independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 9th Dec 2019 7:23am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > '95 AMA'S: gum-chewin' attitude & yellin' something at the end...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/04/16 1:26am

firebird319

'95 AMA'S: gum-chewin' attitude & yellin' something at the end...

i apologize if this has been covered before (the thread i found didn't mention specifically what i am curious about). some of us remember (if u need a reminder it's available to watch now): purple medley w/ amazing dancers, Mayte descends on wires, prince is spirited in under a "shroud," & then we have a glorious Gold Experience sampler - lip-synced (under duress, apparently) by our own gum-smackin', not-a-single-givin' love.

the question i have is this: he hollers something at the very end (after a brief bit of "Loose!" + a BOOM sound,) and what i always heard (& still hear now) is, gloriously, "Take that, _____ motherf#%*ers!!!" there's some noise over the specific part in question.

keep in mind this is following a fantastically varied stage show, where we have seen a dancer exit after having had her top removed (leading to maybe the most comically-dull audience-shot live tv coverup ever) and Tommy inexplicably floating aloft on wires during Billy Jack B!tch. later at broadcast's end was the Q/lollipop incident.

anyone know what he yelled at the end of the performance (which indicates that he had a live mic at the end despite the lip syncing)? did anyone else notice this? i only watched it about 27453417 times on vhs at the time. wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/04/16 1:41am

Astasheiks

avatar

Your _____, I believe is "you sorry ass". The rest you have correct starting with "Take that, .....

I heard it was a dig at the Record Executives he as feuding with at the time. Some more people can give their opinions but that's what I always heard why he said that at the time.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/04/16 1:48am

firebird319

Astasheiks said:

Your _____, I believe is "you sorry ass". The rest you have correct starting with "Take that, .....

I heard it was a dig at the Record Executives he as feuding with at the time. Some more people can give their opinions but that's what I always heard why he said that at the time.


thanks, makes sense. being able to watch it again brought me right back to where i was the last time i watched it (many years ago). all anticipation and "hell yes!" sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/04/16 8:37am

theblueangel

avatar

It's "Take that, you sorry motherfuckers!" ... it's from the end of "Get Loose!"
[Edited 6/4/16 8:38am]
No confusion, no tears. No enemies, no fear. No sorrow, no pain. No ball, no chain.

Sex is not love. Love is not sex. Putting words in other people's mouths will only get you elected.

Need more sleep than coke or methamphetamine.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/04/16 8:44am

319

firebird319 said:

i apologize if this has been covered before (the thread i found didn't mention specifically what i am curious about). some of us remember (if u need a reminder it's available to watch now): purple medley w/ amazing dancers, Mayte descends on wires, prince is spirited in under a "shroud," & then we have a glorious Gold Experience sampler - lip-synced (under duress, apparently) by our own gum-smackin', not-a-single-givin' love. the question i have is this: he hollers something at the very end (after a brief bit of "Loose!" + a BOOM sound,) and what i always heard (& still hear now) is, gloriously, "Take that, ______ motherf#%*ers!!!" there's some noise over the specific part in question. keep in mind this is following a fantastically varied stage show, where we have seen a dancer exit after having had her top removed (leading to maybe the most comically-dull audience-shot live tv coverup ever) and Tommy inexplicably floating aloft on wires during Billy Jack B!tch. later at broadcast's end was the Q/lollipop incident. anyone know what he yelled at the end of the performance (which indicates that he had a live mic at the end despite the lip syncing)? did anyone else notice this? i only watched it about 27453417 times on vhs at the time. wink

Thank you! I never knew why there was that awkward audience shot in the middle of the performance. Mystery solved.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/04/16 10:01am

theblueangel

avatar

Isn't that dancer who takes off her top Carmen Electra? If I recall correctly, that's what was reported at the time, and it sure looks like her.
No confusion, no tears. No enemies, no fear. No sorrow, no pain. No ball, no chain.

Sex is not love. Love is not sex. Putting words in other people's mouths will only get you elected.

Need more sleep than coke or methamphetamine.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/04/16 10:17am

lezama

avatar

Probably my favorite Prince appearances/performances where there's no live music being performed.

Change it one more time..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/05/16 2:03am

smokeverbs

avatar

That was DOPE! Haven't seen it since it originally aired back then. I notice the Joker samples that weren't cleared for the released version of the Purple Medley. It was crazy hearing all this new music that wouldn't hit the shelves until later that year. '94-95 was such an exciting time to be a Prince fan.

Keep your headphones on.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/05/16 6:32am

floralelephant
s

avatar

Even though there are some really cringe worthy moments, I LOVE that performance. A couple of those guys were really hot. And the way Prince emerged was very cool. His first dance moves during Billy Jack Bitch were so cool and smooth.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/05/16 6:35am

thedance

avatar

AMA 1995.. woot!


This was my first time to hear songs from The Gold Experience..

