independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's best BASS tracks?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 02/26/17 10:56pm

databank

avatar

bluegangsta said:

jazzvirtuoso said:

BAMBI The thing about Andre is (imho), he let Prince get away with alot of shit. I can only imagine that there are probably a few other tunes that was originally Andre's idea, but maybe he felt closer to Prince than the other way around, was in awe of P's talent or maybe, just maybe most all of the stuff Jesse says about Prince is true, maybe Prince was an asshole. On the other hand and this is also confirmed by Jesse that P often gave writing credits where none was due! Now wheter this was a credit SWAP, him feeling generous or something else who knows. But even Prince admitted that he had two sides, and they both got along lol.

Jesse has provided evidence that Jungle Love was originaly his. Why hasn't Andre done this same with any of all he's claimed to have created?

I don't know that Jesse has ever presented any evidence of anything. The evidence we have comes from the Nilsen/Uptown research at the Library of Congress when it comes to the ICC tracks, and there is no evidence at all concerning The Belle Of St. Mark.

What kind of proof could André possibly present of anything anyway? If he came-up with basslines during rehearsals it's unlikely he has the tapes and even if he did, I don't think he cares. As for Do Me, Baby there seems to exist an early recording of it sang by him, at least according to Nilsen/Uptown, that has been acknowledged to exist by various sources.

Y'all make it sound as if André was like going at war with P, trying to make a claim or get credits or royalties or anything. He doesn't give a fuck. It's likely André isn't even the person who told Per Nilsen about Do Me, Baby, I think it was Pepé or some other associates from that time.

As for Let's Work and Controversy, André revealed that in passing during interviews and isn't that what interviews are for? Revealing behind the scenes infos?

I think André gave Prince credit and praise when credit and praise was due, he's shown nothing but love for his "brother", as he puts it himself, in recent interviews. He sounds like a happy and balanced person, certainly not some bitter dude with ego problems. If he says he came-up with those musical ideas it's likely to be true. I agree though that for the sake of research it'd be better if it was corroborated by other bandmembers (as they attended the rehearsals it could easily be done), but the same goes with any piece of info given by any former collaborator in any interview: we could assume Philip Lasseter, Jill Jones, Susan R. or Eric Leeds for example invented half the stories they've told in the recent Poscastjuice interviews, but it sounds more reasonable to assume that the stories are true unless contradicted by another source, or then we can't assume anything said by anyone to be true anymore, and we end-up living in an anguishing metaphysical vacuum.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 02/27/17 12:24am

bluegangsta

avatar

databank said:

bluegangsta said:

Jesse has provided evidence that Jungle Love was originaly his. Why hasn't Andre done this same with any of all he's claimed to have created?

I don't know that Jesse has ever presented any evidence of anything. The evidence we have comes from the Nilsen/Uptown research at the Library of Congress when it comes to the ICC tracks, and there is no evidence at all concerning The Belle Of St. Mark.

What kind of proof could André possibly present of anything anyway? If he came-up with basslines during rehearsals it's unlikely he has the tapes and even if he did, I don't think he cares. As for Do Me, Baby there seems to exist an early recording of it sang by him, at least according to Nilsen/Uptown, that has been acknowledged to exist by various sources.

Y'all make it sound as if André was like going at war with P, trying to make a claim or get credits or royalties or anything. He doesn't give a fuck. It's likely André isn't even the person who told Per Nilsen about Do Me, Baby, I think it was Pepé or some other associates from that time.

As for Let's Work and Controversy, André revealed that in passing during interviews and isn't that what interviews are for? Revealing behind the scenes infos?

I think André gave Prince credit and praise when credit and praise was due, he's shown nothing but love for his "brother", as he puts it himself, in recent interviews. He sounds like a happy and balanced person, certainly not some bitter dude with ego problems. If he says he came-up with those musical ideas it's likely to be true. I agree though that for the sake of research it'd be better if it was corroborated by other bandmembers (as they attended the rehearsals it could easily be done), but the same goes with any piece of info given by any former collaborator in any interview: we could assume Philip Lasseter, Jill Jones, Susan R. or Eric Leeds for example invented half the stories they've told in the recent Poscastjuice interviews, but it sounds more reasonable to assume that the stories are true unless contradicted by another source, or then we can't assume anything said by anyone to be true anymore, and we end-up living in an anguishing metaphysical vacuum.

Jesse posted the original demo of Jungle Love on his faceBook page a couple of weeks ago.

If memory serves me correctly, Andre stated that he has his original demo of Do Me Baby.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 02/27/17 1:18am

databank

avatar

bluegangsta said:

databank said:

I don't know that Jesse has ever presented any evidence of anything. The evidence we have comes from the Nilsen/Uptown research at the Library of Congress when it comes to the ICC tracks, and there is no evidence at all concerning The Belle Of St. Mark.

