independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 15th Dec 2019 2:45am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Speculation on "2 concert films" included on the PR reissue
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 02/14/17 12:51am

bonatoc

avatar

IstenSzek said:

bluegangsta said:

Why?

If the master tape was even close to what we have, that's a a sad state of affairs. Otherwise, that doesn't mean second, third or even fourth generation copies wouldn't exist with better quality.


you know, i just keep thinking about the quality of "moonbeam levels" on 4ever,
compared to the last few bootleg versions of it we had. and then i pray for better lol pray


My thoughts exactly.

The last bootleg of "Moonbeam Levels" was perfection, the way analog recordings should be digitally mastered.
The released version was so flat that, aside from personal tastes, is maybe one of the reasons people weren't so impressed.

Let's hope the "Purple Rain" remaster won't be a Loudness Wars slaughter.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 02/14/17 1:25am

RicoN

avatar

SquirrelMeat said:

It could be DVD releases of the previous VHS Purple Rain and Lovesexy shows.

Equally, it could be the Parade broadcast, or one of the pro shot shows being shown at the park, like Diamonds & Pearls or Piano & a Microphone.

It will be purple rain era, they wouldn't make it so messy by messing around with eras like that.

Hamburger, Hot Dog, Root Beer, Pussy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 02/14/17 1:34am

love2thenines2
003

bonatoc said:



IstenSzek said:




bluegangsta said:



Why?

If the master tape was even close to what we have, that's a a sad state of affairs. Otherwise, that doesn't mean second, third or even fourth generation copies wouldn't exist with better quality.




you know, i just keep thinking about the quality of "moonbeam levels" on 4ever,
compared to the last few bootleg versions of it we had. and then i pray for better lol pray




My thoughts exactly.

The last bootleg of "Moonbeam Levels" was perfection, the way analog recordings should be digitally mastered.
The released version was so flat that, aside from personal tastes, is maybe one of the reasons people weren't so impressed.

Let's hope the "Purple Rain" remaster won't be a Loudness Wars slaughter.




It depends where WB picked up the unreleased stuff due for release. ..in their Vault at WB Chapel offices=MIXDOWNS VERSIONS or from Paisley Park's Vault = Master. ....don't forget that Prince has intentionnaly destroyed some of his Masters from some 80's songs since early 2000's!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 02/14/17 1:43am

LIBRA

I say songs that didn't make the cut for PR like Electtric intercourse and Wednesday

And the 1999 follow up Album. Thats the music closest to PR and around that time.

[Edited 2/14/17 1:53am]

Everybody's lookin 4 the ladder, it's in the garage
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 02/14/17 3:05am

JorisE73

bluegangsta said:

rapper said:

I thought the First Avenue show was shared from the master tape that was privatly owned? That would rule that out if so.

Why?

If the master tape was even close to what we have, that's a a sad state of affairs. Otherwise, that doesn't mean second, third or even fourth generation copies wouldn't exist with better quality.

On the Prince Omnibus Documentary from the early 90's they show a little bit of the show, specificaly Purple Rain in great quality. The best bootleg DVD is probably The Makings Of Rain but that one has this Purple filter over it and the Omnibus Documenatry version doensn't and that one is much much sharper. And the verison in the documentary came from Prince. So in Paisley Park's vault there is a low generation copy or maybe even the original tape of the show that could be released.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 02/14/17 3:44am

leecaldon

love2thenines2003 said:

bonatoc said:


My thoughts exactly.

The last bootleg of "Moonbeam Levels" was perfection, the way analog recordings should be digitally mastered.
The released version was so flat that, aside from personal tastes, is maybe one of the reasons people weren't so impressed.

Let's hope the "Purple Rain" remaster won't be a Loudness Wars slaughter.

It depends where WB picked up the unreleased stuff due for release. ..in their Vault at WB Chapel offices=MIXDOWNS VERSIONS or from Paisley Park's Vault = Master. ....don't forget that Prince has intentionnaly destroyed some of his Masters from some 80's songs since early 2000's!

I have not heard this before.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 02/14/17 4:06am

love2thenines2
003

leecaldon said:



love2thenines2003 said:


bonatoc said:



My thoughts exactly.

The last bootleg of "Moonbeam Levels" was perfection, the way analog recordings should be digitally mastered.
The released version was so flat that, aside from personal tastes, is maybe one of the reasons people weren't so impressed.

