independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 20th May 2019 11:47am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Original 7ven Condensate Album (Now Available!), Interview and Song Tracks Discussion
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 11 of 18 « First<789101112131415>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #300 posted 10/24/11 1:36pm

Ifsixwuz9

avatar

Genesia said:

I've previewed the thing several times on iTunes...and have absolutely no interest in purchasing it. It's just...meh. shrug

Same here. I think it's a decent album from the guys. But for me, the majority of the songs are forgettable.

[Edited 10/24/11 14:20pm]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis-
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #301 posted 10/24/11 1:51pm

Ifsixwuz9

avatar

HonestMan13 said:

funkomatic said:

^I'm quite surprised that so many Prince fans seem to tolerate such a calculated poppy approach.

It speaks to the fact that some people are hypercritical of Prince and the standards he must maintain for their approval. Take the track 'Cadillac' for example, that is by far some of the laziest shit I've ever listened to ever. [snipped]

^^^ This. All I could think about was that a number of these tracks sound like a cross between Emancipation and Musicology - minus the over the top Prince-ness of those albums.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis-
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #302 posted 10/24/11 2:32pm

HonestMan13

avatar

Ifsixwuz9 said:

HonestMan13 said:

It speaks to the fact that some people are hypercritical of Prince and the standards he must maintain for their approval. Take the track 'Cadillac' for example, that is by far some of the laziest shit I've ever listened to ever. [snipped]

^^^ This. All I could think about was that a number of these tracks sound like a cross between Emancipation and Musicology - minus the over the top Prince-ness of those albums.

I also believe a lot of the praise on this board is simply orgers wishing this CD would inspire/incite Prince to do something on his next release to top it! The songs are good but I can't see Prince responding to this release.

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #303 posted 10/24/11 2:45pm

Ifsixwuz9

avatar

HonestMan13 said:

Ifsixwuz9 said:

^^^ This. All I could think about was that a number of these tracks sound like a cross between Emancipation and Musicology - minus the over the top Prince-ness of those albums.

I also believe a lot of the praise on this board is simply orgers wishing this CD would inspire/incite Prince to do something on his next release to top it! The songs are good but I can't see Prince responding to this release.

Frankly I think it's half and half. A lot of people are really into the new album. But about half of the jubliantly positive reviews sound like spite praise. shrug I'm sorry, but if Prince put out several of those tracks (or was even credited with producing them) they would deemed pedestrian or plastic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis-
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #304 posted 10/24/11 3:05pm

SoulAlive

You guys are making some wild assumptions lol "Spite praise?" Perhaps people are enthusiastic because they actually like the album.For me,it's the best album that I have heard in years.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #305 posted 10/24/11 3:29pm

Ifsixwuz9

avatar

SoulAlive said:

You guys are making some wild assumptions lol "Spite praise?" Perhaps people are enthusiastic because they actually like the album.For me,it's the best album that I have heard in years.

Yup spite praise. And, the fact that you didn't ask for clarification speaks volumes. lol But I think you missed the part where I said it's half and half: Half are really into the album, and the other half are... well... just giddy they get the chance to take shots at P. Sorry, but I've been lurking/participating on these boards for years just like a lot of posters, and if P's fingers had been anywhere near this album, a number of those tracks would have been deemed "plastic", or forgettable, or just plain blah.

They're not wild assumptions, it's been the nature of the org for years.

But, I'm glad the guys could get a decent album out after 20 years of not working together.

.

[Edited 10/24/11 15:31pm]

[Edited 10/24/11 15:35pm]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis-
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #306 posted 10/24/11 3:45pm

SoulAlive

alexnvrmnd777 said:

SoulAlive said:

but you know what? The more I listen to "Faithful",the more I think that it should be a single.That song is brilliant!!

2 more singles? That's easy! "If I Was Yo Man" and "Faithful"!

I would have no problem with that wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #307 posted 10/24/11 3:48pm

L4OATheOrigina
l

avatar

HonestMan13 said:

Ifsixwuz9 said:

^^^ This. All I could think about was that a number of these tracks sound like a cross between Emancipation and Musicology - minus the over the top Prince-ness of those albums.

