independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 12th Dec 2019 2:02pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince song poll: Results!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 04/21/17 8:41pm

Adorecream

Best off each Studio album - Not including Bsides

.

For You - Soft and Wet, 127

Prince - I wanna be your lover, 19

Dirty Mind - Dirty Mind, 29

Controversy - Controversy, 18

1999 - 1999, 7 (Although 3 songs made the Top 10)

Purple Rain - Let's Go Crazy, 5 (Although Bside Erotic City got to #3)

ATWIAD - Raspberry Beret, 4

Parade - Girls and Boys, 8

Sign o the Times - If I was ur girlfriend, 1st place

Black Album - When 2 R in Love, 94

Lovesexy - Annastesia, 24

Batman - Electric Chair, 95

Graffiti Bridge - Question of U, 15

D & P - Gett Off, 25

Symbol - 7, 51 (Sexy MF also landed in the 50s)

Come - Come, 65

The Gold Experience - Eye Hate U, 54

Chaos and Disorder - I like it there, 247

Emancipation - In this bed eye scream, 164 (The love we make 173)

Truth - Don't Play Me 193

Crystal Ball - Prince Era (80s), Crystal Ball 38

Symbol era(mid 90s) - Dyas of Wild 45

New Power Soul - The One, 96

The Vault OF4S - OF4S, 158

Rave - Eye love u....anymore, 170

The Rainbow children - Last December, 115

Musicology - Musicology, 130

3121 - Black sweat, 132

Planet Earth - Guitar, 271 (Only 2 songs made Hot365)

Lotuflow3r - Dreamer, 128

Mplsound - Dance 4 Me, 241

20 Ten - Act of God, 364 (2nd lowest place and only song that made it, very sad Futuresoulsong failed the chart completely)

Plectrumelectrum - Anotherlove, 192

Art official Age - Way back home, 71

HnR Phase 1 - 1000 X's and O's, 176

HnR Phase 2 - Black Muse 263

[Edited 4/21/17 20:42pm]

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 04/23/17 11:06am

TheFman

If I didn't have to wait 5 days after registration, who knows why, before being able to post something, I could have participated and that would mean that the top 3 would have been different.

SOTT is in my top 5
Erotic City in my top 10
IIWYGF nowhere in my top 100

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 04/23/17 1:18pm

214

Adorecream said:

It is really good that Purple Rain tracks did not land at #1 and #2, and that the two best jams off Sign o the Times after Adore did. If I was ur girlfriend is a perfect favourite, it sums up the mysterious genius Prince was, the gender bending imagery and quirky lyrics work and it has the Prince elements, Funk, spartsity, sex, sillyness, gender bending and some filthy lyrics (I'll drink it down there where it cums).

.

You can say Camille got the better of Prince, as its a Camille track that ended up on SOTT. The 2nd placed song is fully Prince and easily his most serious, thoughtful lyrics about the world being a mess ruined by AIDS, drug abuse, gangsters, fucked priorities, war, death and finally sex is a solution, so Prince and we have some incredible guitars and synths in it, along with his voice.

.

Just loved it, thanks for the ride.

You couldn't have said it better.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 04/23/17 1:21pm

214

TheFman said:

If I didn't have to wait 5 days after registration, who knows why, before being able to post something, I could have participated and that would mean that the top 3 would have been different.

SOTT is in my top 5
Erotic City in my top 10
IIWYGF nowhere in my top 100

Why is that, what a crime.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 04/23/17 5:01pm

Adorecream

Different strokes for different folks. If I was ur girlfriend is designed for the more serious and sophisticated fan, whereas Purple Rain is for the more generalist fan.

.

The poll is interesting as it was only 39 fans, but virtually all were super hardcore fans and unlike all other polls, it asked for people to rate as many songs as they liked. In some cases, you could vote for as many as 1423 songs and at least 1202 songs got a ranking and mark from 1 to 1202.

.

Even a standard poll just of his Studio album songs, would top out at just 500 or so songs, the other 900 are live versions, unreleased, satellite songs, songs for others and bootleg jams. Also interesting is the trends here and between conventional American polls.

.

Most American polls have Purple Rain on top and Purple Rain singles at #1, here they were #5 and #6 and Erotic City got to #3. The Poor placing of The Rainbow Children and its tracks overall (It got 36th out of 41 albums) also shows how Australia/NZ where many of the poll contributors are from value secularism over the extreme religiousness of the USA. Europeans and Oceanic (White, not Brown who are all churchified) are not turned on by bigotted Christianity that Prince subscribed too.

If anything it is interesting, as The Rainbow children finishes near the top in most American led polls. Being a High IQ, gay, socialist and atheist person, I consider TRC the musical equivalent of the Koran and ISIS.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 04/23/17 9:07pm

gandorb

Adorecream said:

Different strokes for different folks. If I was ur girlfriend is designed for the more serious and sophisticated fan, whereas Purple Rain is for the more generalist fan.

.

The poll is interesting as it was only 39 fans, but virtually all were super hardcore fans and unlike all other polls, it asked for people to rate as many songs as they liked. In some cases, you could vote for as many as 1423 songs and at least 1202 songs got a ranking and mark from 1 to 1202.

.

Even a standard poll just of his Studio album songs, would top out at just 500 or so songs, the other 900 are live versions, unreleased, satellite songs, songs for others and bootleg jams. Also interesting is the trends here and between conventional American polls.

