independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Were Prince and Morris close
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/09/16 9:27pm

paisleyparkgir
l

Were Prince and Morris close

in the last few years before he died ?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/09/16 11:27pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Which Morris? Hayes or Day? Hayes was in his band longer than anyone. Day is always going to be his brother. Not sure what you're getting at.

Just when U think U've got more than enough, that's when it all up and flies away.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/10/16 12:09am

PeteSilas

they were close enough to have problems. You know the saying "familiarity breeds contempt"? From where I (were) at it's impossible to say. but I've heard all kinds of negative things about Prince regarding Morris. The most obvious one was at a Purple Rain party where Prince said something about Morris' mom, well, Pepe Willie didn't tell him at the party because he knew that Morris would jump him. He did tell him the next day. Also, the little jibes going back and forth for years and Prince's refusal to let the time release an album under their names. I would think they were friends somewhat but with lots of competition and bad feelings on Morris' part. Jesse Johnson was supposedly friendly with P too and P would call him up in the night and tell him his album sucked. So, "close" i don't know, more like an ambivalent relationship.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/10/16 12:14am

Krystalkisses

avatar

PeteSilas said:

they were close enough to have problems. You know the saying "familiarity breeds contempt"? From where I (were) at it's impossible to say. but I've heard all kinds of negative things about Prince regarding Morris. The most obvious one was at a Purple Rain party where Prince said something about Morris' mom, well, Pepe Willie didn't tell him at the party because he knew that Morris would jump him. He did tell him the next day. Also, the little jibes going back and forth for years and Prince's refusal to let the time release an album under their names. I would think they were friends somewhat but with lots of competition and bad feelings on Morris' part. Jesse Johnson was supposedly friendly with P too and P would call him up in the night and tell him his album sucked. So, "close" i don't know, more like an ambivalent relationship.

Sounds like a "love/hate" relationship like between a lot of brothers...smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/10/16 7:17am

laurarichardso
n

paisleyparkgirl said:

in the last few years before he died ?


--- Morris was at Paisely Park performing in January so things could not have been so bad. You should check out Micheal Dean's Prince podcast interview with Andre Cymone if you want some insight on why Prince made have made bad comments about Morris's mom. She mismanaged their teenage band horribly.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/10/16 8:55am

funksterr

I don't think they talked all that regularly, but I don't think Morris was ever too far out of Prince's heart, if that makes any sense. Morris is Prince's most successful protege. The deleted Ebony magazine interview had a lot of great quotes from Prince about Morris. Prince said he and Morris were about to make a new Time album, but he wanted to own it with Morris, and not include the whole band. Morris said on Twitter that he and Prince spoke in January 2016, and Prince shared a vision of his hopes and dreams for Morris going forward. IDK, but that sounds close to me.

That Ebony magazine interview btw, was supposed to be surpressed until this summer, but the writer leaked it last Fall (2015), which is just another reason I think Prince was expecting to pass away this year.

[Edited 7/10/16 8:56am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/10/16 10:15am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

He seemed to be doing some bridge mending recently...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/10/16 12:31pm

PeteSilas

Krystalkisses said:

PeteSilas said:

they were close enough to have problems. You know the saying "familiarity breeds contempt"? From where I (were) at it's impossible to say. but I've heard all kinds of negative things about Prince regarding Morris. The most obvious one was at a Purple Rain party where Prince said something about Morris' mom, well, Pepe Willie didn't tell him at the party because he knew that Morris would jump him. He did tell him the next day. Also, the little jibes going back and forth for years and Prince's refusal to let the time release an album under their names. I would think they were friends somewhat but with lots of competition and bad feelings on Morris' part. Jesse Johnson was supposedly friendly with P too and P would call him up in the night and tell him his album sucked. So, "close" i don't know, more like an ambivalent relationship.