I also believe a lot of the praise on this board is simply orgers wishing this CD would inspire/incite Prince to do something on his next release to top it! The songs are good but I can't see Prince responding to this release.

i hate 2 admit it but ur right, he'll continue making songs like rich friends i'm afraid

man, he has such an amazing body of music that it's sad to see him constrict it down to the basics. he's too talented for the lineup he's doing. estelle 81
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #308 posted 10/24/11 3:50pm

L4OATheOrigina
l

avatar

Ifsixwuz9 said:

HonestMan13 said:

I also believe a lot of the praise on this board is simply orgers wishing this CD would inspire/incite Prince to do something on his next release to top it! The songs are good but I can't see Prince responding to this release.

Frankly I think it's half and half. A lot of people are really into the new album. But about half of the jubliantly positive reviews sound like spite praise. shrug I'm sorry, but if Prince put out several of those tracks (or was even credited with producing them) they would deemed pedestrian or plastic.

i can only speak for myself but let's just say prince did something like the song "sick" i would be headbang but i'm not one of those fans that say everything prince does is the greatest track in the world. i know funk and condensate is funk 20ten is NOT funk

man, he has such an amazing body of music that it's sad to see him constrict it down to the basics. he's too talented for the lineup he's doing. estelle 81
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #309 posted 10/24/11 3:58pm

alexnvrmnd777

Ifsixwuz9 said:

SoulAlive said:

You guys are making some wild assumptions lol "Spite praise?" Perhaps people are enthusiastic because they actually like the album.For me,it's the best album that I have heard in years.

Yup spite praise. And, the fact that you didn't ask for clarification speaks volumes. lol But I think you missed the part where I said it's half and half: Half are really into the album, and the other half are... well... just giddy they get the chance to take shots at P. Sorry, but I've been lurking/participating on these boards for years just like a lot of posters, and if P's fingers had been anywhere near this album, a number of those tracks would have been deemed "plastic", or forgettable, or just plain blah.

They're not wild assumptions, it's been the nature of the org for years.

But, I'm glad the guys could get a decent album out after 20 years of not working together.

.

[Edited 10/24/11 15:31pm]

[Edited 10/24/11 15:35pm]

Oh please. The other half are just glad to take shots at Prince?! C'mon, son. That's taking credit away from O7ven saying that it's not their music that's getting people fired up. Naw, people are down with the album because the music's good AND you can hear the fun those guys had in the studio. Fuck Prince. Prince's mentioned as an afterthought, MAINLY because he's the one that refused these guys a name that they ALL worked for. That and just because he put most of the band together.

If someone wants to take a shot at Prince, no one needs an O7ven album released (or fDeluxe) to take a shot at Prince. His output by itself is enough to warrant that!! We've been doing it all these years just fine without an O7ven album! lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #310 posted 10/24/11 5:01pm

LittleBLUECorv
ette

avatar

SoulAlive said:

alexnvrmnd777 said:

2 more singles? That's easy! "If I Was Yo Man" and "Faithful"!

I would have no problem with that wink

The Time with Two mid-tempo/ballads as singles from the same album? Only one, of the two as a hard jam (I'm thinkin' One Step. Cadillac or Sick.)

PRINCE: Always and Forever
MICHAEL JACKSON: Always and Forever
-----
Live Your Life How U Wanna Live It
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #311 posted 10/24/11 8:10pm

jwashin4

avatar

Zannaloaf said:

fantasticjoy said:

I wish I was feeling the new CD like everyone else. I'm just not feeling any of it at all.

You must not have liked the Time to beging with then.

Not sure how someone cannot feel any of it. It's so diverse, there's at least something for everyone -- unless you just don't like Morris' vocals.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #312 posted 10/24/11 8:12pm

jwashin4

avatar

Ifsixwuz9 said:

Genesia said:

I've previewed the thing several times on iTunes...and have absolutely no interest in purchasing it. It's just...meh. shrug

Same here. I think it's a decent album from the guys. But for me, the majority of the songs are forgettable.

[Edited 10/24/11 14:20pm]

The samples don't do the songs justice. This is an EXCELLENT album.

We are praising this work. It has nothing to do with what Prince is doing these days.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #313 posted 10/24/11 8:26pm

SABO

avatar

This album stands apart from Prince. It is a solid body of work. Good Fortune Guys!

