independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 23rd Oct 2019 4:05pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > FUNKNROLL from ART OFFICIAL AGE out on Amazon
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #180 posted 09/18/14 11:32pm

toejam

avatar

This may turn out to be my least favourite Prince album track of all time. Prince hasn't released an album under his name in over 4 years... an he includes this waste of 4mins 8secs? Damn. Ah well.

Toejam @ Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Toejam the solo artist: http://www.youtube.com/scottbignell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #181 posted 09/18/14 11:34pm

toejam

avatar

Superconductor said:

Nobody would waste their time listening to this if it wasn't branded as Prince.

.
nod

Yep. This would be forgotten within a second if it was released by someone unknown.

Toejam @ Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Toejam the solo artist: http://www.youtube.com/scottbignell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #182 posted 09/18/14 11:36pm

toejam

avatar

The coveted trophy for 'most skippable album track' has already been sent to the engravers.

Toejam @ Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Toejam the solo artist: http://www.youtube.com/scottbignell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #183 posted 09/18/14 11:45pm

bashraka

toejam said:

The coveted trophy for 'most skippable album track' has already been sent to the engravers.

My question is: where is the funk and where is the rock and roll? I can understand why folks dig this song but I had to let this song go. Id rather blast "Push It Up" in my car with Tony M rapping Doug E. Fresh's part.

3121 #1 THIS YEAR
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #184 posted 09/19/14 1:20am

SquirrelMeat

avatar

toejam said:

This may turn out to be my least favourite Prince album track of all time. Prince hasn't released an album under his name in over 4 years... an he includes this waste of 4mins 8secs? Damn. Ah well.



Damn I looking forward to your review.
lol
.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #185 posted 09/19/14 2:39am

Krieger

avatar

SquirrelMeat said:

toejam said:

This may turn out to be my least favourite Prince album track of all time. Prince hasn't released an album under his name in over 4 years... an he includes this waste of 4mins 8secs? Damn. Ah well.

Damn I looking forward to your review. lol

I just got the download link, and I LOVE IT. Funknroll is AWSOME !!!! Just LOVE IT !!! DAMN ITs NASTY. Love the mix of live sound and electro!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #186 posted 09/19/14 2:42am

Rorywan

avatar

Well I've got a good sense of the overall tone of the album is now. Got the Funknroll download from Warners this morning.

I like it a lot. Much more interetsting (and commercial) then anything he's done for a while.

It's nothing ground breaking for sure, but I think it's a lot of fun.

smile

"My God it's full of Stars"
Indigo Club, September 21st 2008, 4.24am
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #187 posted 09/19/14 2:51am

dodger

bashraka said:

toejam said:

The coveted trophy for 'most skippable album track' has already been sent to the engravers.

My question is: where is the funk and where is the rock and roll? I can understand why folks dig this song but I had to let this song go. Id rather blast "Push It Up" in my car with Tony M rapping Doug E. Fresh's part.

biggrin

I love the radio rip version and hope that is the one we're getting on PE, but this is not my cup of tea. On the plus side - you can say its different to anything he's done and near the end it gets a bit interesting.

[Edited 9/19/14 4:23am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #188 posted 09/19/14 2:55am

Nikkie

avatar

If you like Prince, how can y'all hate on this SO much. It's the type of party track he's done before, production is sparse and slick. If it's not your type of track, ok. The remix may not be as good as the original, but it has a great vibe, great vocals, a catchy chorus/chant and a booming bass line. cool
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #189 posted 09/19/14 3:35am

jaawwnn

avatar

I like it more than every other song i've heard off Art Official Age. SO THERE.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #190 posted 09/19/14 3:42am

fbueller

avatar

ugh.

[Edited 9/19/14 3:49am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #191 posted 09/19/14 3:53am

Aerogram

avatar

Nikkie said:

If you like Prince, how can y'all hate on this SO much. It's the type of party track he's done before, production is sparse and slick. If it's not your type of track, ok. The remix may not be as good as the original, but it has a great vibe, great vocals, a catchy chorus/chant and a booming bass line. cool


It's hated by some because Prince's music is expected to sound a certain way, we all have a very specific idea of how we like our Prince. He explored so much and has such a sprawling palette that it is almost a crime for him to go outside these stylistic boundaries.

Prince has done nothing but Classic Prince for well over a decade, we wanted Rocking Prince, we wanted Linn Drum Prince, we wanted Piano Prince. We got all that and while some of it was nice and even great, it was not going forward. The idea of how Prince should do rock, funk, Rnb needs expansion. I don't think he's going to be 100% successful with Plel, but AOA sounds more cohesive than any other album since 1999, the production stems from the same well, it's not a collection.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #192 posted 09/19/14 4:07am

NewYorkCity

Showing it can be successful around the world on iTunes and Amazon so..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #193 posted 09/19/14 4:08am

fbueller

avatar

.

