independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 12th Dec 2019 8:01am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > article about Revolution concert--the writer was rude, the Revolution were cool.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/25/17 8:14pm

purplerabbitho
le

article about Revolution concert--the writer was rude, the Revolution were cool.

the Variety article about the latest L.A revolution show was a little irksome. NOw, the Revolution members were awesome, respectful and obviously interested in balance.

The article writer however didn't seem to remember who the tribute was for. First he states that the Revolution must have felt some kind of liberation to be able to play the licks without the taskmaster cracking the whip. Very rude. FOr one thing, any one of these musicians would have preferred that Prince was alive cracking that whip and leading their band. This is why they tried to reunite with him while he was alive. (also, he didn't stop them from just reuniting without him while he was alive--if they had, they could have just worn the overalls and casual clothes he referred to) That one dimensional depiction of Prince as merely a dictator [with some talent] and not also an inspiration and an amusing, funny and immensely charismatic man...ugh.. (not to mention the fact that the much more seasoned revolution members wouldn't need the same amount of strict disciplining. He trained them well in a way already--like Mark Brown saying it was like riding a bike.)

secondly, he said Wendy could easily replace him as the guitar god on stage. No doubt the woman can hold her own. No doubt she pulled off the guitar solos with flair and profiency (no doubt she was ten times better than Bruno Mars) But a guitar god like Prince can not be replaced (even Wendy would admit that) . Unless Wendy did a ten minute solo at the end of the Purple Rain, he can't be replaced. It is the little extra (the surprises) that made prince great as a performer and a guitarist.

link...

http://variety.com/2017/f...202477951/

I am waiting for people to say I am being overly sensitive about this.

[

[Edited 6/25/17 21:10pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/25/17 9:52pm

pricetag

I think the writer was just being kind to the band, and getting into the spirit of the thing. I was there. It was just ok. Despite getting on a bit, there was still a lot of movement from the band (maybe too much from Susanna and, of course, too little from Lisa) but it is what it is. "Princess" came on to the stage (twice) so that tells you what kind of level we were on. The whole thing reeked "cover band" (which, of course, is ironic). Still, it's a catharsis for everyone, and I think that's where the writer was coming from.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/26/17 7:48am

laurarichardso
n

purplerabbithole said:

the Variety article about the latest L.A revolution show was a little irksome. NOw, the Revolution members were awesome, respectful and obviously interested in balance.

The article writer however didn't seem to remember who the tribute was for. First he states that the Revolution must have felt some kind of liberation to be able to play the licks without the taskmaster cracking the whip. Very rude. FOr one thing, any one of these musicians would have preferred that Prince was alive cracking that whip and leading their band. This is why they tried to reunite with him while he was alive. (also, he didn't stop them from just reuniting without him while he was alive--if they had, they could have just worn the overalls and casual clothes he referred to) That one dimensional depiction of Prince as merely a dictator [with some talent] and not also an inspiration and an amusing, funny and immensely charismatic man...ugh.. (not to mention the fact that the much more seasoned revolution members wouldn't need the same amount of strict disciplining. He trained them well in a way already--like Mark Brown saying it was like riding a bike.)

secondly, he said Wendy could easily replace him as the guitar god on stage. No doubt the woman can hold her own. No doubt she pulled off the guitar solos with flair and profiency (no doubt she was ten times better than Bruno Mars) But a guitar god like Prince can not be replaced (even Wendy would admit that) . Unless Wendy did a ten minute solo at the end of the Purple Rain, he can't be replaced. It is the little extra (the surprises) that made prince great as a performer and a guitarist.

link...

http://variety.com/2017/f...202477951/

I am waiting for people to say I am being overly sensitive about this.

[

[Edited 6/25/17 21:10pm]

taskmaster cracking the whip.

This is the mindset of yonger people today. Sometimes you need a taskmaster to crack the whip and many people who worked for Prince said it made them better musicians. He was not a mediore artist and that attitude rules that you do not have to do your best rules the world today.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/26/17 8:21am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

LOL What article are you reading? I just read it. The writer was far from rude. You're nitpicking. Stop it, and move on.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/26/17 9:00am

purplerabbitho
le

Liberated folks usually don't want to reunite with their oppressors..

How is it not rude to say that the Revolution no doubt felt "liberated" that Prince wasn't around as their leader. He wasn't around because he was dead. He used the word "dictator" to also describe him. He might have been a dictator but he wasn't just a dictator. For better or for worse, the Revolution wanted to reunite with his 30 years after the fact and many of them were periodically workign with him and in contact with him before he died. I imagine their relationshiop was a bit more complicated than just dictator/victim.

I know you older fans are jaded about Prince because of all his issues while he was alive (his asshole side being on full display and scrutinized on older threads...I was reading one today about the fdeluxe, Time debacles) , but generally speaking when someone writes about a tribute to a deceased bandleader, they find something nice to say about the man. The writer editorializing was not necessary. Let the Revolutoin speak for themelves about what they felt.."Liberated"??? I wonder if they would call themselves liberated? Doubtful or they would have avoided even asking to reunite with him when he was alive (especially since they were free at the time to tour without him.)