Imaginary
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #314 posted 10/24/11 8:42pm

funksterr

SoulAlive said:

What songs would you guys pick as the singles? Let's assume that there will be two more singles after "Trendin",what would you pick?

"If I Was Yo Man" sounds like the logical second single.

I would pick "Lifestyle" as the third single.It's got a contemporary sound that will easily appeal to R&B audiences who listen to stuff like R.Kelly.

"Faithful" is going to be a hit if it goes to radio. I would choose "Hey Yo" after that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #315 posted 10/25/11 12:20am

SoulAlive

alexnvrmnd777 said:

Ifsixwuz9 said:

Yup spite praise. And, the fact that you didn't ask for clarification speaks volumes. lol But I think you missed the part where I said it's half and half: Half are really into the album, and the other half are... well... just giddy they get the chance to take shots at P. Sorry, but I've been lurking/participating on these boards for years just like a lot of posters, and if P's fingers had been anywhere near this album, a number of those tracks would have been deemed "plastic", or forgettable, or just plain blah.

They're not wild assumptions, it's been the nature of the org for years.

But, I'm glad the guys could get a decent album out after 20 years of not working together.

Oh please. The other half are just glad to take shots at Prince?! C'mon, son. That's taking credit away from O7ven saying that it's not their music that's getting people fired up. Naw, people are down with the album because the music's good AND you can hear the fun those guys had in the studio. Fuck Prince. Prince's mentioned as an afterthought, MAINLY because he's the one that refused these guys a name that they ALL worked for. That and just because he put most of the band together.

If someone wants to take a shot at Prince, no one needs an O7ven album released (or fDeluxe) to take a shot at Prince. His output by itself is enough to warrant that!! We've been doing it all these years just fine without an O7ven album! lol

I agree.I'm enjoying this album because it's an excellent album.I'm not even thinking of Prince when I listen to it lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #316 posted 10/25/11 6:09am

Ifsixwuz9

avatar

SoulAlive said:

alexnvrmnd777 said:

Oh please. The other half are just glad to take shots at Prince?! C'mon, son. That's taking credit away from O7ven saying that it's not their music that's getting people fired up. Naw, people are down with the album because the music's good AND you can hear the fun those guys had in the studio. Fuck Prince. Prince's mentioned as an afterthought, MAINLY because he's the one that refused these guys a name that they ALL worked for. That and just because he put most of the band together.

If someone wants to take a shot at Prince, no one needs an O7ven album released (or fDeluxe) to take a shot at Prince. His output by itself is enough to warrant that!! We've been doing it all these years just fine without an O7ven album! lol

I agree.I'm enjoying this album because it's an excellent album.I'm not even thinking of Prince when I listen to it lol

Regarding both of these posts. If you say so. lol But if it was just about the O7 then a number of the posts would not have taken the time to put in digs about Condesate being better than such and such albums Prince has put out in xx years. Let it be about the guys in O7. And you're right and you make my point there is a segment of people who post here to take shots at Prince no matter what.

And as far as the forced name change goes, I would think that after telling anyone who would listen over the last 25 years how they felt disrespected as artists in their own right about being viewd as just a Prince vehicle back in the day, like Vanity/Appolonia 6, etc., they would be glad to NOT use the name that automatically assoiciates them with Prince. And not even considered the idea at all. But I do find it funny that they didn't bother to go back to the original name of the group ... Flyte Time. Go full circle back to when there was no Prince involvement in their group. The only member not in the original group was Jesse if I recall. But that won't ever be discussed. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis-
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #317 posted 10/25/11 6:18am

SoulAlive

Ifsixwuz9 said:

SoulAlive said:

I agree.I'm enjoying this album because it's an excellent album.I'm not even thinking of Prince when I listen to it lol

Regarding both of these posts. If you say so. lol But if it was just about the O7 then a number of the posts would not have taken the time to put in digs about Condesate being better than such and such albums Prince has put out in xx years. Let it be about the guys in O7. And you're right and you make my point there is a segment of people who post here to take shots at Prince no matter what.

