independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Concerts > REPORTS of the historic OFFICIAL PRINCE TRIBUTE concert
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #180 posted 10/14/16 11:09pm

GrayDorian

rogifan said:

Another not very positive review from the media. This time from Vice. https://noisey.vice.com/e...prince-day

Interesting how ordinary fan reviews here and on Facebook are mostly positive while media reviews are less so.


I don't really care what the media critics have to say about it.It exceeded my expectations.I thought it was a fitting tribute to Prince, and I'd like to think he would have loved it too.

Having said that I am disappointed by Jon Bream's somewhat negative review, perhaps because he is reputed to be such a huge fan. Even though he is a journalist that makes him one of our own IMHO. I kinda perceive us diehards to be like a family in a strange kind of way...not related by blood of course, but nevertheless somehow bound by our shared love for and long term commitment to Prince.

Prince's peers and siblings generously provided us fans with an opportunity to come together for Prince, to pay our respects,show our love and celebrate him (albeit after less than 6 months I don't much feel like partying like it's 1999).

This was a genuine and at times moving tribute to our man. I thought it was clearly performed in absolutely the right spirit with a lot of love, warmth & respect. Some things are far more important than 'star power'(whatever that means).Morris & company showed us that last night they didn't need a string of 'household names' or 'arena bona fides'to give our hero the tribute he deserves.

Give me the musicians who love, respect and performed with Prince over big name artists any day. Judith and Stevie both overcame their sorrow to produce on the night, and I have increased respect for them because I know I would never be able to do that, and he was their close friend.Stevie's love for Prince was so touching.I'm not surprised they were such good friends, as Stevie comes across as an absolute gem of a guy, just like Prince.

I thought it seemed like everyone gave their best. I couldn't care less if it wasn't super slick or lyrics were forgotten. It wasn't about sodding entertainment anyway.It was a tribute to and for Prince, by his peers & friends who love him, sharing it with his fans who love him.

I don't agree with Jon's assertion that it required a singer like Chaka to command the stage either. Right from the off I was pleasantly surprised by mint conditions brief opening. Morris and the boys did Prince proud, albeit briefly too. Personally I thought it was nice that they gave Andre several songs.It can't be easy fronting the band in Prince's place, and I thought he gave it a very good shot.Wasn't it great to hear them belting out uptown?

I thought both Shelby and Judith did a great job too.Heck, I even enjoyed Ana Moura (ok, so she forgot some of the lyrics to little red corvette, big deal)and that was in spite of a significant proportion of my fellow fans rudely talking over her moving performance of a Portuguese fado song. I'd like to enthuse about Elisa Fiorillo's rendition of SISIA, but the folks behind me were talking so loudly it was ruined for me.

Being something of an old fart, I wasn't familiar with artists like Luke James, Bilal or tori Kelly, but I thought they all gave very worthwhile contributions to the tribute too.

I agree with Jon that we are all missing Prince badly, but I think we are due Morris and friends a huge thank you for giving our man a tribute I think he would have wholeheartedly approved of. Not sure if any of them would bother to be on the org but just in case...Your abundant love for and dedication to Prince shone through in your performances. Thank you!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #181 posted 10/14/16 11:31pm

journalism16

I am so glad that those of you that attended the tribute had such a great time, and I wish I were able to see it myself. If this is done annually, maybe I will come to join all of you in time. But I do hope to also go to see Paisley Park as well, all in time.
Erin Smith
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #182 posted 10/15/16 4:09am

rogifan

Once again fascinating to read reviews from ordinary fans vs the press. We all know who the show was for and it wasn't Jon Bream.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #183 posted 10/15/16 5:05am

BillieBalloon

OperatingThetan said:

Did Tony M really perform Sexy MF as the Rolling Stone article suggests?



He did, and Gett Off. Now I'm not a Tony M fan but I'm glad they included his 91/92 era and didn't ignore it. I love that they performed Gett off and only wish there was a clip around so I could see it!
Baby, you're a star.

Meet me in another world, space and joy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #184 posted 10/15/16 12:34pm

LittleProfesso
r

BillieBalloon said:

OperatingThetan said:
Did Tony M really perform Sexy MF as the Rolling Stone article suggests?
He did, and Gett Off. Now I'm not a Tony M fan but I'm glad they included his 91/92 era and didn't ignore it. I love that they performed Gett off and only wish there was a clip around so I could see it!

