independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I Cringe When I Hear Prince Use The F Word
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/03/13 11:32am

klick2me

avatar

I Cringe When I Hear Prince Use The F Word

I was listening to the Chaos and Disorder CD yesterday and heard P use the F word in 3 different songs which caused me to cringe each time. Call me a lil girl but I much rather hear his music without the cussing. I am glad he has chosen to stop including all the foul language. But I must say this; "Had U" would not be the same without the F word. Such a brilliant song and so short in length too.

klick
[Edited 6/3/13 11:33am]
klick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/03/13 11:37am

kewlschool

avatar

During this era it was a bit heavy on the cussing for me, but I wouldn't change it.

Could care less if Prince decides to cuss or not, now or in the future. His path, his journey.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/03/13 11:40am

owen

avatar

To some extent, I can understand where you're coming from, but overall,

I personally enjoy Prince's use of the F word. Mainly for the reason you pointed out with Had U.

Some songs just wouldn't be the same (or as edgy) without this naughty word.

Erotic City immediately springs to mind. As well as Superfunkycalifragisexy.

There's bound to be many many more fine examples.

Anyone else got any?

[Edited 6/3/13 11:41am]

O+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/03/13 11:43am

klick2me

avatar

owen said:

To some extent, I can understand where you're coming from, but overall,


I personally enjoy Prince's use of the F word. Mainly for the reason you pointed out with Had U.


Some songs just wouldn't be the same (or as edgy) without this naughty word.


Erotic City immediately springs to mind. As well as Superfunkycalifragisexy.


There's bound to be many many more fine examples.


Anyone else got any?

[Edited 6/3/13 11:41am]



Sexy MF

klick
klick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/03/13 11:44am

owen

avatar

I forgot Let's Pretend We're Married, which is a brilliant example, as is Sexy M.F. of course...

[Edited 6/3/13 11:44am]

O+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/03/13 11:44am

skywalker

avatar

Prince overdid it with swearing in the 90's. It seemed a bit forced...like a kneejerk reaction to what was going on in hip hop.

"New Power slide...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/03/13 11:46am

owen

avatar

My personal favourite may very well be Adore.

It's totally unnecessary, but just so so cool, the way he delivers it...

O+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/03/13 11:49am

klick2me

avatar

owen said:

My personal favourite may very well be Adore.


It's totally unnecessary, but just so so cool, the way he delivers it...




He says the F word in Adore? At what point?


Klick
klick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/03/13 11:52am

owen

avatar

"They know we need each other

They know you are my fix

I know that you know that I ain't cheatin', baby

They know this is serious
I ain't fuckin' just for kicks, no

This condition I've got is crucial, crucial, baby

You can say that I'm a terminal case

You could burn up my clothes

Smash up my ride..."

O+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/03/13 11:58am

SpiritOtter

Check out the album, Exodus...The Exodus Has Begin is a intergalactic musical forcefield to be reckoned with.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/03/13 12:01pm

owen

avatar

I know his name, that MFing prince!

O+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/03/13 12:02pm

motherfunka

avatar

klick2me said:

I was listening to the Chaos and Disorder CD yesterday and heard P use the F word in 3 different songs which caused me to cringe each time. Call me a lil girl but I much rather hear his music without the cussing. I am glad he has chosen to stop including all the foul language. But I must say this; "Had U" would not be the same without the F word. Such a brilliant song and so short in length too. klick [Edited 6/3/13 11:33am]

Give me a fucking break! confused

TRUE BLUE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/03/13 12:09pm

owen

avatar

Check this: The Exodus Has Begun was recorded on 15 May, 1994.

Look at the 2nd verse:

"Polyvinyl acetate, new power soul (mercy)

The exodus has begun

These are the names of the children of the sun

Pumpin' the love sign in the days of wild

Tearin' shit up with a vengeance and still they smile (still they smile)

Though their lives were made bitter with hard labor and no pay

These are the children that will come 2 save the day(these are the children)

The exodus has begun

Have mercy"

It's a given then he had already written LoveSign and Days Of Wild.