.

Most American polls have Purple Rain on top and Purple Rain singles at #1, here they were #5 and #6 and Erotic City got to #3. The Poor placing of The Rainbow Children and its tracks overall (It got 36th out of 41 albums) also shows how Australia/NZ where many of the poll contributors are from value secularism over the extreme religiousness of the USA. Europeans and Oceanic (White, not Brown who are all churchified) are not turned on by bigotted Christianity that Prince subscribed too.

If anything it is interesting, as The Rainbow children finishes near the top in most American led polls. Being a High IQ, gay, socialist and atheist person, I consider TRC the musical equivalent of the Koran and ISIS.

What is your source for TRC scoring high on American polls? I've never seen one like that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 04/24/17 1:58am

bobsteezy

avatar

Good stuff Moonbeam!

We all want the stuff that's found in our wildest dreams.

http://www.ustream.tv/cha...dj-bobstar
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 04/24/17 12:49pm

sexton

avatar

39 voters and not one song appeared on all 39 ballots? So there are two voters whose favorite songs are all unpopular tracks. Is that right?

I never would have guessed the highest-ranking song from Parade would be "Girls and Boys" in the top ten.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 04/24/17 2:55pm

gandorb

sexton said:

39 voters and not one song appeared on all 39 ballots? So there are two voters whose favorite songs are all unpopular tracks. Is that right?

I never would have guessed the highest-ranking song from Parade would be "Girls and Boys" in the top ten.

Not necessarily. The instructions had nothing to so with voting for your favorites. Instead, you were asked to rate the songs from a very long list of songs (the vault list?), It could be some people skipped certain songs for a variety of reasons (didn't know or recognize it, didn't see it due to the very long list, didn't have a strong enough opinion about the song, etc). By the way, Boys & Girls surprised me to but not in a bad way.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 04/24/17 6:06pm

sexton

avatar

gandorb said:

sexton said:

39 voters and not one song appeared on all 39 ballots? So there are two voters whose favorite songs are all unpopular tracks. Is that right?

I never would have guessed the highest-ranking song from Parade would be "Girls and Boys" in the top ten.

Not necessarily. The instructions had nothing to so with voting for your favorites. Instead, you were asked to rate the songs from a very long list of songs (the vault list?), It could be some people skipped certain songs for a variety of reasons (didn't know or recognize it, didn't see it due to the very long list, didn't have a strong enough opinion about the song, etc). By the way, Boys & Girls surprised me to but not in a bad way.


None of the excuses you have presented sounds plausible. What fan does not know or recognize "1999", "When Doves Cry", "Let's Go Crazy" and "Raspberry Beret" or doesn't have a strong enough opinion about them? Even skimming through the very long list quickly, it should dawn on voters to give Prince's biggest hits ratings if they didn't see them.

That's why I said maybe they interpreted the rules differently and only voted for their favorites which are obscure/more recent songs.

The only other explanation I can think of is two voters (the same two I bet) purposely left these top ten songs without ratings as some kind of protest against (in their opinions) overrated and overplayed tracks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 04/24/17 6:26pm

Adorecream

sexton said:

gandorb said:

Not necessarily. The instructions had nothing to so with voting for your favorites. Instead, you were asked to rate the songs from a very long list of songs (the vault list?), It could be some people skipped certain songs for a variety of reasons (didn't know or recognize it, didn't see it due to the very long list, didn't have a strong enough opinion about the song, etc). By the way, Boys & Girls surprised me to but not in a bad way.


None of the excuses you have presented sounds plausible. What fan does not know or recognize "1999", "When Doves Cry", "Let's Go Crazy" and "Raspberry Beret" or doesn't have a strong enough opinion about them? Even skimming through the very long list quickly, it should dawn on voters to give Prince's biggest hits ratings if they didn't see them.

That's why I said maybe they interpreted the rules differently and only voted for their favorites which are obscure/more recent songs.

The only other explanation I can think of is two voters (the same two I bet) purposely left these top ten songs without ratings as some kind of protest against (in their opinions) overrated and overplayed tracks.

There are many reasons for the above.

1. You get mavericks who vote for only a few obscure songs

2. People who enter invalid and inappropriate responses, one voter could have been a bozo who wrote "I like it" or "this sux". prince fans cover the whole IQ spectrum. The list was comprehensive and included many alternative versions and bootleg versions of some songs. Simple people with IQs of under 80 may have got confused here.

3. Some people may not have given certain songs, marks if they knew they were going to do well anyway.

4. Not every fan, has every album and you may have some voters who only have a few recent albums and can't be bothered with 80s classics.

5. This was an international poll, and some pollsters may be from countries where Prince has only been known since say 1990 (Eg communist countries, where western rock music was banned until recently and South Africa which was a closed state until 1989). You may have Leninwong de kommunista from Kyrgyzstan whose first Prince album was diamonds and pearls and the Muhammad al katstevens mullahs who run their country ban his 80s stuff as its too sexual.

6. Moonbeam is now living in Australia and many Pollsters came from Australia and New Zealand where 1999 and WDC were not #1 but only Top 10 hits, whilst the SOTT - Symbol era songs were more successful here, in NZ my country Alphabet Street was a #1 hit.

.

Your points are invalid

1. You insult the integrity of the poll, if you think it is so bad, why don't you do one instead and realise the hard work that goes into it.