TrivialPursuit said:

LOL What article are you reading? I just read it. The writer was far from rude. You're nitpicking. Stop it, and move on.

[Edited 6/26/17 9:09am]

[Edited 6/26/17 9:15am]

[Edited 6/26/17 9:18am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/26/17 9:28am

laurarichardso
n

Don't worry most of us know what you mean. Who thinks calling someone a "dictator " is a compliment?

purplerabbithole said:

Liberated folks usually don't want to reunite with their oppressors..

How is it not rude to say that the Revolution no doubt felt "liberated" that Prince wasn't around as their leader. He wasn't around because he was dead. He used the word "dictator" to also describe him. He might have been a dictator but he wasn't just a dictator. For better or for worse, the Revolution wanted to reunite with his 30 years after the fact and many of them were periodically workign with him and in contact with him before he died. I imagine their relationshiop was a bit more complicated than just dictator/victim.

I know you older fans are jaded about Prince because of all his issues while he was alive (his asshole side being on full display and scrutinized on older threads...I was reading one today about the fdeluxe, Time debacles) , but generally speaking when someone writes about a tribute to a deceased bandleader, they find something nice to say about the man. The writer editorializing was not necessary. Let the Revolutoin speak for themelves about what they felt.."Liberated"??? I wonder if they would call themselves liberated? Doubtful or they would have avoided even asking to reunite with him when he was alive (especially since they were free at the time to tour without him.)

TrivialPursuit said:

LOL What article are you reading? I just read it. The writer was far from rude. You're nitpicking. Stop it, and move on.

[Edited 6/26/17 9:09am]

[Edited 6/26/17 9:15am]

[Edited 6/26/17 9:18am]

[Edited 6/26/17 10:10am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/26/17 9:57am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

If people really want to judge The Revolution's current concerts then they should go see them for themselves.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/26/17 10:43am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

laurarichardson said:

Don't worry most of us know what you mean. Who thinks calling someone a "dictator " is a compliment?


He was a dictator. He did the music his way. It was his hand signals that made the band turn around on a dime. It was his music, his vision, his concept, etc. Sometimes there was input from others, sometimes there wasn't. Ultimately, it was Prince's world, and everyone else just lived or worked in it.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/26/17 11:01am

laurarichardso
n

TrivialPursuit said:

laurarichardson said:

Don't worry most of us know what you mean. Who thinks calling someone a "dictator " is a compliment?


He was a dictator. He did the music his way. It was his hand signals that made the band turn around on a dime. It was his music, his vision, his concept, etc. Sometimes there was input from others, sometimes there wasn't. Ultimately, it was Prince's world, and everyone else just lived or worked in it.

Because he was the boss the one signing the checks and sometimes I think they all still have an attitude about that fact. Do you go around calling your boss a ditactor? Because if you do I am sure it is not meant as a compliment.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/26/17 11:29am

purplerabbitho
le

Not disagreeing entirely. I am just saying that the tone was disrespectful IMO. If they wanted to reunite with Prince while he was alive they were okay with that dictatorship (or a a lack of a better word). I don't know it just seems a person's death shouldnt be written about like its almost a cause for celebration.

TrivialPursuit said:

laurarichardson said:

Don't worry most of us know what you mean. Who thinks calling someone a "dictator " is a compliment?


He was a dictator. He did the music his way. It was his hand signals that made the band turn around on a dime. It was his music, his vision, his concept, etc. Sometimes there was input from others, sometimes there wasn't. Ultimately, it was Prince's world, and everyone else just lived or worked in it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/26/17 11:30am

purplerabbitho
le

They didn't call him a dictator. The writer did.

The writer assumed that they felt liberated...(his word). They said nothing of the sort.

laurarichardson said:

TrivialPursuit said:


He was a dictator. He did the music his way. It was his hand signals that made the band turn around on a dime. It was his music, his vision, his concept, etc. Sometimes there was input from others, sometimes there wasn't. Ultimately, it was Prince's world, and everyone else just lived or worked in it.

Because he was the boss the one signing the checks and sometimes I think they all still have an attitude about that fact. Do you go around calling your boss a ditactor? Because if you do I am sure it is not meant as a compliment.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/26/17 11:30am

purplerabbitho
le

off-topic. The concert (or its existance) is not being judged here at all.

purplethunder3121 said:

If people really want to judge The Revolution's current concerts then they should go see them for themselves.

[Edited 6/26/17 11:31am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/26/17 11:34am

laurarichardso
n

I am not attacking the Revlolution for those comments. I am attacking the writer however, some associates to me seem bitter at times about having had him as a boss. I think we get a lot of that from the Leeds brothers more so than anyone.

purplerabbithole said:

They didn't call him a dictator. The writer did.

The writer assumed that they felt liberated...(his word). They said nothing of the sort.

laurarichardson said:

Because he was the boss the one signing the checks and sometimes I think they all still have an attitude about that fact. Do you go around calling your boss a ditactor? Because if you do I am sure it is not meant as a compliment.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > article about Revolution concert--the writer was rude, the Revolution were cool.