independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Joshua Welton and Prince
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 10/11/14 9:14am

JoshuaWho

Vannormal said:

Listen closely, Josh chokes Prince's voice in nearly every song through a telephone... Is that contemporary production ? Also the overdone drum fill in's, the whoosh/wind sounds everywhere... The lack of true great funk in The Gold Standard... I can go on and on. And what surprises me the most is the lack of great strings. Basically no strings, and if so they are way back in the mix... Too much echo everywhere in the production too. So un-Prince. He's dry, he's funky and original for his sound. In other words, Prince doesn't need a new sound, an updated sound. He needs a kick in the butt. Now at least he sounds updated till 2001 if you like. That's all. I don't like this little club of Jehovah boys and girls around Prince. At least that's how they sound to me. They don't need to ge wild or rude, and that's the problem I think.

A simple and clearly stated summary. I think I would have to agree

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 10/11/14 10:38am

funksterr

A lot of good points in this thread. I think Prince does himself a huge disservice by not working with the best of the best. Joshua has the job simply because he is young and impressionable, has a bit of production knowledge and his name is Biblical. That's his resume.

None of Prince's new material is as focused as someone at the top of the game should be, though his uptempo R&B is better than it has been for a long long long time. However, none of this is even up to speed with El Debarge's last album, from 2010 mind you, which speaks to how far Prince's game has fallen. The producer job o a Prince record at this point required someone who could raise The Titanic. Joshua did sort of an OK job. Nothing great on AOA, but it's plays well through the first 5-6 songs or so. PE is pretty good overall. Joshua deserves credit for feeding Prince some inspiration and improving his production, but with that said, he didn't bring Prince all the way back. As good a job as Joshua did with these projects, and he deserves our appreciation, can you imagine what Prince might do with some experienced pros feeding him?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 10/11/14 12:58pm

fnksoul

funksterr said:

A lot of good points in this thread. I think Prince does himself a huge disservice by not working with the best of the best. Joshua has the job simply because he is young and impressionable, has a bit of production knowledge and his name is Biblical. That's his resume.

None of Prince's new material is as focused as someone at the top of the game should be, though his uptempo R&B is better than it has been for a long long long time. However, none of this is even up to speed with El Debarge's last album, from 2010 mind you, which speaks to how far Prince's game has fallen. The producer job o a Prince record at this point required someone who could raise The Titanic. Joshua did sort of an OK job. Nothing great on AOA, but it's plays well through the first 5-6 songs or so. PE is pretty good overall. Joshua deserves credit for feeding Prince some inspiration and improving his production, but with that said, he didn't bring Prince all the way back. As good a job as Joshua did with these projects, and he deserves our appreciation, can you imagine what Prince might do with some experienced pros feeding him?



Would be epic, but will never happen, he's been happy to share the Credits with Josh on the basis that he can say he's "teaching" him but maybe seems more like Prince has learnt a little from Josh and opened his eyes a bit to bring him a bit more up to date.

I'd like to see him work with Tensnake, Nile Rogers to name a couple, but it his Ego wouldnt allow it IMO.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 10/12/14 4:04am

FormerlyKnownA
s

avatar

Yes, the last time Prince was influenced by some one it was... [There is a knock at the door.]

Hold up, someone's at the doe.


[Formerlyknownas goes to answer the door.]








"Oh, hello Larry Graham! What brings you to the neighborhood?"

"Why no, I haven't read any books lately."

"Um, gee. Thanks."






[Formerlyknownas returns to the thread.]






Sorry, ya'll. That was Larry Graham. You know, the bass player from Sly and the Family Stone. He was out just walkin' in my neighborhhod, passing out some reading material. He left a pamphlet for me I'll read sometime later. Now what was I talkin' bout here?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 10/12/14 4:31am

funkyhead

look, P has innovated in production for years..decades even BUT his production over recent years has mostly NOT wholly been average at best. Josh has made even the most average songs at least interesting..every song has something interesting going on. I am no longer bothered about the 'Produced, arranged, composed & performed by Prince'..right now I want good, interesting music. He will alwyas be a control freak BUT collaboration is a sensible way forward when the well has run dry. He will either learn & adapt new ideas, carry on with Josh or find new producers...in each case it will be a big step forward.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 10/12/14 7:11am

KCOOLMUZIQ

A match made in heaven!!!!