2. You are pissed off because 39 people out of 39 did not vote for1999 and Purple Rain as #1 and you assume Kiss must be the best song off Parade because its the most well known, or Mountains as its a fan favourite.

3. People are diffrent and don't have the hive mind you force on them.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 04/24/17 6:43pm

sexton

avatar

Adorecream said:

sexton said:


None of the excuses you have presented sounds plausible. What fan does not know or recognize "1999", "When Doves Cry", "Let's Go Crazy" and "Raspberry Beret" or doesn't have a strong enough opinion about them? Even skimming through the very long list quickly, it should dawn on voters to give Prince's biggest hits ratings if they didn't see them.

That's why I said maybe they interpreted the rules differently and only voted for their favorites which are obscure/more recent songs.

The only other explanation I can think of is two voters (the same two I bet) purposely left these top ten songs without ratings as some kind of protest against (in their opinions) overrated and overplayed tracks.

There are many reasons for the above.

1. You get mavericks who vote for only a few obscure songs

2. People who enter invalid and inappropriate responses, one voter could have been a bozo who wrote "I like it" or "this sux". prince fans cover the whole IQ spectrum. The list was comprehensive and included many alternative versions and bootleg versions of some songs. Simple people with IQs of under 80 may have got confused here.

3. Some people may not have given certain songs, marks if they knew they were going to do well anyway.

4. Not every fan, has every album and you may have some voters who only have a few recent albums and can't be bothered with 80s classics.

5. This was an international poll, and some pollsters may be from countries where Prince has only been known since say 1990 (Eg communist countries, where western rock music was banned until recently and South Africa which was a closed state until 1989). You may have Leninwong de kommunista from Kyrgyzstan whose first Prince album was diamonds and pearls and the Muhammad al katstevens mullahs who run their country ban his 80s stuff as its too sexual.

6. Moonbeam is now living in Australia and many Pollsters came from Australia and New Zealand where 1999 and WDC were not #1 but only Top 10 hits, whilst the SOTT - Symbol era songs were more successful here, in NZ my country Alphabet Street was a #1 hit.

.

Your points are invalid

1. You insult the integrity of the poll, if you think it is so bad, why don't you do one instead and realise the hard work that goes into it.

2. You are pissed off because 39 people out of 39 did not vote for1999 and Purple Rain as #1 and you assume Kiss must be the best song off Parade because its the most well known, or Mountains as its a fan favourite.

3. People are diffrent and don't have the hive mind you force on them.


You gave the same excuses I gave for the discrepencies and then say my points are invalid and I'm insulting the integrity of the poll?

I know Moonbeam lives in Australia. I've met him in Sydney and consider him a friend so of course I respect the hard work that he's done here.


You're the one that sounds pissed off with your constant anti-American rants.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 04/24/17 6:50pm

gandorb

sexton said:

gandorb said:

Not necessarily. The instructions had nothing to so with voting for your favorites. Instead, you were asked to rate the songs from a very long list of songs (the vault list?), It could be some people skipped certain songs for a variety of reasons (didn't know or recognize it, didn't see it due to the very long list, didn't have a strong enough opinion about the song, etc). By the way, Boys & Girls surprised me to but not in a bad way.


None of the excuses you have presented sounds plausible. What fan does not know or recognize "1999", "When Doves Cry", "Let's Go Crazy" and "Raspberry Beret" or doesn't have a strong enough opinion about them? Even skimming through the very long list quickly, it should dawn on voters to give Prince's biggest hits ratings if they didn't see them.

That's why I said maybe they interpreted the rules differently and only voted for their favorites which are obscure/more recent songs.

The only other explanation I can think of is two voters (the same two I bet) purposely left these top ten songs without ratings as some kind of protest against (in their opinions) overrated and overplayed tracks.

or maybe they just didn't feel they needed another 10 rating because they assumed that they would do plenty fine without them. If I had a strong sense that a song was over-rated, I would be motivated to put my lower rating in to counter my perception that others would be rating them too highly. I wouldn't want that song to come out at number one. Perhaps enough people did this that it resulted in an unlikely #1.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 04/24/17 7:00pm

sexton

avatar

gandorb said:

sexton said:


None of the excuses you have presented sounds plausible. What fan does not know or recognize "1999", "When Doves Cry", "Let's Go Crazy" and "Raspberry Beret" or doesn't have a strong enough opinion about them? Even skimming through the very long list quickly, it should dawn on voters to give Prince's biggest hits ratings if they didn't see them.

That's why I said maybe they interpreted the rules differently and only voted for their favorites which are obscure/more recent songs.

The only other explanation I can think of is two voters (the same two I bet) purposely left these top ten songs without ratings as some kind of protest against (in their opinions) overrated and overplayed tracks.

or maybe they just didn't feel they needed another 10 rating because they assumed that they would do plenty fine without them. If I had a strong sense that a song was over-rated, I would be motivated to put my lower rating in to counter my perception that others would be rating them too highly. I wouldn't want that song to come out at number one. Perhaps enough people did this that it resulted in an unlikely #1.


