independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What is the best album by Prince that was not released through normal distribution channels?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/05/14 8:33pm

nigel1013

What is the best album by Prince that was not released through normal distribution channels?

I finally obtained N.E.W.S. , Chocolate Invasion, C-Notes, 20 Ten, The Slaughterhouse, The Undertaker and Xpectation and I am having an eargasm! So what is your favorite?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/05/14 8:47pm

meisme

The Undertaker followed by 2010
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/05/14 8:52pm

nigel1013

I am loving The Slaughterhouse. The only Prince album I struggle to listen to is The Rainbow Children..............................

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/05/14 10:05pm

Adorecream

20Ten for Future Soul song alone.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/05/14 10:27pm

dustoff

avatar

Exodus.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/05/14 11:17pm

langebleu

avatar

moderator

nigel1013 said:

'What is the best album by Prince that was not released through normal distribution channels?'

I finally obtained N.E.W.S. , Chocolate Invasion, C-Notes, 20 Ten, The Slaughterhouse, The Undertaker and Xpectation.


'N.E.W.S.' was released through 'normal distribution channels'.

ALT+PLS+RTN: Pure as a pane of ice. It's a gift.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/05/14 11:31pm

thedance

avatar

Ok but The Undertaker was a VHS video tape..

This was never released on cd officially, afaik.

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/06/14 12:13am

databank

avatar

thedance said:

Ok but The Undertaker was a VHS video tape..

This was never released on cd officially, afaik.

Which is why I think the OP said it wasn't released thru a "normal" distribution channel ^^

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/06/14 12:13am

databank

avatar

langebleu said:

nigel1013 said:

'What is the best album by Prince that was not released through normal distribution channels?'

I finally obtained N.E.W.S. , Chocolate Invasion, C-Notes, 20 Ten, The Slaughterhouse, The Undertaker and Xpectation.


'N.E.W.S.' was released through 'normal distribution channels'.

nod

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/06/14 12:14am

databank

avatar

dustoff said:

Exodus.

Exodus was released thru "normal distribution channels".

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/06/14 12:36am

funkaholic1972

avatar

For me TRC and 20Ten!

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/06/14 12:42am

meisme

Adorecream said:

20Ten for Future Soul song alone.


That is a beautiful song. I about fainted when he did Act Of God at essence. That was so unexpected.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/06/14 1:02am

udo

avatar

GoldNigga

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/06/14 2:14am

Ymaginatif

avatar

One Nite Alone!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/06/14 3:46am

RaspBerryGirlF
riend

avatar

Ymaginatif said:

One Nite Alone!

This is the correct answer.

Heavenly wine and roses seems to whisper to me when you smile...
Always cry for love, never cry for pain...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/06/14 4:47am

KingSausage

avatar

The best one is Rave In2 the Joy Fantastic, hands down.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/06/14 1:46pm

chriss

avatar

Musicology (when you walked thru

the turnstile at the concert)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/06/14 1:47pm

chriss

avatar

KingSausage said:

The best one is Rave In2 the Joy Fantastic, hands down.

that was through his website only, right?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/06/14 1:50pm

databank

avatar

chriss said:

KingSausage said:

The best one is Rave In2 the Joy Fantastic, hands down.

that was through his website only, right?

CD only but yeah nod

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/06/14 2:18pm

thedoorkeeper

I'd go with One Night Alone.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 11/06/14 8:19pm

EddieC

databank said:

dustoff said:

Exodus.

Exodus was released thru "normal distribution channels".

IN EUROPE!!

Which I guess does count, but it felt unreleased here... and I payed boot price for the thing.

.

Of course, I payed boot price for G.N. too--but that actually was a pirated copy.

.

Actually, I like Xpectation quite a bit. So that's my pick.

.

The NPGMC comps (Chocolate Invasion and Slaughterhouse) I can't even remember as albums. I got to know all those tracks as they came out piecemeal, and I haven't listened to them as collections more than a handful of times. I did like most of the individual songs, I just don't remember the albums as albums.

.

Actually, I changed my mind.

.

ONE NITE ALONE!!

.

which I didn't receive until it came with the ONA LIVE box... I don't know why I never received it before then.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/06/14 8:36pm

BEAUGARDE

Chocolate Invasion!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/06/14 9:10pm

JoshuaWho

databank said:

dustoff said:

Exodus.

Exodus was released thru "normal distribution channels".

Perhaps there should be a common definition of normal distribution channels. THere are import releases that you would have been hard pressed to find at Best Buy or Sam Goody (when record stores existed).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/07/14 2:42am

databank

avatar

I'm a bit embarrassed by the Americano-centrism over here: OK Prince is an American artist so it'd make sense that "normal" distribution channels include his native territory but AFAIC it means "in record stores" period. Exodus and Child Of The Sun were only released in Europe OK but fact is that in order to buy them I only has to go to my local wrecka stow in France and purchase them, simple as that. I could name loads of albums that were released only in the US or Japan for example and still they've been released. I know some Japanese or Indian artists whose albums were, for some reasons, released only in France, and some P-Funk albums have only been released in Japan. Still, they've been released through "normal distribution channels". It's not the first time that I read here that any record that isn't released in the US isn't released at all. Well, I'm sorry but there are LOADS of records released in various parts of the world that never reach the US save maybe as imports, still they are being released "normally". Similarly there have been countless CD's that I bought as expensive imports in Paris or Lyon, it never occured to me that they were not "normal" releases, an import is still a CD that one can buy in a wrecka stow, which wasn't the case with ONA or digital releases. On another note I think from now on digital-only releases are legions and define a "normal" distribution channel by 2014's standards, but I will agree that it wasn't yet the case in 2002 or 2004. Peace smile

