greater insight into Prince's growth. 'Girl' was layed down in mid/late 82, then we had the ongoing 1999 tour, then we had 'We can fuck' at the end of 83.

It's not dis-simular to the way that the 'god' moments of the Purple Rain tour found their way onto 'Temptation'.

Of course, underneath all of this is one common theme....love Vs sex...love Vs sex...love Vs sex.

And who said Prince was inconsistent! lol

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/30/17 7:32pm

motherfunka

ThirdStrike said:

It's really not even close. Forget the mile. Forget a thousand miles. It's not even in the same universe. 1983 version. It's just filthy. Perfect Prince...

yeahthat

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/01/17 12:07am

Lovejunky

avatar

herb4 said:

I like all of them that I've heard but the one the PR Deluxe edition absolutely fucking crushes and adds something different to it I didn't expect. It's hard to pick a favorite amongst the versions for a song that, at its core, is so raw, thick, funky, layered and great and damned near impossible to fuck up.

co sign

Ive said it before and Ill say it again

I LOVE THe FUKIYT FUKUK OUT OF THIS VERSION.. razz

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/01/17 1:48am

teiemka

LEATHRSAIL said:

So the first time I heard this song was on a vinyl bootleg called the Chocolate Box. It was 3 or 4 albums. It started with "Can't Stop This feeling I got" went into "Girl Of My Dreams" and then "We Can Funk". I fell in love with this song from the first note. So when GB was released and We Can Funk was on this album, me and my friends were dying! CLEAN COPY OF THIS! WOO HOO! When we played this song and George was singing about peeing in a cup we were pissed! (pun intended) What is this crap!? and on top of it the song ran into Joy In Repetition and ruined the beginning of that song too that we were waiting with baited breath. (It was on the same bootleg) Needless to say we were not happy with GB. But when I listened to the GB version I could swear I was hearing W&L backing vocals on this. But it wasn't in the liner notes. Now that the new Purple Rain version just came out you can now hear that the just released version was the base for the GB version. And I was right about the backing vocals.... We also now know they also played too and not credited. My fear is now that we have this version that the 1986 version wont be released. So the 1986 version #1!!! the new Purple Rain Version #2, happy to have it. The GB version.... should have never been released.



yeahthat
You have expressed word for word my experience regarding this song. BOC was the first bootleg I ever bought, and being naive as f*ck payed way over the top hundreds for it.....in 1989. :nutso:

The anticipation for GB to listen to a pristine version and the sheer WTF when hearing what actually made it onto the album. George Clinton on the album version not only has no value add but detracts to the point that the song is almost skippable. We Can F*ck has been a most pleasant unexpected surprise, but remains for me Number 2 after the 86 version and not because I have to amortise the cost after all these years.

Can't Stop This Feeling I Got on GB was also a disappointment for me, it just doesn't seem to kick enough was expecting more punkish.

NorthC said:

And...for some reason the versions I have on a Thunderball CD from the 90s (the one I mentioned above and a GB outtake with George Clinton on it) sound much better than the PR Deluxe version.


Could you please provide the title?

imprimis said:

'We Can Funk (30 Years)' (bootlegger attribution), perhaps the best currently circulating representation of this material. It would be immaculate if the added instrumental suite section were tacked on and most of the pillow talk muted. Improved mix, Linndrum added, etc., pre-Cinderella Theory/Graffiti Bridge. The beneficiary of many small refinements between 1983 and 1986.


.

[Edited 6/30/17 16:12pm]



Deferring to his excellency imprimis, is this version available on any bootleg or just shared amongst the elite?
Prince is a musician not a lifestyle.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/01/17 4:11am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

Speaking of We Can Fuck, who do we think he's talking to during the last half? Vanity was gone. Jill was around singing back-up. Was he speaking to her? hmmm

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/01/17 4:27am

Guitarhero

PR version

86 version

90 version

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/01/17 5:15am

Cloudbuster

avatar

The one with the most fucking in it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > We Can Fu*k: What's your favourite version?