Yes, I do know at least one person who gave the song "Purple Rain" a 2 rating. I'm not disputing what's in the top ten at all. I just found it odd that there wasn't one song that got a rating from everyone. And I'm not upset in the least about the poll results despite what some other kooky orgers may think.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 04/24/17 7:50pm

gandorb

sexton said:

gandorb said:

or maybe they just didn't feel they needed another 10 rating because they assumed that they would do plenty fine without them. If I had a strong sense that a song was over-rated, I would be motivated to put my lower rating in to counter my perception that others would be rating them too highly. I wouldn't want that song to come out at number one. Perhaps enough people did this that it resulted in an unlikely #1.


Yes, I do know at least one person who gave the song "Purple Rain" a 2 rating. I'm not disputing what's in the top ten at all. I just found it odd that there wasn't one song that got a rating from everyone. And I'm not upset in the least about the poll results despite what some other kooky orgers may think.

Didn't think you were wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 04/24/17 7:56pm

Moonbeam

avatar

The maximum number of votes for a song being 37 turned out to be a weird coincidence. There were 16 such songs with 37 votes, but they were missing votes across a total of 7 different voters, all of whom voted for a least some of these 16 songs:

2 rated 15 songs
1 rated 14 songs
2 rated 11 songs

1 rated 9 songs
1 rated 5 songs


The one who rated only 5 of the 16 most-voted songs only had time to rate the top 300 or so songs in the spreadsheet.

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 04/24/17 7:58pm

Moonbeam

avatar

sexton said:

gandorb said:

or maybe they just didn't feel they needed another 10 rating because they assumed that they would do plenty fine without them. If I had a strong sense that a song was over-rated, I would be motivated to put my lower rating in to counter my perception that others would be rating them too highly. I wouldn't want that song to come out at number one. Perhaps enough people did this that it resulted in an unlikely #1.


Yes, I do know at least one person who gave the song "Purple Rain" a 2 rating. I'm not disputing what's in the top ten at all. I just found it odd that there wasn't one song that got a rating from everyone. And I'm not upset in the least about the poll results despite what some other kooky orgers may think.


The lowest rating that was sent to me for "Purple Rain" was a 5. Maybe there was a change of heart?

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 04/24/17 8:20pm

thekidsgirl

avatar

Moonbeam said:



sexton said:




gandorb said:



or maybe they just didn't feel they needed another 10 rating because they assumed that they would do plenty fine without them. If I had a strong sense that a song was over-rated, I would be motivated to put my lower rating in to counter my perception that others would be rating them too highly. I wouldn't want that song to come out at number one. Perhaps enough people did this that it resulted in an unlikely #1.




Yes, I do know at least one person who gave the song "Purple Rain" a 2 rating. I'm not disputing what's in the top ten at all. I just found it odd that there wasn't one song that got a rating from everyone. And I'm not upset in the least about the poll results despite what some other kooky orgers may think.




The lowest rating that was sent to me for "Purple Rain" was a 5. Maybe there was a change of heart?




:lol: I just rechecked my rankings. Thought I had given it a 2, but evidently I was a bit more generous when I submitted my final score.

Its strange that looking at my scores now, I could easily change a bunch of them.
If you will, so will I
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 04/24/17 9:45pm

Adorecream

sexton said:


You're the one that sounds pissed off with your constant anti-American rants.

Sorry it is just Donald Trump and his impact on World War 3 beaking out. Isis, Russia and North Korea are all polishing their guns.

.

Will be posting some stats I made if okay with you Moonbeam.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 04/25/17 9:57am

namepeace

Moonbeam said:

  • 20. Sometimes It Snows in April (1986): 35 votes, 9.16 average, 14.92 points
  • 19. I Wanna Be Your Lover (1979): 36 votes, 9.14 average, 14.94 points
  • 18. Controversy (1981): 37 votes, 9.12 average, 14.98 points
  • 17. Anotherloverholenyohead (1986): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.06 points
  • 16. 17 Days (1984): 31 votes, 9.35 average, 15.06 points
  • 15. The Question of U (1990): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.08 points
  • 14. The Beautiful Ones (1984): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.09 points
  • 13. Pop Life (1985): 37 votes, 9.15 average, 15.10 points
  • 12. Purple Rain (1984): 36 votes, 9.20 average, 15.18 points
  • 11. Kiss (1986): 36 votes, 9.22 average, 15.24 points


Come on, now. I love the song, but it isn't even the best song on the album. That distinction belongs to "Joy In Repetition," arguably a top-10 song.

M/b . . . if you find "Adore" slow, what do you think about "Question"?

"17 Days" may be top 5 for me. I'd rank maybe a dozen songs above "anotherloverholenyohead". But each one of these other than Question I can see here.


Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 04/25/17 10:01am

namepeace

Moonbeam said:

The top 10. damosuzuki nailed the song choices, though the order was anyone's guess.

  • 10. D.M.S.R. (1982): 34 votes, 9.33 average, 15.38 points
  • 9. Little Red Corvette (1982): 37 votes, 9.24 average, 15.44 points
  • 8. Girls & Boys (1986): 34 votes, 9.35 average, 15.46 points
  • 7. 1999 (1982): 37 votes, 9.27 average, 15.53 points
  • 6. When Doves Cry (1984): 37 votes, 9.28 average, 15.58 points
  • 5. Let's Go Crazy (1984): 37 votes, 9.30 average, 15.65 points
  • 4. Raspberry Beret (1985): 37 votes, 9.31 average, 15.66 points
  • 3. Erotic City (1985): 33 votes, 9.45 average, 15.70 points
  • 2. Sign o' the Times (1987): 37 votes, 9.34 average, 15.79 points
  • 1. If I Was Your Girlfriend (1987): 37 votes, 9.36 average, 15.87 points


I would rank "G&B" somewhere in the middle of the top 50, but not at 8.