And as far as the forced name change goes, I would think that after telling anyone who would listen over the last 25 years how they felt disrespected as artists in their own right about being viewd as just a Prince vehicle back in the day, like Vanity/Appolonia 6, etc., they would be glad to NOT use the name that automatically assoiciates them with Prince. And not even considered the idea at all. But I do find it funny that they didn't bother to go back to the original name of the group ... Flyte Time. Go full circle back to when there was no Prince involvement in their group. The only member not in the original group was Jesse if I recall. But that won't ever be discussed. lol

honestly,I think much of the "Original 7ven vs.Prince" talk is because Prince created this hostile situation.If everything was "cool" with him and the guys (meaning,he allows them to keep their original name,maybe asks them to open a few concert dates,or at the very least,says something nice about their reunion and album),I bet you wouldn't see this Prince-bashing,or fans comparing their album to his recent work.It's unfortunate but like I said,Prince is the one who created alot of this negativity.It's the same situation with FDeluxe and their fans.It's an ugly,divisive situation.....putting different groups of fans against each other.



[Edited 10/25/11 6:38am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #318 posted 10/25/11 6:41am

Zannaloaf

Ifsixwuz9 said:

SoulAlive said:

I agree.I'm enjoying this album because it's an excellent album.I'm not even thinking of Prince when I listen to it lol

Regarding both of these posts. If you say so. lol But if it was just about the O7 then a number of the posts would not have taken the time to put in digs about Condesate being better than such and such albums Prince has put out in xx years. Let it be about the guys in O7. And you're right and you make my point there is a segment of people who post here to take shots at Prince no matter what.

And as far as the forced name change goes, I would think that after telling anyone who would listen over the last 25 years how they felt disrespected as artists in their own right about being viewd as just a Prince vehicle back in the day, like Vanity/Appolonia 6, etc., they would be glad to NOT use the name that automatically assoiciates them with Prince. And not even considered the idea at all. But I do find it funny that they didn't bother to go back to the original name of the group ... Flyte Time. Go full circle back to when there was no Prince involvement in their group. The only member not in the original group was Jesse if I recall. But that won't ever be discussed. lol

You sound like one of those people saying someone voted for Presidnt Obama because of white guilt. I personally like this album on it's own merits. Period. Do I jab at Prince? You bet. Prince is an A+ student musically who has gotten lazy and become a C student in his class (and he's in his own of course). These guys are the C students who busted their butts and are the A students now. I take the shots at Princes MUSICAL output when it deserves it, as well as compliment when I think that. I knocked a song or two on this album I didn't care for. Since they are pulling from the Minneapolis sound of the 80s how do you NOT do some comparing to Prince? I'm not saying whether it's better or not, just that style wise it is THAT sound on many of the songs. And they do it REALLY, REALLY well as a group of super talented musicians. Prince just released an album labeled MPLSound which pulled from this pool as well... and he botched it, imo. So many people are FEELING the Minneapolis sound in this release ...and liking it. Whether comparing to Prince or not - why does that bother you and why does it have to be deeper than they lke the music...they hear and it reminds them of the music they liked back in the day.

All my opinions just like yours.

Lets DO discuss the name thing. It's not about who dissed who- it's that Morris has been TOURING under that name with NO problem for years - like twenty something. Clearly everything was cool til they decided to get back together as the original members. Why is THAT? is the relevant question. What they decided to name themselves to go forward is no more relevant than any new band deciding on their name... imo.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #319 posted 10/25/11 6:48am

HonestMan13

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Ifsixwuz9 said:

Regarding both of these posts. If you say so. lol But if it was just about the O7 then a number of the posts would not have taken the time to put in digs about Condesate being better than such and such albums Prince has put out in xx years. Let it be about the guys in O7. And you're right and you make my point there is a segment of people who post here to take shots at Prince no matter what.

And as far as the forced name change goes, I would think that after telling anyone who would listen over the last 25 years how they felt disrespected as artists in their own right about being viewd as just a Prince vehicle back in the day, like Vanity/Appolonia 6, etc., they would be glad to NOT use the name that automatically assoiciates them with Prince. And not even considered the idea at all. But I do find it funny that they didn't bother to go back to the original name of the group ... Flyte Time. Go full circle back to when there was no Prince involvement in their group. The only member not in the original group was Jesse if I recall. But that won't ever be discussed. lol

honestly,I think much of the "Original 7ven vs.Prince" talk is because Prince created this hostile situation.If everything was "cool" with him and the guys (meaning,he allows them to keep their original name,maybe asks them to open a few concert dates,or at the very least,says something nice about their reunion and album),I bet you wouldn't see this Prince-bashing,or fans comparing their album to his recent work.It's unfortunate but like I said,Prince is the one who created alot of this negativity.It's the same situation with FDeluxe and their fans.It's an ugly,divisive situation.....putting different groups of fans against each other.



