independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Estate Discussion - Part 6 - Continued
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 11 of 46 « First<789101112131415>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #300 posted 01/19/17 4:42pm

Menes

I just read this and can't say for certain if it's accurate...

1. In July , 2015, Prince and Roc Nation entered into a 5 year agreement wherein Prince granted worldwide streaming rights for three forthcoming albums and agreed not to grant exclsuive rights to his music to any other didgital streaming service. Isnt this still in effect?

2. NPG/NPG Publishing entered into an exclusive worldwide distribution agreement," granting Tidal the right to stream the entire catalog of music , with some exceptions" . Isn't this still in effect?

3. The term of the second agreement was three years, or until full recoupment of the advance given to Prince. Paid up?

My question is how would Phaedra or Londell gain access to what/how much is being streamed more than they should be (unless its just that "exception" part)? How could they modify the existing agreement one way or the other without the expressed written consent of Prince ( who is deceased)?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #301 posted 01/19/17 4:50pm

ladygirl99

laurarichardson said:

ladygirl99 said:

WEALTH CULTURE
Prince Put Music Before Money. His Estate Is Ready to Cash In

https://www.bloomberg.com...ly-guarded

I posted another article about the details of his estate and how the handlers will make money and plus it look like they reduce the PP tours amount.

But damn quite a few people are going to be involve even though Prince was a complicated man in life and business.

Also I agree with this quote in the article:

"Though the impulse to control his catalog inspired fellow artists, it limited Prince’s exposure and hurt the value of his music." I and several others on the org (and even Questlove said this too) that Prince was hurting his legacy by kept his music off the internet pre-Tidal deal. So therefore the estate has some work to cut out to get his music to and keep his music in the mass.

Wrong he sold the most music last year and he forced people go out and but it since you could only stream it on Tidal and he got a higher royalty rate. He got the last laugh. If he had all that music on different streaming platforms he would have got the same old pennies everybody else was getting. I think it was Forbes that said the estate brought in 20 million in sales much better than 20,000.00 especially when the estate needs money for taxes. [Edited 1/19/17 16:16pm]

He only sold a lot last year because of his death, duh. That also happened to the likes of David Bowie and George Michael. The question is whether his exposure is going continue for years to come or will he be pretty much forgotten. Yes I read that Forbes article too and again his sales only spike up because of his death. I stand by what I said that Prince should had used the streaming services as a promotion opportunity as he was getting older and usually legacy is more important. I am not saying Prince shouldn't care about money just because he was richer but he was in a good position that legacy should had been the main focus so his heirs can be at ease and still eat several generations from now. The article is on point imo!

[Edited 1/19/17 16:58pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #302 posted 01/19/17 4:50pm

rogifan

DD55 said:



1Sasha said:


One thing completely stunned me - I had never thought about it until a couple of years ago - but state tax departments require artists to pay taxes in their states if they make money in those particular jurisdictions. So if an artist goes on tour to 30 states, that is 30 tax jurisdictions to file in. Being an entertainer, as Prince was, requires a massive amount of legal and financial assistance. Unfortunately, whomever he entrusted these services to did not or could not successfully address end-of-life matters with him. So, IMO, these people patting themselves on the back for getting his masters back ... congratulate yourself about an absolutely unnecessary $100 million dollar tax bill.





Just a thought but why do you all care about this tax bill? The bottom line is that people (siblings) who had zero input in the creative process and/or making of the music are getting less money. Money they did nothing to earn in the first place. Seems like perfect P logic to me.






And why should the government get it? The state of Minnesota also had zero input on the creative process and/or making of the music...
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #303 posted 01/19/17 4:53pm

rogifan

laurarichardson said:

DD55 said:



1Sasha said:


One thing completely stunned me - I had never thought about it until a couple of years ago - but state tax departments require artists to pay taxes in their states if they make money in those particular jurisdictions. So if an artist goes on tour to 30 states, that is 30 tax jurisdictions to file in. Being an entertainer, as Prince was, requires a massive amount of legal and financial assistance. Unfortunately, whomever he entrusted these services to did not or could not successfully address end-of-life matters with him. So, IMO, these people patting themselves on the back for getting his masters back ... congratulate yourself about an absolutely unnecessary $100 million dollar tax bill.