I was also glad they included these. They are good pieces of music, they show of the NPG, and they were a part of Prince's life. I know some fans were complaining about it being disrespectful since Prince wasn't performing them any more, but this was a tribute to his WHOLE career.

Did anyone get video of Tyka singing? I know she's recorded herself, but I thought it was brave of her to sing in the arena - especially since she's been under so much scrutiny over the last six months. A couple of reviews identified that as "For You". I didn't recognize it as "For You", so I wanted to listen again.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #185 posted 10/15/16 12:49pm

Latin

LittleProfessor said:



BillieBalloon said:


OperatingThetan said:
Did Tony M really perform Sexy MF as the Rolling Stone article suggests?

He did, and Gett Off. Now I'm not a Tony M fan but I'm glad they included his 91/92 era and didn't ignore it. I love that they performed Gett off and only wish there was a clip around so I could see it!


I was also glad they included these. They are good pieces of music, they show of the NPG, and they were a part of Prince's life. I know some fans were complaining about it being disrespectful since Prince wasn't performing them any more, but this was a tribute to his WHOLE career.



Did anyone get video of Tyka singing? I know she's recorded herself, but I thought it was brave of her to sing in the arena - especially since she's been under so much scrutiny over the last six months. A couple of reviews identified that as "For You". I didn't recognize it as "For You", so I wanted to listen again.



Yes, it was great that this was part of the tribute concert.

It was also awesome that Doug E. Fresh performed because Prince loved him.

In fact, Prince would invite Doug E. Fresh to perform with him in different cities and countries at his concerts and aftershows.

Doug E. Fresh is also very much respected within the hip hop genre.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #186 posted 10/15/16 1:12pm

Latin

The length of the Official Tribute Concert was great. In fact, it would of been better if it would have been longer.

Everyone that performed was amazing. The skill set by Prince associated artists shined throughout the memorial tribute.

The short films of Prince performing and of him speaking that were screened throughout the concert were excellent.

The musical interludes/snippets of Prince songs performed throughout the concert by The New Power Generation such as "Billy Jack Bitch" were awesome. Apparently, these songs haven't been included in published media reports of the concert setlist.
[Edited 10/15/16 13:17pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #187 posted 10/15/16 4:02pm

UCantHavaDaMan
go

avatar

Hi again, friends! As promised, here is the "Purple Rain" finale, with Prince's vocals leading the way, and the band playing along. Shelby told me that there was no one else who could sing this, and that Mr. Hayes chose this particular live recording. I think he made a great choice! I was surprised to read that many people didn't see this on the live stream. Feel free to share it with other fans! It was a beautiful moment, and very moving to see his family take the stage. I apologize, my camera ran out of memory just as Prince was saying "I love you" at the end, but you all know that he does. smile

[Edited 10/17/16 9:23am]

Wanna hear me sing? biggrin www.ChampagneHoneybee.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #188 posted 10/15/16 5:53pm

incognito

The Prince Tribute Concert was amazing. It Started a little after 7:30 pm to 12:15 a.m.

So many great Prince songs were performed. Andre Cymone was so cool. My favorite song he sang was "The Ladder." I closed my eyes and only saw Prince, because he knew, I loved him with a passion uncontested.

I started to cry when Mayte danced to "7" which opened with Prince's voice, before one of the backing vocalist stepped up to sing the lyrics.

Of course, as Morris Hayes said, there are too many hits and don't complain because we're not playing "Let's Work."

"Let's Work" is my favorite Prince song. No song before or after that release has taken its place in my heart. I listened to this song every day during my freshman year of high school while getting ready for P.E. It will always represent innocence, happiness, and sunshine. Of course, I didn't know Prince was singing about sex. I thought he was talking about dancing. In 1981, teens were not as knowledgeable about the subject as today's freshmen.

Luke James rocked "Do Me, Baby." Thank you.

As the band pause after performing "1999", I told my friend, If they play "Purple Rain," the band needs to play along to Prince singing the song. And when it happened as a said it, I started to cry again. Just hearing Prince's voice and not seeing him on that stage hurt my heart.

