independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 24th Jan 2020 7:03am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Prince Story: Icon, Genius...Slave ...oh bother...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 04/16/17 8:32pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

Lovejunky said:

por69 said:

Have just watched this on Channel 5 and I know I'm going to be in the minority, but overall I didn't think it was that bad. Firstly, NO ONE can ever recreate or be like Prince, he was unique. However, I thought Mark Anthony did an admirable job of trying to convey the different periods of Prince's career, cuz let's face it its a pretty impossible task to do Prince any sort of justice. The docu-drama conveyed what I know I felt regarding Prince's last 18 months, in that I truly believe Prince knew his end was near. Yes facts were skipped over and dates were out, but over-all I think Channel 5 made a half decent tribute. It could have been far worse.

Sloppy research

the Picture supposed to be Prince and his mother was actually Prince and his mothers fraternal twin sister

Image result for Prince,s Mother and step father

The picture supposedly of his mother and father was His mother and Stepfather

THis is NOT John Nelson

Image result for Prince,s Mother and step father

Ahmir is refered to as Boy Gregory which was never his name..it was a media concoction

Overall it was OK I guess....

The made the connection between his Hip Surgeries and his pain pills...

But portraying him as SELF Destructive IRRITATED ME..

The man always looked to IMPROVE and never gave up his calling that is NOT Self Destructive...

Its self CONSTRUCTIVE...

They also implied this was a photo of his father which it is not. Its Haywood. Ps step-father.

There are at least 3 shows that I am recording right now, and I think there is a 4th one but I cant find it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 04/16/17 8:36pm

Lovejunky

avatar

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

Lovejunky said:

Sloppy research

the Picture supposed to be Prince and his mother was actually Prince and his mothers fraternal twin sister

Image result for Prince,s Mother and step father

The picture supposedly of his mother and father was His mother and Stepfather

THis is NOT John Nelson

Image result for Prince,s Mother and step father

Ahmir is refered to as Boy Gregory which was never his name..it was a media concoction

Overall it was OK I guess....

The made the connection between his Hip Surgeries and his pain pills...

But portraying him as SELF Destructive IRRITATED ME..

The man always looked to IMPROVE and never gave up his calling that is NOT Self Destructive...

Its self CONSTRUCTIVE...

They also implied this was a photo of his father which it is not. Its Haywood. Ps step-father.

There are at least 3 shows that I am recording right now, and I think there is a 4th one but I cant find it.

Lol..thanks for repeating what I said....( highlighted again in red..you must have missed it...

Side note...Haywood was a strange looking fellow...

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 04/16/17 8:54pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

Hahhaa Lovejunky.

Im drinking wine again so I dont see so well.

blunt stoned

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 04/16/17 9:28pm

morningsong

Not to derail my own thread but Omar has that Eddie Haskell look. Damn I can't think of the TV kid he really reminds me of. Not quite Cartman but THAT kid that always is in the group getting everybody in trouble with his brilliant schemes.


:giggle:



Maybe I had too much wine too.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 04/16/17 10:24pm

lust

avatar

Lovejunky said:



ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:




Lovejunky said:



Sloppy research



the Picture supposed to be Prince and his mother was actually Prince and his mothers fraternal twin sister


Image result for Prince,s Mother and step father



The picture supposedly of his mother and father was His mother and Stepfather



THis is NOT John Nelson



Image result for Prince,s Mother and step father


Ahmir is refered to as Boy Gregory which was never his name..it was a media concoction



Overall it was OK I guess....



The made the connection between his Hip Surgeries and his pain pills...



But portraying him as SELF Destructive IRRITATED ME..





The man always looked to IMPROVE and never gave up his calling that is NOT Self Destructive...




Its self CONSTRUCTIVE...










They also implied this was a photo of his father which it is not. Its Haywood. Ps step-father.


There are at least 3 shows that I am recording right now, and I think there is a 4th one but I cant find it.




Lol..thanks for repeating what I said....( highlighted again in red..you must have missed it...


Side note...Haywood was a strange looking fellow...



That bloke is definitely not Haywood.