What a pleasure, Eye Hate U, 319 and.. was there another 3rd one, can't exactly remember,

But I love /loved this performance.. a lot.. heart

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/05/16 10:05am

firebird319

hey, more replies! i went flippin' BONKERS over this at the time! that first listen to those song snippets! love specifically, my first hearing THOSE BILLY JACK BITCH HORNZ. you know. and that attitude. i just loved it.

maybe it WAS Carmen w/ the dancers, she did look like her. obv post-Tony-incident but maybe they were ok after the smoke cleared, so to speak.

the dancing & choreo for this performance was PHENOMENAL. there was another thread recently discussing that blond guy & how he went on to direct entire tour shows for Madonna & others. i'd forgotten how tight that first part w/ the canes was. i think this guy did the vh1 honors (?) performance too - there were a couple round platforms over on the side of the stage & the dancers writhed around while P & Mayte were on the main level. he did Interactive & Endorphinmachine. now i gotta go watch that one!

back to '95 AMA's:

i like that cute moment when Mayte swats P away from her crotch lol

there's a lot to love about this performance even though it wasn't live.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/05/16 11:37am

Astasheiks

avatar

319 said:



firebird319 said:


i apologize if this has been covered before (the thread i found didn't mention specifically what i am curious about). some of us remember (if u need a reminder it's available to watch now): purple medley w/ amazing dancers, Mayte descends on wires, prince is spirited in under a "shroud," & then we have a glorious Gold Experience sampler - lip-synced (under duress, apparently) by our own gum-smackin', not-a-single-givin' love. the question i have is this: he hollers something at the very end (after a brief bit of "Loose!" + a BOOM sound,) and what i always heard (& still hear now) is, gloriously, "Take that, _____ motherf#%*ers!!!" there's some noise over the specific part in question. keep in mind this is following a fantastically varied stage show, where we have seen a dancer exit after having had her top removed (leading to maybe the most comically-dull audience-shot live tv coverup ever) and Tommy inexplicably floating aloft on wires during Billy Jack B!tch. later at broadcast's end was the Q/lollipop incident. anyone know what he yelled at the end of the performance (which indicates that he had a live mic at the end despite the lip syncing)? did anyone else notice this? i only watched it about 27453417 times on vhs at the time. wink


Thank you! I never knew why there was that awkward audience shot in the middle of the performance. Mystery solved.



Yeah, That is one my favorite performances of his. His look on his face was Priceless, Like he just knows he's a Badd Dude! lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/05/16 11:50am

DarlingKris

That's one of my favorite performances. Only Prince can go from laying down to a split then get up. I lost my shit when I saw that and repeated that part 10 times

Forever In My Life, forever in my heart. I love you Prince Rogers Nelson heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/05/16 11:52am

meagemini2

Let me preface this by saying I could watch Prince do anything - read the phonebook, do dishes, get the mail, but personally this is my least favorite performance because its so...so....Solid Goldish. With all the dancers and the lip sync - it seems to go against everything Prince prided himself on - live performance. Why do you think he chose to lip sync? - sore throat, couldn't get all his equipment there, last minute engagement. He seemed a little peeved as well -see attitude. I was wondering if there were any interviews out there that spoke to this.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/05/16 2:03pm

firebird319

meagemini2 said:

Let me preface this by saying I could watch Prince do anything - read the phonebook, do dishes, get the mail, but personally this is my least favorite performance because its so...so....Solid Goldish. With all the dancers and the lip sync - it seems to go against everything Prince prided himself on - live performance. Why do you think he chose to lip sync? - sore throat, couldn't get all his equipment there, last minute engagement. He seemed a little peeved as well -see attitude. I was wondering if there were any interviews out there that spoke to this.



my theory: WB insisted on his promoting the upcoming Gold Experience in this manner, and his response was like, "OH. YOU WANT ME ON TV?!? Here ya go, F%ers."

edit: i think the AMAs people (or, more likely, the network) wanted the lip-syncing so they could do their censoring & not have any surprises (assuming the part at the end was in the recording & the boom sound was just a little off). it seems pretty clear topless Carmen was a special surprise for the censors, b/c for all the other (subsequent?) racy parts they seemed to just go to the wide-shot. time-delay to the rescue for Carmen's boobs.
[Edited 6/6/16 23:00pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/06/16 2:59pm

Astasheiks

avatar

DarlingKris said:

That's one of my favorite performances. Only Prince can go from laying down to a split then get up. I lost my shit when I saw that and repeated that part 10 times

For Real, me too! cool biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/06/16 3:03pm

SPYZFAN1

"Solid Goldish"...True, but I hadn't seen him move that in quite a few years. Even some of my friends who wrote P off back in 88 (and said he was a "has been") raved about that performance. The speech was cool too.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/06/16 4:04pm

WordOnTheStree
t

Well shit....looks like Prince pretty much did his own tribute with this one. Made me think that since no one should really touch a Prince song, maybe that's how a tribute should look.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/06/16 4:10pm

craft6

I still don't understand why he bothered to get up for the performance at all (w/ Q) if he didn't want to sing.

I mean: he didn't sing with them the first time around but he fulfilled his promise to participate by giving them a song...so why stand there sucking on a lollipop? Was it just to say "I do what I want?"


I just didn't see the point.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/06/16 10:28pm

firebird319

Astasheiks said:



DarlingKris said:


That's one of my favorite performances. Only Prince can go from laying down to a split then get up. I lost my shit when I saw that and repeated that part 10 times




For Real, me too! cool biggrin




cool no momentum/countermotion, just, "pfft, gravity." rolleyes *slides up*
[Edited 6/6/16 22:29pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/07/16 12:36am

jkrumes

avatar

WordOnTheStreet said:

Well shit....looks like Prince pretty much did his own tribute with this one. Made me think that since no one should really touch a Prince song, maybe that's how a tribute should look.

This is exactly what I've always thought. Just play his music, put huge images of him in the background and have some badass choreographed dance. I don't want to hear anyone butcher his songs!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > '95 AMA'S: gum-chewin' attitude & yellin' something at the end...