The next day at the Paisley Park tour (that's a different post, because I am writing serious suggestions to correct some things said and shown during the walk through), I told Tyka Nelson, "Thank you for sing 'For You.' It's the one song I never heard him perform." And she thanked me back.

Prince shared his life with us.

Morris Hayes hinted at another tribute. It should happen. Like Prince said, "It ain't over."

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #189 posted 10/15/16 6:16pm

paradise000

avatar

biggrin

Thanks to everyone for sharing the Tribute with all of us who couldn't attend. I really appreciate it and enjoyed all the reviews and footage on periscope afterwards!

hug
'cause you got to know...how I feel about you babe
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #190 posted 10/15/16 10:07pm

Latin

Liv Warfield, Elisa Fiorillo and Shelby J. demonstrated to everyone at the Official Prince Tribute what powerful vocalists they truly are.

It's no wonder Prince loved them.

At the first concert organized by Prince's family held at The Muse, Liv was absolutely amazing as she sang "Adore".

Many fams present were in tears as she sang this beautiful song.

Shelby J. was perfect when she sang the funky "Erotic City" at the Official Prince Tribute. Her vocals on this cut were extraordinary.

Elisa's performance of "Sometimes it Snows in April" at the Official Prince Tribute was one of the highlights of the concert. It must have been difficult for her to sing that song as she held on to the necklace Prince gave her when she began her career and he wrote and produced songs for her debut album.

Liv Warfield was truly funky as she belted out "Hot Thing" at the Official Prince Tribute.

Shelby J. and Liv Warfield literally got the fams jumping at the third concert held by Prince's family at The Muse.

It's also important to recognize how humble Shelby J., Elisa and Liv have been since Prince passed away.

As Shelby often says it's about "Love 4 One Another".

Their homage to Prince has been truly heartfelt.
[Edited 10/15/16 22:39pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #191 posted 10/16/16 1:22am

wisdom7

Is there a video anywhere of Judith Hill singing The Cross? I've searched and can't find one but thought maybe somewhere...??

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #192 posted 10/16/16 1:33am

UCantHavaDaMan
go

avatar

wisdom7 said:

Is there a video anywhere of Judith Hill singing The Cross? I've searched and can't find one but thought maybe somewhere...??




I took some video, I just haven't uploaded it yet. I'll try to tomorrow.
Wanna hear me sing? biggrin www.ChampagneHoneybee.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #193 posted 10/16/16 4:59am

LoriJ

avatar

wisdom7 said:

Is there a video anywhere of Judith Hill singing The Cross? I've searched and can't find one but thought maybe somewhere...??


https://www.youtube.com/w...MZDAq8A51w
I love you baby, just not like I love this guitar.~Prince~
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #194 posted 10/16/16 6:53am

Latin

Entertainment Tonight segment of the Official Prince Tribute:

https://m.youtube.com/wat...-e_jNgN6Xo
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #195 posted 10/16/16 7:01am

Latin

WCCO - CBS Minnesotta news segment:

https://m.youtube.com/wat...672hplPfGg

It features interviews with Tyka, Shelby J. & Mayte.
[Edited 10/16/16 18:10pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #196 posted 10/16/16 7:56am

Pgeishirt

thank you for the video Heartbreaking. Who is the guitar player?

UCantHavaDaMango said:

Hi again, friends! As promised, here is the "Purple Rain" finale, with Prince's vocals leading the way, and the band playing along. Shelby told me that there was no one else who could sing this, and that Mr. Hayes chose this particular live recording. I think he made a great choice! I was surprised to read that many people didn't see this on the live stream. I put it on Youtube as an unlisted video, meaning that only people with the link can view it, and it's not searchable. Feel free to share it with other fans! It was a beautiful moment, and very moving to see his family take the stage. I apologize, my camera ran out of memory just as Prince was saying "I love you" at the end, but you all know that he does. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #197 posted 10/16/16 8:53am

meltedman

Pgeishirt said:

thank you for the video Heartbreaking. Who is the guitar player?




