independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 15th Dec 2019 4:49am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Speculation on "2 concert films" included on the PR reissue
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 02/15/17 7:18am

Chas

avatar

I think the speculation is correct that it'll be the Syracuse show and the 8/3/83 First Avenue show.

It would kind of "bookend" the era. Plus, how easy would it be for them to market it like "hear the actual show where Purple Rain was recorded." Also, it would stifle (at least a little bit) the bootleggers who have long circulated that show. Who would want to buy the 5th generation vhs-to-dvd copy when you can get a 1st generation blu-ray. Even if the quality is only as good as the original copy, it's still better than the bootlegs.

But then again, they could just release Syracuse and another random pr show.

My $0.02

Chas

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 02/16/17 3:22pm

bonatoc

avatar

Chas said:

I think the speculation is correct that it'll be the Syracuse show and the 8/3/83 First Avenue show.

It would kind of "bookend" the era. Plus, how easy would it be for them to market it like "hear the actual show where Purple Rain was recorded." Also, it would stifle (at least a little bit) the bootleggers who have long circulated that show. Who would want to buy the 5th generation vhs-to-dvd copy when you can get a 1st generation blu-ray. Even if the quality is only as good as the original copy, it's still better than the bootlegs.

But then again, they could just release Syracuse and another random pr show.

My $0.02

Chas


Speaking of which, I remember seeing a long guitar solo at the end of "Take Me With U", but I don't remember TMWU ending on a guitar solo that long (Prince jumps around the stage with Wendy and Mark), yet it looked like Syracuse, so maybe I'm an old fart who memory fails.

You know what would be great? The Miami rehearsal filmed!
"— A little more boxy. That's good."

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 02/16/17 6:06pm

kewlschool

avatar

The Purple Rain Tour is my guess along with Sheila E's concert with Prince. That's my theory, not my first wish releases (just that they have been both released before) but not on DVD or Bluray.

It could also be Purple Rain Tour and the 1999 tour. Or the Parade Birthday show? I guess will find out closer to the date of release.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 02/16/17 7:38pm

motherfunka

avatar

bonatoc said:

Chas said:

I think the speculation is correct that it'll be the Syracuse show and the 8/3/83 First Avenue show.

It would kind of "bookend" the era. Plus, how easy would it be for them to market it like "hear the actual show where Purple Rain was recorded." Also, it would stifle (at least a little bit) the bootleggers who have long circulated that show. Who would want to buy the 5th generation vhs-to-dvd copy when you can get a 1st generation blu-ray. Even if the quality is only as good as the original copy, it's still better than the bootlegs.

But then again, they could just release Syracuse and another random pr show.

My $0.02

Chas


Speaking of which, I remember seeing a long guitar solo at the end of "Take Me With U", but I don't remember TMWU ending on a guitar solo that long (Prince jumps around the stage with Wendy and Mark), yet it looked like Syracuse, so maybe I'm an old fart who memory fails.

You know what would be great? The Miami rehearsal filmed!
"— A little more boxy. That's good."

That was the Take Me With U promo video. It was shot at the Summit in Houston, TX during the Purple Rain tour. I don't know if the whole show was filmed.

TRUE BLUE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 02/17/17 4:29pm

bonatoc

avatar

motherfunka said:

bonatoc said:


Speaking of which, I remember seeing a long guitar solo at the end of "Take Me With U", but I don't remember TMWU ending on a guitar solo that long (Prince jumps around the stage with Wendy and Mark), yet it looked like Syracuse, so maybe I'm an old fart who memory fails.

You know what would be great? The Miami rehearsal filmed!
"— A little more boxy. That's good."

That was the Take Me With U promo video. It was shot at the Summit in Houston, TX during the Purple Rain tour. I don't know if the whole show was filmed.


Thanks for the info.

hmmm pray


The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 02/18/17 6:40am

RumAndRaisin

avatar

it'l be the previously released PR + Lovesexy shows...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 02/18/17 7:45am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

I'm really liking the idea of one show from the official tour, and one club date. Hope they do the same for every album.

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 02/19/17 3:57pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

RumAndRaisin said:

it'l be the previously released PR + Lovesexy shows...

umm source?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 02/20/17 2:01am

Rebeljuice

Well, whatever is released it wont be in widescreen unless there is anything that was actually filmed in widescreen, which TV broadcasts and video recordings were not in those days. I suppose it is possible there is film in the vaults of the tour which had potential plans for cinema release that were then scrapped. But I suspect we will get 4:3 ratio that may have been digitally cleaned up. Possibly zoomed in to fit wide screen? The quality would have to be good for that to work though, Im guessing.


Not sure why everyone is suggesting it will be the Syracuse concert though. Wasn't that released and owned by the TV company that broadcast it? If there is anything in the Vault that WB can stake a claim to without needing a 3rd party, I am sure they would rather release that than profit share with someone else.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 02/20/17 6:22am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

Rebeljuice said:

Well, whatever is released it wont be in widescreen unless there is anything that was actually filmed in widescreen, which TV broadcasts and video recordings were not in those days. I suppose it is possible there is film in the vaults of the tour which had potential plans for cinema release that were then scrapped. But I suspect we will get 4:3 ratio that may have been digitally cleaned up. Possibly zoomed in to fit wide screen? The quality would have to be good for that to work though, Im guessing.


Not sure why everyone is suggesting it will be the Syracuse concert though. Wasn't that released and owned by the TV company that broadcast it? If there is anything in the Vault that WB can stake a claim to without needing a 3rd party, I am sure they would rather release that than profit share with someone else.