[Edited 10/25/11 6:38am]

And what's it going to change? Are any of the fans going to stop buying Prince's music because he's being an asshole? No they're not! Nobody even knows if the O7 or FDeluxe are going to continue these relaunched careers yet. Also keep in mind that the only reason anyone know these groups by any name is because of Prince. It's easy to bite the hand that fed you once it no longer feeds you what you want.

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #320 posted 10/25/11 6:55am

Ifsixwuz9

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Ifsixwuz9 said:

Regarding both of these posts. If you say so. lol But if it was just about the O7 then a number of the posts would not have taken the time to put in digs about Condesate being better than such and such albums Prince has put out in xx years. Let it be about the guys in O7. And you're right and you make my point there is a segment of people who post here to take shots at Prince no matter what.

And as far as the forced name change goes, I would think that after telling anyone who would listen over the last 25 years how they felt disrespected as artists in their own right about being viewd as just a Prince vehicle back in the day, like Vanity/Appolonia 6, etc., they would be glad to NOT use the name that automatically assoiciates them with Prince. And not even considered the idea at all. But I do find it funny that they didn't bother to go back to the original name of the group ... Flyte Time. Go full circle back to when there was no Prince involvement in their group. The only member not in the original group was Jesse if I recall. But that won't ever be discussed. lol

honestly,I think alot of the "Original 7ven vs.Prince" talk comes from the fact that Prince created this hostile situation.If everything was "cool" with him and the guys (meaning,he allows them to keep their original name and maybe asks them to open a few concert dates),I bet you wouldn't see this Prince-bashing,or comparing their album to his recent work.It's unfortunate,but like I said,Prince is the one who created alot of this negativity.It's the same situation with FDeluxe and their fans.It's an ugly,divisive situation.

[Edited 10/25/11 6:33am]

Nah, I think there would still be the "bashing" no matter what. Right or wrong a lot of fans can't get past the religion thing (and everything it that goes with it) with Prince. And I think that is the biggest reason for a lot of the current sniping at P.

I don't think the O7 guys need to be opening for Prince. They have enough of a backcatalog among the group with solo and Time stuff to be co-headlining with someone ...and not Prince unless it was a one shot deal. Now the F-deluxe folks maybe, but based on what I've read about that album I don't know if that would be a great idea either. I just envison it being like that Prince/Chaka/Larry tour where you had fans of each artist kinda not really interested in the other two. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis-
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #321 posted 10/25/11 7:06am

HonestMan13

avatar

Ifsixwuz9 said:

SoulAlive said:

honestly,I think alot of the "Original 7ven vs.Prince" talk comes from the fact that Prince created this hostile situation.If everything was "cool" with him and the guys (meaning,he allows them to keep their original name and maybe asks them to open a few concert dates),I bet you wouldn't see this Prince-bashing,or comparing their album to his recent work.It's unfortunate,but like I said,Prince is the one who created alot of this negativity.It's the same situation with FDeluxe and their fans.It's an ugly,divisive situation.

[Edited 10/25/11 6:33am]

Nah, I think there would still be the "bashing" no matter what. Right or wrong a lot of fans can't get past the religion thing (and everything it that goes with it) with Prince. And I think that is the biggest reason for a lot of the current sniping at P.

I don't think the O7 guys need to be opening for Prince. They have enough of a backcatalog among the group with solo and Time stuff to be co-headlining with someone ...and not Prince unless it was a one shot deal. Now the F-deluxe folks maybe, but based on what I've read about that album I don't know if that would be a great idea either. I just envison it being like that Prince/Chaka/Larry tour where you had fans of each artist kinda not really interested in the other two. lol

yeahthat

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #322 posted 10/25/11 7:31am

Ifsixwuz9

avatar

Zannaloaf said:

Ifsixwuz9 said:

Regarding both of these posts. If you say so. lol But if it was just about the O7 then a number of the posts would not have taken the time to put in digs about Condesate being better than such and such albums Prince has put out in xx years. Let it be about the guys in O7. And you're right and you make my point there is a segment of people who post here to take shots at Prince no matter what.