Let's hope the "Purple Rain" remaster won't be a Loudness Wars slaughter.



It depends where WB picked up the unreleased stuff due for release. ..in their Vault at WB Chapel offices=MIXDOWNS VERSIONS or from Paisley Park's Vault = Master. ....don't forget that Prince has intentionnaly destroyed some of his Masters from some 80's songs since early 2000's!


I have not heard this before.



Yes he did. ...this was confirmed unfortunately by one of his Engineer in an interview recently ...he's destroyed a lot of his Master of his dirty songs....this is so SAD!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 02/14/17 4:22am

RicoN

avatar

love2thenines2003 said:

leecaldon said:

I have not heard this before.

Yes he did. ...this was confirmed unfortunately by one of his Engineer in an interview recently ...he's destroyed a lot of his Master of his dirty songs....this is so SAD!

Really? can you provide any links?

Hamburger, Hot Dog, Root Beer, Pussy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 02/14/17 4:53am

love2thenines2
003

RicoN said:



love2thenines2003 said:


leecaldon said:



I have not heard this before.



Yes he did. ...this was confirmed unfortunately by one of his Engineer in an interview recently ...he's destroyed a lot of his Master of his dirty songs....this is so SAD!


Really? can you provide any links?




Interview Ian Boxill, Paisley Park ingineer
"He had stopped swearing completely and didn’t like anyone using foul language around him. He even had masters of his songs destroyed that had cursing or too sexual of a topic."

http://www.huffingtonpost...80828.html
[Edited 2/14/17 4:58am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 02/14/17 5:00am

Kara

avatar

love2thenines2003 said:

RicoN said:



love2thenines2003 said:


leecaldon said:



I have not heard this before.



Yes he did. ...this was confirmed unfortunately by one of his Engineer in an interview recently ...he's destroyed a lot of his Master of his dirty songs....this is so SAD!


Really? can you provide any links?




Interview de Ian Boxill, un temps ingénieur à Paisley Park
"He had stopped swearing completely and didn’t like anyone using foul language around him. He even had masters of his songs destroyed that had cursing or too sexual of a topic."

http://www.huffingtonpost...80828.html

Some additional information from a thread Ian Boxill responded to...


http://prince.org/msg/7/427905

Ian Boxill here. As requested by one of your board mates i will answer a few questions.

As far as the tapes destroyed, These were songs that were recorded prior to 2001 I believe, so they are songs prior to me working with him. I was told this by some of the guys that were working at Paisley at the time. I am not sure which masters were destroyed but I believe some were released songs like Sexy MF and other songs that were explicit and had cursing on them. Hope that helps.
Having been in the vault with him on many occasions there are still a lot of tapes in there that seemed to be unreleased music. He would always have me look for songs there and it would take me a while to go through all the tapes because it’s in no particular order. Whatever is still in the vault will be released eventually I am 100% sure.


Referring to "Sexy MF"...

http://prince.org/msg/7/427905?&pg=2

Whatever was in his possesion was destroyed, I assume that would have been the multitrack. Hopefully the master 2 track is in the hands of WB still.

[Edited 2/14/17 5:21am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 02/14/17 5:48am

Phishanga

avatar

I seriously hope this person is out of his mind, mentally ill and a pathalogical liar. confused

Hey loudmouth, shut the fuck up, right?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 02/14/17 5:56am

love2thenines2
003

Phishanga said:

I seriously hope this person is out of his mind, mentally ill and a pathalogical liar. confused



Other solution...if Prince was....?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 02/14/17 6:07am

RicoN

avatar

Kara said:

love2thenines2003 said:
Referring to "Sexy MF"...
http://prince.org/msg/7/427905?&pg=2 Whatever was in his possesion was destroyed, I assume that would have been the multitrack. Hopefully the master 2 track is in the hands of WB still.
[Edited 2/14/17 5:21am]



That is shit. But thanks. (not sure why I can only reply in this grey box)

Hamburger, Hot Dog, Root Beer, Pussy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 02/14/17 6:19am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

My guesses are:

Dec 26 1984: Saint Paul Civic Center Arena

April 7, 1985: Miami Orange Bow


EDIT: and I am going to say it will not be Syracuse. The Press Release said from the Vault...that indicates unreleased.