Just a thought but why do you all care about this tax bill? The bottom line is that people (siblings) who had zero input in the creative process and/or making of the music are getting less money. Money they did nothing to earn in the first place. Seems like perfect P logic to me.






That may well have been P's point. His family did nothing to earn that money so why should anyone be worried that it is going off to taxes. Also a will would not have stopped taxes only a trust.

Well the state of Minnesota did nothing to earn it either. I'd rather it stayed with the Estate and went to making Paisley Park an even better place to visit.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #304 posted 01/19/17 4:55pm

rogifan

ladygirl99 said:

WEALTH CULTURE
Prince Put Music Before Money. His Estate Is Ready to Cash In




https://www.bloomberg.com...ly-guarded



I posted another article about the details of his estate and how the handlers will make money and plus it look like they reduce the PP tours amount.



But damn quite a few people are going to be involve even though Prince was a complicated man in life and business.



Also I agree with this quote in the article:



"Though the impulse to control his catalog inspired fellow artists, it limited Prince’s exposure and hurt the value of his music." I and several others on the org (and even Questlove said this too) that Prince was hurting his legacy by kept his music off the internet pre-Tidal deal. So therefore the estate has some work to cut out to get his music to and keep his music in the mass.


It's easy to put music before money when he was still here tour, put out new music and do one off gigs like SXSW or some billionaires New Year's Eve bash when he needed money. None of that exists now.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #305 posted 01/19/17 5:09pm

morningsong

Menes said:

I just read this and can't say for certain if it's accurate...

1. In July , 2015, Prince and Roc Nation entered into a 5 year agreement wherein Prince granted worldwide streaming rights for three forthcoming albums and agreed not to grant exclsuive rights to his music to any other didgital streaming service. Isnt this still in effect?

2. NPG/NPG Publishing entered into an exclusive worldwide distribution agreement," granting Tidal the right to stream the entire catalog of music , with some exceptions" . Isn't this still in effect?

3. The term of the second agreement was three years, or until full recoupment of the advance given to Prince. Paid up?

My question is how would Phaedra or Londell gain access to what/how much is being streamed more than they should be (unless its just that "exception" part)? How could they modify the existing agreement one way or the other without the expressed written consent of Prince ( who is deceased)?




If this is true, it makes a whole lot of what's going on a bit clearer.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #306 posted 01/19/17 5:13pm

morningsong

rogifan said:

DD55 said:

Just a thought but why do you all care about this tax bill? The bottom line is that people (siblings) who had zero input in the creative process and/or making of the music are getting less money. Money they did nothing to earn in the first place. Seems like perfect P logic to me.



And why should the government get it? The state of Minnesota also had zero input on the creative process and/or making of the music...



It's the federal government that'll get the lion's share. I'm not sure where Prince stood, a lot of times he seemed quite conservative in areas, liberal in others, so personally, whether I agree with the concept or not, I think he wasn't as resistant, would be the best word I can think of right now, to that taxation.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #307 posted 01/19/17 5:25pm

laurarichardso
n

ladygirl99 said:



laurarichardson said:


ladygirl99 said:

WEALTH CULTURE
Prince Put Music Before Money. His Estate Is Ready to Cash In




https://www.bloomberg.com...ly-guarded



I posted another article about the details of his estate and how the handlers will make money and plus it look like they reduce the PP tours amount.



But damn quite a few people are going to be involve even though Prince was a complicated man in life and business.



Also I agree with this quote in the article:



"Though the impulse to control his catalog inspired fellow artists, it limited Prince’s exposure and hurt the value of his music." I and several others on the org (and even Questlove said this too) that Prince was hurting his legacy by kept his music off the internet pre-Tidal deal. So therefore the estate has some work to cut out to get his music to and keep his music in the mass.



Wrong he sold the most music last year and he forced people go out and but it since you could only stream it on Tidal and he got a higher royalty rate. He got the last laugh. If he had all that music on different streaming platforms he would have got the same old pennies everybody else was getting. I think it was Forbes that said the estate brought in 20 million in sales much better than 20,000.00 especially when the estate needs money for taxes. [Edited 1/19/17 16:16pm]

He only sold a lot last year because of his death, duh. That also happened to the likes of David Bowie and George Michael. The question is whether his exposure is going continue for years to come or will he be pretty much forgotten. Yes I read that Forbes article too and again his sales only spike up because of his death. I stand by what I said that Prince should had used the streaming services as a promotion opportunity as he was getting older and usually legacy is more important. I am not saying Prince shouldn't care about money just because he was richer but he was in a good position that legacy should had been the main focus so his heirs can be at ease and still eat several generations from now. The article is on point imo!