And as far as the forced name change goes, I would think that after telling anyone who would listen over the last 25 years how they felt disrespected as artists in their own right about being viewd as just a Prince vehicle back in the day, like Vanity/Appolonia 6, etc., they would be glad to NOT use the name that automatically assoiciates them with Prince. And not even considered the idea at all. But I do find it funny that they didn't bother to go back to the original name of the group ... Flyte Time. Go full circle back to when there was no Prince involvement in their group. The only member not in the original group was Jesse if I recall. But that won't ever be discussed. lol

You sound like one of those people saying someone voted for Presidnt Obama because of white guilt. I personally like this album on it's own merits. Period. Do I jab at Prince? You bet. Prince is an A+ student musically who has gotten lazy and become a C student in his class (and he's in his own of course). These guys are the C students who busted their butts and are the A students now. I take the shots at Princes MUSICAL output when it deserves it, as well as compliment when I think that. I knocked a song or two on this album I didn't care for. Since they are pulling from the Minneapolis sound of the 80s how do you NOT do some comparing to Prince? I'm not saying whether it's better or not, just that style wise it is THAT sound on many of the songs. And they do it REALLY, REALLY well as a group of super talented musicians. Prince just released an album labeled MPLSound which pulled from this pool as well... and he botched it, imo. So many people are FEELING the Minneapolis sound in this release ...and liking it. Whether comparing to Prince or not - why does that bother you and why does it have to be deeper than they lke the music...they hear and it reminds them of the music they liked back in the day.

All my opinions just like yours.

Lets DO discuss the name thing. It's not about who dissed who- it's that Morris has been TOURING under that name with NO problem for years - like twenty something. Clearly everything was cool til they decided to get back together as the original members. Why is THAT? is the relevant question. What they decided to name themselves to go forward is no more relevant than any new band deciding on their name... imo.

Uh, again I said and it seems this has hit a tender spot with some, that I think the praise is half and half. You really really like the album, ok fine. Congratulations. Bully for you.

But regarding the name change thanks for pointing out that Morris has been "TOURING" using the name "Morris Day and The Time". Good point. And of those various incarnations of that touring act at no time were all the original members of The Time in that TOURING band and at no time did that "TOURING" band put out an album of new material under the name "The Time".

Die hard fans knew that when they went to see the group they were not seeing all of the original members thus the use of the name Morris Day and The Time.

The name "The Time" is synonymous with Prince involement in writing and/or production. There is none on this album which seems to be in their favor.

Why didn't they go back to the pre-Prince name of Flyte Time again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis-
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #323 posted 10/25/11 7:45am

wonder505

Ifsixwuz9 said:

Zannaloaf said:

You sound like one of those people saying someone voted for Presidnt Obama because of white guilt. I personally like this album on it's own merits. Period. Do I jab at Prince? You bet. Prince is an A+ student musically who has gotten lazy and become a C student in his class (and he's in his own of course). These guys are the C students who busted their butts and are the A students now. I take the shots at Princes MUSICAL output when it deserves it, as well as compliment when I think that. I knocked a song or two on this album I didn't care for. Since they are pulling from the Minneapolis sound of the 80s how do you NOT do some comparing to Prince? I'm not saying whether it's better or not, just that style wise it is THAT sound on many of the songs. And they do it REALLY, REALLY well as a group of super talented musicians. Prince just released an album labeled MPLSound which pulled from this pool as well... and he botched it, imo. So many people are FEELING the Minneapolis sound in this release ...and liking it. Whether comparing to Prince or not - why does that bother you and why does it have to be deeper than they lke the music...they hear and it reminds them of the music they liked back in the day.

All my opinions just like yours.

Lets DO discuss the name thing. It's not about who dissed who- it's that Morris has been TOURING under that name with NO problem for years - like twenty something. Clearly everything was cool til they decided to get back together as the original members. Why is THAT? is the relevant question. What they decided to name themselves to go forward is no more relevant than any new band deciding on their name... imo.