[Edited 2/14/17 6:24am]

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 02/14/17 7:08am

djThunderfunk

avatar

bonatoc said:

IstenSzek said:


you know, i just keep thinking about the quality of "moonbeam levels" on 4ever,
compared to the last few bootleg versions of it we had. and then i pray for better lol pray


My thoughts exactly.

The last bootleg of "Moonbeam Levels" was perfection, the way analog recordings should be digitally mastered.
The released version was so flat that, aside from personal tastes, is maybe one of the reasons people weren't so impressed.

Let's hope the "Purple Rain" remaster won't be a Loudness Wars slaughter.


I hope I'm wrong, but, I've been predicting a Loudness Wars remaster since the Purple Rain release was first mentioned 3 years ago. I totally expect to hate the remaster and therefore am focusing only on the bonuses included.

We can "hope" but the odds are against us.

REEFER MADNESS!
Joe Biden still thinks marijuana is a gateway drug:
https://www.businessinsid...t-2019-11/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 02/14/17 8:02am

hw3004

TheDigitalGardener said:

I think it'll be two main shows from the PR tour, one of which will be Syracuse. I'm guessing that the First Ave gigs would have been recorded on video cameras, not film (isn't there a big difference in quality between the two?), so maybe picture quality isn't what we'd hope it would be from the smaller gigs, and as a result aren't worth releasing without people being dissatisfied.

Like I said, I'm guessing.

...I'm hoping the work done for Springsteen's Darkness and River box sets is the template for this. I think it's pretty much a given that the quality won't be 4K but if we're going back to the original source tapes I'm sure the quality of whatever was filmed would be acceptable to most...I think the main requirement though would be multi camera footage.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 02/14/17 9:01am

bonatoc

avatar

hw3004 said:

TheDigitalGardener said:

I think it'll be two main shows from the PR tour, one of which will be Syracuse. I'm guessing that the First Ave gigs would have been recorded on video cameras, not film (isn't there a big difference in quality between the two?), so maybe picture quality isn't what we'd hope it would be from the smaller gigs, and as a result aren't worth releasing without people being dissatisfied.

Like I said, I'm guessing.

...I'm hoping the work done for Springsteen's Darkness and River box sets is the template for this. I think it's pretty much a given that the quality won't be 4K but if we're going back to the original source tapes I'm sure the quality of whatever was filmed would be acceptable to most...I think the main requirement though would be multi camera footage.


Don't set your expectations too high.

WB ain't Columbia. Best would have been to give Rhino the full project.
There are serious people out there, who love music and are fully aware of what audio legacy is.

About the masters destroying, man, if he erased "Darling Nikki", I'm going to the Afterworld this instant and spank him something' good!

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 02/14/17 9:39am

Farfunknugin

avatar

I guess it also depends on how they want to treat the releases going forward.

I'm guessing they'll be going by era/yr which would mean 2 purple rain related shows. It's possible 1st Ave gets a release along with Syracuse . They could do a main show/aftershow format for every release if they wanted which would be fine with me.

[Edited 2/14/17 9:40am]

[Edited 2/14/17 9:40am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 02/14/17 9:44am

Farfunknugin

avatar

databank said:

TwiliteKid said:

databank said: It doesn't.

What I thought.

falloff

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 02/14/17 10:06am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

I'm definately thinking the August 1983 Dance Benefit show

I would love the 6.7.1984 Birthday show

but a different concert outside of the Syracuse show, maybe an LA show with Sheila E opening

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 02/14/17 10:15am

SmiggyG

avatar

At 1st read I figured it'd most likely be the Syracuse and Atlanta shows. After reading it again it says unreleased so I don't know what they will be. One of them still may be Syracuse in a current-gen format. I'm not rulling that out.

I'd love the 1st Avenue gig to be one of them but I don't expect it will happen. It's such a historic show and would be a perfect fit for a Purple Rain compilation.

"Hey, I got the butta 4 ya muffin, honey.. I'm just 2 old 2 hold the knife!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 02/14/17 11:29am

TwiliteKid

avatar

EnDoRpHn said:

kewlschool said:

It doesn't say it's all 1 package deal. It could be sold seperately or in parts.

My point exactly. You said it was PR Deluxe + one additional album and two DVDs. It clearly say two additional albums.