Could be Hayward though. razz
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 04/17/17 4:07am

m22

It was awful. The last great performance was 2004? Really? No mention of the works after 2004, oh and by the way prince does not know how to express love. This was just utter rubbish... Do others on the org also think his last great performance was that you tube video while my guitar gently weeps? The actor: annoying, who does he think he is playing prince dead in the lift? Terrible low grade production . He tried to sing but was equally as awful as the entire two hours. I could have done a better job , understand the need for critical evaluation but did prince continue to make music and sell out concerts around the world after 2004? Or did he withdrew from public life like the documentary said? Don't think so. At least get basic facts right. Bad stuff left bad feeling...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 04/17/17 4:49am

RJOrion

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:



Lovejunky said:




por69 said:


Have just watched this on Channel 5 and I know I'm going to be in the minority, but overall I didn't think it was that bad. Firstly, NO ONE can ever recreate or be like Prince, he was unique. However, I thought Mark Anthony did an admirable job of trying to convey the different periods of Prince's career, cuz let's face it its a pretty impossible task to do Prince any sort of justice. The docu-drama conveyed what I know I felt regarding Prince's last 18 months, in that I truly believe Prince knew his end was near. Yes facts were skipped over and dates were out, but over-all I think Channel 5 made a half decent tribute. It could have been far worse.

Sloppy research



the Picture supposed to be Prince and his mother was actually Prince and his mothers fraternal twin sister


Image result for Prince,s Mother and step father



The picture supposedly of his mother and father was His mother and Stepfather



THis is NOT John Nelson



Image result for Prince,s Mother and step father


Ahmir is refered to as Boy Gregory which was never his name..it was a media concoction



Overall it was OK I guess....



The made the connection between his Hip Surgeries and his pain pills...



But portraying him as SELF Destructive IRRITATED ME..





The man always looked to IMPROVE and never gave up his calling that is NOT Self Destructive...




Its self CONSTRUCTIVE...










They also implied this was a photo of his father which it is not. Its Haywood. Ps step-father.


There are at least 3 shows that I am recording right now, and I think there is a 4th one but I cant find it.





yep...and the dumb fuckers actually said "minneapolis, the capitol city of Minnesota..."...so what does that make St. Paul???
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 04/17/17 4:52am

RJOrion

the Prince impersonator was unintentional comedy at its highest...and when they had him sing & dance, it was like a Saturday Night Live or Dave Chappelle skit...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 04/17/17 5:14am

Lovejunky

avatar

RJOrion said:

the Prince impersonator was unintentional comedy at its highest...and when they had him sing & dance, it was like a Saturday Night Live or Dave Chappelle skit...

Yes...Cringe worthy.....

It was a very UNCLASSY Production overall...Badly researched, and incomplete..it didnt cover the last 20 years, implied that he was so wounded and lonely..which we know was not true..he had people all around him who loved him Madly until the end...

(Not at the end..I know I know...But still)

THe overall impression it left was sadness...

not that he was gone...

but That he was an isolated lonely and damaged Figure...

Not one mention of the JOY he brought to the world...

or the Happy soul that everyone who knew him saw...

Ive read so many stories now where people say he was always UP...

Gosh..He is so misunderstood....still now...

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 04/17/17 8:25am

morningsong

How are the critics reviewing it? I see the fan reaction. Seems like the same bad information gets regurgitated over again, somebody must be getting a pat on the back for it.
[Edited 4/17/17 8:27am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 04/17/17 11:36am

Mikhail63

I think it presented an overtly bleak picture of him, particularly the last decade or so. Yes, he did have issues from childhood - "they fuck you up, your mum and dad" indeed - and was obviously in great physical pain, but the suggestion was that he was a virtual recluse and didn't do much in public after 2004. Er, 11 albums, major tours (21 Nights, Hit'n'Run) countless one-off shows, new projects and proteges (3rdEyeGirl et al), regular appearances on talk shows (never even considered earlier in his career), award shows etc etc..hello? And it relied far too much on talking heads from way back, all presuming that they knew his mindset when he had gone through so many transitions over the years. Where were the testimonies from contemporary collaborators and friends? He was presented as a tragic figure, and whilst there was tragedy in his life and death, there was also joy and humour and love in abundance.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 04/17/17 12:16pm

m22

So channel five got back and in terms of feedback if I write what people are saying without mentioning any names I will share...if people are happy with this....? If anyone wants anything to go into the reply get back. It will be respectful...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 04/17/17 12:19pm

m22

So channel five got back and in terms of feedback if I write what people are saying without mentioning any names I will share...if people are happy with this....? If anyone wants anything to go into the reply get back. It will be respectful...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 04/17/17 12:29pm

