independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 24th Jan 2020 6:56am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > New Memoir Out April 16 by Longtime Prince Hairstylist Kim Berry...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 14 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 03/15/19 1:49pm

poppys

giphy.gif

[Edited 3/16/19 11:01am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 03/15/19 2:16pm

kidmelody2012

he profited off us so whats wrong now?

oceanblue said:

Why does it irk me that some are using him as a way to profit, now that he's dead?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 03/15/19 2:36pm

oceanblue

kidmelody2012 said:

he profited off us so whats wrong now?

oceanblue said:

Why does it irk me that some are using him as a way to profit, now that he's dead?

Nothing's wrong now, and he gave us beautiful music and entertainment, and a choice to buy his music, attend his concerts, etc, he didn't just profit off of us, he didn't force you to buy his music, pay money to attend his concerts, etc, it was all your choice if you did, just like it's your choice to buy the hairdresser's book if you want to. There are some that choose not to buy the book as well, and perhaps don't see or understand the reason for writing it, and that's perfectly fine as well! You are allowed to question things in life, and disagree on things you know, without being attacked for it, like most do today, for every little thing!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 03/15/19 2:46pm

kidmelody2012

I aint giving Londell Mcmillan my hard earned money.i get my stuff free on the Dark Web!

oceanblue said:

kidmelody2012 said:

he profited off us so whats wrong now?

Nothing's wrong now, and he gave us beautiful music and entertainment, and a choice to buy his music, attend his concerts, etc, he didn't just profit off of us, he didn't force you to buy his music, pay money to attend his concerts, etc, it was all your choice if you did, just like it's your choice to buy the hairdresser's book if you want to. There are some that choose not to buy the book as well, and perhaps don't see or understand the reason for writing it, and that's perfectly fine as well! You are allowed to question things in life, and disagree on things you know, without being attacked for it, like most do today, for every little thing!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 03/15/19 2:46pm

oceanblue

poppys said:

oceanblue said:


No, I've never seen ANY Barbershop movies, why ask these kind of questions? Damn. lol


Why diss the thread??? Reasons please.

No one is dissing the thread! People are allowed to voice their opinions, and if they happen to differ from yours, that's allowed as well, you know. Just because some say that they don't understand the reasoning for a book written by his ex-hairdresser, or choose not to buy it and say so, shouldn't have to explain why or defend it, it's just their opinion! Buy it or don't buy it, your choice, but allow others to express however they feel without being attacked for it! No one owes anyone an explanation for their stated opinion!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 03/15/19 3:00pm

poppys

giphy.gif

[Edited 3/16/19 11:06am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 03/15/19 4:04pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

poppys said:

You're from Ireland, right? I guess you don't get the hair thing. comfort

Cheers to Kim Berry's memoir from those who are interested!



What? I have hair!! Look to the left, you can see it in all its golden glory.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 03/15/19 4:17pm

onlyforaminute

Definitely will be buying it. Will be opinionated after I've read it.
Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.

-Ralph Ellison
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 03/15/19 4:49pm

oceanblue

poppys said:

Um, you don't understand the reason for a book you've never read. Ok.

This is sooo familiar so I will be ghosting now.

Um, what I don't understand is what a hairdresser can write about Prince, other than styling his hair, and how that would could possibly turn into a whole book on him? I don't know, maybe some Prince fans might find that interesting, but I don't. I mean, unless Prince poured out his inner most secrets and revealed stuff to her that we don't already know of, I just don't have any interest for it.

[Edited 3/15/19 16:50pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 03/15/19 5:59pm

Lovejunky

avatar

oceanblue said:

poppys said:

Um, you don't understand the reason for a book you've never read. Ok.

This is sooo familiar so I will be ghosting now.

Um, what I don't understand is what a hairdresser can write about Prince, other than styling his hair, and how that would could possibly turn into a whole book on him? I don't know, maybe some Prince fans might find that interesting, but I don't. I mean, unless Prince poured out his inner most secrets and revealed stuff to her that we don't already know of, I just don't have any interest for it.

[Edited 3/15/19 16:50pm]

Honestly ?

You people just dont think a thing through do you...?

20+ years styling his hair..

During ALL that time she would have most likely witnessed all kinds of interactions between Prince and his people, had all kinds of interesting conversations and observed his many different moods..

She will have a lot to share...

I cant wait...

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 03/15/19 10:08pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

My hairdresser is able to ask me personal questions, and I voluntarily give up the answers that I normally would not answer with any one else. Hairdressers have an innate tact for this.

Although I dont agree with all things Kim, I think she may have some tea....

I am sitting back to await the tea to see if it is enough to buy the book.

Either way Kim has to know she is going to be racked throught he coals by P fans.

pimp2

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 03/15/19 10:18pm

Mumio

avatar

It's a pass for me. I don't trust her information due to several things but especially given what's gone on with her in the last few months.

