independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 16th Feb 2020 11:16pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Underrated Musical Moment: I Will
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/29/14 4:16pm

10000Degrees

Underrated Musical Moment: I Will

I was 17 when Chaos and Disorder was released and I need to say that while Prince was definately in no where near radio back in 1996, the music that was poouring out of him was pretty damn ridiculous.

The song I Will has some of his best studio guitar work in my humble opinion. The little fills he's playing are freaking awesome and that solo at the end just rips. I was approx. 4 years into playing guitar at that point and didn't really comprehend just how incredible the guy actually is on guitar. His rhythm playing is just so unique and imaginative.

He's also wailing on I Rock, Therefore I Am - which is another track that I really like listening to every now and then.

Way to go Prince!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/29/14 7:14pm

emesem

Nice track. helped me through a very difficult breakup way back then.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/30/14 8:33am

Askani

avatar

I love "I Will" and always have.

I have a theory that Into the Light and I Will were originally sequenced as parts 2 & 3 of a longer suite. The way Into the Light begins makes me think that it was meant to come directly out of the last vocal line The Holy River. Then for whatever reason he separated them and added all the guitar soloing onto The Holy River.

Not sure I've ever actually tried to create this sequence to see if it works but it's always struck me that they all went together as part of a suite.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/30/14 1:33pm

databank

avatar

I Will is a beautiful song and the pair (with In2 The Light) is a beautiful suite as well.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/01/14 1:43pm

Bluu

Gorgeous song. Classic and it nicely balances the edgy rock of the Chaos and Disorder album.

.

It is one of those pieces that reflect the great contrast of his emotions. Overall the music is so melodic, very gentle and airy, but interspersed with those sudden somber--almost ominous--drops that underscore the purpose and struggle he sings about. He plays out emotional contrast in the lyrics as well, touching on hardship and facing defeat with courage and an steadfast determination to rise again.

.

Wish I knew what the lyrics meant. I used to think he was referring to reincarnation at one point in the song but reading the words just now I'm certain I was totally wrong. smile

.

I also think its very cool how P. sings high and Rosie sings low on the song for a reversal of gender roles that lends a unique texture to the song.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/01/14 1:55pm

Askani

avatar

Bluu said:

Gorgeous song. Classic and it nicely balances the edgy rock of the Chaos and Disorder album.

.

It is one of those pieces that reflect the great contrast of his emotions. Overall the music is so melodic, very gentle and airy, but interspersed with those sudden somber--almost ominous--drops that underscore the purpose and struggle he sings about. He plays out emotional contrast in the lyrics as well, touching on hardship and facing defeat with courage and an steadfast determination to rise again.

.

Wish I knew what the lyrics meant. I used to think he was referring to reincarnation at one point in the song but reading the words just now I'm certain I was totally wrong. smile

.

I also think its very cool how P. sings high and Rosie sings low on the song for a reversal of gender roles that lends a unique texture to the song.

for some reason, I always took it to be a wedding vow sort of thing. But you've got me reading the lyrics for the first time, and I'm totally wrong too lol

looks like one of his messiah complex songs.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/01/14 5:00pm

Genesia

avatar

I've always liked this one.
We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/01/14 5:46pm

10000Degrees

Bluu said:

Gorgeous song. Classic and it nicely balances the edgy rock of the Chaos and Disorder album.

.

It is one of those pieces that reflect the great contrast of his emotions. Overall the music is so melodic, very gentle and airy, but interspersed with those sudden somber--almost ominous--drops that underscore the purpose and struggle he sings about. He plays out emotional contrast in the lyrics as well, touching on hardship and facing defeat with courage and an steadfast determination to rise again.

.

Wish I knew what the lyrics meant. I used to think he was referring to reincarnation at one point in the song but reading the words just now I'm certain I was totally wrong. smile

.

I also think its very cool how P. sings high and Rosie sings low on the song for a reversal of gender roles that lends a unique texture to the song.

Hey Bluu,

I really like the way you put things here.

This is the type of discussion I aim to have regarding Prince's music... these new fans are aimless blindfaith cheerleaders for each and every thing Prince records these days. Prince could fart in a bottle and sell it as perfume and these kids would be first in line, cash in hand.

Cool review!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/01/14 5:51pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

I Will is a beautiful song and the pair (with In2 The Light) is a beautiful suite as well.


I like the song as well, though i do not care much for into the light

Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/01/14 6:10pm

CharismaDove

Chaos and Disorder is terribly underrated, as most of his late-90s albums are

[Edited 9/1/14 18:10pm]

I guess you know me well, I dont like winter, but I seem to get a kick outta doing you cold
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/03/14 11:41am

Bluu

Hey there 10000Degrees,

.

Thanks for the compliment! It's always a joy to find other orgers 'willing and able' to explore Prince's creations cool . Full disclosure: I love just about every song that man has ever written (look how he runs me!) so I'm pretty biased. But my passion for his music is genuine so I'm always interested in other people's experiences of his music, and sharing my own.

.

Excellent choice for a song appreciation thread!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/03/14 12:04pm

nayroo2002

avatar

Bluu said:

Hey there 10000Degrees,

.

Thanks for the compliment! It's always a joy to find other orgers 'willing and able' to explore Prince's creations cool . Full disclosure: I love just about every song that man has ever written (look how he runs me!) so I'm pretty biased. But my passion for his music is genuine so I'm always interested in other people's experiences of his music, and sharing my own.

.

Excellent choice for a song appreciation thread!

THAT's the .org i remember!!!

.

Great song BTW and i really like Askani's theory! It kinda makes sense to me, too.

.

Prost!

"Whatever skin Ur in
we all need 2 b friends"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/03/14 1:52pm

2020

avatar

One of my favorites off of C&D...such a chill track music

The greatest live performer of our times was is and always will be Prince.

Remember there is only one destination and that place is U
All of it. Everything. Is U.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/07/14 6:59am

Askani

avatar

Askani said:

I love "I Will" and always have. I have a theory that Into the Light and I Will were originally sequenced as parts 2 & 3 of a longer suite. The way Into the Light begins makes me think that it was meant to come directly out of the last vocal line The Holy River. Then for whatever reason he separated them and added all the guitar soloing onto The Holy River. Not sure I've ever actually tried to create this sequence to see if it works but it's always struck me that they all went together as part of a suite.

I wonder if my theory is supported by the fact that the NPGMC "Instrumental" that is a re-recorded version of "The Holy River" interpolates a portion of "Into the Light"...? hmmm

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Underrated Musical Moment: I Will