GTsymbolover

por69 said:

Have just watched this on Channel 5 and I know I'm going to be in the minority, but overall I didn't think it was that bad.
Firstly, NO ONE can ever recreate or be like Prince, he was unique. However, I thought Mark Anthony did an admirable job of trying to convey the different periods of Prince's career, cuz let's face it its a pretty impossible task to do Prince any sort of justice.
The docu-drama conveyed what I know I felt regarding Prince's last 18 months, in that I truly believe Prince knew his end was near.
Yes facts were skipped over and dates were out, but over-all I think Channel 5 made a half decent tribute.
It could have been far worse.


Totally agree, me and my wife enjoyed it!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 04/17/17 1:01pm

master

Again like someone said earlier these channel 5 ones are pure comedy gold. You lot should be grateful as not many good comedies around nowadays. The script is more or less the same script as Michael Jackson one. Both say strict religious upbringings . Both say injury led to taking drugs.Only sligt difference is Michael Jackson was not the same after trial and prince was not the same after lost child.
For my money I would guess prince had HIV/aids like the rumour says as why all this secrecy around reasons for death and explains is change in behaviour around 1998.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 04/17/17 2:30pm

Mikhail63

master said:

Again like someone said earlier these channel 5 ones are pure comedy gold. You lot should be grateful as not many good comedies around nowadays. The script is more or less the same script as Michael Jackson one. Both say strict religious upbringings . Both say injury led to taking drugs.Only sligt difference is Michael Jackson was not the same after trial and prince was not the same after lost child. For my money I would guess prince had HIV/aids like the rumour says as why all this secrecy around reasons for death and explains is change in behaviour around 1998.

Bullshit.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 04/17/17 2:44pm

DaveT

avatar

Not a great watch ... very sad throughout. Cant believe Prince had no happiness in his life having written some of the songs that he did. And to write off his career post 2004? No mention of Super Bowl or 21 night O2 run? You could tell the folks who made this didnt know that much about his career.

Sad to see how upset Pepe Willie and Alan Leeds were sad
www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 04/17/17 2:47pm

petalthecat

avatar

It wasn't too bad but the inaccuracies and exaggeration had me shouting at the screen. It's not hard to research nowadays, or get a P fan on board. It was annoying they didn't specify that scenes were using a lookalike. I hope the average viewer didn't think that was the real Prince screeching! They seemed hellbent on portraying him as a confused, lonely tragic figure. Twice they mentioned how lonely he was he was actually engaged. No mention of the later tours, music, 3rd eye girl etc.
There's always a rainbow 🌈 , at the end of every rain ☔️
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 04/17/17 2:53pm

anangellooksdo
wn

I'm almost halfway through it but I see some things I never heard of that seem TOTALLY exaggerated. Like his father reading the Bible punishingly at the table? And Prince being shamed by his folks for having epilepsy, and the idea that their religion would reject him because of that?
This seems like such b.s. from writers who don't like religion.
Does anybody really think his folks were THAT brutal??
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 04/17/17 3:42pm

illimack

avatar

m22 said:

It was awful. The last great performance was 2004? Really? No mention of the works after 2004, oh and by the way prince does not know how to express love. This was just utter rubbish... Do others on the org also think his last great performance was that you tube video while my guitar gently weeps? The actor: annoying, who does he think he is playing prince dead in the lift? Terrible low grade production . He tried to sing but was equally as awful as the entire two hours. I could have done a better job , understand the need for critical evaluation but did prince continue to make music and sell out concerts around the world after 2004? Or did he withdrew from public life like the documentary said? Don't think so. At least get basic facts right. Bad stuff left bad feeling...

