independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 28th Feb 2020 5:06pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Art Official Age Best Record since TRC
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/26/14 3:33pm

mwm1166

Art Official Age Best Record since TRC

Musically and lyrically Prince is stretching himself further than he has in 13 years. The second half of the album after Breakfast Can Wait is a tour de force.... I have been bored with Prince's records since 3121. I've been able to find a few stand-out tracks. Diamonds in the rough if you will. Something that i loved on each record.

However, this album actually feels like a new musical direction. Working with a new producer seems to have allowed Prince to do some new things. But what I am struck with is the mellow almost melancholy vibe of this record.

It's reminiscent of some of the Sam Smith stuff that's on the radio. Very soulful, sad, and modern at the same time.

This Could Be Us

What it Feels Like

Way Back Home

Time

Affirmation III are the best Prince tracks I've heard in ages.

The only misstep for me on this record is FUNKNROLL. It's not a bad song, it just feels out of place on side 2 of this record. I think it could have been included as a secret track at the end of the CD or been a exlcuded completely. It almost completely destroys the vibe where it is currently sequenced.

Beyond that, wow. I had honestly really low expectations for this record as the songs downloaded to my Itunes account. I liked Breakdown, but i've worn that one out and same with Breakfast can Wait.

However this record is thematically and musically the most "album" and cohesive set we've had from Prince in 12-13 years.

Thoughts?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/26/14 3:45pm

dazedawhile

mwm1166 said:

Musically and lyrically Prince is stretching himself further than he has in 13 years. The second half of the album after Breakfast Can Wait is a tour de force.... I have been bored with Prince's records since 3121. I've been able to find a few stand-out tracks. Diamonds in the rough if you will. Something that i loved on each record.

However, this album actually feels like a new musical direction. Working with a new producer seems to have allowed Prince to do some new things. But what I am struck with is the mellow almost melancholy vibe of this record.

It's reminiscent of some of the Sam Smith stuff that's on the radio. Very soulful, sad, and modern at the same time.

This Could Be Us

What it Feels Like

Way Back Home

Time

Affirmation III are the best Prince tracks I've heard in ages.

The only misstep for me on this record is FUNKNROLL. It's not a bad song, it just feels out of place on side 2 of this record. I think it could have been included as a secret track at the end of the CD or been a exlcuded completely. It almost completely destroys the vibe where it is currently sequenced.

Beyond that, wow. I had honestly really low expectations for this record as the songs downloaded to my Itunes account. I liked Breakdown, but i've worn that one out and same with Breakfast can Wait.

However this record is thematically and musically the most "album" and cohesive set we've had from Prince in 12-13 years.

Thoughts?

i dont do much comparission to other albums. but if it helps u put things in perspective, thats fine. i really like TRC. i hav also like a lot in between. i hav heard this one maybe once and i really like it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/26/14 3:51pm

mwm1166

I'm not really comparing the albums so much. I'm more comparing the way an entire album made me feel. The last time I was excited for the duration was probably TRC. 3121 I was excited for most of it. The rest have just felt more mixed bag to me. Like collections of singles almost.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/26/14 6:47pm

utopia7

avatar

mwm1166 said:

I'm not really comparing the albums so much. I'm more comparing the way an entire album made me feel. The last time I was excited for the duration was probably TRC. 3121 I was excited for most of it. The rest have just felt more mixed bag to me. Like collections of singles almost.




Great post!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/26/14 6:55pm

jobyjayy

mwm1166 said:

Musically and lyrically Prince is stretching himself further than he has in 13 years. The second half of the album after Breakfast Can Wait is a tour de force.... I have been bored with Prince's records since 3121. I've been able to find a few stand-out tracks. Diamonds in the rough if you will. Something that i loved on each record.

However, this album actually feels like a new musical direction. Working with a new producer seems to have allowed Prince to do some new things. But what I am struck with is the mellow almost melancholy vibe of this record.

It's reminiscent of some of the Sam Smith stuff that's on the radio. Very soulful, sad, and modern at the same time.

This Could Be Us

What it Feels Like

Way Back Home

Time

Affirmation III are the best Prince tracks I've heard in ages.

The only misstep for me on this record is FUNKNROLL. It's not a bad song, it just feels out of place on side 2 of this record. I think it could have been included as a secret track at the end of the CD or been a exlcuded completely. It almost completely destroys the vibe where it is currently sequenced.

Beyond that, wow. I had honestly really low expectations for this record as the songs downloaded to my Itunes account. I liked Breakdown, but i've worn that one out and same with Breakfast can Wait.

However this record is thematically and musically the most "album" and cohesive set we've had from Prince in 12-13 years.

Thoughts?

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/26/14 7:30pm

trax

I like the fact that both are actual concept albums but after two days of listening on repeat and trying my best to like them, I just can't. To me these albums are complete garbage. I really wanted to like them and tried very hard but the more I listen the more I don't like them. Very sad for me. I hope others like them but they are not for me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/26/14 7:55pm

thedance

avatar

Art Official Age... woot!

I agree it's the best Prince-album in a very very long time.

Maybe even the best since The Gold Experience,


I really like it.. music

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/26/14 8:18pm

KingSausage

avatar

I think AOA is his strongest album since TGE, possibly even the Symbol album.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/26/14 10:04pm

mwm1166

trax said:

I like the fact that both are actual concept albums but after two days of listening on repeat and trying my best to like them, I just can't. To me these albums are complete garbage. I really wanted to like them and tried very hard but the more I listen the more I don't like them. Very sad for me. I hope others like them but they are not for me.