Sounds like a "love/hate" relationship like between a lot of brothers...smile

ya, that's how i read it too, a lot of sibling rivalry type thing going on. I dunno, maybe prince really was in a bad way the last few years and maybe that explains why he was doing things that looked irrational to me like not letting the time use the name. We don't know what his mental condition was. Lots of guys with that kind of fame get super paranoid. It's ironic because for all their fears, most of the deaths are self inflicted, elvis/michael/prince/jimi. that's not to say they shouldn't have been paranoid, i heard jimi was kidnapped at some point.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/10/16 5:29pm

Krystalkisses

avatar

PeteSilas said:

Krystalkisses said:

Sounds like a "love/hate" relationship like between a lot of brothers...smile

ya, that's how i read it too, a lot of sibling rivalry type thing going on. I dunno, maybe prince really was in a bad way the last few years and maybe that explains why he was doing things that looked irrational to me like not letting the time use the name. We don't know what his mental condition was. Lots of guys with that kind of fame get super paranoid. It's ironic because for all their fears, most of the deaths are self inflicted, elvis/michael/prince/jimi. that's not to say they shouldn't have been paranoid, i heard jimi was kidnapped at some point.

eek ..about Jimi. ......I read about F-Delux and them trying to use the name the Family. I really thought Prince was being irrational...but maybe he looked as all his protegees as his babies...so I'm sure he had his reasons for being possessive.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/10/16 5:45pm

PeteSilas

Krystalkisses said:

PeteSilas said:

ya, that's how i read it too, a lot of sibling rivalry type thing going on. I dunno, maybe prince really was in a bad way the last few years and maybe that explains why he was doing things that looked irrational to me like not letting the time use the name. We don't know what his mental condition was. Lots of guys with that kind of fame get super paranoid. It's ironic because for all their fears, most of the deaths are self inflicted, elvis/michael/prince/jimi. that's not to say they shouldn't have been paranoid, i heard jimi was kidnapped at some point.

eek ..about Jimi. ......I read about F-Delux and them trying to use the name the Family. I really thought Prince was being irrational...but maybe he looked as all his protegees as his babies...so I'm sure he had his reasons for being possessive.

michael was ranting about people trying to kill him and his family said as much after he died. Prince was said by Chick to be paranoid in the enquirer but most people wrote that off. but, when you hear the stories of how liz taylor kicked his ass out after he sent his bodyguards into the bushes to look for hitmen, makes you wonder.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/10/16 7:43pm

laurarichardso
n

PeteSilas said:



Krystalkisses said:




PeteSilas said:



ya, that's how i read it too, a lot of sibling rivalry type thing going on. I dunno, maybe prince really was in a bad way the last few years and maybe that explains why he was doing things that looked irrational to me like not letting the time use the name. We don't know what his mental condition was. Lots of guys with that kind of fame get super paranoid. It's ironic because for all their fears, most of the deaths are self inflicted, elvis/michael/prince/jimi. that's not to say they shouldn't have been paranoid, i heard jimi was kidnapped at some point.




eek ..about Jimi. .....I read about F-Delux and them trying to use the name the Family. I really thought Prince was being irrational...but maybe he looked as all his protegees as his babies...so I'm sure he had his reasons for being possessive.



michael was ranting about people trying to kill him and his family said as much after he died. Prince was said by Chick to be paranoid in the enquirer but most people wrote that off. but, when you hear the stories of how liz taylor kicked his ass out after he sent his bodyguards into the bushes to look for hitmen, makes you wonder.


--- Because Big Chick said they were getting death threats all the time.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/11/16 9:36pm

paisleyparkgir
l

Thanks for the answers. Yes Morris Day.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/12/16 8:13am

Guitarhero

Brotherly love as others have already said. Up and down relationship . heart

[Edited 7/12/16 8:13am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/12/16 9:16am

avajane

funksterr said:

I don't think they talked all that regularly, but I don't think Morris was ever too far out of Prince's heart, if that makes any sense. Morris is Prince's most successful protege. The deleted Ebony magazine interview had a lot of great quotes from Prince about Morris. Prince said he and Morris were about to make a new Time album, but he wanted to own it with Morris, and not include the whole band. Morris said on Twitter that he and Prince spoke in January 2016, and Prince shared a vision of his hopes and dreams for Morris going forward. IDK, but that sounds close to me.

That Ebony magazine interview btw, was supposed to be surpressed until this summer, but the writer leaked it last Fall (2015), which is just another reason I think Prince was expecting to pass away this year.

[Edited 7/10/16 8:56am]


Where did you read that it was supposed to be released this summer?
Love is God,
God is Love
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Were Prince and Morris close