If they have any sense/class at all, they'll release them as-is, 4x3 ratio (pillarboxed), just like the music videos included with the films. Zooming in for 16x9 would be criminally stupid.

As for Syracuse, I just pulled out my old VHS of the show and the only credit (on the package, anyway) is to Warner Home Video. Maybe someone who has a watchable copy handy can check the credits?

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 02/20/17 7:18am

purpleprime

I hope the concerts are blu-ray releases.....dvd is sooo 2001.....SOTT concert blu-ray from Australia is excellent..., also I wonder if they are going to be released sepratley or all together??

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 02/20/17 7:43am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

Sign o' the Times was shot on film, so it's perfectly appropriate for blu-ray. But a lot of these concerts (and music videos) were shot on SD video. So, transferring those to blu-ray gains us nothing, unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a blu-ray enthusiast as well, but putting standard-def concerts on blu-ray would just amount to extra expense for no visual gain.

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 02/20/17 12:11pm

LeGrinde

avatar

eyewishuheaven said:

Rebeljuice said:

Well, whatever is released it wont be in widescreen unless there is anything that was actually filmed in widescreen, which TV broadcasts and video recordings were not in those days. I suppose it is possible there is film in the vaults of the tour which had potential plans for cinema release that were then scrapped. But I suspect we will get 4:3 ratio that may have been digitally cleaned up. Possibly zoomed in to fit wide screen? The quality would have to be good for that to work though, Im guessing.


Not sure why everyone is suggesting it will be the Syracuse concert though. Wasn't that released and owned by the TV company that broadcast it? If there is anything in the Vault that WB can stake a claim to without needing a 3rd party, I am sure they would rather release that than profit share with someone else.


If they have any sense/class at all, they'll release them as-is, 4x3 ratio (pillarboxed), just like the music videos included with the films. Zooming in for 16x9 would be criminally stupid.

As for Syracuse, I just pulled out my old VHS of the show and the only credit (on the package, anyway) is to Warner Home Video. Maybe someone who has a watchable copy handy can check the credits?

I think it is just Warner Home Video too. I wonder how many shows on the Purple Rain tour were professionally filmed with soundboard audio? Atlanta was, NY, Dallas?.... New Orleans?(personal wish!)

If Syracuse has ANY entanglments, they could choose any other proshot show from the tour!

But what exists?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 02/20/17 1:38pm

bluegangsta

avatar

eyewishuheaven said:

Sign o' the Times was shot on film, so it's perfectly appropriate for blu-ray. But a lot of these concerts (and music videos) were shot on SD video. So, transferring those to blu-ray gains us nothing, unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a blu-ray enthusiast as well, but putting standard-def concerts on blu-ray would just amount to extra expense for no visual gain.

HD audio would be the main benifit. And entirely worth it IMO.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 02/20/17 3:39pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

eyewishuheaven said:

Rebeljuice said:

Well, whatever is released it wont be in widescreen unless there is anything that was actually filmed in widescreen, which TV broadcasts and video recordings were not in those days. I suppose it is possible there is film in the vaults of the tour which had potential plans for cinema release that were then scrapped. But I suspect we will get 4:3 ratio that may have been digitally cleaned up. Possibly zoomed in to fit wide screen? The quality would have to be good for that to work though, Im guessing.


Not sure why everyone is suggesting it will be the Syracuse concert though. Wasn't that released and owned by the TV company that broadcast it? If there is anything in the Vault that WB can stake a claim to without needing a 3rd party, I am sure they would rather release that than profit share with someone else.


If they have any sense/class at all, they'll release them as-is, 4x3 ratio (pillarboxed), just like the music videos included with the films. Zooming in for 16x9 would be criminally stupid.

As for Syracuse, I just pulled out my old VHS of the show and the only credit (on the package, anyway) is to Warner Home Video. Maybe someone who has a watchable copy handy can check the credits?


yeahthat I'd rather see the entire recording with borders than a cropped picture any day.

REEFER MADNESS!
Joe Biden still thinks marijuana is a gateway drug:
https://www.businessinsid...t-2019-11/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 02/20/17 3:40pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

bluegangsta said:

eyewishuheaven said:

Sign o' the Times was shot on film, so it's perfectly appropriate for blu-ray. But a lot of these concerts (and music videos) were shot on SD video. So, transferring those to blu-ray gains us nothing, unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a blu-ray enthusiast as well, but putting standard-def concerts on blu-ray would just amount to extra expense for no visual gain.

HD audio would be the main benifit. And entirely worth it IMO.


Wouldn't PCM lossless audio on a DVD do the trick?

REEFER MADNESS!
Joe Biden still thinks marijuana is a gateway drug:
https://www.businessinsid...t-2019-11/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 02/21/17 12:53am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

jmfd said:

Syracuse 1985 for sure.

The other recording is a mystery. Would be nice if it were the 08-03-1983 First Ave show. BUT it was recorded via VCR, thus the source for it would not be really worthy of a professional release by a major label.

.

Oh for crying out loud: https://en.wikipedia.org/...y_16,_1988

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 02/21/17 12:57am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

love2thenines2003 said:

in their Vault at WB Chapel offices

.

You have no clue what Warner/Chappell Music does, as evidenced by the multiple misspellings in their name.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 02/21/17 2:42am

paulludvig

BartVanHemelen said:



love2thenines2003 said:


in their Vault at WB Chapel offices

.


You have no clue what Warner/Chappell Music does, as evidenced by the multiple misspellings in their name.



What do you think will be included?
The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 02/23/17 9:17am

Farfunknugin

avatar

This place is worse than Wickipedia, PRINCIPEDIA?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Speculation on "2 concert films" included on the PR reissue