independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 15th Jul 2019 3:03pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Joshua Welton and Prince
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/29/14 2:32pm

jobyjayy

Joshua Welton and Prince

I've heard some of my fellow orgers moaning and complaing about Josh Welton's (Hanna's husband)

influence/co production credits on the new album. Maybe it's a good thing. I don't know if he had anything to do with producing or mixing "clouds" but that joint is sonically more pleasing than much of P's output these past several years. I always thought that P was a master at analog recording but never really found his "sound" when it came to working in a completely digital realm. Could it be that Mr. Welton is helping make the most of Mr. Nelson's music in this digital age? Or am I just being stupid? What sayith the org?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/29/14 2:40pm

thebanishedone

Joshua Welton is maybe a nice guy but he is a very average producer

judged by his solo output.

If Prince needs outside producer he should opt for someone more interesting.

I doubt that Clouds is coproduced,it sounds all Prince.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/29/14 2:45pm

mikeyaddict

avatar

Maybe Josh gets named as being involved and Prince gets a bit of alone time with Hannah.
Comin str8 outta Preston...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/29/14 3:38pm

thedance

avatar

mikeyaddict said:

Maybe Josh gets named as being involved and Prince gets a bit of alone time with Hannah.

eek

no, I don't think so. lol

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/29/14 3:40pm

thedance

avatar

I really liked the pop production of "FALLINLOVE2NITE",

It was co-produced by Josh Welton, wasn't it?

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/29/14 3:44pm

emesem

Yeah he's definitetly "updated" Prince's sound...............up to about 1992

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/29/14 3:45pm

Aerogram

avatar

We can speculate he's Prince's test ears for the market he's after or that Josh is deeply involved in providing a post-Gaga Prince for the 21st century.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/29/14 4:12pm

10000Degrees

mikeyaddict said:

Maybe Josh gets named as being involved and Prince gets a bit of alone time with Hannah.

hahahahahhahahaha... you're too funny!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/29/14 4:12pm

10000Degrees

thedance said:

I really liked the pop production of "FALLINLOVE2NITE",

It was co-produced by Josh Welton, wasn't it?

Come by and grab your qtips as soon as you are sober again.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/29/14 4:16pm

thedance

avatar

10000Degrees said:

thedance said:

I really liked the pop production of "FALLINLOVE2NITE",

It was co-produced by Josh Welton, wasn't it?

Come by and grab your qtips as soon as you are sober again.

I am sober alright, FALLINLOVE2NITE is better than any of the 3rd Eye Girl songs, imho.

wink

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/29/14 5:22pm

littlebandit

"fall in love tonight" is like dredging muck from a manure puddle.

people, please liberate more vault stuff because I'm through with the present.

[Edited 8/29/14 17:23pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/29/14 5:46pm

Blixical

avatar

thedance said:

I really liked the pop production of "FALLINLOVE2NITE",

It was co-produced by Josh Welton, wasn't it?

Everything about that song, including its production, screams of made-for-TV after school special.

มีเพียงความว่างเปล่า rose 只有空虚 rose Dim ond gwacter rose 만 공허함이있다 rose 唯一の虚しさがあります wilted There is only the void.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/29/14 9:04pm

hopefularrange
r

thebanishedone said:

I doubt that Clouds is coproduced,it sounds all Prince.


Prince and Joshua are credited as the co-producers of the entire album (including 'Clouds').

Believe it or not, there was a time when a producer's job was to help an artist make a recording which most faithfully represented them as artists. It seems, somewhere along the line, someone got the crazy idea that a producer's job should be to make every artist they produce sound less like themselves and more like the individual/individuals producing the work.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/29/14 9:43pm

Askani

avatar

Don't really care one way or another.

He's had other producers with him in the past that either got (or should have gotten) a co-producer credit, who basically came in and "finished" songs for him. And in some cases put them together from some very rudimentary tapes. Notably, W&L, Levi, Ricky Peterson, Kirky J, etc.

There doesn't seem to be any different.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/29/14 9:49pm

one2vibe

avatar

thedance said:

10000Degrees said:

Come by and grab your qtips as soon as you are sober again.

I am sober alright, FALLINLOVE2NITE is better than any of the 3rd Eye Girl songs, imho.

wink

Well I for one love FALLINLUV2NITE as well. And am deeply saddened that it isn't on the new album. I'd like a whole ablum of some dance beats like that by good ol Mr. P.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/29/14 11:00pm

jobyjayy

Askani said:

Don't really care one way or another.



He's had other producers with him in the past that either got (or should have gotten) a co-producer credit, who basically came in and "finished" songs for him. And in some cases put them together from some very rudimentary tapes. Notably, W&L, Levi, Ricky Peterson, Kirky J, etc.



There doesn't seem to be any different.