What kind of proof could André possibly present of anything anyway? If he came-up with basslines during rehearsals it's unlikely he has the tapes and even if he did, I don't think he cares. As for Do Me, Baby there seems to exist an early recording of it sang by him, at least according to Nilsen/Uptown, that has been acknowledged to exist by various sources.

Y'all make it sound as if André was like going at war with P, trying to make a claim or get credits or royalties or anything. He doesn't give a fuck. It's likely André isn't even the person who told Per Nilsen about Do Me, Baby, I think it was Pepé or some other associates from that time.

As for Let's Work and Controversy, André revealed that in passing during interviews and isn't that what interviews are for? Revealing behind the scenes infos?

I think André gave Prince credit and praise when credit and praise was due, he's shown nothing but love for his "brother", as he puts it himself, in recent interviews. He sounds like a happy and balanced person, certainly not some bitter dude with ego problems. If he says he came-up with those musical ideas it's likely to be true. I agree though that for the sake of research it'd be better if it was corroborated by other bandmembers (as they attended the rehearsals it could easily be done), but the same goes with any piece of info given by any former collaborator in any interview: we could assume Philip Lasseter, Jill Jones, Susan R. or Eric Leeds for example invented half the stories they've told in the recent Poscastjuice interviews, but it sounds more reasonable to assume that the stories are true unless contradicted by another source, or then we can't assume anything said by anyone to be true anymore, and we end-up living in an anguishing metaphysical vacuum.

Jesse posted the original demo of Jungle Love on his faceBook page a couple of weeks ago.
And you tell me that now?!

If we wanted to play devil's advocate he could have recorded it in his bedroom yesterday so that's hardly a proof of anything, but anyway there was absultely no ambiguity regarding his involvement in the track and he certainly didn't post it as "evidence" but more as a document we'd enjoy having.
If memory serves me correctly, Andre stated that he has his original demo of Do Me Baby.

It's likely he'd have kept a copy, of course.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 02/27/17 1:21am

databank

avatar

^I see he mentions Bite The Beat as well, but he didn't release it did he?

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 02/27/17 2:56am

bluegangsta

avatar

databank said:

^I see he mentions Bite The Beat as well, but he didn't release it did he?

That might be the case, but Jesse's proven Jungle Love (which is a much more significant contribution than Bite The Beat) is still better than Andre's zero evidence.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 02/27/17 3:26am

databank

avatar

bluegangsta said:

databank said:

^I see he mentions Bite The Beat as well, but he didn't release it did he?

That might be the case, but Jesse's proven Jungle Love (which is a much more significant contribution than Bite The Beat) is still better than Andre's zero evidence.

The purpose of my question was to hear it not to go into "show me solid evidence that your dick is indeed bigger than Prince's" game.

I still fail to see why you guys are having this attitude of suspicion towards people, unless you're having trust issues. Most of times, when people make statements they're telling the truth. What sort of benefit could there be for anyone in claiming they wrote a bass line here or programmed a drum machine there if they didn't?

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 02/27/17 4:14am

laurarichardso
n

databank said:

bluegangsta said:

That might be the case, but Jesse's proven Jungle Love (which is a much more significant contribution than Bite The Beat) is still better than Andre's zero evidence.

The purpose of my question was to hear it not to go into "show me solid evidence that your dick is indeed bigger than Prince's" game.

I still fail to see why you guys are having this attitude of suspicion towards people, unless you're having trust issues. Most of times, when people make statements they're telling the truth. What sort of benefit could there be for anyone in claiming they wrote a bass line here or programmed a drum machine there if they didn't?

They want fame and let's be honest most people outside of the Prince community do not even know who Andre is.

I find it funny that on this board associates who have good things to say about Prince and especially women are automatically branded liars.

When someone has something negative to say with no proof they must be telling the truth.

Once again if people like dre did not work out some written agreement that they would be more than a "work for hire" musician then they have no claim and if you have no claim you need to close your mouth.

I find it interesting that later Prince had musicians sign agreements actually telling them they would not get credit. You would think they would have figured this out as professional musicians.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 02/27/17 4:33am

bluegangsta

avatar

databank said:

bluegangsta said:

That might be the case, but Jesse's proven Jungle Love (which is a much more significant contribution than Bite The Beat) is still better than Andre's zero evidence.

The purpose of my question was to hear it not to go into "show me solid evidence that your dick is indeed bigger than Prince's" game.

