independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 21st Oct 2019 5:36am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I Can't Make You Love Me
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 01/05/17 12:14pm

ForeverPaisley

TrivialPursuit said:

So, three people have famously covered the Allen Shamblin and Mike Reid penned tune. Bruce Hornsby played the piano on it, but did no co-writing. (He later added it to his set list in concert, often times.)

Bonnie Raitt put it on her Luck of the Draw album in 1991, the first version.

George Michael had already recorded it and had it as a track on Older, released January 1997, and had a very popular version on Unplugged.

prince covered it on Emancipation in 1996.


So - who did it best? My list is as noted above, 1, 2, and 3. Prince's addition of lyrics near the end, etc., makes an otherwise nice song turn hokey. GM's version is pure GM, but firmly pays homage to the original. Nothing beats Bonnie's version - the first that the public ever heard of the song at the time.

So, 1 to 3, how would you arrange the list? I hope people can listen to the song and not automatically put Prince first solely because they're a Prince fan. This is about the song itself, and who put out the best version.

Edited to correct Allen's first name spelling.

[Edited 12/27/16 13:35pm]

Darren Hayes has also covered this song and it's lovely.

I really like listening to the vocals on all 4 renditions, but yes, Bonnie Raitt's is tops.

Dance where y'are, just groove y'all.
canada
Commemorative Guitar Picks, Buttons & Magnets - check Marketplace 4 info
wave thumbs up!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 01/05/17 12:50pm

Genesia

avatar

I hate that song with a passion - and it is one of my biggest disappointments that Prince ever covered it.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 01/05/17 12:51pm

SoEas42

1. George Michael
2. Prince
3. Bonnie Raitt
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 01/05/17 1:32pm

jdcxc

Genesia said:

I hate that song with a passion - and it is one of my biggest disappointments that Prince ever covered it.



Curious...Why?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 01/05/17 1:34pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

ForeverPaisley said:

TrivialPursuit said:

So, three people have famously covered the Allen Shamblin and Mike Reid penned tune. Bruce Hornsby played the piano on it, but did no co-writing. (He later added it to his set list in concert, often times.)

Bonnie Raitt put it on her Luck of the Draw album in 1991, the first version.

George Michael had already recorded it and had it as a track on Older, released January 1997, and had a very popular version on Unplugged.

prince covered it on Emancipation in 1996.


So - who did it best? My list is as noted above, 1, 2, and 3. Prince's addition of lyrics near the end, etc., makes an otherwise nice song turn hokey. GM's version is pure GM, but firmly pays homage to the original. Nothing beats Bonnie's version - the first that the public ever heard of the song at the time.

So, 1 to 3, how would you arrange the list? I hope people can listen to the song and not automatically put Prince first solely because they're a Prince fan. This is about the song itself, and who put out the best version.

Edited to correct Allen's first name spelling.

[Edited 12/27/16 13:35pm]

Darren Hayes has also covered this song and it's lovely.

I really like listening to the vocals on all 4 renditions, but yes, Bonnie Raitt's is tops.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 01/05/17 2:51pm

runningbear

Not sure if any song has been 3 times over by Prince or associated artist, but with Bonnie working briefly with P, this song counts in my books...

Here is Candys version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0gLhhatcY8

I like all 3, but feel the most heartfelt version belongs to Bonnie, really like that Prince chose to cover such a great song though

merf
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 01/05/17 9:34pm

ForeverPaisley

laurarichardson said:

Astasheiks said:

Prince's Ghost should come back and "snip" slap your arse. bitchfight lol I Wish I Could see the look on his face saying his version wasn't that great! smile

Hey he knew some of his fans had no soul and would not know anything funky if it hit them in the head.

lol yeahthat

Dance where y'are, just groove y'all.
canada
Commemorative Guitar Picks, Buttons & Magnets - check Marketplace 4 info
wave thumbs up!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 01/06/17 12:27am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

Never been fond of this track in any version but I've always preferred the GM version to Prince's.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 01/06/17 3:04am

darkroman

Such a beautiful song covered by many people!

.

I always thought Prince did a good make turning a sensual song into something dirty.

.

By FAR the GEORGE MICHAEL version is exceptional. He hits the tone of that song perfectly.

.

George Michael's live and studio versions are both stunning.

.

I like George Michael's personal additional lyrics at the end of the studio version.

.

lol lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 01/06/17 3:20am

jjam

darkroman said:

Such a beautiful song covered by many people!

.

I always thought Prince did a good make turning a sensual song into something dirty.

Showing that he didn't have a clue what the song was about. One of Prince's biggest "fails".

Can't beat the original but, yeah, George Michael did it justice.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 01/06/17 3:23am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

So, three people have famously covered the Allen Shamblin and Mike Reid penned tune.

.

Numerous have. Including Adele. https://en.wikipedia.org/...ou_Love_Me

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 01/06/17 4:29am

Telecaster5

avatar

Why someone would cover this song is what puzzles me. But Prince made it his own.

[Edited 1/6/17 4:40am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 01/06/17 5:04am

novabrkr

GM did it the best. His vocal performance is excellent and the arrangement is tasteful.

I like the slight "Adore" vibe on Prince's version, but it sort of gets lost in the rest of the R&B-ish schmaltz included on the album. However, I think it's one of those tracks on the album that rewards the listenes after repeated plays.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 01/06/17 6:21am

NotACleverName

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:



Latin said:


Prince's version is good. He also added his own lyrics towards the end of the song. FYI.


Yeah, I mentioned that in my original post. I think the extra "in this bedroom slash church" stuff is just goofy A.F.



Especially...."just hold me close between your thighs"! Cringeworthy, for sure (imo). Disregarding that particular faux pas, I do feel he did emote some raw feeling throughout.
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence......." ~ DESIDERATA ~ Max Ehrmann
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 01/06/17 6:26am

jjam

But everything he says in the 2nd half goes against the meaning of the lyrics. It's a really sad song, and then Prince just has to go and feck it all up and add this seduction bollocks that's at odds with the rest of it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 01/06/17 10:17am

novabrkr

jjam said:

But everything he says in the 2nd half goes against the meaning of the lyrics. It's a really sad song, and then Prince just has to go and feck it all up and add this seduction bollocks that's at odds with the rest of it.


Well, it's hardly like people don't go through mood swings in situations like that.

"She doesn't want me".

"I'm going to make her want me."

"She doesn't want me".

"Im going to make her want me".

Repeat n times.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 01/06/17 11:56am

BEAUGARDE

I only liked Prince's & Tank's versions

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I Can't Make You Love Me