independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 16th Oct 2019 10:10pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Nikka Costa - Around The World
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/08/19 11:37am

JorisE73

Nikka Costa - Around The World

So I just popped in Nikka Costa's 2005 CD Can'tneverdidnothin' and I was looking on Princevault for info on the song Around The World that Prince plays guitar on, but I see there was a earlier edition of this album from 2004 with a longer version of Around The World on it.

The 2004 version seems to be 5:41 and the 2005 version is 5:22.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two versions?
And does anyone have the 2004 album or know if it's for sale somewhere?


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/13/19 6:36am

databank

avatar

JorisE73 said:

So I just popped in Nikka Costa's 2005 CD Can'tneverdidnothin' and I was looking on Princevault for info on the song Around The World that Prince plays guitar on, but I see there was a earlier edition of this album from 2004 with a longer version of Around The World on it.

The 2004 version seems to be 5:41 and the 2005 version is 5:22.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two versions?
And does anyone have the 2004 album or know if it's for sale somewhere?


Unfortunately I could never put my hands on that one sad

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/14/19 12:44am

JorisE73

I've never even seen one for sale only the official 2005 version and the 2005 club version with the 2004 backcover with the different tracklist but comes with the 2005 CD.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/23/19 9:49am

sexton

avatar

I used to have a copy of the advance edition of Can'tneverdidnothin'. I ripped it before selling all my Nikka Costa CDs on eBay a few years ago.

Listening to both versions of "Around The World", the one on the official release appears to be an edit of the one on the advance edition. They are identical until around the 3:40 mark where the shorter version is in more of a rush to wrap up the breakdown and bring all the instruments back in compared to the advance copy version which takes its time. Both versions get back in sync so that the last 45 seconds are identical.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/24/19 3:44am

JorisE73

sexton said:

I used to have a copy of the advance edition of Can'tneverdidnothin'. I ripped it before selling all my Nikka Costa CDs on eBay a few years ago.

Listening to both versions of "Around The World", the one on the official release appears to be an edit of the one on the advance edition. They are identical until around the 3:40 mark where the shorter version is in more of a rush to wrap up the breakdown and bring all the instruments back in compared to the advance copy version which takes its time. Both versions get back in sync so that the last 45 seconds are identical.


Thanks for that info!
That was exactly what I was looking for!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/26/19 8:26pm

TheTruth123

I have wanted to say this to SO many posters...

Please, PLEASE...

Never start a sentence with a preposition.

I remember when people started to begin their sentences with the word, “So...” At first it was health care professionals, and they were trying to sound intellectual - but the opposite affect was achieved.

Nothing personal.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/29/19 4:36am

minnesoundlvr

TheTruth123 said:

I have wanted to say this to SO many posters... Please, PLEASE... Never start a sentence with a preposition. I remember when people started to begin their sentences with the word, “So...” At first it was health care professionals, and they were trying to sound intellectual - but the opposite affect was achieved. Nothing personal.

The word "so" is not a preposition. "It can act as an adverb, a conjunction, a pronoun, an adjective, or an interjection depending on the context."

http://partofspeech.org/what-part-of-speech-is-so/

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Nikka Costa - Around The World