I still fail to see why you guys are having this attitude of suspicion towards people, unless you're having trust issues. Most of times, when people make statements they're telling the truth. What sort of benefit could there be for anyone in claiming they wrote a bass line here or programmed a drum machine there if they didn't?

Don't trivialise my argument by comparing it to a dick-measuring contest. That only weakens your argument to those who are intelligent enough to see through that utter bullshit you just spouted.

Andre has been making claims for years that he is the originator of a number of Prince songs - with zero evidence. My comparison wth Jesse was simply to illustrate that another example has been less vocal, but has provided proof.

I'm not going to be an apologist for either Prince, Jesse or Andre. I made my point two posts ago and you're just being an obnoxious contrarian for the sake of it.


Like everyone, Prince had unoriginal ideas - it's been prooven with a multitude of cases - but I'm not going to take someone at their word just because the timeline might fit or even that their claims are plausable. That is the mindset of a fool.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 02/27/17 4:42am

databank

avatar

bluegangsta said:

databank said:

The purpose of my question was to hear it not to go into "show me solid evidence that your dick is indeed bigger than Prince's" game.

I still fail to see why you guys are having this attitude of suspicion towards people, unless you're having trust issues. Most of times, when people make statements they're telling the truth. What sort of benefit could there be for anyone in claiming they wrote a bass line here or programmed a drum machine there if they didn't?

Don't trivialise my argument by comparing it to a dick-measuring contest. That only weakens your argument to those who are intelligent enough to see through that utter bullshit you just spouted.

Andre has been making claims for years that he is the originator of a number of Prince songs - with zero evidence. My comparison wth Jesse was simply to illustrate that another example has been less vocal, but has provided proof.

I'm not going to be an apologist for either Prince, Jesse or Andre. I made my point two posts ago and you're just being an obnoxious contrarian for the sake of it.


Like everyone, Prince had unoriginal ideas - it's been prooven with a multitude of cases - but I'm not going to take someone at their word just because the timeline might fit or even that their claims are plausable. That is the mindset of a fool.

There's no need to be rude or agressive like that.

Have it your way, I'm not on André's payroll to be talked to like that for his sake.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 02/27/17 10:55am

GustavoRibas

avatar

RJOrion said:

nisibee said:

Was going to say Sexy Dancer as well Mononeon covered it the other day...

.


https://www.instagram.com...4HE2EDmeS/

[Edited 2/24/17 12:11pm]

Mononeon is my favorite musician right now...its obvious why Prince invited him to Paisley Park...virtuoso on bass and rhythm guitar...clip after clip...

.

AGREE. I am in love with MonoNeon´s Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/u...heMonoNeon) and I recommend it to anyone who loved Prince´s bass playing. He is VERY influenced by Prince and very creative and versatile

[Edited 2/27/17 10:57am]

Peace
Gustavo Ribas
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 02/27/17 11:32am

roxy831

avatar

Stare

Do It All Night (had such a cute bass line)

Interactive

Last Heart

What's My Name

I know there's soooo many others, but that's what's in my car right now....lol biggrin

Welcome home class. We've come a long way. - RIP Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 02/27/17 1:29pm

3rdEyeUnlimite
d

avatar

Koo Koo (it's only one note but it's a funky one)

The Poster Formerly Known As Elephants and Flowers
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 03/04/17 12:43pm

RJOrion

dodger said:

Time


If I Was Your Girlfriend


If I Love U 2 Nite (his 87 version)



just listened to if i was your girlfriend a minute ago...hell yeah u right
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 03/04/17 4:11pm

beautyunaffect
ed

avatar

Feel u up

i think i want ya
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 03/05/17 7:24am

GustavoRibas

avatar

I was listening to ´Release it´ (Graffiti Bridge) and Prince plays a very funky bass there.

Peace
Gustavo Ribas
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 03/05/17 10:47am

RJOrion

oh shit... "My Medallion"... jimmyjam style synth bass
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 03/05/17 12:36pm

luvsexy4all

joint 2 joint

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 03/05/17 7:51pm

indyangel66

Hide the Bone...had a great bass towards the middle of the song.
Love for the past and hope for future!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 03/06/17 5:42am

trc1

avatar

Just As Long As We're Together - starts at 3:28 and continues for the remainder of the song. Jam on P. Jam on.
"I don't make the rules. I just play"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 03/06/17 5:56am

CherryMoon57

avatar

There are so many but the ones that immediately spring to mind are 'Let's Work' and 'Lady Cab Driver'...

Life Matters
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 03/06/17 6:42am

Lianachan

avatar

rogifan said:

Alphabet Street


It tends to get overlooked, but it has some of his best recorded bass playing on it.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge"" ~ Isaac Asimov
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's best BASS tracks?