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 03/16/19 9:16am

oceanblue

Lovejunky said:

oceanblue said:

Um, what I don't understand is what a hairdresser can write about Prince, other than styling his hair, and how that would could possibly turn into a whole book on him? I don't know, maybe some Prince fans might find that interesting, but I don't. I mean, unless Prince poured out his inner most secrets and revealed stuff to her that we don't already know of, I just don't have any interest for it.

[Edited 3/15/19 16:50pm]

Honestly ?

You people just dont think a thing through do you...?

20+ years styling his hair..

During ALL that time she would have most likely witnessed all kinds of interactions between Prince and his people, had all kinds of interesting conversations and observed his many different moods..

She will have a lot to share...

I cant wait...

Do you "think a thing through" do you? What makes you think that as private and guarded as man that Prince was, that he would reveal his private life and business matters with his people, in front of his hair stylist, trusting her enough not to go to the media or blab to anyone else? Come on!!! Prince had his privacy game on lock, and was fiercly protective of it, so why would he disregard any of that and reveal his deep dark secrets to a hair stylist, and expose all of his doings in front of her? There are still many people out there that this man worked with for years, who were a part of his inner circle, that still abide by his privacy rules, and won't even talk about what went on in private between them, to this very day, so why should I think that a hair dresser will reveal something that will shock us all about him, that the world doesn't know? rolleyes

[Edited 3/16/19 9:18am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 03/16/19 10:56am

nayroo2002

avatar

So, noone replying to this thread has ever gotten their hair cut and had conversations with their barber?

lol

"Whatever skin Ur in
we all need 2 b friends"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 03/16/19 11:32am

oceanblue

nayroo2002 said:

So, noone replying to this thread has ever gotten their hair cut and had conversations with their barber?

lol

I've been to my hairdresser more times than I can count, and of course I've had conversations with her about many things, but I've never gotten deeply personal about my life, and revealed to her and others in the shop, intimate details about my life......why would I do that?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 03/16/19 11:47am

purplefam99

The beauty shop and the barber shop in the black community was historically
A place of news, gossip and hangout. I’m not sure how prince ran it
But I’m sure there had to be an air of “ who shot John” going on.
So with in mind I’m betting if she was around in the gangster glam days that there
Is a fair amount of things she would have to share. That era was ripe
For barbershop antics.
[Edited 3/16/19 11:47am]
[Edited 3/16/19 11:48am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 03/16/19 12:27pm

pinkcashmere23

Strawberrylova123 said:

I've spoken to two people who have an advanced copy and they both said its a must read and captivating

Interesting! I've enjoyed the stories she has shared so far at her live events.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 03/16/19 12:47pm

cantstop

I’ll check it out. I’m not a fan of everyone and their dick trying to make money off Prince, but she was with him a long time. A lot to be said I’m sure. Whether it should be? Ummm...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 03/16/19 1:43pm

PliablyPurple

As much as P cared about his hair, this is like getting a book from Dean Martin's personal bartender. And hey, when our peeps die, we celebrate them differently. E'rybody gonna do it their way. I wouldn't personally accuse someone this close to Prince as someone who is cashing in. If this was a book from a delivery driver who dropped off lettuce once a week, I'd agree. But, this ain't that. Come with it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 03/16/19 4:18pm

AnnaStesia10

avatar

I am interested and will be buying. Kimwas his hair stylist for decades. She has things to say and I will read them
"A strong spirit transcends rules." - Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 03/16/19 4:30pm

onlyforaminute

PliablyPurple said:

As much as P cared about his hair, this is like getting a book from Dean Martin's personal bartender. And hey, when our peeps die, we celebrate them differently. E'rybody gonna do it their way. I wouldn't personally accuse someone this close to Prince as someone who is cashing in. If this was a book from a delivery driver who dropped off lettuce once a week, I'd agree. But, this ain't that. Come with it.




lol lettuce once a week.
Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.

-Ralph Ellison
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 03/16/19 5:18pm

Lovejunky

avatar

oceanblue said:

Lovejunky said:

Honestly ?

You people just dont think a thing through do you...?

20+ years styling his hair..

During ALL that time she would have most likely witnessed all kinds of interactions between Prince and his people, had all kinds of interesting conversations and observed his many different moods..

She will have a lot to share...

I cant wait...

Do you "think a thing through" do you? What makes you think that as private and guarded as man that Prince was, that he would reveal his private life and business matters with his people, in front of his hair stylist, trusting her enough not to go to the media or blab to anyone else? Come on!!! Prince had his privacy game on lock, and was fiercly protective of it, so why would he disregard any of that and reveal his deep dark secrets to a hair stylist, and expose all of his doings in front of her? There are still many people out there that this man worked with for years, who were a part of his inner circle, that still abide by his privacy rules, and won't even talk about what went on in private between them, to this very day, so why should I think that a hair dresser will reveal something that will shock us all about him, that the world doesn't know? rolleyes

[Edited 3/16/19 9:18am]

Who said anything about Private or business matters ?