UCantHavaDaMango said:


Hi again, friends! As promised, here is the "Purple Rain" finale, with Prince's vocals leading the way, and the band playing along. Shelby told me that there was no one else who could sing this, and that Mr. Hayes chose this particular live recording. I think he made a great choice! I was surprised to read that many people didn't see this on the live stream. I put it on Youtube as an unlisted video, meaning that only people with the link can view it, and it's not searchable. Feel free to share it with other fans! It was a beautiful moment, and very moving to see his family take the stage. I apologize, my camera ran out of memory just as Prince was saying "I love you" at the end, but you all know that he does. smile









Guitar player was Mike Scott
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #198 posted 10/16/16 10:16am

wisdom7

LoriJ said:

wisdom7 said:

Is there a video anywhere of Judith Hill singing The Cross? I've searched and can't find one but thought maybe somewhere...??

https://www.youtube.com/w...MZDAq8A51w

.

Wow...thank you so much. So powerful. Thanks again for sharing the link.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #199 posted 10/16/16 12:08pm

Pgeishirt

Thank you melted man. The NPG band was great all concert.

meltedman said:[quote]

Pgeishirt said:

thank you for the video Heartbreaking. Who is the guitar player?




Guitar player was Mike Scott
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #200 posted 10/16/16 3:58pm

Nooriginaluser
name

GrayDorian said:

rogifan said:
Another not very positive review from the media. This time from Vice. https://noisey.vice.com/e...prince-day Interesting how ordinary fan reviews here and on Facebook are mostly positive while media reviews are less so.
I don't really care what the media critics have to say about it.It exceeded my expectations.I thought it was a fitting tribute to Prince, and I'd like to think he would have loved it too. Having said that I am disappointed by Jon Bream's somewhat negative review, perhaps because he is reputed to be such a huge fan. Even though he is a journalist that makes him one of our own IMHO. I kinda perceive us diehards to be like a family in a strange kind of way...not related by blood of course, but nevertheless somehow bound by our shared love for and long term commitment to Prince. Prince's peers and siblings generously provided us fans with an opportunity to come together for Prince, to pay our respects,show our love and celebrate him (albeit after less than 6 months I don't much feel like partying like it's 1999). This was a genuine and at times moving tribute to our man. I thought it was clearly performed in absolutely the right spirit with a lot of love, warmth & respect. Some things are far more important than 'star power'(whatever that means).Morris & company showed us that last night they didn't need a string of 'household names' or 'arena bona fides'to give our hero the tribute he deserves. Give me the musicians who love, respect and performed with Prince over big name artists any day. Judith and Stevie both overcame their sorrow to produce on the night, and I have increased respect for them because I know I would never be able to do that, and he was their close friend.Stevie's love for Prince was so touching.I'm not surprised they were such good friends, as Stevie comes across as an absolute gem of a guy, just like Prince. I thought it seemed like everyone gave their best. I couldn't care less if it wasn't super slick or lyrics were forgotten. It wasn't about sodding entertainment anyway.It was a tribute to and for Prince, by his peers & friends who love him, sharing it with his fans who love him. I don't agree with Jon's assertion that it required a singer like Chaka to command the stage either. Right from the off I was pleasantly surprised by mint conditions brief opening. Morris and the boys did Prince proud, albeit briefly too. Personally I thought it was nice that they gave Andre several songs.It can't be easy fronting the band in Prince's place, and I thought he gave it a very good shot.Wasn't it great to hear them belting out uptown? I thought both Shelby and Judith did a great job too.Heck, I even enjoyed Ana Moura (ok, so she forgot some of the lyrics to little red corvette, big deal)and that was in spite of a significant proportion of my fellow fans rudely talking over her moving performance of a Portuguese fado song. I'd like to enthuse about Elisa Fiorillo's rendition of SISIA, but the folks behind me were talking so loudly it was ruined for me. Being something of an old fart, I wasn't familiar with artists like Luke James, Bilal or tori Kelly, but I thought they all gave very worthwhile contributions to the tribute too. I agree with Jon that we are all missing Prince badly, but I think we are due Morris and friends a huge thank you for giving our man a tribute I think he would have wholeheartedly approved of. Not sure if any of them would bother to be on the org but just in case...Your abundant love for and dedication to Prince shone through in your performances. Thank you!!