"DMSR," "Erotic City" and "Girlfriend" are definitive Prince songs insofar as they capture his artistic persona.

Overall, the arguments are relatively minor, we are talking about a body of work in popular music that takes a back seat to none.

THANKS FOR ALL THIS, MOONBEAM!

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #111 posted 04/25/17 9:28pm

Adorecream

Some statistics based around points and marks out of 10.

Points were awarded for the number of votes and the score out of 10 given for each song.

Moonbeam was open and allowed an open mark system so no 8, 9 or 10, but halves, quarters, tenths and even crap like 9.0765/10 was allowed as long as the number given was above 0 and no higher than 10. People ranking songs with marks over 10, had the mark counted as a 10, so my 159 I gave for Adore was listed as 10, another poller gave a song 10000, it was still 10! lol

.

Then the part he knows well, but I don't was a score in points according to the not only the average of votes, but the number of votes. The point system was open and a 0 point established at 5, soany song with an average mark of under 5, would get a negative point score regardless of how many votes a song got, so if a song got 30 votes with an average of 4.50, it would get a negative point score, same as a song with 2 votes and an average of 4.5.

.

The point system was orientated, so the more votes a song got influenced its points score, so a song with 30 votes and an average of 8 would get more points than a song with an average score of 8 but only 12 votes.

.

This helped the big hit songs and songs known by more than 25 of the 39 voters do well and mainly why Prince and Symbol studio album songs did very well for well known and loved ones and very poorly for the bad studio tracks like Jughead, Animal Kingdom and Purple and Gold.

.

1446 songs were listed and 1198 got a score and rank. Some ranking double ups ensured placings down to 1202 were given. Mostly Prince, Symbol, Protege and studio music scored well in the top half with mostly alternate mixes and obscure proteges like Jevetta Steele, Louie Louie doing middle or poorly and proteges regarded as poor quality and forgettable like Ingrid Chavez, Chaka Khan, Larry Graham and Bria Valente having albums scoring in the 4 figures and high hundreds (Very bad, but LG and CK both have great music, but their Prince eras are much less great!). Even better later proteges like Judith Hill and Andy Allo mostly scored in the 500s to 800s. Only The Time and Sheila E along with Jill Jones, scored in the low hundreds, with a couple of tracks making it into the Top 100.

.

Prince's classic 1980s output from Dirty Mind to Lovesexy scored mostly above the 300s with all of these albums putting songs in the Top 50 and Sign o the Times and Purple Rain supplying many songs in the Top 50, Parade, 1999, ATWAID, Dirty Mind all had songs in this upper rank too.

.

Many tracks off GB, Symbol, The Gold Experience and Prince scored well too, but some much less well. Of the main albums, Jughead was the poorest performer in the mid 1190s (Bottom 10) in amongst Larry Graham and TC ellis tracks.

.

Most of Prince's other albums that were major releases, had a few tracks in the high 100s (365 - 101) and the bulk in the 350 - 600 region. Even a good comeback album like Hit N run phase 2 had tracks placing respectably in the 200s mostly. 2 tracks from Art Official Age cracked the 100 being Time and Way Back Home.

.

In all 1096 of the 1198 rated tracks made it into positive pointage (Meaning they had an average score of 5/10 or more by the surveyers. Here is the spread.

.

POINTS OUT OF 10

.

Average 6.66
N = 1198
Median 6.66
UQ 7.49 Top 25%
LQ 5.93 Bottom 25%
Highest 9.45 Erotic City
Lowest 2.59 Purple and Gold
over 9 31
8 to 8.99 141
7 to 7.99 297
6 to 6.99 418
5 to 5.99 207
4 to 4.99 75
3 to 3.99 28
under 3 1
no mark 248
Total of all songs 1446

So this shows most songs scored between 5.00 and 7.99 out of 10, with a large group scoring between 6 and 7. A good amount scored over 8 and only 31 or some 2% of the total got above 9, virtually all were 1980s tracks from his golden era. Erotic city got the highest score of 9.45 but only 3rd as more people voted for If I was ur girlfriend with 9.36. Those four votes gave it an edge of .17 points over Erotic city.

.

Purple and Gold was a distant last, with song universally despised, its average of 2.59/10 was some .41 marks behind 8 songs which all got 3.00/10 mainly a few votes all low, these songs included several unreleased out takes, a Lois Lane song and several Larry Graham tracks.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #112 posted 04/25/17 9:48pm

Adorecream

However the average score out of 10 did not influence the final ranking. This was also needing votes. Generally a song with a high mark would do better, but even better still when there was almost universal approval of a song. Even counting 5 - 10% of voters are mavericks who give an accepted top song a low mark like say a 2 or 4, the other 35 of 37 people giving it a 9 will balance a poor mark out. Same with a really bad song got 25 2's and 10 3's but someone gives it a 7 or a 9, this will not help the overall score much lol.

.

Getting a 10/10 average would be hard, as my 10 may be someone elses 8 or 9 or even a 6, even my 5 may be a 2 or a 10 to someone else. But generally I found most of my marks and most other people will find their marks were at least 2 points within the average, and many times were with in the nearest round number mark, (Say a song has an average of 7.65 and you gave it an 8).

