independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 21st Feb 2020 6:49am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What was The Truth according to Prince?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/23/16 12:23pm

rogifan

What was The Truth according to Prince?

I was released-watching Prince's interview with Tavis Smiley. Towards the end of the interview Prince said he was more spiritual than political and what he was most interested in was the truth and why people aren't adhering to it. So what exactly is the truth according to Prince? Is it a specific bible passage? Or specific tenants of the JW faith? Or something else?
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/23/16 12:26pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Watch the interview .......... again tv


Transcript: http://prince.org/msg/7/81432 reading

http://prince.org/msg/7/425136

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/23/16 3:30pm

rogifan

luv4u said:

Watch the interview ..... again tv


Transcript: http://prince.org/msg/7/81432 reading

http://prince.org/msg/7/425136



Sorry maybe I'm just being really dense but his truth seems to be a bit cryptic.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/23/16 3:33pm

suomynona

avatar

Maybe Larry knows. Or his site manager knows lol.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/23/16 5:12pm

BillieBalloon

Truth is subjective. Prince's truth was according to his faith J.W as in their belief systems. Before I think it was just a belief in God but then it evolved into J.W doctrine. Sorry that's all I can pinpoint.
Baby, you're a star.

Meet me in another world, space and joy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/23/16 5:33pm

morningsong

I think this sums it up in the transcript.

I started reading the Bible intensely, and
I come to find out that this is--this is the truth.


As cryptic as he could be, he was pretty much straight forward there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/23/16 7:01pm

sonshine

avatar

morningsong said:

I think this sums it up in the transcript.

I started reading the Bible intensely, and
I come to find out that this is--this is the truth.


As cryptic as he could be, he was pretty much straight forward there.


I wonder specifically what version or edition of the bible he read? I've tried reading the Bible many times in the past but I always give up soon after. I've never read anything that was more confusing in my life. I don't consider myself stupid but most of it is quite difficult to follow/understand. And there are so many different interpretations of it who is to know which is the most "correct"??
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/23/16 7:06pm

ACharmed1

sonshine said:

morningsong said:

I think this sums it up in the transcript.



As cryptic as he could be, he was pretty much straight forward there.

I wonder specifically what version or edition of the bible he read? I've tried reading the Bible many times in the past but I always give up soon after. I've never read anything that was more confusing in my life. I don't consider myself stupid but most of it is quite difficult to follow/understand. And there are so many different interpretations of it who is to know which is the most "correct"??

The Watchtower.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/23/16 7:08pm

sro100

avatar

rogifan said:

I was released-watching Prince's interview with Tavis Smiley. Towards the end of the interview Prince said he was more spiritual than political and what he was most interested in was the truth and why people aren't adhering to it. So what exactly is the truth according to Prince? Is it a specific bible passage? Or specific tenants of the JW faith? Or something else?

"Somebody lied about the way that somebody died."

Christ was on the staurus and not the cross.

He found a very deep truth in that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/23/16 7:16pm

mimi1956

avatar

sonshine said:

morningsong said:

I think this sums it up in the transcript.



As cryptic as he could be, he was pretty much straight forward there.

I wonder specifically what version or edition of the bible he read? I've tried reading the Bible many times in the past but I always give up soon after. I've never read anything that was more confusing in my life. I don't consider myself stupid but most of it is quite difficult to follow/understand. And there are so many different interpretations of it who is to know which is the most "correct"??

My problem with trying to read it is it is also quite violent

admission is easy, just say U believe, then come 2 this place in your heart.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/23/16 7:50pm

Astasheiks

avatar

ACharmed1 said:



sonshine said:


morningsong said:

I think this sums it up in the transcript.



As cryptic as he could be, he was pretty much straight forward there.



I wonder specifically what version or edition of the bible he read? I've tried reading the Bible many times in the past but I always give up soon after. I've never read anything that was more confusing in my life. I don't consider myself stupid but most of it is quite difficult to follow/understand. And there are so many different interpretations of it who is to know which is the most "correct"??

The Watchtower.



Lets Hope not. sigh disbelief
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/23/16 10:20pm

morningsong

sonshine said:

morningsong said:

I think this sums it up in the transcript.