This. Exactly. I loved that they used interviews to show who Prince was in his own words. I loved that the people performing loved him. It was obvious that this show was a burden of love-wasn't about props or egos, these people loved and respected him. I love that Morris Hayes chose to use Prince's voice for Purple Rain, although it almost brought me to my knees-and the short video clip they showed at the end of Prince taking a bow was beautiful and painful all at once. There were some mistakes as with any live show, but all that love made me feel like I had attended his homegoing service full of family and friends. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #201 posted 10/16/16 6:13pm

Latin

Prince's lovely family retweeted video Mayte has posted of her wonderful dance intro to "7" that she performed at the Official Prince Tribute.

Prince loved to feature this dance intro during the symbol era concerts:

https://vimeo.com/187573746
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #202 posted 10/16/16 7:03pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

Latin said:

Prince's lovely family retweeted video Mayte has posted of her wonderful dance intro to "7" that she performed at the Official Prince Tribute. Prince loved to feature this dance intro during the symbol era concerts: https://vimeo.com/187573746

Thanks biggrin Mayte is an amazing mover and has great balance especially with that sword on her head. Just wow.

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #203 posted 10/17/16 12:08am

BillieBalloon

Nooriginalusername said:



GrayDorian said:


rogifan said:
Another not very positive review from the media. This time from Vice. https://noisey.vice.com/e...prince-day Interesting how ordinary fan reviews here and on Facebook are mostly positive while media reviews are less so.

I don't really care what the media critics have to say about it.It exceeded my expectations.I thought it was a fitting tribute to Prince, and I'd like to think he would have loved it too. Having said that I am disappointed by Jon Bream's somewhat negative review, perhaps because he is reputed to be such a huge fan. Even though he is a journalist that makes him one of our own IMHO. I kinda perceive us diehards to be like a family in a strange kind of way...not related by blood of course, but nevertheless somehow bound by our shared love for and long term commitment to Prince. Prince's peers and siblings generously provided us fans with an opportunity to come together for Prince, to pay our respects,show our love and celebrate him (albeit after less than 6 months I don't much feel like partying like it's 1999). This was a genuine and at times moving tribute to our man. I thought it was clearly performed in absolutely the right spirit with a lot of love, warmth & respect. Some things are far more important than 'star power'(whatever that means).Morris & company showed us that last night they didn't need a string of 'household names' or 'arena bona fides'to give our hero the tribute he deserves. Give me the musicians who love, respect and performed with Prince over big name artists any day. Judith and Stevie both overcame their sorrow to produce on the night, and I have increased respect for them because I know I would never be able to do that, and he was their close friend.Stevie's love for Prince was so touching.I'm not surprised they were such good friends, as Stevie comes across as an absolute gem of a guy, just like Prince. I thought it seemed like everyone gave their best. I couldn't care less if it wasn't super slick or lyrics were forgotten. It wasn't about sodding entertainment anyway.It was a tribute to and for Prince, by his peers & friends who love him, sharing it with his fans who love him. I don't agree with Jon's assertion that it required a singer like Chaka to command the stage either. Right from the off I was pleasantly surprised by mint conditions brief opening. Morris and the boys did Prince proud, albeit briefly too. Personally I thought it was nice that they gave Andre several songs.It can't be easy fronting the band in Prince's place, and I thought he gave it a very good shot.Wasn't it great to hear them belting out uptown? I thought both Shelby and Judith did a great job too.Heck, I even enjoyed Ana Moura (ok, so she forgot some of the lyrics to little red corvette, big deal)and that was in spite of a significant proportion of my fellow fans rudely talking over her moving performance of a Portuguese fado song. I'd like to enthuse about Elisa Fiorillo's rendition of SISIA, but the folks behind me were talking so loudly it was ruined for me. Being something of an old fart, I wasn't familiar with artists like Luke James, Bilal or tori Kelly, but I thought they all gave very worthwhile contributions to the tribute too. I agree with Jon that we are all missing Prince badly, but I think we are due Morris and friends a huge thank you for giving our man a tribute I think he would have wholeheartedly approved of. Not sure if any of them would bother to be on the org but just in case...Your abundant love for and dedication to Prince shone through in your performances. Thank you!!


