independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 17th Nov 2019 4:24am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Spotify numbers: 2M hours streamed; added to 7M playlists
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/24/17 4:35am

rogifan

Prince Spotify numbers: 2M hours streamed; added to 7M playlists

http://www.gomn.com/news/...n-spotify/

Spotify users have streamed more than 2 million hours’ worth of Prince tracks since Feb. 12 (when his music became available). And he’s been added to nearly 7 million playlists.

Of course the most played tracks are quite predictable. I do find it interesting that Spotify is promoting the hell out of this whereas Apple has done no promotion at all. It's almost as if because it's not an Apple Music exclusive they couldn't give a crap. Also I don't think Jimmy Iovine or Dre have a history with Prince so maybe that has something to do with it.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/24/17 4:50am

feeluupp

avatar

rogifan said:

http://www.gomn.com/news/...n-spotify/
Spotify users have streamed more than 2 million hours’ worth of Prince tracks since Feb. 12 (when his music became available). And he’s been added to nearly 7 million playlists.
Of course the most played tracks are quite predictable. I do find it interesting that Spotify is promoting the hell out of this whereas Apple has done no promotion at all. It's almost as if because it's not an Apple Music exclusive they couldn't give a crap. Also I don't think Jimmy Iovine or Dre have a history with Prince so maybe that has something to do with it.

Dr. Dre's band before NWA was Prince inspired. Just watched a documentary on Hip Hop and DJ Yella said Dre and his band was inspired by Prince and the Purple Rain type fashion. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/24/17 5:26am

laurarichardso
n

rogifan said:

http://www.gomn.com/news/just-how-much-prince-are-people-streaming-on-spotify/

Spotify users have streamed more than 2 million hours’ worth of Prince tracks since Feb. 12 (when his music became available). And he’s been added to nearly 7 million playlists.

Of course the most played tracks are quite predictable. I do find it interesting that Spotify is promoting the hell out of this whereas Apple has done no promotion at all. It's almost as if because it's not an Apple Music exclusive they couldn't give a crap. Also I don't think Jimmy Iovine or Dre have a history with Prince so maybe that has something to do with it.

--Dr Dre has no control over Apple Music. Apple is a large company that does not see Prince's catalogue as not being any different than anyone else's.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/24/17 6:40am

rogifan

laurarichardson said:

rogifan said:

http://www.gomn.com/news/just-how-much-prince-are-people-streaming-on-spotify/


Of course the most played tracks are quite predictable. I do find it interesting that Spotify is promoting the hell out of this whereas Apple has done no promotion at all. It's almost as if because it's not an Apple Music exclusive they couldn't give a crap. Also I don't think Jimmy Iovine or Dre have a history with Prince so maybe that has something to do with it.

--Dr Dre has no control over Apple Music. Apple is a large company that does not see Prince's catalogue as not being any different than anyone else's.

Dre might not but Jimmy Iovine certainly does.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/24/17 6:43am

LBrent

Wow. Sounds like Spotify is taking the streaming of P's back catalogue very seriously. I would've expected that from Tidal since they got the entire back catalogue, but Spotify seems to want to really capitalize on the opportunity.

Good. If Spotify shows the rest of the streaming services how successful streaming P's work is, maybe the rest will be motivated to promote it more aggressively.

smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/24/17 7:09am

rogifan

LBrent said:

Wow. Sounds like Spotify is taking the streaming of P's back catalogue very seriously. I would've expected that from Tidal since they got the entire back catalogue, but Spotify seems to want to really capitalize on the opportunity.



Good. If Spotify shows the rest of the streaming services how successful streaming P's work is, maybe the rest will be motivated to promote it more aggressively.



smile


I hope so. It pisses me off that Apple Music seems to be so nonchalant about having his music now. Then again I couldn't care less for Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre or Trent Reznor so...
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/24/17 7:37am

lwr001

jimmy was the producer of stand back by stevie nicks

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/24/17 7:55am

RodeoSchro

avatar

The estate has probably realized a cool $100 in pure profit!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/24/17 8:19am

rogifan

RodeoSchro said:

The estate has probably realized a cool $100 in pure profit!


And lost nothing.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/24/17 8:20am

RodeoSchro

avatar

rogifan said:

RodeoSchro said:

The estate has probably realized a cool $100 in pure profit!

And lost nothing.



That really wasn't my point.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/24/17 8:51am

NouveauDance

avatar

The map thing is pretty cool showing which regions are listening to Prince.

.

WTF Asia! mad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/24/17 9:32am

laurarichardso
n

rogifan said:

RodeoSchro said:

The estate has probably realized a cool $100 in pure profit!

And lost nothing.

But gained nothing at a time when they need to maximize profits.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/24/17 9:34am

laurarichardso
n

rogifan said:

laurarichardson said:
--Dr Dre has no control over Apple Music. Apple is a large company that does not see Prince's catalogue as not being any different than anyone else's.
Dre might not but Jimmy Iovine certainly does.