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 10/12/14 7:23am

JoshuaWho

funksterr said:

A lot of good points in this thread. I think Prince does himself a huge disservice by not working with the best of the best. Joshua has the job simply because he is young and impressionable, has a bit of production knowledge and his name is Biblical. That's his resume.

None of Prince's new material is as focused as someone at the top of the game should be, though his uptempo R&B is better than it has been for a long long long time. However, none of this is even up to speed with El Debarge's last album, from 2010 mind you, which speaks to how far Prince's game has fallen. The producer job o a Prince record at this point required someone who could raise The Titanic. Joshua did sort of an OK job. Nothing great on AOA, but it's plays well through the first 5-6 songs or so. PE is pretty good overall. Joshua deserves credit for feeding Prince some inspiration and improving his production, but with that said, he didn't bring Prince all the way back. As good a job as Joshua did with these projects, and he deserves our appreciation, can you imagine what Prince might do with some experienced pros feeding him?

I just dont think Prince needs anyone "feeding" him. The best of Prince is from Prince and only Prince. Always has been.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 10/12/14 7:46am

XxAxX

avatar

my point of view about Joshua Welton is thank you so much! because, the more i listen to AOA the more i'm blown away by the craftsmanship of the work. this is right now my all time favorite prince work. so, if it took Mr. Welton and 3EYE to bring prince to a space where his ideas could manifest in this way, i can only again say thank you bow this album is so TASTY

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 10/12/14 9:08am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

funkyhead said:

look, P has innovated in production for years..decades even BUT his production over recent years has mostly NOT wholly been average at best. Josh has made even the most average songs at least interesting..every song has something interesting going on. I am no longer bothered about the 'Produced, arranged, composed & performed by Prince'..right now I want good, interesting music. He will alwyas be a control freak BUT collaboration is a sensible way forward when the well has run dry. He will either learn & adapt new ideas, carry on with Josh or find new producers...in each case it will be a big step forward.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 10/12/14 11:22am

fnksoul



It's pretty good to see how alot of peoples views have changed since the album dropped, great to see some positive comments from people and not just slating Josh for running around the stage bashing a cowbell, Josh seems like a decent down to earth guy and I think its fully deserved for him and the girls

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 10/12/14 11:37am

funksterr

JoshuaWho said:

funksterr said:

A lot of good points in this thread. I think Prince does himself a huge disservice by not working with the best of the best. Joshua has the job simply because he is young and impressionable, has a bit of production knowledge and his name is Biblical. That's his resume.

None of Prince's new material is as focused as someone at the top of the game should be, though his uptempo R&B is better than it has been for a long long long time. However, none of this is even up to speed with El Debarge's last album, from 2010 mind you, which speaks to how far Prince's game has fallen. The producer job o a Prince record at this point required someone who could raise The Titanic. Joshua did sort of an OK job. Nothing great on AOA, but it's plays well through the first 5-6 songs or so. PE is pretty good overall. Joshua deserves credit for feeding Prince some inspiration and improving his production, but with that said, he didn't bring Prince all the way back. As good a job as Joshua did with these projects, and he deserves our appreciation, can you imagine what Prince might do with some experienced pros feeding him?

I just dont think Prince needs anyone "feeding" him. The best of Prince is from Prince and only Prince. Always has been.

Not sure what you consider the best of Prince, but every project I can think of had collaborators

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 10/12/14 12:21pm

novabrkr

He took his uploads off Youtube right after we started posting links here and discussing his abilities to work as a producer for Prince. The reason for that could have also been that AOA & PE were about to get released and he didn't feel comfortable with his ("old") solo material being there anymore.

In any case, that stuff's not available for public viewing anymore.




  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 10/12/14 1:00pm

Scarfo

jobyjayy said:

I've heard some of my fellow orgers moaning and complaing about Josh Welton's (Hanna's husband)

influence/co production credits on the new album. Maybe it's a good thing. I don't know if he had anything to do with producing or mixing "clouds" but that joint is sonically more pleasing than much of P's output these past several years. I always thought that P was a master at analog recording but never really found his "sound" when it came to working in a completely digital realm. Could it be that Mr. Welton is helping make the most of Mr. Nelson's music in this digital age? Or am I just being stupid? What sayith the org?