This. Exactly. I loved that they used interviews to show who Prince was in his own words. I loved that the people performing loved him. It was obvious that this show was a burden of love-wasn't about props or egos, these people loved and respected him. I love that Morris Hayes chose to use Prince's voice for Purple Rain, although it almost brought me to my knees-and the short video clip they showed at the end of Prince taking a bow was beautiful and painful all at once. There were some mistakes as with any live show, but all that love made me feel like I had attended his homegoing service full of family and friends. Couldn't have asked for anything better.




Love both these posts.
Baby, you're a star.

Meet me in another world, space and joy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #204 posted 10/17/16 8:33am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

I agree that the show was a little messy, and could have used a producer to trim it up, and keep the pacing in check. But they gave it their all, and that's what is most important.

I thought Morris Day and The Time was too short. Their intro video boasts all of their hits before they hit the stage, and then they only do two of them. Weird. And I'm sorry, but the fake ass Jerome just feels wrong. I understand it's not the real Time, but you gotta have Jerome!

Shelby J singing Erotic City was weird. Isn't she a JW? It was weird either way. I would have rather heard her do Chelsea Rodgers, or LITERALLY ANY OTHER SONG. Only certain people can get away with singing, "I just want your creamy thighs." Also, aside from the Sheila part, it's meant for a man to sing. Seemed out of her range.

Liv doing Hot Thing was kind of strange as well, and was also out of her range. Her version of The Unexpected was far better.

Tyka doing For You a capella. It's the thought I guess. But no.

Nicole Scherzinger doing Nasty Girl was the first moment that got me excited. I think she's the perfect choice for that song, and provided some much needed charisma. Too mad she messed up Baby I'm A Star.

Luke James has a great voice, and definitely does some justice to the falsetto Prince songs. Too bad he has no stage presence.

Judith Hill's performances were absolutely stunning, and the first of the night that lived up to Prince's gold standard of live performance. I now fully get why Prince thought she was special.

Elisa doing Cream was another WTF moment for me. The song choices for his back up singers were very misguided. I think she's a great singer, but Cream didn't work for her. Her Sometimes It Snows In April, on the other hand, was incredible, and one of the best moments of the evening.

Andre Cymone's contributions were all pretty good, but maybe a few too many of them. His version of The Ladder was an emotional highlight for me.

I respect Doug E. Fresh, but it felt like a little too much of him as well. He definitely knows how to get a crowd moving.

Ana Maura's fado song went on waaaaay too long. They should have stuck to an only-Prince policy in terms of the songs. It was nice to hear a rarity like Walk In Sand, but Little Red Corvette was an odd choice for her. I think of the available performers, Andre should have done that one.

Chaka was definitely a highlight. I felt the excitement level rise when she hit the stage, and she completely knocked it out of the park. It was cool to hear Betcha eye live. I'm glad a Come 2 My House song was featured. It was also nice to see her with Stevie, though 1999 felt off to me.

The 3RDEYEGIRL section was pretty cool. Shelby was a good fit for PRETZELBODYLOGIC, though something happened during the song that made me feel like it got off track.

Bilal was fantastic, but we already knew he would be based on his BET performance.

It was wonderful to see Mayte do her famous sword dance. However, it went on way too long. Who was the singer for 7? I didn't recognize her, and I don't remember hearing her name.

Marva King's contributions were fine, but perhaps a few too many of them. I think maybe Kiss was her best moment.

It was a total trip to see the Game Boyz back up on stage! Love them or hate them, they're apart of Prince history, and have been since Purple Rain. It's too bad Rosie couldn't be up there with them, but I know she hasn't been well. Sexy MF was cool to hear again, but I had to wonder if Prince wasn't turning over in his grave.

Jessie J is a fantastic vocalist, and she really put her all into Nothing Compares 2 U. I thought she and Kip sounded great together, though it did sometimes sound like a sing-off between the two. Her version of I Wanna Be Your Lover was forgettable and should have been cut. If you only have two songs to sing, KNOW THE DAMN WORDS!

Tori Kelly is obviously very talented, but I don't think she's special enough to warrant all of the stage time she got, especially sharing the stage with Stevie. I would say her version of Diamonds And Pearls was her "moment." It should have been left at that.

It was nice to hear Stevie talk about his love for Prince, and him mentioning his favorite song was Take Me With U, which sounded good. Raspberry Beret was kind of ruined, as nobody seemed to know the lyrics to the second verse or the bridge. But it's Stevie. His version of Someday We'll All Be Free was absolutely stunning. And Stevie doing Superstition is always a revelation. The jam session after that with the NPG was unbelievable.