[Edited 1/19/17 16:58pm]


Good lord you are missing the fucking point. People went out and brought it not streamed it for a penny. The estate made big money when it is needed now the most. He made people buy his music how much more could he cement his legacy than go have people with the actual copies in their homes. The deal with Tidal if it stands has done expiration date and when it is over the music will be in other platforms with over 2000 songs in his catalog people are not going to forget Prince anytime soon. People still listen to Elvis, Duke Ellington an hoards of other deseased artist long before streaming came along.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #308 posted 01/19/17 5:51pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

laurarichardson said:

morningsong said:



eek

I thought the her documents were sealed. I bet it was Londell who wanted to have Pheadra fired so he could make Universal the administrator and maybe cut a deal for himself ( at least that is what he has been accused of) I never understood why they wanted to the administration away from NPG records. All of the money that is collected could have stayed in house.

I think the documents that were sealed were the NPG Music financial documents, and other P's companies she worked for as manager that Bremer asked her to hand over.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #309 posted 01/19/17 6:12pm

ladygirl99

laurarichardson said:

ladygirl99 said:

He only sold a lot last year because of his death, duh. That also happened to the likes of David Bowie and George Michael. The question is whether his exposure is going continue for years to come or will he be pretty much forgotten. Yes I read that Forbes article too and again his sales only spike up because of his death. I stand by what I said that Prince should had used the streaming services as a promotion opportunity as he was getting older and usually legacy is more important. I am not saying Prince shouldn't care about money just because he was richer but he was in a good position that legacy should had been the main focus so his heirs can be at ease and still eat several generations from now. The article is on point imo!

[Edited 1/19/17 16:58pm]

Good lord you are missing the fucking point. People went out and brought it not streamed it for a penny. The estate made big money when it is needed now the most. He made people buy his music how much more could he cement his legacy than go have people with the actual copies in their homes. The deal with Tidal if it stands has done expiration date and when it is over the music will be in other platforms with over 2000 songs in his catalog people are not going to forget Prince anytime soon. People still listen to Elvis, Duke Ellington an hoards of other deseased artist long before streaming came along.

But did Elvis and Duke Ellington determined to keep their music off on radio and jukeboxes at the restaurents because they got paid little to none with royalities? Keep in mind those days, there were less entertainment choices than it is now. The estate is definately going to have some work cut out to get Prince work out there to get the millinials and Gen Z and beyond expose to it.

My point is ONCE AGAIN, IN MY OPINION, Prince was in a good position to use his financial stability opportinity to use stream services focus more on promotion himself to the new generation less on the money like other artists/groups who are around his age group and still alive. And also kept his videos off Youtube where he had unlimited exposure to the next generation who are the main key to keep his legacy alive. He wasn't a new artist that desperately need the money. Apparently he said himself he was the 'here and now' guy so with that attitude that is why the estate are having some challenges situations right now. I like Prince and all but I am not a Princebot who agreed with everything he done.

Even the estate handlers said they have some work to do of keeping Prince's legacy alive due to had his music available on Tidal. Even on the org, some people refused to sign up for Tidal and those were some of his diehard fans. Now that the estate is trying to get his music on multiple platforms and with the licensing deal lets hope his legacy last years to come.

Like I stated before his big money sales was only because of his death but time will tell will that continues or dwindles.

[Edited 1/19/17 18:23pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #310 posted 01/19/17 6:20pm

ladygirl99

rogifan said:

ladygirl99 said:

WEALTH CULTURE
Prince Put Music Before Money. His Estate Is Ready to Cash In

https://www.bloomberg.com...ly-guarded

I posted another article about the details of his estate and how the handlers will make money and plus it look like they reduce the PP tours amount.

But damn quite a few people are going to be involve even though Prince was a complicated man in life and business.

Also I agree with this quote in the article:

"Though the impulse to control his catalog inspired fellow artists, it limited Prince’s exposure and hurt the value of his music." I and several others on the org (and even Questlove said this too) that Prince was hurting his legacy by kept his music off the internet pre-Tidal deal. So therefore the estate has some work to cut out to get his music to and keep his music in the mass.