YOU DiD...not Me...

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 03/16/19 5:34pm

oceanblue

Lovejunky said:

oceanblue said:

Do you "think a thing through" do you? What makes you think that as private and guarded as man that Prince was, that he would reveal his private life and business matters with his people, in front of his hair stylist, trusting her enough not to go to the media or blab to anyone else? Come on!!! Prince had his privacy game on lock, and was fiercly protective of it, so why would he disregard any of that and reveal his deep dark secrets to a hair stylist, and expose all of his doings in front of her? There are still many people out there that this man worked with for years, who were a part of his inner circle, that still abide by his privacy rules, and won't even talk about what went on in private between them, to this very day, so why should I think that a hair dresser will reveal something that will shock us all about him, that the world doesn't know? rolleyes

[Edited 3/16/19 9:18am]

Who said anything about Private or business matters ?

YOU DiD...not Me...

Then what's left to know or talk about from his stylist, that could create and fill a book.....how many times she shampooed his hair, cut it, curled it, whether he had dandruff, was going bald, wore a weave, etc etc etc?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 03/16/19 5:39pm

pinkcashmere23

oceanblue said:

Lovejunky said:

Who said anything about Private or business matters ?

YOU DiD...not Me...

Then what's left to know or talk about from his stylist, that could create and fill a book.....how many times she shampooed his hair, cut it, curled it, whether he had dandruff, was going bald, wore a weave, etc etc etc?

From what she has said during her talks,I assume it will be mostly stories like she has been sharing during those. She has said she is saving some for the book.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 03/16/19 5:40pm

poppys

giphy.gif

[Edited 3/17/19 6:11am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 03/16/19 6:17pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Image result for beauty shop movie 2005 gif

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 03/17/19 12:50am

Lovejunky

avatar

pinkcashmere23 said:



oceanblue said:




Lovejunky said:



Who said anything about Private or business matters ?


YOU DiD...not Me...



Then what's left to know or talk about from his stylist, that could create and fill a book.....how many times she shampooed his hair, cut it, curled it, whether he had dandruff, was going bald, wore a weave, etc etc etc?



From what she has said during her talks,I assume it will be mostly stories like she has been sharing during those. She has said she is saving some for the book.


Yep....and I love all the ztories from people he hung with...bring it
“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 03/17/19 1:56am

TheTruth123

oceanblue said:



Lovejunky said:




oceanblue said:



Um, what I don't understand is what a hairdresser can write about Prince, other than styling his hair, and how that would could possibly turn into a whole book on him? I don't know, maybe some Prince fans might find that interesting, but I don't. I mean, unless Prince poured out his inner most secrets and revealed stuff to her that we don't already know of, I just don't have any interest for it.


[Edited 3/15/19 16:50pm]



Honestly ?


You people just dont think a thing through do you...?


20+ years styling his hair..


During ALL that time she would have most likely witnessed all kinds of interactions between Prince and his people, had all kinds of interesting conversations and observed his many different moods..


She will have a lot to share...


I cant wait...




Do you "think a thing through" do you? What makes you think that as private and guarded as man that Prince was, that he would reveal his private life and business matters with his people, in front of his hair stylist, trusting her enough not to go to the media or blab to anyone else? Come on!!! Prince had his privacy game on lock, and was fiercly protective of it, so why would he disregard any of that and reveal his deep dark secrets to a hair stylist, and expose all of his doings in front of her? There are still many people out there that this man worked with for years, who were a part of his inner circle, that still abide by his privacy rules, and won't even talk about what went on in private between them, to this very day, so why should I think that a hair dresser will reveal something that will shock us all about him, that the world doesn't know? rolleyes

[Edited 3/16/19 9:18am]



She said he “most likely witnessed all kinds of interactions between Prince and his people.”
And your response contradicts yourself that she wouldn’t know anything but then she would. ????
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 03/17/19 2:02am

TheTruth123

Strawberrylova123 said:

I've spoken to two people who have an advanced copy and they both said its a must read and captivating

Sounds interesting! Let’s hope Kim comes through! I need to hear some new things.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 03/17/19 8:47am

deerpath

I am looking forward to this book, though the shipping seems high. $22 for a hard copy and $10 to ship in the US. $3.99 for shipping and handling is the norm. I'll wait a while to hear what everyone thinks, but her radio interviews shortly after Prince's death were warm and loving. And funny! Wasn't she the one with him for the longest time in his life? We've read where for so many celebrities, life is anything but normal. Prince was estranged from his family and he didn't keep many close to him. Not even his wives. Who was there? Kim Berry fixing his hair that added so much to his mystique.The story of their friendship sounds like a good read.

The website mentions there will be an ebook too but I didn't see a price or release dte for that format.

"Hold on to your souls y'all. We got a long way to go. Thank you! We love y'all!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 14 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > New Memoir Out April 16 by Longtime Prince Hairstylist Kim Berry...