I like Josh as his producer! Listen to how fresh and awesome Prince's music sounds when he's producing it! I know ya'll heard Xcess Face!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 10/12/14 6:41pm

KCOOLMUZIQ

Scarfo said:

jobyjayy said:

I've heard some of my fellow orgers moaning and complaing about Josh Welton's (Hanna's husband)

influence/co production credits on the new album. Maybe it's a good thing. I don't know if he had anything to do with producing or mixing "clouds" but that joint is sonically more pleasing than much of P's output these past several years. I always thought that P was a master at analog recording but never really found his "sound" when it came to working in a completely digital realm. Could it be that Mr. Welton is helping make the most of Mr. Nelson's music in this digital age? Or am I just being stupid? What sayith the org?

I like Josh as his producer! Listen to how fresh and awesome Prince's music sounds when he's producing it! I know ya'll heard Xcess Face!

rolleyes

Now let's not get carried away now! prince can sound fresh & awesome all by his lonesome. Don't disgrace his talent, like some "thing" else made a thread about prince not EVER getting a top 40 hit single again. He will be getting one with this new top of the charts album A.o.A.

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 10/12/14 6:49pm

cbarnes3121

i wouldnt mind if npg records backed a josh cd he is a good vocalist and ok producer and i think prince can help him bring out more of a well rounded craft. prince need 2 put npg on the map get the projects out there he got a liv warfielld cd out now lets get elisa,shelby, npg and so many others out there bring the light 2 npg and expose it

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 10/12/14 7:32pm

babynoz

novabrkr said:

He took his uploads off Youtube right after we started posting links here and discussing his abilities to work as a producer for Prince. The reason for that could have also been that AOA & PE were about to get released and he didn't feel comfortable with his ("old") solo material being there anymore.

In any case, that stuff's not available for public viewing anymore.






Well I'm glad that I looked when I did....equally glad that I didn't post any links here.

I think that his playing and singing is very good and I wouldn't mind Prince and Josh fleshing out some more ideas together.

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 10/13/14 12:22am

aiden

avatar

Gohi said:



fnksoul said:




DFUNK said:


Well, Im going to throw in my 20 cents.



The fact of the matter is, some of the material Prince has released in the last 12 months, has been some of his best sounding material in years. His releases with 3rd Eye Girl sound promising, and "The Breakdown" is a really beautiful song.



While it might not be obvious to all of us as to what exactly Josh Weltons imput is, lets just enjoy this resurgence that Prince is displaying. Production wise, I personally thought the 20Ten album was a real low point. It sounds cheap, demo-ish and I cringe everytime I listen to it.



In the last 12 months I have seen some real signs that Prince is refreshed and very much back on top of his game again. And if it just so happens that Josh Welton has a helping hand in this, so be it.



.


.


Well said, he's been lacking something for years and like you say over the past 12 months its looked up a little.



The new stuff sounds just as cheap and artificial as 20ten.



That isn't true, AOA sounds completely different sonically to 20ten... Also both albums are great but AOA is superior in production quality.
"Still Crazy 4 Coco Rock"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 10/13/14 2:16pm

Noodled24

fnksoul said:

funksterr said:

can you imagine what Prince might do with some experienced pros feeding him?



Would be epic, but will never happen, he's been happy to share the Credits with Josh on the basis that he can say he's "teaching" him but maybe seems more like Prince has learnt a little from Josh and opened his eyes a bit to bring him a bit more up to date.

I'd like to see him work with Tensnake, Nile Rogers to name a couple, but it his Ego wouldnt allow it IMO.


I thought the same, but then Josh has taken every opportunity to stake his claim on everything he's done.

We know Josh made a Rita Ora track into a banger, and he's also got credit on "the single most amazing".

We know there are "songs on AOA that Prince never played a note".

We know the Prince remix of Janelles QUEEN is Josh's work.