Uh, again I said and it seems this has hit a tender spot with some, that I think the praise is half and half. You really really like the album, ok fine. Congratulations. Bully for you.

But regarding the name change thanks for pointing out that Morris has been "TOURING" using the name "Morris Day and The Time". Good point. And of those various incarnations of that touring act at no time were all the original members of The Time in that TOURING band and at no time did that "TOURING" band put out an album of new material under the name "The Time".

Die hard fans knew that when they went to see the group they were not seeing all of the original members thus the use of the name Morris Day and The Time.

The name "The Time" is synonymous with Prince involement in writing and/or production. There is none on this album which seems to be in their favor.

Why didn't they go back to the pre-Prince name of Flyte Time again?

I was speaking with another Orger about this. I feel that there are some missing pieces of the story. All we know is that they went to Prince and he said no he owns the name, but then the story stops there. We don't know what his reasoning was, what the rationale was, and on the Tom Joyner show interview, Jimmy Jam said they could not reach an agreement, what exactly does that mean. In the Doc Funkenberry interview, they said "business is business"....what does that mean???? lol On the documentary, when Morris brought it up for discussion, Jesse sort of turned the conversation in another direction. yeah, we can blame Prince and be mad at him and feel what he did was wrong, but somehow in my gut feeling, I feel there is more to the story and the guys are being quiet about that part....hopefully some day, we can find out the details.

[Edited 10/25/11 7:50am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #324 posted 10/25/11 7:50am

sosgemini

avatar

Fascinating. lol

Space for sale...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #325 posted 10/25/11 7:52am

ohYeeeeeah

Well well well. I so much wanted to love this CD. Yeah I had high expectations.

So ok. These guys master the Minneapolis Sound. Yes, they are damn good musicians. Talent all over the place. But sorry they are far too much on Repeat mode for me. Stuck in 1984 with a fresher sound probably but I don't hear any risk taken musically. Always the same tricks over and over again. No proper diversity. Same qualities same defects (i.e they haven't got better at writing slow tunes, uh?).

They make me feel glad Prince has moved away from this Minneapolis shit a long time ago and that he is using these old tricks sporadically. I'm glad he walked on other paths with TRC, LotusFlow3r, NEWS or the Truth.

I'm really glad some of you enjoy this CD though. That's all good for me.

I think I have just aged and I have moved on. I like more mature stuff nowadays. Even their sense of humor doesn't make it for me anymore!

I saw them live 5 times and I swear I saw the exact same show the very 5 times.

I love you Morris, Jesse and your brothers but I don't trust you anymore...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #326 posted 10/25/11 8:44am

NouveauDance

avatar

I was a bit hard on this CD after my first listen - first impressions left me really underwhelmed, but the more I listen to it, the more I find to like. It just needed time to percolate a bit with me. smile

The only track I find offensive is the truly horrible 'Hey Yo' which is one of those cringeworthy 'in the club' type tracks. Did Jam/Lewis write this for Rebecca Black feat. Lil' Whoever? Ick.

A lot of what sounded modern and "urban" on first listen is just sparse drum patterns, a lot like Release It or something. The more organic sounding drums work well, but there are still some really classic sounding Time tracks.

[Edited 10/25/11 9:33am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #327 posted 10/25/11 8:58am

donnyenglish

5 stars from me. 4 great songs, plus 5 really good ones and only 2 that I don't like. Clearly better than 20ten.

1. Toast to the Party Girl--This one is immediately one of my favorite Time songs of all time.

2. If I was your Man--Also one of my favorites. Killer drums that remind you of 777.

3. Strawberry Lake--Kinda like Ice Cream Castles mixed with 1999. On par with their early stuff also.

4. Condensate--I didn't like it at first, but it is funky. This song sounds more like the classic Time than the others.

5. Faithful--Reminds me of Gigolos.

6. GoHometoyoman--Another classic Time song kinda like if the kid can't make you come.

7. Trendin--Easy to listen to, but doesn't blow me away like the first 5.

8. Faithful--Sounds like Morris' solo slow jams. I'm liking this one also.

9. Hey Yo--I know others don't like it, but it shows that they are in tune with the modern sound. I like it.

10. AYDKMN--Jesse influenced, but nothing really remarkable. I still like it.

11. Sick--Same feeling as AYDKMN.

12. Role Play--I'm not feeling this one yet, but it may grow on me.

13. One Step--Not very good. The album drops from here.

14. Cadillac--Just a fun filler joint.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #328 posted 10/25/11 9:27am

L4OATheOrigina
l

avatar

Ifsixwuz9 said:

SoulAlive said:

I agree.I'm enjoying this album because it's an excellent album.I'm not even thinking of Prince when I listen to it lol

Regarding both of these posts. If you say so. lol But if it was just about the O7 then a number of the posts would not have taken the time to put in digs about Condesate being better than such and such albums Prince has put out in xx years. Let it be about the guys in O7. And you're right and you make my point there is a segment of people who post here to take shots at Prince no matter what.

And as far as the forced name change goes, I would think that after telling anyone who would listen over the last 25 years how they felt disrespected as artists in their own right about being viewd as just a Prince vehicle back in the day, like Vanity/Appolonia 6, etc., they would be glad to NOT use the name that automatically assoiciates them with Prince. And not even considered the idea at all. But I do find it funny that they didn't bother to go back to the original name of the group ... Flyte Time. Go full circle back to when there was no Prince involvement in their group. The only member not in the original group was Jesse if I recall. But that won't ever be discussed. lol

Prince has said many a times how fearful he was of the time and his own bandmates at times cause they could kick his ass on stage. it just didn't start with the time, cause prince got pissed at mico for getting women that he wanted and sabatoged mico a few times. but as 4 name association there is a difference between the time and say carmen electrca. now no one puts two and two 2gether when it comes 2 her name or it's barely mentioned in articles about her, but someone like the time who was in prince's biggest movie to date, there is a association instantly.

so say the comparisons from condensate 2 prince's recent material is mentioned solely cause the foundation of the rivalry has been documentented for years. no one is gonna compare sheila e to prince simply cause it was never put out there that there was a rivalry. flyte tyme used 2 battle grand central and other bands back in the days so it's the apirit of that competetion that fans are recognizing in this thread about prince's material.

man, he has such an amazing body of music that it's sad to see him constrict it down to the basics. he's too talented for the lineup he's doing. estelle 81
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #329 posted 10/25/11 9:44am

L4OATheOrigina
l

avatar

Ifsixwuz9 said:

SoulAlive said:

honestly,I think alot of the "Original 7ven vs.Prince" talk comes from the fact that Prince created this hostile situation.If everything was "cool" with him and the guys (meaning,he allows them to keep their original name and maybe asks them to open a few concert dates),I bet you wouldn't see this Prince-bashing,or comparing their album to his recent work.It's unfortunate,but like I said,Prince is the one who created alot of this negativity.It's the same situation with FDeluxe and their fans.It's an ugly,divisive situation.

[Edited 10/25/11 6:33am]

Nah, I think there would still be the "bashing" no matter what. Right or wrong a lot of fans can't get past the religion thing (and everything it that goes with it) with Prince. And I think that is the biggest reason for a lot of the current sniping at P.

I don't think the O7 guys need to be opening for Prince. They have enough of a backcatalog among the group with solo and Time stuff to be co-headlining with someone ...and not Prince unless it was a one shot deal. Now the F-deluxe folks maybe, but based on what I've read about that album I don't know if that would be a great idea either. I just envison it being like that Prince/Chaka/Larry tour where you had fans of each artist kinda not really interested in the other two. lol

u make a valid point that because of his religious stance it's put off his fans i agree with u on that. for me tho, it's about the music and if the music makes me move or not and with his last album only two songs moved me, sticky like glue and laydown and even laydown took me a long time 2 get into. we know he can do better even if it's pulling things from the vault but the fear would be him changing the lyrics 2 suit who he is today. the O7 is who they are today and it's great 2 hear them live that vibe.

man, he has such an amazing body of music that it's sad to see him constrict it down to the basics. he's too talented for the lineup he's doing. estelle 81
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 11 of 18 « First<789101112131415>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Original 7ven Condensate Album (Now Available!), Interview and Song Tracks Discussion