Jimmy Iovine a majority shareholder in Apple? Does he sit on the board of directors of Apple. Because that is how you have say.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/24/17 11:19am

rogifan

laurarichardson said:



rogifan said:


laurarichardson said:
--Dr Dre has no control over Apple Music. Apple is a large company that does not see Prince's catalogue as not being any different than anyone else's.

Dre might not but Jimmy Iovine certainly does.

Jimmy Iovine a majority shareholder in Apple? Does he sit on the board of directors of Apple. Because that is how you have say.


What are you taking about? Jimmy Iovine is directly involved in Apple Music. Apple Music was born after Apple acquired Iovine and Dre's company Beats.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/24/17 11:22am

rogifan

laurarichardson said:



rogifan said:


RodeoSchro said:

The estate has probably realized a cool $100 in pure profit!



And lost nothing.

But gained nothing at a time when they need to maximize profits.


And what would they be gaining if his music wasn't on Spotify? As far as I know putting his music on Spotify isn't stopping the estate from doing anything else.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/24/17 11:35am

gandorb

NouveauDance said:

The map thing is pretty cool showing which regions are listening to Prince.

.

WTF Asia! mad

And even more surprising is the lack of action in Canada. Is Spotify just not widespread there or Canadians just ignoring Prince. His concerts and music did reasonably well there.

[Edited 2/24/17 14:07pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/24/17 1:22pm

LeeChristmas

avatar

laurarichardson said:



rogifan said:


RodeoSchro said:

The estate has probably realized a cool $100 in pure profit!



And lost nothing.

But gained nothing at a time when they need to maximize profits.



They've kept Prince's profile in thd public consciousness in the interim period until the Purple Rain reissue, and I'm sure that I'm not the only person on the planet who will go and buy a CD when they discover something on Spotify that they really love.
Lurking since '07
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/24/17 1:53pm

laurarichardso
n

LeeChristmas said:

laurarichardson said:



rogifan said:


RodeoSchro said:

The estate has probably realized a cool $100 in pure profit!



And lost nothing.

But gained nothing at a time when they need to maximize profits.



They've kept Prince's profile in thd public consciousness in the interim period until the Purple Rain reissue, and I'm sure that I'm not the only person on the planet who will go and buy a CD when they discover something on Spotify that they really love.

--Many ways you could keep in the public consciousness and make more money than earning pennies.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/24/17 2:29pm

rogifan

laurarichardson said:

LeeChristmas said:



They've kept Prince's profile in thd public consciousness in the interim period until the Purple Rain reissue, and I'm sure that I'm not the only person on the planet who will go and buy a CD when they discover something on Spotify that they really love.

--Many ways you could keep in the public consciousness and make more money than earning pennies.

Like what? And don't mention the vault because I think they aren't anywhere close to being able to release stuff from the vault.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/24/17 2:43pm

SoulAlive

rogifan said:

http://www.gomn.com/news/...n-spotify/
Spotify users have streamed more than 2 million hours’ worth of Prince tracks since Feb. 12 (when his music became available). And he’s been added to nearly 7 million playlists.

This is wonderful.It's one of the ways that Prince's music will live on and attract new listeners.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/24/17 2:55pm

LeeChristmas

avatar

laurarichardson said:

LeeChristmas said:



They've kept Prince's profile in thd public consciousness in the interim period until the Purple Rain reissue, and I'm sure that I'm not the only person on the planet who will go and buy a CD when they discover something on Spotify that they really love.

--Many ways you could keep in the public consciousness and make more money than earning pennies.


The Spotify deal has resulted in literally millions of peop!e listening to Prince's music, no doubt including many new fans. I fail to see what is negative about this - what do you suggest would have been a better idea?
Lurking since '07
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/24/17 3:09pm

LBrent

LeeChristmas said:

laurarichardson said:
--Many ways you could keep in the public consciousness and make more money than earning pennies.
The Spotify deal has resulted in literally millions of peop!e listening to Prince's music, no doubt including many new fans. I fail to see what is negative about this - what do you suggest would have been a better idea?

Exactly!

Plus, I kinda feel like new fans will sorta relive what we longer-standing fans lived as it happened...like hearing an album and seeing the movie or searching for the bootleg of the live performance, then when those are officially released by the estate new fans will buy higher quality DVDs of those same performances. It's win/win, no?

I'm excited to relive my fan journey along with new fans and tell how we saw it all happen firsthand. Lol

smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 02/24/17 3:25pm

gandorb

LBrent said:

LeeChristmas said:

laurarichardson said: The Spotify deal has resulted in literally millions of peop!e listening to Prince's music, no doubt including many new fans. I fail to see what is negative about this - what do you suggest would have been a better idea?

Exactly!

Plus, I kinda feel like new fans will sorta relive what we longer-standing fans lived as it happened...like hearing an album and seeing the movie or searching for the bootleg of the live performance, then when those are officially released by the estate new fans will buy higher quality DVDs of those same performances. It's win/win, no?

I'm excited to relive my fan journey along with new fans and tell how we saw it all happen firsthand. Lol

smile

Exactly Exactly biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 02/24/17 6:32pm

laurarichardso
n

LeeChristmas said:

laurarichardson said:


--Many ways you could keep in the public consciousness and make more money than earning pennies.