.

So the points look different. Scores ranged from just under 16 points for If I was ur Girlfriend (15.87 points) down to - 7.57 with Purple and Gold. Like I said in the last post, only 103 songs got scores of under 0 points. As most songs had average marks above 5 but under 8, many got scores between about 8 points down to 2 points.

.

This shows the spread of points.

.

Total points awarded 5839.32
Average 4.88
Highest 15.87 If I was ur girlfriend
Lowest -7.57 Purple and Gold
UQ 7.43
Median 4.30
LQ 1.77
over 15 16
14 - 14.99 17
13 - 13.99 17
12 - 12.99 25
11 - 11.99 34
10 - 10.99 51
9 - 9.99 44
8 - 8,99 50
7 - 7.99 83
6 - 6.99 90
5 - 5.99 89
4 - 4.99 124
3 - 3.99 125
2 - 2.99 115
1 - 1.99 116
0 - 0.99 99
negative 0 to -0.99 45
minus 1 to - 2 34
minus 2 to minus 3 20
minus 3 to minus 4 3
below - 4 1

The stats show the median is much lower as many more songs got a low nimber of marks compared to the higher ranking songs. Most songs are clumped around the 1 to 6 points and less than 300 have scores over 8 points. The cut off for the best 365 songs was 6.62 points. But bear in mind that 365 of 1198 songs is barely 30% making some 70% of rated songs having under 6.62 points. The Top 50 songs got 13 points or more and were solelymade up of songs scoring 8.5/10 or more. A few songs getting an average of 8 to 9 were songs with only 2 to 6 votes and thus got far less points (Like 5 or 6 instead of 12 or 13).

.

As you get closer to 5/10, the points spread is closer. For instance no song with an average mark of 6.00 got above 3.38 points, and none under 1.10 points.

At 7.00 average this was the range - 2.20 to 6.30 points etc.

.

Because of the this - Purple and Gold got the lowest point score by over 4 points, as it was voted the worst song by 22 people and got - 7.57 points with an average of only 2.59 points.

The next worst song Barcelona off the shit album Kamasutra - got - 3.43 points, some 4.14 more than purple and gold, mainly as the song was only voted on by 8 people and its average was 3.44 a lot higher than Purple and Gold.

.

The next worst song with more than 10 votes - Jughead which got 1197th, got - 2.89 points and 28 voters gave it an average score of 4.14 points, 0.86 below the 0cut of 5/10.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #113 posted 04/25/17 9:56pm

Adorecream

The songs that got no marks on the list.

First column is song name, 2nd is artist and project, blank is usually meaning a bootleg or an outtake not used by anyone, but only exists as a vault song, or in the case of some, unreleased, but heard by a few bootleg enthusiasts.

Big thanks and love to Moonbeam who did all the work.

All this work and polling is his work and not mine, I am merely an overenthusiastic member and participant of the supapoll.

.