As cryptic as he could be, he was pretty much straight forward there.


I wonder specifically what version or edition of the bible he read? I've tried reading the Bible many times in the past but I always give up soon after. I've never read anything that was more confusing in my life. I don't consider myself stupid but most of it is quite difficult to follow/understand. And there are so many different interpretations of it who is to know which is the most "correct"??



I'd assume the JW translation. They have it free on their website.


Well most people study the bible so it take many years to absorb. It ain't light reading. Takes effort.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/24/16 12:52am

Bunsterdk

sonshine said:

morningsong said:

I think this sums it up in the transcript.



As cryptic as he could be, he was pretty much straight forward there.


I wonder specifically what version or edition of the bible he read? I've tried reading the Bible many times in the past but I always give up soon after. I've never read anything that was more confusing in my life. I don't consider myself stupid but most of it is quite difficult to follow/understand. And there are so many different interpretations of it who is to know which is the most "correct"??


He would have been reading this version. I really like it even though English is my second language as it is much easier to read. We are getting it in Danish before too long also.

https://www.jw.org/finder...rcid=share

The Bible can be very violent in places, but if you start with Psalms that should be lighter reading. And Jesus' sermon on the mount, Matthew chapters 5-7, are great for basic good sense. Treat others the way you want them to treat you etc. I think it was Ghandi who said something about the world being a better place if everyone lived by the sermon on the mount.

Prince loved Revelations, in particular 21:3-5. But apart from those verses and a few more it is extremely difficult to read and understand. Our boy was into the deeper stuff!

It is available free of charge in book form also, but then you have to contact jw. On the website you can go incognito. LOL And there's an app that allows you to download different Bible versions, JW Library. There is one with interlinear translations from Greek so you can check the translation you're reading, find out more details etc. Neat. cool
[Edited 6/24/16 0:53am]
[Edited 6/24/16 2:52am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/24/16 1:20am

anangellooksdo
wn

He had said before that Larry Graham helped him break down the bible in really simple terms, so he had a guide. That's important. It's also important to have a guide who has what you want and shares your beliefs. Prince obviously had found that.

What did his understanding of the bible evolve into? I can't know specifically. He does describe himself as spiritual, though. And I can hear a lot of spiritual truths in many things he said.

There is very little, if any, room for politics in spirituality. For me there is none. There are reasons for that and I've found that politics are better left to folks who deem that to be their role.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/24/16 5:25am

Nanni

sonshine said:

morningsong said:

I think this sums it up in the transcript.



As cryptic as he could be, he was pretty much straight forward there.

I wonder specifically what version or edition of the bible he read? I've tried reading the Bible many times in the past but I always give up soon after. I've never read anything that was more confusing in my life. I don't consider myself stupid but most of it is quite difficult to follow/understand. And there are so many different interpretations of it who is to know which is the most "correct"??

You are so right sonshine !! The Bible to understand is sooo hard! eek I studied theology and work as a theologian and I still do not understand all passages. confused I think it is very difficult for laymen to understand the Bible because they have not the knowledge of philosophy and ancient languages (Hebrew and ancient Greek) . If you read the Bible in the original language, is there often something completely different as in the translation. Hence the sentence gets a completely different meaning. eek

Prince probably used the Bible the JW which is constructed quite differently, as the Bible of protestants and Catholics.

Hmmm .. I would say that the truth is: God is love, to act on the freedom. hmmm

God loves men and gave him the freedom to live our lives the way we want it.

God knew from eternity what we would like to do, so he has the world so arranged that we can do it. In the case of Prince, make music.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/24/16 9:18am

Astasheiks

avatar

anangellooksdown said:

He had said before that Larry Graham helped him break down the bible in really simple terms, so he had a guide. That's important. It's also important to have a guide who has what you want and shares your beliefs. Prince obviously had found that. What did his understanding of the bible evolve into? I can't know specifically. He does describe himself as spiritual, though. And I can hear a lot of spiritual truths in many things he said. There is very little, if any, room for politics in spirituality. For me there is none. There are reasons for that and I've found that politics are better left to folks who deem that to be their role.