You guys can't be serious - the sub-head literally spells it out: "Deluxe Remaster version of Purple Rain with two albums of previously unreleased Prince recordings from the Paisley Park Vault and two complete concert films arriving June 9"

This is OBVIOUSLY a single package.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 02/14/17 11:49am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

TwiliteKid said:

EnDoRpHn said:

My point exactly. You said it was PR Deluxe + one additional album and two DVDs. It clearly say two additional albums.

You guys can't be serious - the sub-head literally spells it out: "Deluxe Remaster version of Purple Rain with two albums of previously unreleased Prince recordings from the Paisley Park Vault and two complete concert films arriving June 9"

This is OBVIOUSLY a single package.

interesting: i am much more interested in the "new" stuff than I am of a simple remaster of the original PR tracks and even more so on the concerts (assuming they are normal PR shows and not something special)

So if they were sold individually or as a set... I would still get the set but I am not sure how soon I would watch the concerts.

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 02/14/17 12:20pm

LeGrinde

avatar

SmiggyG said:

At 1st read I figured it'd most likely be the Syracuse and Atlanta shows. After reading it again it says unreleased so I don't know what they will be. One of them still may be Syracuse in a current-gen format. I'm not rulling that out.

I'd love the 1st Avenue gig to be one of them but I don't expect it will happen. It's such a historic show and would be a perfect fit for a Purple Rain compilation.

Atlanta was one of my guesses, but I wasn't sure it was filmed by more than one stationary camera (I truly have no idea--it may have been).

If it truly will be 2 previously unreleased full concerts, again, I would hope it would the 83 First Ave show. It is the most historically significant regarding Purple Rain----it is literally the foundation of the songs Purple Rain, I Would Die 4 u and Baby I'm a Star. The video that has been circulating for years isn't bad, and I would assume a 1st generation, professionally cleaned version would be more than releasable (I would point everyone to a recently released Elvis Presley box that included newly discovered fan-recorded video synced to the soundboard. This is called Prince From Another Planet--Elvis Presley at Madison Square Garden. And this is 1972 video with big chunks missing. Certainly they can work with that Fisrt Ave video)

I originally thought Syracuse was the shoe-in, but technically it has been released before. I saw Prince in Feb of '85 on the PR tour in New Orleans' Superdome. I'd love any show other than Syracuse, so long as it was filmed professionally.

I suspect there is a better quality version of the First Ave gig out there. And if the full show was recorded by the mobile sound truck that we know recorded a few tracks used in the movie, syncing perfect sound to slightly imperfect video has been done before

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 02/14/17 12:46pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

I wish they'd would do a House of Blues series & release every show/aftershow he's done there over the years.

Having been to a few of them they are right up there with my favorite shows I ever saw/heard.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 02/14/17 12:57pm

motherfunka

avatar

Farfunknugin said:

I wish they'd would do a House of Blues series & release every show/aftershow he's done there over the years.

Having been to a few of them they are right up there with my favorite shows I ever saw/heard.

I'd like a Glam Slam series. I know some of them were professionally filmed, although that would only cover 1991-1995.

TRUE BLUE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 02/14/17 1:41pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

motherfunka said:

Farfunknugin said:

I wish they'd would do a House of Blues series & release every show/aftershow he's done there over the years.

Having been to a few of them they are right up there with my favorite shows I ever saw/heard.

I'd like a Glam Slam series. I know some of them were professionally filmed, although that would only cover 1991-1995.

x2 electric boogaloo

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 02/14/17 1:43pm

bluegangsta

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

My guesses are:

Dec 26 1984: Saint Paul Civic Center Arena

April 7, 1985: Miami Orange Bow


EDIT: and I am going to say it will not be Syracuse. The Press Release said from the Vault...that indicates unreleased.

[Edited 2/14/17 6:24am]

Why though? Not only are those concerts mostly the same, but there is no information available to indicate that they were specially shot (Like Syracuse or Washington), nor were they particularly special concerts?

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 02/14/17 4:49pm

databank

avatar

Ian Boxill also says this on the thread: "Obvioulsy some fans had some mental health issues. You are never quite sure when someone could turn violent."

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 02/14/17 10:26pm

AnonymousFan

HerecomethePurpleYoda said:

We know! But we're not sayin' shhh

Let's just say, it's something that shall not be missed. wink

Hey Purpy! Haven't seen you in a while! Why don't you hold a Q&A session on here sometime?

[Edited 2/14/17 22:27pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Speculation on "2 concert films" included on the PR reissue