Oh man that's a bummer. That's a terrible feeling for me to want and try to like something and then just not. Terribly deflating. That's how I felt about most of 20ten. Although, I still found bright spots...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/26/14 10:07pm

pureTsexy

I was pleasantly shocked! This album has a strong start, and the most unusual outros I've ever heard from Prince. Only 1 or 2 tracks, I'd skip over, unless they grow on me. It's a solid album! Very clean, crisp, fresh, funky...and just let me tell you... When he hits you with The Affirmations and Way Back Home, prepare to be blown away, because this is prince in his rarest form. I still can't get the voices from those segments out of my head.
Prince delivered, and delivered bigger than I think we expected! Very pleased! His best work since The Gold Experience!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/27/14 1:26am

myloveis4ever

avatar

pureTsexy said:I was pleasantly shocked! This album has a strong start, and the most unusual outros I've ever heard from Prince. Only 1 or 2 tracks, I'd skip over, unless they grow on me. It's a solid album! Very clean, crisp, fresh, funky...and just let me tell you... When he hits you with The Affirmations and Way Back Home, prepare to be blown away, because this is prince in his rarest form. I still can't get the voices from those segments out of my head. Prince delivered, and delivered bigger than I think we expected! Very pleased! His best work since The Gold Experience! the most unusual outros? are u kidding me? lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/27/14 1:31am

AlexNevermind2
8

KingSausage said:

I think AOA is his strongest album since TGE, possibly even the Symbol album.

I was thinking this too, but go back and listen to TGE again like I did last night. TGE is better than AOA, but I do love them both!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/27/14 1:59am

Adorecream

Umm One Night Alone wa shis best album since The Rainbow Children, then Musicology was, then 3121 and then Lotusflow3r lol .

.

The pile of steaming dog turd that is TRC is not even worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence as any other Prince album, let alone the most cohesive album he has given us since the Gold Experience.

.

3121 and Lotusflow3r came close, but AOA is his best since the Gold Experience. It's still not quite 1980s quality yet though.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/27/14 2:04am

dodger

KingSausage said:

I think AOA is his strongest album since TGE, possibly even the Symbol album.


I'd go with that as well. I think it's better than TRC. Gold and Symbol are my favourite albums and I'd say AOA is his best since those
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/27/14 2:45am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

Adorecream said:

.

The pile of steaming dog turd that is TRC is not even worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence as any other Prince album, let alone the most cohesive album he has given us since the Gold Experience.

.

I think TRC is probably the most cohesive album he's ever done if cohesiveness is to be used as a measure. Awesome album,

For me AOA is easily the best since Lotusflow3r but that isn't saying a great deal. I enjoyed 20Ten but AOA blows it away. As to if it is better than Lotus or not it's way too early for me to say, Lotus has stood the test of time so far and I still listen to it regularly. Will I be listening to AOA as often in 5 years time? If it ends up surpassing Lotus then I'd have to go back to TRC for the next best since, then it would be back to Gold, then Lovesexy and SOTT.

AOA is definitely very, very good. Only one track that I have to skip at the moment. I'm not sure if some of the slower ones will become tiresome or become more enjoyed.

I won't get too carried away with my best since proclamations just yet. At some point it will probably be easier to say that it's up there with a particular album than say it's better than. Looking at my best since history above I see, AOA, Lotus, TRC, Gold, Lovesexy, SOTT. As to whether one is better than any other in that list it's purely subjective. They are all so beautifully different and that is why I love Prince so much.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/27/14 3:21am

stesa

avatar

My brutal alter-ego is telling me that the period without WB never existed. So yes, best since TGE.

I do like some of the other stuff very much, but I'm so glad he and WB came back with a strong product, prior to even more goodies (PR 30th...)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/27/14 4:36am

MIRvmn

avatar

Initially I tought it was his best since TRC but then again Lotus is such a strong record so his best since Lotus imo. But Im very happy with AOA, after 4 years wait he came back with an amazing album cool
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/27/14 7:51am

pureTsexy

myloveis4ever said:

pureTsexy said:I was pleasantly shocked! This album has a strong start, and the most unusual outros I've ever heard from Prince. Only 1 or 2 tracks, I'd skip over, unless they grow on me. It's a solid album! Very clean, crisp, fresh, funky...and just let me tell you... When he hits you with The Affirmations and Way Back Home, prepare to be blown away, because this is prince in his rarest form. I still can't get the voices from those segments out of my head. Prince delivered, and delivered bigger than I think we expected! Very pleased! His best work since The Gold Experience! the most unusual outros? are u kidding me? lol

nope not kidding. Rememeber this is an opinion...
Prince comes across very vulnerable, sad, and as if he's in search of something. The outro never hears him speak a word.. just that haunting layering of female voices repeating "until I, I find my, my way back home". The music itself is very sad, but with this touch of hope in the keyboards. It's very complex, but very streamlined, we'll put together to deliver something I've never heard from him.
Prince ends his 1st album in 4 years (1st U.S. release in 5 yrs) with this amazing outro. So yes... The most unusual outro I've ever heard from Prince.
[Edited 9/27/14 8:01am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Art Official Age Best Record since TRC