independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 15th Dec 2019 3:23pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Guitar.....Who here plays?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/15/16 9:28am

mothyham

Guitar.....Who here plays?

Do you search tabs or figure things out on your own?

I love playing prince's music on guitar and I often fixate on songs for days at a time.

This week has been Last December and The Love We Make.

Been playing them non-stop!!.

Anyone ever seen this guy's YouTube page where he teaches Prince songs?

https://www.youtube.com/p...A5YiowVFt0

it is REALLY cool and he is an amazing teacher.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/15/16 11:57am

mothyham

lol...thats what I thought.

no musicians.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/15/16 12:08pm

SENNISS

Me. I figure things out by ear smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/15/16 12:28pm

steakfinger

Figure it out on my own.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/15/16 8:40pm

branpierce

I play. When I was seventeen years old, I borrowed an acoustic guitar from my friend because my folks wouldn't let me buy one because my mother was convinced it was just a phase and I would play it a day or two and put it down. My friend was a Prince fan as well. He loaned me the guitar and Prince: the Hits 1 and 2 sheet music book (which included guitar chords at the top). Soon, I bought an electric and kept on trucking. I told my friends that I wasn't going to stop until I could play the solo from Purple Rain verbatim. I know that's cliche. I eventually did, and went on to perform it with a cover band hundreds of times. I'm a white guy in the South, so that was about all the Prince I could slip in the honky-tonk, but I know dozens of Prince tunes.

I do look up tabs for a basis, but so many of them are way, way off that you will probably have to adjust it. It can still be nice to have a starting place, though.

For all the Prince things I have marvelled over, picked apart, and tried to play, one that eludes me to this day is that crazy intro guitar to When Doves Cry. I can even watch the YouTube videos of someone breaking it down, but I can never get it. It's so spontaneous, and yet so planned out at the same time. Just an example of the kind of genius we are dealing with here.

If I had to make a declaration for my favorite Prince solo (official release), I would go Morning Papers first.

There, that was fun.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/16/16 3:04pm

PeteSilas

plenty of guitarists here, they are probably somewhere practicing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/16/16 6:53pm

Noodled24

Actually stumbled over this guys channel the other week. His Prince lessons are really cool.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/16/16 8:04pm

PeteSilas

branpierce said:

I play. When I was seventeen years old, I borrowed an acoustic guitar from my friend because my folks wouldn't let me buy one because my mother was convinced it was just a phase and I would play it a day or two and put it down. My friend was a Prince fan as well. He loaned me the guitar and Prince: the Hits 1 and 2 sheet music book (which included guitar chords at the top). Soon, I bought an electric and kept on trucking. I told my friends that I wasn't going to stop until I could play the solo from Purple Rain verbatim. I know that's cliche. I eventually did, and went on to perform it with a cover band hundreds of times. I'm a white guy in the South, so that was about all the Prince I could slip in the honky-tonk, but I know dozens of Prince tunes.

I do look up tabs for a basis, but so many of them are way, way off that you will probably have to adjust it. It can still be nice to have a starting place, though.

For all the Prince things I have marvelled over, picked apart, and tried to play, one that eludes me to this day is that crazy intro guitar to When Doves Cry. I can even watch the YouTube videos of someone breaking it down, but I can never get it. It's so spontaneous, and yet so planned out at the same time. Just an example of the kind of genius we are dealing with here.

If I had to make a declaration for my favorite Prince solo (official release), I would go Morning Papers first.

There, that was fun.

the guy from zz top said that he and prince would talk, he once told prince that the intro to wdc was beyond him and prince said it gets him too.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/17/16 5:28am

Musze

avatar

I have clamored for a Guitar Tabs/Chords section for Prince music on this forum before.

I Love U, But I Don't Trust U Anymore...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/17/16 7:55am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Jason's lessons are AWESOME. I really found out that I'm not nearly as good as I thought I was!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/17/16 6:52pm

sunlite

I play by ear. Prince and Van Halen were my teachers.
Release Yourself
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/20/16 4:36pm

daf1999

Musze said:

I have clamored for a Guitar Tabs/Chords section for Prince music on this forum before.

This has been going for years now...

http://prince.forum9.biz/

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/21/16 2:07pm

Musze

avatar

daf1999 said:

Musze said:

I have clamored for a Guitar Tabs/Chords section for Prince music on this forum before.

This has been going for years now...

http://prince.forum9.biz/

Holy shit. I believe I used to be registered and eventually I lost the URL when switching PC's or something. Just re-registered. Thank U.

I Love U, But I Don't Trust U Anymore...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Guitar.....Who here plays?