Also, the next lyrics sound eeirly like The Rainbow Children to me:

"Though their lives were made bitter with hard labor and no pay

These are the children that will come 2 save the day (these are the children)"

Just a thought...


[Edited 6/3/13 12:10pm]

O+>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/03/13 7:58pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

I don't mind.
Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/03/13 8:29pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

skywalker said:

Prince overdid it with swearing in the 90's. It seemed a bit forced...like a kneejerk reaction to what was going on in hip hop.

I agree totally.

I don't remember it used much in the 1980s but when he did it was just right

Let's Pretend We're Married, Erotic City

even in some outtakes like Computer Blue and Feline(rhymn) ... perfect touch

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?

#IDEFINEME
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/03/13 8:34pm

bombpop

avatar

owen said:

"They know we need each other

They know you are my fix

I know that you know that I ain't cheatin', baby

They know this is serious
I ain't fuckin' just for kicks, no

This condition I've got is crucial, crucial, baby

You can say that I'm a terminal case

You could burn up my clothes

Smash up my ride..."

"I ain't in it just for kicks"

But I really liked your song too!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/03/13 8:35pm

GuyBros

avatar

yeah... very much so my formative years, I distinctly remember "Did he just say the EFF word on the radio?" And then as an adult thinking about how subversive it was. It isn't awkward for me to hear it. Especially considering how raw and punk his act seemed at times. It's really more odd hearing him "edit" himself.

"I mean I always figured you were a trip at times, but now I'm beginning to believe you're a freaking vacation." -2elijah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/03/13 8:47pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

luv4u said:

I don't mind.


yeahthat It doesn't bother me

Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/03/13 8:49pm

theblueangel

avatar

bombpop said:


"I ain't in it just for kicks"



But I really liked your song too!



Nope, it's definitely "I ain't fuckin' just for kicks." Has been for 26 years now. smile
No confusion, no tears. No enemies, no fear. No sorrow, no pain. No ball, no chain.

Sex is not love. Love is not sex. Putting words in other people's mouths will only get you elected.

Need more sleep than coke or methamphetamine.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/03/13 9:29pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

theblueangel said:

bombpop said:

"I ain't in it just for kicks"

But I really liked your song too!

Nope, it's definitely "I ain't fuckin' just for kicks." Has been for 26 years now. smile



Acording to the lyrics printed in the CD booklet its "This ain't just 4 kicks, no"
Has been for 26 years now.. Just saying razz

Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/03/13 9:31pm

udo

avatar

klick2me said:

I was listening to the Chaos and Disorder CD yesterday and heard P use the F word in 3 different songs which caused me to cringe each time. Call me a lil girl but I much rather hear his music without the cussing. I am glad he has chosen to stop including all the foul language. But I must say this; "Had U" would not be the same without the F word. Such a brilliant song and so short in length too. klick [Edited 6/3/13 11:33am]

F******ing is nothing unnatural.

Rather not hearing the word is a matter of personal taste and perhaps having another language as mothertongue.

His policy of changing his own lyrics around because fo whatever is a sin: why can't we see the use of words as art, as fitting in a description of a situation, etc and thus understand that changing the words around changes the song.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/03/13 10:13pm

PlusSign

udo said:

klick2me said:

I was listening to the Chaos and Disorder CD yesterday and heard P use the F word in 3 different songs which caused me to cringe each time. Call me a lil girl but I much rather hear his music without the cussing. I am glad he has chosen to stop including all the foul language. But I must say this; "Had U" would not be the same without the F word. Such a brilliant song and so short in length too. klick [Edited 6/3/13 11:33am]

F******ing is nothing unnatural.

Rather not hearing the word is a matter of personal taste and perhaps having another language as mothertongue.

His policy of changing his own lyrics around because fo whatever is a sin: why can't we see the use of words as art, as fitting in a description of a situation, etc and thus understand that changing the words around changes the song.