It should be noted that the NPG were absolutely on FIRE!!! As soon as Michael B, Sonny T, Tommy B, and Morris were together, it was pure magic. What a band.

I know the final performance of Purple Rain, played live to Prince vocals, was supposed to be the emotional highlight, but it felt off to me. Maybe if they would have had a picture of him on the screen, or even live video. But everyone standing around with a Prince vocal playing just didn't feel right. Maybe it was me.

Nearly 5 hours was way too long, and there was a lot that could have been cut to make it more cohesive. I never once thought that they weren't trying their best, but I did feel a little disappointed, because I think Prince deserves better than what was given.

[Edited 10/17/16 8:36am]

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #205 posted 10/17/16 9:24am

wisdom7

rogifan said:

Another not very positive review from the media. This time from Vice. https://noisey.vice.com/e...prince-day Interesting how ordinary fan reviews here and on Facebook are mostly positive while media reviews are less so.

.

That explains why P didn't like doing interviews with the media...too critical instead of seeing the positive.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #206 posted 10/17/16 10:52am

sonshine

avatar

rogifan said:

sonshine said:


I didn't read this review but I will just say they come at things from an entirely different angle than the other attendees. So I take it all with a grain of salt. Bottom line is it's going to be a problem doing a tight, concise tribute to someone as prolific as Prince. They probably could have, or should have, cut down on the number of performers. Prince had A LOT of protege's and such over the years, some better than others. They maybe tried too hard to include too broad of an assortment if that makes sense. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed the show very much and found it worth every minute and every penny I spent, but it wouldn't have broken my heart either if they had been a bit more restrained on the number of artists they had participate. I'm sure anyone there can think of a moment or two they wouldnt have missed if it had been snipped.


Anything specific you would have cut? I wasn't there but just from reports and reading reviews I think Ana Moura, Doug E. Fresh and Tony M were probably not necessary. And Andre probably didn't need to do 4 songs.

Ana's performance brought the momentum to a halt. Everyone who was standing sat down and a lot of people seemed to quickly lose interest. She wouldn't have been missed. Just being honest. Mayte's dance should have been much more brief. She's great but it was another moment that brought the momentum to a stand still until they broke into 7. I don't think it was necessary for Elisia to do more than her version of Sometimes it Snows in april which was on point. Having her do Cream, snd some of Marva's numbers just felt like filler to me. Perhaps andre and Doug E time could have been trimmed but honestly they at least brought the energy back up anytime they took the stage so I was happy to see them back. The performances that included forgotten lyrics were awkward and would have been best left out of the show but it was live so not much you can do about that. Overall it was still beautiful and worth it to me but lots of folks left early for a reason.
The bits between acts they showed of Prince's interviews and clips of performances were definitely highlights and much appreciated by everyone in the arena from what I could tell.
[Edited 10/17/16 10:57am]
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #207 posted 10/17/16 10:57am

rogifan

Thanks SchlomoThaHomo for the detailed review. I too wonder about some of the song choices. Shelby singing Erotic City I don't get at all. How about Misty Blue? Why did they have someone else sing Nothing Compares 2 U? A+ for thought and effort but 5 hours was way too long.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #208 posted 10/17/16 11:00am

sonshine

avatar

rogifan said:

Thanks SchlomoThaHomo for the detailed review. I too wonder about some of the song choices. Shelby singing Erotic City I don't get at all. How about Misty Blue? Why did they have someone else sing Nothing Compares 2 U? A+ for thought and effort but 5 hours was way too long.

yeahthat He summed it up better than I. Lol
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #209 posted 10/17/16 2:56pm

i24u

Overall I liked it but needed editing really bad. Also The time got 10 minutes. What is up with that? They should of gotten 45 minutes from 7:45-8:30 then the main concert from say 9-12. Ana Maura was way to long. She got more time then the time. Luke James needed way more time. I didn't mine Doug E Fresh. Brought life to the party when it was needed at times. My favorite part was Chaka and Stevie. Almost would of like to seen them end the show and Chaka a few more songs.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Concerts > REPORTS of the historic OFFICIAL PRINCE TRIBUTE concert