Speaking of Ricky Peterson, he produced and mixed The most beautiful girl in the World and it sounds amazing compared to anything Prince has recorded in last 20 plus years. Don't believe me? Go listen to it right now!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/29/14 11:06pm

leadline

avatar

Josh also is the remixer for all the tracks on The Breakfast Experience EP. All sounds good to me!

[Edited 8/29/14 23:28pm]

"You always get the dream that you deserve, from what you value the most" -Prince 2013
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/29/14 11:27pm

banishedones66
6

Stop throwin' shade! Joshua's production of Prince songs and remixes so far has been great!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/29/14 11:46pm

funkaholic1972

avatar

I agree that Josh's solo output and his remixes are not very special. And I hated FALLINLOVE2NITE, the shallowest Prince tune ever in my opinion.

-

But I do like Clouds, the mix seems to have some more punch and is fuller sounding than let's say the songs on 20Ten that are similar in style. Also the arrangement is more fleshed out. The lyrics are also slightly better (not as embarrasing) than some of the stuff from recent albums, although still far from the level of some of his 80's lyrics.

-

It is hard to say how much of these improvements can be addressed to Josh, but if it IS his influence then I think his involvement is a step in the right direction. Still, why not hire someone like Tensnake, or the guys from Oliver, or Disclosure if you want some help in the production department as far as beats and the overall sound/mix? Those are far more interesting producers who could really help Prince spice up his songs and modernize his "sound".

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/30/14 7:10am

lwr001

JOsh has great commercial instincts...LIke no new grroves have p sounding cheesy etc IMHO..The kid has talent and is a wondrful singer as well,,,

He also seems liek a genuinley humble , nice, dedictaed friend to Prince and Husband to Hannah,,,

Also, Donna husband had a music mgmt co before she signed with Prince... NOthing ata ll with taping the folhks around u with jobs

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/30/14 8:26am

Askani

avatar

funkaholic1972 said:

I agree that Josh's solo output and his remixes are not very special. And I hated FALLINLOVE2NITE, the shallowest Prince tune ever in my opinion.


-


But I do like Clouds, the mix seems to have some more punch and is fuller sounding than let's say the songs on 20Ten that are similar in style. Also the arrangement is more fleshed out. The lyrics are also slightly better (not as embarrasing) than some of the stuff from recent albums, although still far from the level of some of his 80's lyrics.


-


It is hard to say how much of these improvements can be addressed to Josh, but if it IS his influence then I think his involvement is a step in the right direction. Still, why not hire someone like Tensnake, or the guys from Oliver, or Disclosure if you want some help in the production department as far as beats and the overall sound/mix? Those are far more interesting producers who could really help Prince spice up his songs and modernize his "sound".



Why not? Because Josh is married to a chick in his band and comes cheap.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/30/14 10:27pm

fantasticjoy

avatar

jobyjayy said:

Askani said:

Don't really care one way or another.



He's had other producers with him in the past that either got (or should have gotten) a co-producer credit, who basically came in and "finished" songs for him. And in some cases put them together from some very rudimentary tapes. Notably, W&L, Levi, Ricky Peterson, Kirky J, etc.



There doesn't seem to be any different.



Speaking of Ricky Peterson, he produced and mixed The most beautiful girl in the World and it sounds amazing compared to anything Prince has recorded in last 20 plus years. Don't believe me? Go listen to it right now!

I listened and I don't believe you.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 08/31/14 3:06am

fnksoul

funkaholic1972 said:

I agree that Josh's solo output and his remixes are not very special. And I hated FALLINLOVE2NITE, the shallowest Prince tune ever in my opinion.

-

But I do like Clouds, the mix seems to have some more punch and is fuller sounding than let's say the songs on 20Ten that are similar in style. Also the arrangement is more fleshed out. The lyrics are also slightly better (not as embarrasing) than some of the stuff from recent albums, although still far from the level of some of his 80's lyrics.

-

It is hard to say how much of these improvements can be addressed to Josh, but if it IS his influence then I think his involvement is a step in the right direction. Still, why not hire someone like Tensnake, or the guys from Oliver, or Disclosure if you want some help in the production department as far as beats and the overall sound/mix? Those are far more interesting producers who could really help Prince spice up his songs and modernize his "sound".

.

.

Tensnake would be a brilliant choice, excellent producer!

.

It's clear to see Prince hevily influced Clouds, I thought maybe Josh is more there to help him lay down his ideas, unless your fully trained and up to date with Digital production its pretty hard to do some of the simplest things, so I think i see thats more Josh's input. From dabbling a little myself its very frustrating when your trying to make something sound how it does in your head at times and Id have thought Prince is the same so Josh helps in that way? (My thoughts anyway)

.

If he brought in an Established producer it takes a bit of the shine off Prince and possibly comes across more Ghost written than produced by P.