It can sound unnatural in an artistic sense though. I agree with klick2me that the use of the word really adds something to "Had U". The whole premise of that song, musically and lyrically is to give an ambiguous and seemingly contradictory tenderness to something overtly profane and possessive. A brilliant song all round.

On the other hand, the break where he says "I would only F with one" in the title track sounds completely contrived. Only a purtian could consider a word in itself as offensive, but the gratuitous use of language for shock value can be an artistic vulgarity. It just sounds completely out of context in Chaos and Disorder, and unfortunately it seems that's the intention. The song is a great, straightforward rocker that is diminshed by that section which only sticks in the mind for being a cheap gimmick.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/03/13 10:20pm

TweetyV6

avatar

klick2me said:

I was listening to the Chaos and Disorder CD yesterday and heard P use the F word in 3 different songs which caused me to cringe each time. Call me a lil girl but I much rather hear his music without the cussing. I am glad he has chosen to stop including all the foul language. But I must say this; "Had U" would not be the same without the F word. Such a brilliant song and so short in length too. klick [Edited 6/3/13 11:33am]

I miss it.

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/04/13 12:44am

sfinky1

avatar

Really?
I cringe MUCH harder when I hear him use the J word. You know... 'Jehovah'
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/04/13 3:07am

SuperSoulFight
er

skywalker said:

Prince overdid it with swearing in the 90's. It seemed a bit forced...like a kneejerk reaction to what was going on in hip hop.


True! It worked on some of the nasty songs. Days of Wild without the "F" word sounds lame. On the other hand, a gem like Count the Days is ruined by it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/04/13 6:56am

klick2me

avatar

PlusSign said:



udo said:




klick2me said:


I was listening to the Chaos and Disorder CD yesterday and heard P use the F word in 3 different songs which caused me to cringe each time. Call me a lil girl but I much rather hear his music without the cussing. I am glad he has chosen to stop including all the foul language. But I must say this; "Had U" would not be the same without the F word. Such a brilliant song and so short in length too. klick [Edited 6/3/13 11:33am]


F*****ing is nothing unnatural.


Rather not hearing the word is a matter of personal taste and perhaps having another language as mothertongue.


His policy of changing his own lyrics around because fo whatever is a sin: why can't we see the use of words as art, as fitting in a description of a situation, etc and thus understand that changing the words around changes the song.




It can sound unnatural in an artistic sense though. I agree with klick2me that the use of the word really adds something to "Had U". The whole premise of that song, musically and lyrically is to give an ambiguous and seemingly contradictory tenderness to something overtly profane and possessive. A brilliant song all round.



On the other hand, the break where he says "I would only F with one" in the title track sounds completely contrived. Only a purtian could consider a word in itself as offensive, but the gratuitous use of language for shock value can be an artistic vulgarity. It just sounds completely out of context in Chaos and Disorder, and unfortunately it seems that's the intention. The song is a great, straightforward rocker that is diminshed by that section which only sticks in the mind for being a cheap gimmick.




Well said.

klick
klick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/04/13 7:14am

Empress

FragileUndertow said:

luv4u said:

I don't mind.


yeahthat It doesn't bother me

Nor me. Not in the least. It was Prince.

Now when I hear him say lyrics like "what the duck" and "23 scriptures in a one night stand", I cringe. It sounds so phony.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/04/13 7:35am

Shyra

I never noticed the cuss words, probably because I didn't understand what he was saying anyway. shrug

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/04/13 7:41am

excited

avatar

i like to hear him effing & jeffing, all blokey like

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/04/13 7:42am

GuyBros

avatar

Empress said:

FragileUndertow said:


yeahthat It doesn't bother me

Nor me. Not in the least. It was Prince.

Now when I hear him say lyrics like "what the duck" and "23 scriptures in a one night stand", I cringe. It sounds so phony different.

"I mean I always figured you were a trip at times, but now I'm beginning to believe you're a freaking vacation." -2elijah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I Cringe When I Hear Prince Use The F Word