One needs the Right guide. Not somebody tied up in a False Religion! mad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/24/16 2:19pm

journalism16

As someone who reads the Bible often, for understanding and prayer, I will say that the Book of Revelation has so much symbolism that it can be quite hard to understand, but if you read it slowly and carefully,it can become easier to understand. I find the stories in the Bible to be very eye-opening, and as someone who attends church as well, if I need help to understand passages in the Bible, I go to people in my church who can help me to understand the passages better.
Erin Smith
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/25/16 2:41am

ACharmed1

Astasheiks said:

anangellooksdown said:

He had said before that Larry Graham helped him break down the bible in really simple terms, so he had a guide. That's important. It's also important to have a guide who has what you want and shares your beliefs. Prince obviously had found that. What did his understanding of the bible evolve into? I can't know specifically. He does describe himself as spiritual, though. And I can hear a lot of spiritual truths in many things he said. There is very little, if any, room for politics in spirituality. For me there is none. There are reasons for that and I've found that politics are better left to folks who deem that to be their role.

One needs the Right guide. Not somebody tied up in a False Religion! mad

Hey thanks for posting that, interesting watch. Something that always struck me funny with P and the JW was he was sooo adamant about not being a slave, no slavery, under no circumstance, yet "discreet slavery" is a term used often in JW teachings. I mean that dootie is drilled in their heads. Now I would dare to say I'm a slave to God, but I also believe God doesn't want us to be enslaved period. Slavery means being forced to do or believe in something against Ur will. Ur heart & soul want to rebel against it, so "discreet slavery"? rolleyes I also find the whole 144,000 just uh....yeah. disbelief To me there isn't 1 person that walks this earth that can tell me or anyone, who will go to heaven and who will not. That is up to God and ONLY God. Ain't my place (or anybody's) to judge or tell another brother or sister they're going to heaven or hell. Apologies if what I said offended anyone, not my intention at all, just my POV. This is actually 1 of my favorite things about being a Prince fam, we can all get down with deep conversations that make 1 another think and hopfully grow as human beings. Honestly how cool is that? I truly can't name another artist that brings ppl together like P could.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/25/16 10:04am

Bunsterdk

ACharmed1 said:



Astasheiks said:




anangellooksdown said:


He had said before that Larry Graham helped him break down the bible in really simple terms, so he had a guide. That's important. It's also important to have a guide who has what you want and shares your beliefs. Prince obviously had found that. What did his understanding of the bible evolve into? I can't know specifically. He does describe himself as spiritual, though. And I can hear a lot of spiritual truths in many things he said. There is very little, if any, room for politics in spirituality. For me there is none. There are reasons for that and I've found that politics are better left to folks who deem that to be their role.


One needs the Right guide. Not somebody tied up in a False Religion! mad





Hey thanks for posting that, interesting watch. Something that always struck me funny with P and the JW was he was sooo adamant about not being a slave, no slavery, under no circumstance, yet "discreet slavery" is a term used often in JW teachings. I mean that dootie is drilled in their heads. Now I would dare to say I'm a slave to God, but I also believe God doesn't want us to be enslaved period. Slavery means being forced to do or believe in something against Ur will. Ur heart & soul want to rebel against it, so "discreet slavery"? rolleyes I also find the whole 144,000 just uh....yeah. disbelief To me there isn't 1 person that walks this earth that can tell me or anyone, who will go to heaven and who will not. That is up to God and ONLY God. Ain't my place (or anybody's) to judge or tell another brother or sister they're going to heaven or hell. Apologies if what I said offended anyone, not my intention at all, just my POV. This is actually 1 of my favorite things about being a Prince fam, we can all get down with deep conversations that make 1 another think and hopfully grow as human beings. Honestly how cool is that? I truly can't name another artist that brings ppl together like P could.



Uhm.. the discreet slave is a biblical term. Faithful and discreet, more accurately. I won't go into the explanation here, but Prince was not one. Neither am I. And no-one is telling anyone who can and cannot go to heaven. That's a very personal matter between God and you.