Josh hasn't been shy about any of it. There's little difference now between working with Josh and with someone more established. I think this entire AOA/3EG concept could be an effort to launch Paisley Park as an Abby Road type studio. Or at least a destination worth visiting... although I'd guess there's a no drink/drugs policy and they love god A LOT there. Even so it makes sense to hire out the studios and make it pay for itself. It must cost a fortune to operate.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 10/13/14 2:26pm

dandan

Just hearing Prince working with a producer is great. Josh is definitely not the best however, so I can only imagine what Prince would sound like with a worldclass producer.

I got two sides... and they're both friends.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 10/13/14 3:05pm

MoBettaBliss

jack white should have produced PE

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 10/13/14 3:40pm

terrig

MoBettaBliss said:

jack white should have produced PE



this just stopped my heart. YES. omg can you imagine?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 10/13/14 3:51pm

KCOOLMUZIQ

dandan said:

Just hearing Prince working with a producer is great. Josh is definitely not the best however, so I can only imagine what Prince would sound like with a worldclass producer.

New producers have to start somewhere! prince is the BEST teacher ALIVE! Pharrell isn't the only producer. Plus his songs don't have any longevity. Whose going 2 b playing "Gust of Wind" in the year 3000 rolleyes .

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 10/13/14 3:53pm

Embrace

For years, a certain segment of the Prince population has been yawning and moaning that Prince should use a producer. Get hem back in touch with the currents again and more of that.

Prince then uses a producer. And together they actually succeed in producing a very good Prince record in touch with the current music streams. Not produced, but co-produced.

But then that certain segement of the Prince population still finds something to be negative on. No matter how far fetched or unfounded. Like the producer their precious idol dared to work with!

Oh the agony for you sorry souls. It's just to much too take. My heart bleeds for you while my mind is still surprised by the freshness of AOA and my body still moving to it, like it wanted to for years.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 10/15/14 1:08am

Rebeljuice

I dont know how much of an influence Josh has had on AOA, but I suspect more than I think. And it is certainly a good thing. People are dissing Josh and saying Prince should work with established producers but I disagree.

Josh as a solo artist is ok. Nothing outstanding. He was middle of the road and couldnt really write a good song.

Prince has needed to update the production on his work. His production has been outdated and bland for quite a while. But he can still write a killer song.

These two worlds have collided. Prince has brought out the best in Josh and taught him many things. He has written some great songs and Josh has put his stamp on them. And whilst Josh's solo stuff may have been somewhat bland, with Prince "tutoring" him, he has managed to capture Prince's sound and take it to a level he could not have done before.

I think its a great combination. 2 people learning from each other and coming up with something new. People say AOA is an RnB album, but I dont hear that. I hear a Prince album with a new soundscape. It sounds like music which is being experimented with and I think, if there is to be another album, we will see how that experiment has advanced. AOA was dipping the toes in the water. Hopefully we will see a lot more daring in the future.

Prince with an established producer would be a train wreck from the get go. Egos would collide.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 10/15/14 5:15am

funkaholic1972

avatar

Rebeljuice said:

I dont know how much of an influence Josh has had on AOA, but I suspect more than I think. And it is certainly a good thing. People are dissing Josh and saying Prince should work with established producers but I disagree.

Josh as a solo artist is ok. Nothing outstanding. He was middle of the road and couldnt really write a good song.

Prince has needed to update the production on his work. His production has been outdated and bland for quite a while. But he can still write a killer song.

These two worlds have collided. Prince has brought out the best in Josh and taught him many things. He has written some great songs and Josh has put his stamp on them. And whilst Josh's solo stuff may have been somewhat bland, with Prince "tutoring" him, he has managed to capture Prince's sound and take it to a level he could not have done before.

I think its a great combination. 2 people learning from each other and coming up with something new. People say AOA is an RnB album, but I dont hear that. I hear a Prince album with a new soundscape. It sounds like music which is being experimented with and I think, if there is to be another album, we will see how that experiment has advanced. AOA was dipping the toes in the water. Hopefully we will see a lot more daring in the future.

Prince with an established producer would be a train wreck from the get go. Egos would collide.