It's easy to put music before money when he was still here tour, put out new music and do one off gigs like SXSW or some billionaires New Year's Eve bash when he needed money. None of that exists now.

I agree with you.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #311 posted 01/19/17 7:08pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

Tyka and Omarr are claiming Sharon Nelson is being personally represented by Londell and that she stated she would use Estate assets to further her own career as a jazz singer eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #312 posted 01/19/17 7:15pm

Lovejunky

Militant said:

Tyka and Omarr are claiming Sharon Nelson is being personally represented by Londell and that she stated she would use Estate assets to further her own career as a jazz singer eek

oh..!!

I dont know why I am laughing so hard right now...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #313 posted 01/19/17 7:18pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

Militant said:

Tyka and Omarr are claiming Sharon Nelson is being personally represented by Londell and that she stated she would use Estate assets to further her own career as a jazz singer eek

Londell has admitted this already in a meeting with Omarr and his attorney.

lol

[Edited 1/19/17 19:18pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #314 posted 01/19/17 7:22pm

PennyPurple

avatar

Militant said:

Tyka and Omarr are claiming Sharon Nelson is being personally represented by Londell and that she stated she would use Estate assets to further her own career as a jazz singer eek

Isn't she like 70 something? Why did she wait so long to be a jazz singer? Probably because Londell wants the $$$$ to help her along..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #315 posted 01/19/17 9:27pm

bilbolives

http://www.startribune.com/just-listed-two-prince-properties-sell/411268765/

The Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting on 2 parcels of land that used to belong to P being sold.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #316 posted 01/20/17 1:18am

rogifan

morningsong said:



rogifan said:


DD55 said:




Just a thought but why do you all care about this tax bill? The bottom line is that people (siblings) who had zero input in the creative process and/or making of the music are getting less money. Money they did nothing to earn in the first place. Seems like perfect P logic to me.







And why should the government get it? The state of Minnesota also had zero input on the creative process and/or making of the music...



It's the federal government that'll get the lion's share. I'm not sure where Prince stood, a lot of times he seemed quite conservative in areas, liberal in others, so personally, whether I agree with the concept or not, I think he wasn't as resistant, would be the best word I can think of right now, to that taxation.


I'm not trying to bring politics into this...I just don't get why the siblings are money grubbing horrible people (just seems to be the general feeling here, not you specifically) but if Uncle Sam gets a huge chunk of $$$ in estate taxes that's ok. I want the money to stay with the Estate because I want Paisley Park to be around for a long time and it will require $$ to make that happen.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #317 posted 01/20/17 4:27am

1Sasha

For me, if Prince had had end-of-life documents drawn up, I assume the groups he wanted to help would've been helped, the people he wanted to leave something to would've got a bit of money or personal effects, and of course some tax would be paid but nothing near what is due now. He did not come from a "blended" family - it seems there were three family units (at least) and there was nothing blended or seamless about them. Also, it must have been very hard to not have money while your sibling has worldwide fame and wealth - if any sibling felt slighted while he was alive, here is the chance to get as much as possible.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #318 posted 01/20/17 9:01am

morningsong

Militant said:

Tyka and Omarr are claiming Sharon Nelson is being personally represented by Londell and that she stated she would use Estate assets to further her own career as a jazz singer eek




We knew it was coming. This is the time for all of those big breaks. confused
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #319 posted 01/20/17 10:10am

laurarichardso
n

rogifan said:

morningsong said:



rogifan said:


DD55 said:




Just a thought but why do you all care about this tax bill? The bottom line is that people (siblings) who had zero input in the creative process and/or making of the music are getting less money. Money they did nothing to earn in the first place. Seems like perfect P logic to me.







And why should the government get it? The state of Minnesota also had zero input on the creative process and/or making of the music...



It's the federal government that'll get the lion's share. I'm not sure where Prince stood, a lot of times he seemed quite conservative in areas, liberal in others, so personally, whether I agree with the concept or not, I think he wasn't as resistant, would be the best word I can think of right now, to that taxation.


I'm not trying to bring politics into this...I just don't get why the siblings are money grubbing horrible people (just seems to be the general feeling here, not you specifically) but if Uncle Sam gets a huge chunk of $$$ in estate taxes that's ok. I want the money to stay with the Estate because I want Paisley Park to be around for a long time and it will require $$ to make that happen.