You're All I Want -
You Really Get To Me -
You Know How -
Yah, U Know -
What Should B Souled -
What It Is... -
What Did I Do? -
We Can (Get It On) -
Walkin' In Glory -
Waiting 4 Your Love -
Waiting -
U Should Be Mine -
U Just Can't Stop -
Twosday -
Twisted -
Tibet -
This Is Your Life -
There's Something I Like About Being Your Fool -
Then -
The Spiritual World -
The Rock That Keeps Rolling -
The Rain And You -
The Mad Pope -
Susan -
Surprise -
Strength -
Streets Of Panama -
Strawberries -
Stella And Charles -
Star (Sweet Dreams)‎ -
Stand Up And B Strong -
Soul Patch -
Small Grey Monkey -
Small Bright Light -
Slow Groove In G Major -
Slave 2 The Funk -
Simp The Pimp -
Shine Your Light/Red Zone -
She Pony -
See U Dead -
Running Game (Son Of A Slave Owner) -
Run Amok -
Rocking Chair -
Rhythm Angel -
Rearrange -
Realize -
Rain -
Pulla Wagon -
Poppa Grooves -
Pony Ride -
Polka-Dot Tiger -
Plastic Love Affair -
Paisley Park -
Over The Rainbow -
No Changes -
Nine -
Move Me -
Money Don't Grow On Trees -
Mobile -
Maybe -
Make U Mine -
Love Of Mine -
Love Is Everywhere -
Love In The Morning -
Love And Sex -
Love And Sex -
Life Is So Neat -
Katrina's Paper Dolls -
Jana Jade's Army -
In A Winter Mood -
If U Let Me Undress U -
I Wanna Be Held 2 Night -
I Spend My Time Loving You -
I Met A Virgin Queen -
I Like What You're Doing -
I Believe I Love U -
I Am You -
Hump You -
Hey Lover -
Hello, My Love -
Heart Attack -
Gypsy -
Gym Class -
Good Pussy -
Good Dick And A Job -
God Is Everywhere -
Gett Off's Cousin -
Fuck D Press -
Frustration -
Friction -
Fox Trap -
Forever Mine -
Fish Fries -
Fast Freddie -
Fantasy -
Famous -
Emotional Crucifixion -
E-Pluribous Funk -
Don't Hold Back -
Do U Wanna Rock? -
Do It Again -
Die -
Diamond Eyes -
Delivery Boy -
Dear Uncle George -
Darlene Marie -
Dancin' Flu -
Dance Of Desperation -
Cornbread Rappers -
Conversation Piece -
Commercial -
Colleen -
Check The Record -
Call Of The Wild -
Breathless -
Boy U Bad -
Born 2 Die -
Blanche -
Back In The Day -
Angel Wish -
And That Says What? -
American Jam -
All The King's Horses -
Aces -
A Place In Heaven, Lisa Vocal -
If I Had A Harem - (version released as Blues In C (If I Had A Harem)
No Cones Allowed (intended for Coneheads movie)
A 1,000 Hugs And Kisses (see 1000 X's & O's)
Carnac (see 17)
Woman’s Gotta Have It (See A Woman's Gotta Have It)
Holly Don't Care (see Baby Don't Care)
Tony's Iggnant Mix (see Brother With A Purpose)
Proposition #17 (See Chili Sauce)
Wendy's Parade (See Christopher Tracy's Parade)
So Dark (see Dark)
Aguadilla (see Desire)
Earthquake (See Eye 'magettin')
We’ve Been Waiting (See GCS 2000)
Brick House (See House Of Brick (Brick House))
Jelly Jam (see Just As Long As We're Together)
Just Be My Lady (See Just B My Lady)
Eighteen (see Kamasutra/Overture # 8)
La-La Means I Love You (See La, La, La Means Link=La,_La,_La_Means_Eye_Love_U Love U)
Drawers (see Little Rock)
Get Loose! (see Loose!)
(Lemme See Your Body) Get Loose! (See Loose!)
Daisy Miller (see Love Song)
We'll Make It Through The Storm (See Make It Through The Storm)
Give Me Yo' Most Strongest Whiskey (See Most Strongest Whiskey)
Love Is Forever (see My Love Is Forever)
Thank U Just The Same (see My Medallion)
Bobbi Jo (see Once Upon A Time)
Ooh Bee Shoo Bee Doo Koo Shoo Ooh (see Oobey Doop)
Oobey Doop Be Shoo Doo Loo Fly Me Doo Koo Shoo Ooh (see Oobey Doop)
Pussy Control (See P. Control)
Overture #6 (See Promise/Broken)
Red House (See Purple House)
Welcome 2 The Freedom Galaxy (See Purple Music)
Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic (See Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic)
Rock And Roll Love Affair (see Rocknroll Loveaffair)
Sadomasochistic Groove (See S&M Groove)
Skin Tight (See S.T.)
Overture #5 (See Serotonin)
Nothing Left 2 Give (see Stone)
Mazarati (see Susannah's Pajamas)
BMW (see Susannah's Pajamas)
Tell Me How U Wanna Be Done (see The Continental)
Beautiful (see The Most Beautiful Girl In The World)
12 Keys (see The Question Of U)
Listen 2 The Rhythm (See The Rhythm Of Your ♥)
Sticky Wicked (See Times Squared)
Hysterical (See Tweakin')
You (see U)
You're Still The One (See U're Still The One)
We Can Fuck (See We Can Funk)
Lisa (See Yes)
If You See Me 94 East: Minneapolis Genius - Featuring Prince
Boom Box Brass Monkey: -
Cat Attack Cat: -
Cat And Mouse Cat: -
Journey 2 The Center Of Your Heart Chaka Khan: Come 2 My House
I Can't Figure It Out Dez Dickerson and Prince: -
Eros Dirty Mind
We Are America Esperanza Spalding: Vimeo video stream
Fire Flash: Flash
Bump This For You
XYZ Graffiti Bridge
Ruthie Washington Jet Blues Graffiti Bridge
Everything Could Be So Fine Graffiti Bridge
Bloody Mouth Graffiti Bridge
Billie Holiday Graffiti Bridge
Beatown Graffiti Bridge
Jump And Shout Graham Central Station: -
You're Such A Fox Grand Central
You Remind Me Of Me Grand Central
Whenever Grand Central
Sex Machine Grand Central
Machine Grand Central
Lady Pleasure Grand Central
Grand Central Grand Central
39th St. Party Grand Central: -
Touch Of Love Ingrid Chavez
Crystal City Cry Ingrid Chavez
Blue Boy Ingrid Chavez
Candle Dance Ingrid Chavez (released version is without Prince input)
Married Man Jill Jones
Living Doll Jill Jones
My Sex Jill Jones: -
Killin' At The Soda Shop Jill Jones: -
Baby Doll Kylie Minogue: -
Your Show Liv Warfield: The Unexpected
Uno Madhouse
Tres Madhouse
Dos Madhouse
Asswhuppin' In A Trunk Madhouse: -
Hey, U Margie Cox
We Can Hang Margie Cox: -
Good Body Every Evening Margie Cox: -
Playtime Marva King
Hotel Blues]] Marva King
The Undertaker Mavis Staples: The Voice
No Can Do Milenia: Our Story
Stone Lover MLF (Music, Love and Funk): Stone Lover
Stained Glass Ninety-9
Three Shots Ninety-9: -
The Mood For Love Ninety-9: -
Burns 1 Ninety-9: -
Only Heaven Knows Prince
Fancy Dancer Prince and the New Power Generation: -
Pangaea Prince: -
Palomino Pleasure Ride Prince: -
Reflection Prince: Musicology
Habibi Prince: NPGMC Edition # 3
Time Rhonda Smith: RS2
Turn Your Lights Down Low Rosie Gaines: -
Streetwalker Rosie Gaines: -
Xtraloveable see : Extraloveable
Chatounette Controle see P. Control
Knucklehead Sheila E.: -
I'm Saving It Up Sue Ann Carwell
Holy Ground Támar Davis
First Love Támar Davis
Coco Boys The Dawn
Stones The Golden Hippie: Tidal Purple Pick of the Week stream
Promise To Be True Vanity 6
Pizza Vanity 6
Jealous Girl Vanity 6

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #114 posted 04/26/17 2:03am

Adorecream

Arranging the data by album sets. The worst was

GCS 2000 - Look at this

.