I don't mind people disagreeing with jw, but it is not really much good basing your judgement or arguments on misinformation. Go to jw.org for the correct information on what jw believe. Be informed, not misinformed. Draw your own conclusions. Argue against their actual beliefs, not someone else's make belief. smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/25/16 5:33pm

ksgemini63

Null
[Edited 7/25/16 18:21pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/25/16 11:55pm

steakfinger

Astasheiks said:



anangellooksdown said:


He had said before that Larry Graham helped him break down the bible in really simple terms, so he had a guide. That's important. It's also important to have a guide who has what you want and shares your beliefs. Prince obviously had found that. What did his understanding of the bible evolve into? I can't know specifically. He does describe himself as spiritual, though. And I can hear a lot of spiritual truths in many things he said. There is very little, if any, room for politics in spirituality. For me there is none. There are reasons for that and I've found that politics are better left to folks who deem that to be their role.


One needs the Right guide. Not somebody tied up in a False Religion! mad





All religions are false, genius.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/26/16 12:20am

sunset3121

journalism16 said:

As someone who reads the Bible often, for understanding and prayer, I will say that the Book of Revelation has so much symbolism that it can be quite hard to understand, but if you read it slowly and carefully,it can become easier to understand. I find the stories in the Bible to be very eye-opening, and as someone who attends church as well, if I need help to understand passages in the Bible, I go to people in my church who can help me to understand the passages better.

I have never understood this thing about reading the bible. When I started to question my faith in my early teens I took up the message to read the bible. I started at the beginning. WOW! That was a shock! It wasn't the religion I had been taught about all my life. Interesting read though - well until I got to the new testament which was much more sane but very boring and a hard slog to get through. As a whole, it was not in the slightest bit convincing - and I certainly wouldn't have appreciated hearing someone else's take on the symbolism. How would they know?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/26/16 6:04am

Billmeneverok

rogifan said:

I was released-watching Prince's interview with Tavis Smiley. Towards the end of the interview Prince said he was more spiritual than political and what he was most interested in was the truth and why people aren't adhering to it. So what exactly is the truth according to Prince? Is it a specific bible passage? Or specific tenants of the JW faith? Or something else?


World conditions are more worse than any time period in history...and getting worse. 2Timothy 3:13. Political&religious leaders are being misguided as they look from within for needed solutions. Prince learned of a soon to be realized "New World" through the accurate study from a well preserved letter from Jehovah, the bible. That's the Truth.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/26/16 8:06am

ksgemini63

Billmeneverok said:

rogifan said:
I was released-watching Prince's interview with Tavis Smiley. Towards the end of the interview Prince said he was more spiritual than political and what he was most interested in was the truth and why people aren't adhering to it. So what exactly is the truth according to Prince? Is it a specific bible passage? Or specific tenants of the JW faith? Or something else?
World conditions are more worse than any time period in history...and getting worse. 2Timothy 3:13. Political&religious leaders are being misguided as they look from within for needed solutions. Prince learned of a soon to be realized "New World" through the accurate study from a well preserved letter from Jehovah, the bible. That's the Truth.

Your opinion and MAYBE his at that given time but no one KNOWS the Truth until they are on that other side...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/26/16 11:31pm

Astasheiks

avatar

steakfinger said:

Astasheiks said:

One needs the Right guide. Not somebody tied up in a False Religion! mad

All religions are false, genius.

No there not, anti- smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/27/16 12:18am

rogifan

It seems as though Prince was a very devout JW. But he became very close with his drummer Hannah Ford Welton and her husband Josh. They are devout Christians. Josh said when he first met Prince they spent 2 hours in his kitchen talking about Jesus and the bible. Prince also said that was one of the reasons they got on so well. Makes me wonder if their faith rubbed off on Prince at all. Was he a JW because he really believed in all their teachings or was it more a case of him needing/wanting some kind of religion in his life and he chose JW because of his close friendship with Larry Graham?
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/27/16 12:18am

ACharmed1

Bunsterdk said:

Uhm.. the discreet slave is a biblical term. Faithful and discreet, more accurately. I won't go into the explanation here, but Prince was not one. Neither am I. And no-one is telling anyone who can and cannot go to heaven. That's a very personal matter between God and you. I don't mind people disagreeing with jw, but it is not really much good basing your judgement or arguments on misinformation. Go to jw.org for the correct information on what jw believe. Be informed, not misinformed. Draw your own conclusions. Argue against their actual beliefs, not someone else's make belief. smile