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 11/07/14 4:22am

nigel1013

databank said:

I'm a bit embarrassed by the Americano-centrism over here: OK Prince is an American artist so it'd make sense that "normal" distribution channels include his native territory but AFAIC it means "in record stores" period. Exodus and Child Of The Sun were only released in Europe OK but fact is that in order to buy them I only has to go to my local wrecka stow in France and purchase them, simple as that. I could name loads of albums that were released only in the US or Japan for example and still they've been released. I know some Japanese or Indian artists whose albums were, for some reasons, released only in France, and some P-Funk albums have only been released in Japan. Still, they've been released through "normal distribution channels". It's not the first time that I read here that any record that isn't released in the US isn't released at all. Well, I'm sorry but there are LOADS of records released in various parts of the world that never reach the US save maybe as imports, still they are being released "normally". Similarly there have been countless CD's that I bought as expensive imports in Paris or Lyon, it never occured to me that they were not "normal" releases, an import is still a CD that one can buy in a wrecka stow, which wasn't the case with ONA or digital releases. On another note I think from now on digital-only releases are legions and define a "normal" distribution channel by 2014's standards, but I will agree that it wasn't yet the case in 2002 or 2004. Peace smile

If I have to go to London to purchase a Prince album and I am not a resident of the UK then yes it is outside "normal" distribution channels. Not "Americano-centric" for a fan of an American musician to expect his music to be accessible in the US.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 11/07/14 4:54am

databank

avatar

nigel1013 said:

databank said:

I'm a bit embarrassed by the Americano-centrism over here: OK Prince is an American artist so it'd make sense that "normal" distribution channels include his native territory but AFAIC it means "in record stores" period. Exodus and Child Of The Sun were only released in Europe OK but fact is that in order to buy them I only has to go to my local wrecka stow in France and purchase them, simple as that. I could name loads of albums that were released only in the US or Japan for example and still they've been released. I know some Japanese or Indian artists whose albums were, for some reasons, released only in France, and some P-Funk albums have only been released in Japan. Still, they've been released through "normal distribution channels". It's not the first time that I read here that any record that isn't released in the US isn't released at all. Well, I'm sorry but there are LOADS of records released in various parts of the world that never reach the US save maybe as imports, still they are being released "normally". Similarly there have been countless CD's that I bought as expensive imports in Paris or Lyon, it never occured to me that they were not "normal" releases, an import is still a CD that one can buy in a wrecka stow, which wasn't the case with ONA or digital releases. On another note I think from now on digital-only releases are legions and define a "normal" distribution channel by 2014's standards, but I will agree that it wasn't yet the case in 2002 or 2004. Peace smile

If I have to go to London to purchase a Prince album and I am not a resident of the UK then yes it is outside "normal" distribution channels. Not "Americano-centric" for a fan of an American musician to expect his music to be accessible in the US.

Yeah but what if u live in a remote area and the local wrecka stows only have top-10 stuff and u need to drive for 8 hours to a major city to buy your LP, then? Timespace&darknessdon'txist, have u forgotten? lol

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 11/07/14 5:15am

KingSausage

avatar

I consider "outside of normal distribution" to be something you can't buy in a wrecka stow or on Amazon or other readily available, legitimate, non-auction sites. So Exodus does not count, but 20ten does.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 11/07/14 6:08am

BoraBora

Can we count in "One Nite Alone"?!?!?!?

If yes it's my choice.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 11/07/14 9:00am

KingSausage

avatar

BoraBora said:

Can we count in "One Nite Alone"?!?!?!?



If yes it's my choice.




Yes. The piano album ONA wasn't something that the average Prince fan could but just by walking into Best Buy or shopping on Amazon. Good call.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 11/07/14 9:13am

dustoff

avatar

databank said:

I'm a bit embarrassed by the Americano-centrism over here: OK Prince is an American artist so it'd make sense that "normal" distribution channels include his native territory but AFAIC it means "in record stores" period. Exodus and Child Of The Sun were only released in Europe OK but fact is that in order to buy them I only has to go to my local wrecka stow in France and purchase them, simple as that. I could name loads of albums that were released only in the US or Japan for example and still they've been released. I know some Japanese or Indian artists whose albums were, for some reasons, released only in France, and some P-Funk albums have only been released in Japan. Still, they've been released through "normal distribution channels". It's not the first time that I read here that any record that isn't released in the US isn't released at all. Well, I'm sorry but there are LOADS of records released in various parts of the world that never reach the US save maybe as imports, still they are being released "normally". Similarly there have been countless CD's that I bought as expensive imports in Paris or Lyon, it never occured to me that they were not "normal" releases, an import is still a CD that one can buy in a wrecka stow, which wasn't the case with ONA or digital releases. On another note I think from now on digital-only releases are legions and define a "normal" distribution channel by 2014's standards, but I will agree that it wasn't yet the case in 2002 or 2004. Peace smile

Yes, I stand corrected. I wasn't trying to express an imperialist point of view in my reply. That said, I could not have easily walked into a French record store to buy Exodus, so to me it remains an example of an album released outside of the normal distribution channels to which I had access.

Maybe we can agree that normal is a complicated word that means different things to different people.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What is the best album by Prince that was not released through normal distribution channels?