Well said, I agree wuth this assessment. It would still be interesting to see Prince work with an established producer, but involving Josh is definately a step forward for Prince IMO.

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 10/15/14 5:50am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

littlebandit said:

"fall in love tonight" is like dredging muck from a manure puddle.

people, please liberate more vault stuff because I'm through with the present.

I ashamed to say I haven't listened to AOA in over a week but recently jamming the purple hell out of the 1985 Masquerade show in St Paul omg

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?

#IDEFINEME
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 10/15/14 11:06am

babynoz

Rebeljuice said:

I dont know how much of an influence Josh has had on AOA, but I suspect more than I think. And it is certainly a good thing. People are dissing Josh and saying Prince should work with established producers but I disagree.

Josh as a solo artist is ok. Nothing outstanding. He was middle of the road and couldnt really write a good song.

Prince has needed to update the production on his work. His production has been outdated and bland for quite a while. But he can still write a killer song.

These two worlds have collided. Prince has brought out the best in Josh and taught him many things. He has written some great songs and Josh has put his stamp on them. And whilst Josh's solo stuff may have been somewhat bland, with Prince "tutoring" him, he has managed to capture Prince's sound and take it to a level he could not have done before.

I think its a great combination. 2 people learning from each other and coming up with something new. People say AOA is an RnB album, but I dont hear that. I hear a Prince album with a new soundscape. It sounds like music which is being experimented with and I think, if there is to be another album, we will see how that experiment has advanced. AOA was dipping the toes in the water. Hopefully we will see a lot more daring in the future.

Prince with an established producer would be a train wreck from the get go. Egos would collide.



nod

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 10/15/14 12:05pm

TheGoldStandar
d

I respectfully disagree with y'all regarding Calvin Harris. He came up DIY style, his first album "I Created Disco" is so much fun!! He does aptly handle most styles of music, the current Rihanna/buildup style is, as someone mentioned, literally what folks want in the dance clubs. FALLINLUV2NITE does sort of suck but those synths blossom like beautiful flowers in my headphones.

.

The Welton production, in general, is inconsistent and the crew is sorta scary like a Mormon Manson Family. The Breakdown is a beautiful tune but terribly mastered, I can hardly hear it clearly at any volume when it hits its most dramatic moments. Also one of the main points that my non-Prince Fanatic friends had when we screened the album was: "Why is his voice so different sounding on almost each song?" for AOA and "Why can I kinda hear Prince singing these songs too?" for all the girl songs on PE.

[Edited 10/15/14 12:10pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 10/15/14 1:15pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

KCOOLMUZIQ said:

Scarfo said:

I like Josh as his producer! Listen to how fresh and awesome Prince's music sounds when he's producing it! I know ya'll heard Xcess Face!

rolleyes

Now let's not get carried away now! prince can sound fresh & awesome all by his lonesome. Don't disgrace his talent, like some "thing" else made a thread about prince not EVER getting a top 40 hit single again. He will be getting one with this new top of the charts album A.o.A.

No, he won't.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 10/15/14 3:34pm

Ego101

I can dig it. cool

Rebeljuice said:

I dont know how much of an influence Josh has had on AOA, but I suspect more than I think. And it is certainly a good thing. People are dissing Josh and saying Prince should work with established producers but I disagree.

Josh as a solo artist is ok. Nothing outstanding. He was middle of the road and couldnt really write a good song.

Prince has needed to update the production on his work. His production has been outdated and bland for quite a while. But he can still write a killer song.

These two worlds have collided. Prince has brought out the best in Josh and taught him many things. He has written some great songs and Josh has put his stamp on them. And whilst Josh's solo stuff may have been somewhat bland, with Prince "tutoring" him, he has managed to capture Prince's sound and take it to a level he could not have done before.

I think its a great combination. 2 people learning from each other and coming up with something new. People say AOA is an RnB album, but I dont hear that. I hear a Prince album with a new soundscape. It sounds like music which is being experimented with and I think, if there is to be another album, we will see how that experiment has advanced. AOA was dipping the toes in the water. Hopefully we will see a lot more daring in the future.

Prince with an established producer would be a train wreck from the get go. Egos would collide.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Joshua Welton and Prince