Free Graham Central Station: GCS 2000 1998 1999 630 7.08 4.05

Love 4 1another Graham Central Station: GCS 2000 1998 1999 882 6.10 1.97

Don't Let 'Em Change U Graham Central Station: GCS 2000 1997-1998 1999 1153 4.00 -1.39

U Move Me Graham Central Station: GCS 2000 1998 1999 1170 3.67 -1.85

Groove On Graham Central Station: GCS 2000 1998 1999 1170 3.67 -1.85

GCS 2000 Graham Central Station: GCS 2000 1997-1998 1999 1178 3.90 -1.97

Utopia Graham Central Station: GCS 2000 1998 1999 1182 3.50 -2.08

Eye Just Found Somebody 2 Love Graham Central Station: GCS 2000 1997-1998 1999 1192 3.50 -2.41

Eye 'magettin' Graham Central Station: GCS 2000 1997-1998 1999 1192 3.50 -2.41

Just B My Lady Graham Central Station: GCS 2000 1997-1998 1999 1194 3.17 -2.54

.

Thats a lot of 1150 plus scores!

[Edited 4/26/17 2:05am]

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #115 posted 04/26/17 2:08am

Adorecream

Best Protege album overall

.

All Day, All Night Jill Jones: Jill Jones 1984 1987 10 136 8.55 10.45
G-Spot Jill Jones: Jill Jones 1983 1987 10 143 8.47 10.39
Mia Bocca Jill Jones: Jill Jones 1982 1987 8 222 8.06 8.66
Baby, You're A Trip Jill Jones: Jill Jones 1982 1987 10 363 7.34 6.62
Violet Blue Jill Jones: Jill Jones 1986 1987 8 391 7.55 6.33
For Love Jill Jones: Jill Jones 1985 1987 445 7.50 5.76
My Man Jill Jones: Jill Jones 1986 1987 520 7.25 4.94

.

Prize winning quality scores there.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #116 posted 04/26/17 2:12am

Adorecream

Best Prince album by far - Purple Rain, nearly all Top 100

.

Let's Go Crazy Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 10 24 5 9.30 15.65
When Doves Cry Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1984 1984 10 23 6 9.28 15.58
Purple Rain Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 9 18 12 9.20 15.18
The Beautiful Ones Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 10 18 14 9.24 15.09
Computer Blue Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 10 16 27 8.96 14.18
Baby I'm A Star Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1981 1984 9.5 12 44 8.73 13.47
I Would Die 4 U Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 9 14 49 8.69 13.42
Darling Nikki Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 9.5 10 59 8.53 12.64
Take Me With U Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1984 1984 9 103 8.11 11.31

.

And the B sides

God Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain single 1983 1984 8 166 7.94 9.89
Erotic City Prince and the Revolution: Let's Go Crazy single 1983 1985 10 21 3 9.45 15.70
17 Days Prince and the Revolution: When Doves Cry single 1983 1984 10 20 16 9.35 15.06
Another Lonely Christmas Prince and the Revolution: I Would Die 4 U single 1983 1985 10 177 7.75 9.60

.

Sorry next to year released are my marks, and I can't remove these unless it goes to plain text, then another column shows numbers of 10s for each song in the case of there being 10 or more, finallly the rank of the song, average score and then points awarded.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #117 posted 04/26/17 5:57pm

gandorb

Adorecream said:

Best Prince album by far - Purple Rain, nearly all Top 100

.

Let's Go Crazy Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 10 24 5 9.30 15.65
When Doves Cry Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1984 1984 10 23 6 9.28 15.58
Purple Rain Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 9 18 12 9.20 15.18
The Beautiful Ones Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 10 18 14 9.24 15.09
Computer Blue Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 10 16 27 8.96 14.18
Baby I'm A Star Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1981 1984 9.5 12 44 8.73 13.47
I Would Die 4 U Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 9 14 49 8.69 13.42
Darling Nikki Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1983 1984 9.5 10 59 8.53 12.64
Take Me With U Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain 1984 1984 9 103 8.11 11.31

.

And the B sides

God Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain single 1983 1984 8 166 7.94 9.89
Erotic City Prince and the Revolution: Let's Go Crazy single 1983 1985 10 21 3 9.45 15.70
17 Days Prince and the Revolution: When Doves Cry single 1983 1984 10 20 16 9.35 15.06
Another Lonely Christmas Prince and the Revolution: I Would Die 4 U single 1983 1985 10 177 7.75 9.60

.

Sorry next to year released are my marks, and I can't remove these unless it goes to plain text, then another column shows numbers of 10s for each song in the case of there being 10 or more, finallly the rank of the song, average score and then points awarded.

Thanks for the additional stats.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince song poll: Results!