--The older sibs are money grubbing butt holes. It is all in the courts docs going back to when Lorna sued Prince back in the 90s right up to Sharon having Londell represent her as jazz singer. They are just as greedy and crooked.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #320 posted 01/20/17 11:36am

oliviacamron

avatar

rogifan said:

laurarichardson said:


That may well have been P's point. His family did nothing to earn that money so why should anyone be worried that it is going off to taxes. Also a will would not have stopped taxes only a trust.

Well the state of Minnesota did nothing to earn it either. I'd rather it stayed with the Estate and went to making Paisley Park an even better place to visit.
lets tell the state of Minnesota they better solve this case with all that money they got confused
[Edited 1/20/17 11:37am]
I asked Prince what he was planning to do. He told me , I'm going to look for the ladder. I asked him what that meant. All he said was, sometimes it snows in April. - book D.M.S.R.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #321 posted 01/20/17 12:35pm

Menes

PennyPurple said:

Militant said:

Tyka and Omarr are claiming Sharon Nelson is being personally represented by Londell and that she stated she would use Estate assets to further her own career as a jazz singer eek

Isn't she like 70 something? Why did she wait so long to be a jazz singer? Probably because Londell wants the $$$$ to help her along..

She will be charting soon on billboard. You watch. eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #322 posted 01/20/17 12:45pm

precioux

Menes said:

PennyPurple said:

Isn't she like 70 something? Why did she wait so long to be a jazz singer? Probably because Londell wants the $$$$ to help her along..

She will be charting soon on billboard. You watch. eek

...NOT! disbelief

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #323 posted 01/20/17 1:02pm

ladygirl99

Menes said:

PennyPurple said:

Isn't she like 70 something? Why did she wait so long to be a jazz singer? Probably because Londell wants the $$$$ to help her along..

She will be charting soon on billboard. You watch. eek

I am taking your comment seriously. lol Anything is possible in USA lol. The most unbelievable people find fame at times. Even reality show stars can be politicians hehe. But again Londell shouldn't also give her some type of false hope either.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #324 posted 01/20/17 1:10pm

Menes

ladygirl99 said:

Menes said:

She will be charting soon on billboard. You watch. eek

I am taking your comment seriously. lol Anything is possible in USA lol. The most unbelievable people find fame at times. Even reality show stars can be politicians hehe. But again Londell shouldn't also give her some type of false hope either.

If she charts within 5 lite years of any billboard chart rankings, I will renounce sex forever, to include self gratification or any nocturnal emissions.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #325 posted 01/20/17 1:11pm

precioux

ladygirl99 said:

Menes said:

She will be charting soon on billboard. You watch. eek

I am taking your comment seriously. lol Anything is possible in USA lol. The most unbelievable people find fame at times. Even reality show stars can be politicians hehe. But again Londell shouldn't also give her some type of false hope either.

AS long as he can line his pockets on the pretense off the coat tails of Prince...being she is his sister...HE WILL biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #326 posted 01/20/17 2:36pm

laurarichardso
n

Menes said:



ladygirl99 said:




Menes said:



She will be charting soon on billboard. You watch. eek



I am taking your comment seriously. lol Anything is possible in USA lol. The most unbelievable people find fame at times. Even reality show stars can be politicians hehe. But again Londell shouldn't also give her some type of false hope either.





If she charts within 5 lite years of any billboard chart rankings, I will renounce sex forever, to include self gratification or any nocturnal emissions.


Lol Well thank god for you Mrs. Sharon has no chance of charting as a jazz singer.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #327 posted 01/20/17 2:38pm

morningsong

laurarichardson said:

Menes said:

If she charts within 5 lite years of any billboard chart rankings, I will renounce sex forever, to include self gratification or any nocturnal emissions.

Lol Well thank god for you Mrs. Sharon has no chance of charting as a jazz singer.



I don't know, stranger things have happened.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #328 posted 01/20/17 2:43pm

laurarichardso
n

ladygirl99 said:



laurarichardson said:


ladygirl99 said:


He only sold a lot last year because of his death, duh. That also happened to the likes of David Bowie and George Michael. The question is whether his exposure is going continue for years to come or will he be pretty much forgotten. Yes I read that Forbes article too and again his sales only spike up because of his death. I stand by what I said that Prince should had used the streaming services as a promotion opportunity as he was getting older and usually legacy is more important. I am not saying Prince shouldn't care about money just because he was richer but he was in a good position that legacy should had been the main focus so his heirs can be at ease and still eat several generations from now. The article is on point imo!