The Spotify deal has resulted in literally millions of peop!e listening to Prince's music, no doubt including many new fans. I fail to see what is negative about this - what do you suggest would have been a better idea?

--It is great that people are listening but the estate can make more money getting vault material out and into our hands to buy. Renting is not buying. The estate could also make money with merchandise the trademarks are in place already. Putting songs in T.V. and movies. A YouTube Red Channel with live footage with or an official YouTube channel with revenue generating advertising. I can keep going but someone with more degrees on their wall then I should be doing these already. I also do not understand the excitement concerning the masses listening to his music do some of you really need your taste to be validated by others?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 02/24/17 6:48pm

laytonian

laurarichardson said:



rogifan said:


RodeoSchro said:

The estate has probably realized a cool $100 in pure profit!



And lost nothing.

But gained nothing at a time when they need to maximize profits.


.
Forbes estimates earnings of $25'MILLION in 2017 from streaming and the Purple Rain box set.

http://www.forbes.com/sit...to-follow/
.
[Edited 2/24/17 18:50pm]
Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 02/24/17 7:09pm

LeeChristmas

avatar

laurarichardson said:

LeeChristmas said:



The Spotify deal has resulted in literally millions of peop!e listening to Prince's music, no doubt including many new fans. I fail to see what is negative about this - what do you suggest would have been a better idea?

--It is great that people are listening but the estate can make more money getting vault material out and into our hands to buy. Renting is not buying. The estate could also make money with merchandise the trademarks are in place already. Putting songs in T.V. and movies. A YouTube Red Channel with live footage with or an official YouTube channel with revenue generating advertising. I can keep going but someone with more degrees on their wall then I should be doing these already. I also do not understand the excitement concerning the masses listening to his music do some of you really need your taste to be validated by others?


Obviously vault material is forthcoming, it's highly unfortunate that those in charge of the estate seem to be in some form of disagreement, but as you know Purple Rain deluxe is out in less than 4 months. I have read on this forum that one of Prince's songs has appeared in a recent advert so no doubt more deals of that nature will be taking place. I completely agree about your YouTube channel idea but again I can't help thinking these delays are down to Prince not leaving a will. He's only been gone 10 months and things are moving, I just think a little patience is needed. And your final comment seems to completely miss the point. I'm sure nobody here needs validation of their love for Prince's music. It's more that it is comforting and wonderful to think that despite Prince no longer being here, the widespread love for his music goes on. People who may never have listened to Prince or have lost touch with his music are no doubt discovering new songs on Spotify that they connect with emotionally as we all have, and the thought that Prince is carrying on in that fashion for so many people is such a positive, amazing thing.
[Edited 2/24/17 19:11pm]
Lurking since '07
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 02/24/17 7:40pm

SoulAlive

laurarichardson said:

LeeChristmas said:



The Spotify deal has resulted in literally millions of peop!e listening to Prince's music, no doubt including many new fans. I fail to see what is negative about this - what do you suggest would have been a better idea?

--It is great that people are listening but the estate can make more money getting vault material out and into our hands to buy. Renting is not buying. The estate could also make money with merchandise the trademarks are in place already. Putting songs in T.V. and movies. A YouTube Red Channel with live footage with or an official YouTube channel with revenue generating advertising. I can keep going but someone with more degrees on their wall then I should be doing these already. I also do not understand the excitement concerning the masses listening to his music do some of you really need your taste to be validated by others?


I'm sure that the estate are gonna do some big things but it takes time to sort everything out,make deals,sign new contracts,etc.But in the meantime,it is great that Prince's music is getting this type of exposure and is now accessible everywhere.You need to look at the big picture.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 02/24/17 8:01pm

UncleJam

avatar

A few of my co-workers have come to me with confused looks on their faces. For years I have praised Prince, after his death they are interested, now listening to the streams...and all asking me, "Why is the sound so low? i have to blast it!" I have told them, "I know, I know...the remasters are coming...hopefully."

Make it so, Number One...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 02/24/17 9:09pm

LBrent

laytonian said:

laurarichardson said:

But gained nothing at a time when they need to maximize profits.

. Forbes estimates earnings of $25'MILLION in 2017 from streaming and the Purple Rain box set. http://www.forbes.com/sit...to-follow/ . [Edited 2/24/17 18:50pm]

That sounds like alot, but how can we tell how P's back catalogue streaming is stacking up compared to other folks' music streaming during that same time period?

[Edited 2/25/17 0:22am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 02/24/17 11:55pm

rogifan

How many people have YouTube Red subscriptions (or would sign up for one because of Prince)? And how much money do artists make off that? Let's not forget Prince went after YouTube too (though he deleted his rants from Twitter).

U5F7T.png

Bottom line is having his music on streaming services doesn't prevent any of this other stuff from happening. I'm glad his music is being appreciated by more people. I don't see why that's a bad thing.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Spotify numbers: 2M hours streamed; added to 7M playlists