As far as I'm aware it's a JW term, so I disagree. So the JW's don't tell their followers that ONLY 144,000 will go to heaven? Interesting, enlighten me then. "I don't mind ppl disagreeing with JW...BUT" As soon as U say that "but" Ur point will be moot becuz U do mind ppl disagreeing with U. And to direct ppl to a website for spiritiual or faith guidance, well when U gotta do that something's fishy IMHO.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/27/16 12:35am

ACharmed1

rogifan said:

It seems as though Prince was a very devout JW. But he became very close with his drummer Hannah Ford Welton and her husband Josh. They are devout Christians. Josh said when he first met Prince they spent 2 hours in his kitchen talking about Jesus and the bible. Prince also said that was one of the reasons they got on so well. Makes me wonder if their faith rubbed off on Prince at all. Was he a JW because he really believed in all their teachings or was it more a case of him needing/wanting some kind of religion in his life and he chose JW because of his close friendship with Larry Graham?

eek Really? Did Josh say that in an interview? I know he and Hannah are all about Jesus. My hope is that, they were rubbing off on him. Larry Graham disbelief I seriously feel that guy picked at cracks in P's psyche and used him. I know I'll get ppl blasting me but seriously what kind of man picks his whole family up and let's another man buy his home? 1 of MANY things that's just wrong/weird about Larry. Ultimately P is his own man, but if U have a wolf in sheeps clothing constantly in Ur ear it's gonna effect Ur judgement. Also P's Mom was a 7th day adventist, while P admittedly said he got nothing out of that experience except the choir, 7th day adventist are an end of days type religion, it's possible he felt something familiar with JW becuz of that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/27/16 1:33am

Bunsterdk

ACharmed1 said:



Bunsterdk said:


Uhm.. the discreet slave is a biblical term. Faithful and discreet, more accurately. I won't go into the explanation here, but Prince was not one. Neither am I. And no-one is telling anyone who can and cannot go to heaven. That's a very personal matter between God and you. I don't mind people disagreeing with jw, but it is not really much good basing your judgement or arguments on misinformation. Go to jw.org for the correct information on what jw believe. Be informed, not misinformed. Draw your own conclusions. Argue against their actual beliefs, not someone else's make belief. smile

As far as I'm aware it's a JW term, so I disagree. So the JW's don't tell their followers that ONLY 144,000 will go to heaven? Interesting, enlighten me then. "I don't mind ppl disagreeing with JW...BUT" As soon as U say that "but" Ur point will be moot becuz U do mind ppl disagreeing with U. And to direct ppl to a website for spiritiual or faith guidance, well when U gotta do that something's fishy IMHO.



From King James, Matthew chapter 24:45-47:

45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.


It says servant, not slave, but that's just semantics as I'm sure the Greek will throw more light on why they chose the word "slave" in NWT. JW didn't invent this, Jesus did. JW explained it, and you can disagree with that explanation, BUT stay with the facts - Jesus spoke about this slave/servant it's not a JW invention.

I said that no-one is telling anyone who goes to heaven and who doesn't. Not that there isn't a limit on the number of people going there. You are twisting my words. It is biblical, again not a JW invention. But no-one is saying if a certain individual is one of the 144,000 or not. That is between him/her and God.

King James again, Revelation 14:1-4:

And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Zion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.
2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:
3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.


And the rest? Paradise right here on earth as originally intended.

King James, Psalm 37:9-11:

For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.


It is easier to understand the NWT translation that can be found at jw.org, but I wanted to show this in a non-JW translation. King James is the most widely used IIRC.

Prince showed that his hope for the future was everlasting life (everlasting now) right here on earth. He was expecting to be resurrected here on earth in the flesh as himself (Check the lyrics of 4ever). I won't go into the details of how I know this was his hope, but this was something he showed the congregation based on his relationship with God. We all reveal our hope once a year at the annual Memorial for Jesus Christ (yes, we believe in him too, contrary to false rumours).