IKR!!!!! When did Prince become a lonely, sad, MJ type recluse with an equally bad childhood??? I was WTF??? P was a Mack back in the day! When did he have time to be so lonely with all those women he was running through? lol Even when he was older, he was still surrounded by young, beautiful women.

**************************************************

Pull ya cell phone out and call yo next of kin...we 'bout to get funky......2,3 come on ya'll
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 04/17/17 3:43pm

illimack

avatar

petalthecat said:

It wasn't too bad but the inaccuracies and exaggeration had me shouting at the screen. It's not hard to research nowadays, or get a P fan on board. It was annoying they didn't specify that scenes were using a lookalike. I hope the average viewer didn't think that was the real Prince screeching! They seemed hellbent on portraying him as a confused, lonely tragic figure. Twice they mentioned how lonely he was he was actually engaged. No mention of the later tours, music, 3rd eye girl etc.

The dude actually looked like P sometimes but he COULD NOT SING FOR SHIT!!!!!! Who in the fuck let him sing and why did they think it was a good idea? confused

**************************************************

Pull ya cell phone out and call yo next of kin...we 'bout to get funky......2,3 come on ya'll
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 04/17/17 6:11pm

lust

avatar

illimack said:



petalthecat said:


It wasn't too bad but the inaccuracies and exaggeration had me shouting at the screen. It's not hard to research nowadays, or get a P fan on board. It was annoying they didn't specify that scenes were using a lookalike. I hope the average viewer didn't think that was the real Prince screeching! They seemed hellbent on portraying him as a confused, lonely tragic figure. Twice they mentioned how lonely he was he was actually engaged. No mention of the later tours, music, 3rd eye girl etc.

The dude actually looked like P sometimes but he COULD NOT SING FOR SHIT!!!!! Who in the fuck let him sing and why did they think it was a good idea? confused




Should've mimed over real recordings. I know they would probably couldn't have done that for licensing reasons being as we'd be talking bootlegged material but at least it would've been more authentic.
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 04/22/17 3:51am

funkystuff

OK, haven't found the time yet to watch it in full but what I saw could have been worse.

At least they have a couple of celebs from the Prince universe participating.

Watching the elevator scene in the end is hard stuff.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 04/22/17 11:10am

jungleluv

GTsymbolover said:

por69 said:
Have just watched this on Channel 5 and I know I'm going to be in the minority, but overall I didn't think it was that bad. Firstly, NO ONE can ever recreate or be like Prince, he was unique. However, I thought Mark Anthony did an admirable job of trying to convey the different periods of Prince's career, cuz let's face it its a pretty impossible task to do Prince any sort of justice. The docu-drama conveyed what I know I felt regarding Prince's last 18 months, in that I truly believe Prince knew his end was near. Yes facts were skipped over and dates were out, but over-all I think Channel 5 made a half decent tribute. It could have been far worse.
Totally agree, me and my wife enjoyed it!

I don't care that most orgers have been dissing the programme, I enjoyed it and found it fascinating. Too many negative people on here. The best 'actress' was the young woman playing Mayte.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 04/22/17 6:13pm

Number23

Watched it and nearly laughed my arse off my hips. Funnier than Airplane. That Unchain My Soul or whatever, where the guy was attempting to project his voice in a manner which could be perceived by ears as a progression of musical notes, well, lol.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 04/25/17 11:17am

jayseajay

This is quite possibly the worst thing I have ever seen on television. Factually sloppy, appalling acting, salacious, sneering, and completely lacking any fucking respect for what an exceptional human being he was. And I am one of the people who is more than happy to talk about the problematic aspects of P's character, and am not at all inclined to think him a saint, but all that bullshit about him not making any important public appearances for 6 years, or the last impressive thing he did on a stage being in 2004. Like playing the Montreux Jazz festival to universal acclaim 3 different years is just not a thing. Or selling out the Sydney Opera House. Bitches, please. And there should be a special circle of hell reserved for people who even think about mocking up the death scene.

[Edited 4/25/17 11:18am]

Not like I love my guitar....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Prince Story: Icon, Genius...Slave ...oh bother...