independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Bruce Springsteen discusses Prince in Rolling Stone intervie
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/17/16 10:24am

rogifan

Bruce Springsteen discusses Prince in Rolling Stone intervie

Nice comments from Bruce. cool

http://www.rollingstone.c...im-w445177

You obviously paid tribute to them onstage, but how much did the deaths of both David Bowie and Prince this year get under your skin?

It was a terrible shame. It was a great loss and a tragedy. I felt a great kinship with Prince. And he was a guy, when I'd go to see him, I'd say, "Oh, man, OK, back to the drawing board." There was a film of him on the Arsenio Hall show, where he plays a series of songs in a row. It's just some of the greatest showmanship I've ever seen. And he knew everything. He knew all about it, and then could put it to work. Just since the Sixties and Seventies and your Sam and Daves and your James Browns, he's one of the greatest showmen to come along. I studied that stuff a lot and put as much of it to use as I can with my talents. But he just took it to another level.

But when these guys go, does it give you a little boot in the ass or a reminder of the finite-ness of all of this?

Well, I think we all sit back and go, "What?" I couldn't believe it when I heard it. Any death gives you renewed sight. It's a part of what the dead pass on to us. A chance to look at our lives and look at the world again. It's just a powerful experience.
[Edited 10/17/16 10:27am]
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/17/16 10:28am

purplerabbitho
le

Amen.

I realize that Springsteen is considered the best live act around. But considering I am only a fan of a handful of his songs, I can't imagine him being nearly enjoyable as the live work I have seen from Prince. I think most objective people would have to agree that Prince was at least the second best live performer of the last 30 years.

rogifan said:

Nice comments from Bruce. cool https://twitter.com/funky...2319580160 Cu_BMvlWcAAtTFB.jpgCu_BMvoWYAAutVA.jpg

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/17/16 10:34am

Dibblekins

I love Bruce - but I'd agree with him that P. was on another level entirely.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/17/16 10:40am

rogifan

purplerabbithole said:

Amen. I realize that Springsteen is considered the best live act around. But considering I am only a fan of a handful of his songs, I can't imagine him being nearly enjoyable as the live work I have seen from Prince. I think most objective people would have to agree that Prince was at least the second best live performer of the last 30 years.


I'd say he was second to none.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/17/16 10:51am

1Sasha

I've seen both. Unfortunately, I never saw Prince between the late 70s and 2013. I did see him in 2013, when he was not as active - it was more of a PP houseparty on the road. I would have preferred more of a concert with him singing the catalogue. I think Bruce is the best today; but, in Prince's prime years, no one could have touched him. JMO

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/17/16 11:04am

jcurley

I just dont see how anyone could perform better. Springsteen is saying that himself. Springsteen is like a working class hero. I dont understand the suggestion of influence. Prince is skirting all over the shop and changing instruments. Springsteen is brilliant but its a completely different.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/17/16 11:34am

ufoclub

avatar

Actually if you're familiar with Springsteen's live shows and their structure, you would know that because Prince similarly watched him and attended his concerts, Prince took a lot from what Springsteen developed in the 70's and beyond to make a show into a full narrative experience.

They were fans of each other, and Prince, even late in the game, was reported to watch Springsteen from the side of the stage.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/17/16 12:16pm

dance4me3121

Ive never been a fan of Bruce Springsteen.His voice isn't very listenable but Im glad he knows prince is great.
[Edited 10/17/16 12:17pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/17/16 12:32pm

CalhounSq

avatar

Nice cool
heart prince I never met you, but I LOVE you & I will forever!! Thank you for being YOU - my little Princey, the best to EVER do it prince heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/17/16 12:35pm

CalhounSq

avatar

Umm, why are folks turning this into a contest?? He's acknowledging greatness & appreciating the magnitude of a fellow artist, wtf is not to like here? confused Y'all are so weird sometimes...
heart prince I never met you, but I LOVE you & I will forever!! Thank you for being YOU - my little Princey, the best to EVER do it prince heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/17/16 1:42pm

jdcxc

CalhounSq said:

Umm, why are folks turning this into a contest?? He's acknowledging greatness & appreciating the magnitude of a fellow artist, wtf is not to like here? confused Y'all are so weird sometimes...


I understand your point, but with me there is a sense that Prince was not given his due respect from music journalists and the music establishment. Just the fact that P did not make Rolling Stones initial Greatest Guitarists list still pisses me off. But that being said, Bruce has always showed the proper respect.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/17/16 2:19pm

dance4me3121

jdcxc said:

CalhounSq said:

Umm, why are folks turning this into a contest?? He's acknowledging greatness & appreciating the magnitude of a fellow artist, wtf is not to like here? confused Y'all are so weird sometimes...