And I fail to see how directing people to jw.org for the actual facts about what JW believe can be fishy. Would you suggest people go to National Enquirer for reliable info on Prince? Hopefully not. Same with any subject. Go to the source, find out the facts and make your own decisions. Basing anything on bogus info is just plain silly when the facts are right there.

Prince was a grown man of pretty high intelligence making his own decisions in life and didn't need the approval of any of us. cool We may not personally like everything he did and agree with every decision, but pretending that he was some feeble-minded individual incapable of making his own decisions in life is extremely disrespectful to him as a person.

Sorry this got a bit long, but it was obviously necessary to explain the above further. Other than that I do still refer to jw.org as I believe in having the facts before you criticise something. I'm kinda old school like that. 8-)

(And actual debates on religion probably don't belong here, so I hope we can agree to take any detailed discussions to the proper forum and keep this thread clear?)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/27/16 3:11am

ACharmed1

Bunsterdk said:

It is easier to understand the NWT translation that can be found at jw.org, but I wanted to show this in a non-JW translation. King James is the most widely used IIRC. Prince showed that his hope for the future was everlasting life (everlasting now) right here on earth. He was expecting to be resurrected here on earth in the flesh as himself (Check the lyrics of 4ever). I won't go into the details of how I know this was his hope, but this was something he showed the congregation based on his relationship with God. We all reveal our hope once a year at the annual Memorial for Jesus Christ (yes, we believe in him too, contrary to false rumours). And I fail to see how directing people to jw.org for the actual facts about what JW believe can be fishy. Would you suggest people go to National Enquirer for reliable info on Prince? Hopefully not. Same with any subject. Go to the source, find out the facts and make your own decisions. Basing anything on bogus info is just plain silly when the facts are right there. Prince was a grown man of pretty high intelligence making his own decisions in life and didn't need the approval of any of us. cool We may not personally like everything he did and agree with every decision, but pretending that he was some feeble-minded individual incapable of making his own decisions in life is extremely disrespectful to him as a person. Sorry this got a bit long, but it was obviously necessary to explain the above further. Other than that I do still refer to jw.org as I believe in having the facts before you criticise something. I'm kinda old school like that. cool (And actual debates on religion probably don't belong here, so I hope we can agree to take any detailed discussions to the proper forum and keep this thread clear?)

Pointing out that "It's easier" to understand the JW translation don't fly with me. I put my faith in the actual Bible as it was written, I do not put my faith in a book some dude cherry picked verses of the Bible and decided to make up a new religion based on HIS ideals. And while I appreciate U taking the time to type; or in this case more than likely copy and paste ready fire answers, all I said was "enlighten me" on the fact U said no 1 is telling any 1 who can and can not go to heaven when it's clear JW preach ONLY 144,000 will go to heaven. It's also clear the 144,000 the JW speak of are the 'elder's' of their belief. The fact that U go on a whole tangent about everything else, well that's classic JW spin. Comparing the National Enquirer to knowledge of spiritual beliefs? whofarted Now, obviously U wanna play the "I can't say how I know what I know, but believe me I know" game. I'm not impressed and I don't play that game. If U personally knew P, keep it private -don't try to use that as some sort of currency, for whatever reason. The reason I said it's fishy in having to direct ppl to a website on faith related subject matter is JW are pretty much reliant on doing this becuz their faith is not easily understood. In fact I can't think of another faith the world over where they can't quite explain it. Be it, Christianity, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhism, or anything else; while some may have a rite or what have U that isn't immediately understood, generally speaking 1 can walk away from someone of any of those beliefs with a clear understanding of their faith. On the matter that P wasn't some feeble-minded so & so? Excuse me, but where did I say or imply such a thing? NEVER put words in another's mouth, U are rude and disrespectful in doing that to me. As far as this being a debate and keeping this thread clear, I simply made a statement in an open forum related to the topic at hand and U turned it into a Watchtower sermon. Don't play the martyr in this, and don't presume to tell ppl to keep the thread clear for what U deem as worthy. The OP is trying to understand what P saw as the truth in various religous aspects and in his life in general. I mean no offense in Ur beliefs nor did I insult or disrespect U by putting words in Ur mouth, I'd expect U to do the same to others here.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What was The Truth according to Prince?