[Edited 1/19/17 16:58pm]



Good lord you are missing the fucking point. People went out and brought it not streamed it for a penny. The estate made big money when it is needed now the most. He made people buy his music how much more could he cement his legacy than go have people with the actual copies in their homes. The deal with Tidal if it stands has done expiration date and when it is over the music will be in other platforms with over 2000 songs in his catalog people are not going to forget Prince anytime soon. People still listen to Elvis, Duke Ellington an hoards of other deseased artist long before streaming came along.

But did Elvis and Duke Ellington determined to keep their music off on radio and jukeboxes at the restaurents because they got paid little to none with royalities? Keep in mind those days, there were less entertainment choices than it is now. The estate is definately going to have some work cut out to get Prince work out there to get the millinials and Gen Z and beyond expose to it.



My point is ONCE AGAIN, IN MY OPINION, Prince was in a good position to use his financial stability opportinity to use stream services focus more on promotion himself to the new generation less on the money like other artists/groups who are around his age group and still alive. And also kept his videos off Youtube where he had unlimited exposure to the next generation who are the main key to keep his legacy alive. He wasn't a new artist that desperately need the money. Apparently he said himself he was the 'here and now' guy so with that attitude that is why the estate are having some challenges situations right now. I like Prince and all but I am not a Princebot who agreed with everything he done.



Even the estate handlers said they have some work to do of keeping Prince's legacy alive due to had his music available on Tidal. Even on the org, some people refused to sign up for Tidal and those were some of his diehard fans. Now that the estate is trying to get his music on multiple platforms and with the licensing deal lets hope his legacy last years to come.



Like I stated before his big money sales was only because of his death but time will tell will that continues or dwindles.


[Edited 1/19/17 18:23pm]


--Duke and the others had no choice but to have their music played on radio and jukeboxes because there are no other alternatives. We know have an alternative that is sending many artist to the poor house. Funny when Taylor Swift complained about streaming platform no one batted an eyeball. When she did not say anything he had not already stated. "What they offer in terms of payment is an insults. " Anyway if the rumors are true and Prince had a five year deal with title if you want to hear the music you need to sign up because Tidal is going to make sure that contract is honored.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #329 posted 01/20/17 3:28pm

nelcp777

laurarichardson said:

ladygirl99 said:

But did Elvis and Duke Ellington determined to keep their music off on radio and jukeboxes at the restaurents because they got paid little to none with royalities? Keep in mind those days, there were less entertainment choices than it is now. The estate is definately going to have some work cut out to get Prince work out there to get the millinials and Gen Z and beyond expose to it.

My point is ONCE AGAIN, IN MY OPINION, Prince was in a good position to use his financial stability opportinity to use stream services focus more on promotion himself to the new generation less on the money like other artists/groups who are around his age group and still alive. And also kept his videos off Youtube where he had unlimited exposure to the next generation who are the main key to keep his legacy alive. He wasn't a new artist that desperately need the money. Apparently he said himself he was the 'here and now' guy so with that attitude that is why the estate are having some challenges situations right now. I like Prince and all but I am not a Princebot who agreed with everything he done.

Even the estate handlers said they have some work to do of keeping Prince's legacy alive due to had his music available on Tidal. Even on the org, some people refused to sign up for Tidal and those were some of his diehard fans. Now that the estate is trying to get his music on multiple platforms and with the licensing deal lets hope his legacy last years to come.

Like I stated before his big money sales was only because of his death but time will tell will that continues or dwindles.

[Edited 1/19/17 18:23pm]

--Duke and the others had no choice but to have their music played on radio and jukeboxes because there are no other alternatives. We know have an alternative that is sending many artist to the poor house. Funny when Taylor Swift complained about streaming platform no one batted an eyeball. When she did not say anything he had not already stated. "What they offer in terms of payment is an insults. " Anyway if the rumors are true and Prince had a five year deal with title if you want to hear the music you need to sign up because Tidal is going to make sure that contract is honored.

The 5 year deal could have contention language, i.e. death. We are not privy to the language in the contract.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 11 of 46 « First<789101112131415>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Estate Discussion - Part 6 - Continued