.

It might come back to the point he make on Arsenio hall's show where he said he would like to Teach in some way. Maybe Josh is his "Apprentice"? Either way there is alot of negativity towards the guy and what he's doing P must like it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 08/31/14 6:35am

funkaholic1972

avatar

fnksoul said:

funkaholic1972 said:

I agree that Josh's solo output and his remixes are not very special. And I hated FALLINLOVE2NITE, the shallowest Prince tune ever in my opinion.

-

But I do like Clouds, the mix seems to have some more punch and is fuller sounding than let's say the songs on 20Ten that are similar in style. Also the arrangement is more fleshed out. The lyrics are also slightly better (not as embarrasing) than some of the stuff from recent albums, although still far from the level of some of his 80's lyrics.

-

It is hard to say how much of these improvements can be addressed to Josh, but if it IS his influence then I think his involvement is a step in the right direction. Still, why not hire someone like Tensnake, or the guys from Oliver, or Disclosure if you want some help in the production department as far as beats and the overall sound/mix? Those are far more interesting producers who could really help Prince spice up his songs and modernize his "sound".

.

.

Tensnake would be a brilliant choice, excellent producer!

.

It's clear to see Prince hevily influced Clouds, I thought maybe Josh is more there to help him lay down his ideas, unless your fully trained and up to date with Digital production its pretty hard to do some of the simplest things, so I think i see thats more Josh's input. From dabbling a little myself its very frustrating when your trying to make something sound how it does in your head at times and Id have thought Prince is the same so Josh helps in that way? (My thoughts anyway)

.

If he brought in an Established producer it takes a bit of the shine off Prince and possibly comes across more Ghost written than produced by P.

.

It might come back to the point he make on Arsenio hall's show where he said he would like to Teach in some way. Maybe Josh is his "Apprentice"? Either way there is alot of negativity towards the guy and what he's doing P must like it.

Haha, I can totally see Prince not wanting to share credits with an established producer! What if people started to think Prince actually needs help in any way when it comes to creating music? The whole "written, performed, arranged, produced all by Prince" myth that made people call him a genius would be at stake! lol

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/31/14 7:10am

stillwaiting

Josh is great.....if Prince really needs a "Triangle" player in the band. His production on "Fallinlove2nite," whatever it actually was, can't really be considered awful, but nothing special. He seems to add nothing to Prince's sound that Prince can't already do. Prince likes having underwhelming talent around him. Maybe the 1987-88 band spooked him as there was a lot of talent there. Same with the 2002 band. When the spirit moves Prince, he surrounds himself with real talent...but Kirk Johnson as a drummer? Really? Is anybody shocked that when he left, that NOBODY in the music biz tried to sign him as a drummer?

"If U ever lose some1 dear 2 U, Never say the words they're gone....They'll come back."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/31/14 7:55am

DFUNK

Well, Im going to throw in my 20 cents.

The fact of the matter is, some of the material Prince has released in the last 12 months, has been some of his best sounding material in years. His releases with 3rd Eye Girl sound promising, and "The Breakdown" is a really beautiful song.

While it might not be obvious to all of us as to what exactly Josh Weltons imput is, lets just enjoy this resurgence that Prince is displaying. Production wise, I personally thought the 20Ten album was a real low point. It sounds cheap, demo-ish and I cringe everytime I listen to it.

In the last 12 months I have seen some real signs that Prince is refreshed and very much back on top of his game again. And if it just so happens that Josh Welton has a helping hand in this, so be it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/31/14 8:43am

fnksoul

DFUNK said:

Well, Im going to throw in my 20 cents.

The fact of the matter is, some of the material Prince has released in the last 12 months, has been some of his best sounding material in years. His releases with 3rd Eye Girl sound promising, and "The Breakdown" is a really beautiful song.

While it might not be obvious to all of us as to what exactly Josh Weltons imput is, lets just enjoy this resurgence that Prince is displaying. Production wise, I personally thought the 20Ten album was a real low point. It sounds cheap, demo-ish and I cringe everytime I listen to it.

In the last 12 months I have seen some real signs that Prince is refreshed and very much back on top of his game again. And if it just so happens that Josh Welton has a helping hand in this, so be it.

.

.

Well said, he's been lacking something for years and like you say over the past 12 months its looked up a little.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 09/22/14 8:11am

DMSR

avatar

Nice guy but amateur!

______________________________________________

onedayimgonnabesomebody
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 09/22/14 8:26am

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

mikeyaddict said:

Maybe Josh gets named as being involved and Prince gets a bit of alone time with Hannah.


cool tonk

Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 09/22/14 8:28am

3rdeyedude

avatar

so far this is the first record where I actually think I will want my money back

i bet in a year or two prince will be forced to get someone else to produce him

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Joshua Welton and Prince