[Edited 9/19/14 5:03am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #194 posted 09/19/14 4:18am

Stranger

I am on the fence still after 5-6 listenings. The start is quite bad, cheesy as only Prince does cheesy, and the annoying Timbaland sound is eeh... annoying. BUT, the rest is pretty funky actually, the guitar and the synth especially, and vocals cool. So maybe if Prince could de-mix the remix we would be there..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #195 posted 09/19/14 4:43am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

Stranger said:

I am on the fence still after 5-6 listenings. The start is quite bad, cheesy as only Prince does cheesy, and the annoying Timbaland sound is eeh... annoying. BUT, the rest is pretty funky actually, the guitar and the synth especially, and vocals cool. So maybe if Prince could de-mix the remix we would be there..

Already done. The version played on the radio, which is expected to be the Plectrumelectrum version.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #196 posted 09/19/14 5:00am

Stranger

TheEnglishGent said:

Stranger said:

I am on the fence still after 5-6 listenings. The start is quite bad, cheesy as only Prince does cheesy, and the annoying Timbaland sound is eeh... annoying. BUT, the rest is pretty funky actually, the guitar and the synth especially, and vocals cool. So maybe if Prince could de-mix the remix we would be there..

Already done. The version played on the radio, which is expected to be the Plectrumelectrum version.

sure, but isn't the instrumentation different on that one? Less synths etc?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #197 posted 09/19/14 5:15am

nonamesleft

nonamesleft said:

TheEnglishGent said:

Why is there a wookpecker in the background?

.

Not a totally orignal element, would anyone agree its kinda similar to the 'clicking' in this Swizz Beats track and D'Angelo's more subtle use in Devils Pie ?

.

From the sample, I think I'll like this track.

.

The sample lied, I listened o the full thing on the youtube video and I don't like what I hear sad damn.

----------
Lets just go somewhere (we can funk)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #198 posted 09/19/14 5:16am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

Ok, this track has been really bugging me. I was so looking forward to hearing this version as I loved all previous versions of this song so much. So I've been listening to it this morning, breaking my self imposed ban on over listening to the new stuf before the album releases. Yeah, I'm weak, sue me. biggrin

Well, my first impression was that I liked the start and the end might have been good. After a few more listens I can say for sure that the first 20 seconds are fine and the last minute and a half is fantastic but I still have no idea what the hell is going on for the 2 or so minutes in between. There's no energy and that is so strange for a track called Funknroll, there's no funk, there's certainly no roll. I really like the vocals but the 'music', (yep, it's going in air quotes because it's not really music now is it?), the 'music' is somewhat lacking. He's singing about getting into the rhythm it's good for the soul. Well how about some decent rhythym behind it? And then what on earth happens in the chorus? He leads into it with the words, "let's party like you ain't gonna party again", and I think, yes, let's get this thing moving with some awesome party music. But nope, for now is the time to make it even more bland with backing sounds from a woodpecker and a hiccupping gorilla. wtf?!

I can't see myself ever warming to those bizarre 2 minutes. But there's good news. I did an edit, kept the start, cut out the party at the zoo, did some jiggery pokery and joined up the end. So now I have an awesome 1:51 edit to slip into the album when it releases.

Looking around the web it seems people either love it or hate it, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground. So at least it has that keeping it consistent with the rest of his recent material. lol

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #199 posted 09/19/14 5:20am

thx185

avatar

This is motherfucking HOT.

Another poster pegged it- this is nothing less than a fresh blend of NPG funk (the backbone of the track), Camille-type attitude and Batman-like samples (first half) and 1999 style synth-rockabilly brought into 2014.


This is a massively successful blending of many things I love about Prince. The beginning of the track captures his swagger so well. The rhymically swung lyrics from the original track juxtaposed with the rhythmically square electro beat towards the end is brilliant.

Bravo!! yes cloud9

"..free to change your mind"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #200 posted 09/19/14 5:33am

KingSausage

avatar

Goddammit. I typed a long review but I lost it because I have iOS 8 running on a 4S right now so I'm essentially slapping my fingers on a brick.