I understand your point, but with me there is a sense that Prince was not given his due respect from music journalists and the music establishment. Just the fact that P did not make Rolling Stones initial Greatest Guitarists list still pisses me off. But that being said, Bruce has always showed the proper respect.

When was this list published? Didn't rolling stone magazine praise the "while my guitar gently weeps" solo?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/17/16 2:21pm

eightiesbrat

Very nice remarks. I was reminded of some comments Prince made about Bruce in a RS interview and in more recent years on The View he talked about admiring Bruce as a band leader especially.

here's what he said in Rolling Stone (1990):

I'm not real into Bruce Springsteen's music," he says, "but I have a lot of respect for his talent."

Prince and Springsteen occasionally exchange notes; in recalling a Springsteen concert he saw from backstage a few years back, Prince displays the respect of a general reviewing another man's army. "I admire the way he holds his audience — there's one man whose fans I could never take away," he says with a laugh. And how does he compare their stage tactics? "I'm not sure," says Prince. "But at one point, his band start going off somewhere. Springsteen turned around and shot the band one terrifying look. You know they got right back on it!"

We all want the stuff that's found in our wildest dreams. . .
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/17/16 2:43pm

Superconductor

avatar

I have a lot of respect for Bruce Springsteen. Saw him live 18 months ago and he played for 4 hours! I have never felt such a closeness between a musician and his audience as during Bruce's concert. The atmosphere was phenomenal. And I am not as big a fan of Bruce as I am of Prince. But I grew up with both of them in the eighties. I thoroughly enjoyed the concert and his band was turning on a dime just like Prince's bands. And he uses horns, too! Come to think of it, he is coming back to my neck of the woods, maybe I should go an see him again to compensate a little for the loss of Prince. Bruce Springsteen is one of the last greats and so genuine on stage.
...every night another symphony...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/17/16 2:55pm

jdcxc

dance4me3121 said:

jdcxc said:



I understand your point, but with me there is a sense that Prince was not given his due respect from music journalists and the music establishment. Just the fact that P did not make Rolling Stones initial Greatest Guitarists list still pisses me off. But that being said, Bruce has always showed the proper respect.

When was this list published? Didn't rolling stone magazine praise the "while my guitar gently weeps" solo?


Rolling Stone left him off the original list. In 2011, they rectified their mistake by putting him at #33, which was of course after his Rock and roll HOF shredding.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/17/16 2:56pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Prince & Bruce Springsteen

Image result for Prince and Bruce springsteen

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/17/16 3:10pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Superconductor said:

I have a lot of respect for Bruce Springsteen. Saw him live 18 months ago and he played for 4 hours! I have never felt such a closeness between a musician and his audience as during Bruce's concert. The atmosphere was phenomenal. And I am not as big a fan of Bruce as I am of Prince. But I grew up with both of them in the eighties. I thoroughly enjoyed the concert and his band was turning on a dime just like Prince's bands. And he uses horns, too! Come to think of it, he is coming back to my neck of the woods, maybe I should go an see him again to compensate a little for the loss of Prince. Bruce Springsteen is one of the last greats and so genuine on stage.

You must be from Oz...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/17/16 4:37pm

jdcxc

jdcxc said:

dance4me3121 said:


When was this list published? Didn't rolling stone magazine praise the "while my guitar gently weeps" solo?


Rolling Stone left him off the original list. In 2011, they rectified their mistake by putting him at #33, which was of course after his Rock and roll HOF shredding.


And side note: Ernie Isley was also left off that list.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/17/16 5:41pm

rogifan

jdcxc said:

dance4me3121 said:


When was this list published? Didn't rolling stone magazine praise the "while my guitar gently weeps" solo?


Rolling Stone left him off the original list. In 2011, they rectified their mistake by putting him at #33, which was of course after his Rock and roll HOF shredding.

#33 behind Joey Ramone. rolleyes
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/17/16 5:44pm

redpumps

avatar

Really likes, Bruce I know P had respect for Bruce & seem to really & enjoy his work & him as a artist as ..... well, but this just made me want to give a ( huge big hug) !!! Bruce just went to another level ...Love on P like that nod

heart

Honeybabe... honeyluv ~ how naturally ~sweet~

Smiling Makes Joy Come Alive........and Joy can never die .........yes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/17/16 6:21pm

floralelephant
s

avatar

There is a discussion going on right now here about Bruce and Prince here:

http://forums.stevehoffma...en.544900/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/17/16 6:28pm

jdcxc

floralelephants said:

There is a discussion going on right now here about Bruce and Prince here:

http://forums.stevehoffma...en.544900/


Fun comparisons, but to compare them musically is a joke.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Bruce Springsteen discusses Prince in Rolling Stone intervie