I can't make myself retype it. So I'll sum it up: MEH. I don't love it. I don't hate it. But can someone please help Prince with lyrics. He's always been a poor lyricist, but AOA might be the low point. It's accetpable when the music is bad too. But I like the AOA songs so far.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #201 posted 09/19/14 5:42am

dodger

TheEnglishGent said:

Ok, this track has been really bugging me. I was so looking forward to hearing this version as I loved all previous versions of this song so much. So I've been listening to it this morning, breaking my self imposed ban on over listening to the new stuf before the album releases. Yeah, I'm weak, sue me. biggrin

Well, my first impression was that I liked the start and the end might have been good. After a few more listens I can say for sure that the first 20 seconds are fine and the last minute and a half is fantastic but I still have no idea what the hell is going on for the 2 or so minutes in between. There's no energy and that is so strange for a track called Funknroll, there's no funk, there's certainly no roll. I really like the vocals but the 'music', (yep, it's going in air quotes because it's not really music now is it?), the 'music' is somewhat lacking. He's singing about getting into the rhythm it's good for the soul. Well how about some decent rhythym behind it? And then what on earth happens in the chorus? He leads into it with the words, "let's party like you ain't gonna party again", and I think, yes, let's get this thing moving with some awesome party music. But nope, for now is the time to make it even more bland with backing sounds from a woodpecker and a hiccupping gorilla. wtf?!

I can't see myself ever warming to those bizarre 2 minutes. But there's good news. I did an edit, kept the start, cut out the party at the zoo, did some jiggery pokery and joined up the end. So now I have an awesome 1:51 edit to slip into the album when it releases.

Looking around the web it seems people either love it or hate it, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground. So at least it has that keeping it consistent with the rest of his recent material. lol

I pretty much agree with this. I like the vocals, the intro and the end is quite good but reminds me of Fatboy Slim. I keep expecting 'check it out now the funk soul brother' to kick in. Maybe you should send your edit to Prince - you could be the new Josh wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #202 posted 09/19/14 6:10am

MIRvmn

avatar

It's sad that it came to the point where Prince choose to put garbage on his new albums, erlier there was certain songs on his albums I dissliked but I could still listen to them. Well I enjoy Clouds, U know, Breakdown, What it feels like so I still believe AOA goin to be a good album.
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #203 posted 09/19/14 6:13am

camile100

I was looking forward to this song and was initially disappointed. However on more listens I am really enjoying it. Catchier than more recent songs. Think it could have been more commercial if more guitar and less hip-hop style but good nonetheless. If the version on PE is more guitar driven then I'd be really happy to have the two.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #204 posted 09/19/14 6:15am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

thx185 said:

This is motherfucking HOT.

Another poster pegged it- this is nothing less than a fresh blend of NPG funk (the backbone of the track)

This track has the backbone of a jellyfish lol imho

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #205 posted 09/19/14 6:58am

WetDream

avatar

toejam said:

This may turn out to be my least favourite Prince album track of all time. Prince hasn't released an album under his name in over 4 years... an he includes this waste of 4mins 8secs? Damn. Ah well.

Please tear this peice of shit a new one in your next podcast and i hope he hears it. Can't believe he has dumbed himself down so much. I'm embarrassed for him....plus it makes me look like a dick after bragging about how musically advanced he is to non-believers and he drops something like this peice of crap and they laugh at it and me.

This Post is produced, arranged, composed and performed by WetDream
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #206 posted 09/19/14 7:22am

KCOOLMUZIQ

Eye like how prince is unleashing different remixes of this classic new funk anthem! It reminds me of the "Get off" days, which was a big club hit, with multiple remixes. This build up is intoxicating!

Eye can see Ellen dancing to this in the opening of her talk show....It would open it up to a new audience of millions!!!!! This year has turned into a mezmerizing mix of purple funk!!!

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #207 posted 09/19/14 7:28am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

KCOOLMUZIQ said:

Eye like how prince is unleashing different remixes of this classic new funk anthem! It reminds me of the "Get off" days, which was a big club hit, with multiple remixes. This build up is intoxicating!

Eye can see Ellen dancing to this in the opening of her talk show....It would open it up to a new audience of millions!!!!! This year has turned into a mezmerizing mix of purple funk!!!

Wait, I agree with KCOOL!

These remixes also remind me of the Gett Off remixes, they were shit too.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #208 posted 09/19/14 7:32am

KCOOLMUZIQ

rolleyes

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #209 posted 09/19/14 7:35am

Genesia

avatar

TheEnglishGent said:

KCOOLMUZIQ said:

Eye like how prince is unleashing different remixes of this classic new funk anthem! It reminds me of the "Get off" days, which was a big club hit, with multiple remixes. This build up is intoxicating!

Eye can see Ellen dancing to this in the opening of her talk show....It would open it up to a new audience of millions!!!!! This year has turned into a mezmerizing mix of purple funk!!!

Wait, I agree with KCOOL!

These remixes also remind me of the Gett Off remixes, they were shit too.


Oh, come on. Gangster Glam was fi-yah! lol

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > FUNKNROLL from ART OFFICIAL AGE out on Amazon