independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Concerts > Prince Does a Surprise Appearance in Austin, TX
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 4 <1234

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 06/05/07 11:59pm

prodigalfan

avatar

lovemachine said:

Wow a million bucks for 6 songs smile People were bashing MJ in a different thread for playing a birthday party so I wonder if they will hit this thread.

Prince is sure doing a bunch of stuff this year that I never thought he would do.


nod
"Remember, one man's filler is another man's killer" -- Haystack
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 06/06/07 12:11am

prodigalfan

avatar

jn2 said:

SCNDLS said:

A friend just called me and told me that our man and Grupo Fantasma did a surprise, private performance at a restaurant in Austin, Texas, Saturday night June 2nd. It was featured on the local news station KXAN.

According to this site: http://thatotherpaper.com...he_belmont





I thought Prince, since he's supposed to be JW, was against celebrating birthdays, another contradiction I guess..
*



nod
"Remember, one man's filler is another man's killer" -- Haystack
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 06/06/07 3:32am

Anxiety

prodigalfan said:

jn2 said:


I thought Prince, since he's supposed to be JW, was against celebrating birthdays, another contradiction I guess..
*



nod


there's a difference between showing up at something specifically because you want to celebrate someone's birthday, and showing up somewhere at a specific time and place because someone has paid you to do so...and it just so happens to be for a birthday party. come on, now. lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 06/06/07 8:07pm

Astasheiks

avatar

ufoclub said:



Ain't that a Bust, Pops in Austin and didn't even come to Dallas and say Hello! lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 06/06/07 8:10pm

Astasheiks

avatar

SCNDLS said:

A friend just called me and told me that our man and Grupo Fantasma did a surprise, private performance at a restaurant in Austin, Texas, Saturday night June 2nd. It was featured on the local news station KXAN.

According to this site: http://thatotherpaper.com...he_belmont


Inside sources tell That Other Paper that a very, very wealthy individual has commissioned Prince to fly to Austin and regale his wife with Princey hits and over-sexified renditions of “Happy Birthday.” (Sounds like someone needs some P Control.) To ensure secrecy, he’s rented out the Belmont.

The Events & Music section of the Belmont’s website reads:

The Belmont closed for Private Event 06-02-2007
The Belmont will be closed on Saturday, June 2, 2007 for a private event. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I have discovered that Prince was paid $1 million to come to the Belmont and play 6 songs. Better be 6 really good songs.

[Edited 6/3/07 9:17am]


$1 million bucks for 6 songs, Lord how mercy, Wow. eek
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 06/06/07 8:12pm

Astasheiks

avatar

AstonMartin said:

3121 Spy Report: Prince Rocks Austin

As if the Roosevelt jam wasn't hot enough, a private gig at the swanky Belmont in Austin Saturday nearly caused a block-wide meltdown! Grupo Fantasma took 2 the outdoor stage at 10pm 2 set things off. Was that Renato sitting in on keys? O yes! The groove was so funky that Prince had 2 jump in 4 a piece of it on guitar. Grupo rolled through a bunch of their own material and some covers. Every time it got funky, Prince joined them back onstage, branding the jam with some keys or guitar. By the time he had the crowd chanting "Eye like funky music", it felt just like a smokin' hot NPG aftershow.

Later in the night Grupo left the stage and Prince and The NPG ran through some of his classics, starting with Little Red Corvette and sliding into everyone singing along 2 "Nothing Compares 2 U." When he left the stage, the crowd chanted, "Prince...Prince" until one by one, the musicians came back onstage 2 funk it up some mo'. The closer: a slammin' version of "Get on the Boat." U never know where this crew is going to pop up next!


1. Funky Music
2. Little Red Corvette
3. Nothing Compares 2 U
4. Get on the Boat

What were the other 2 songs???
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 06/06/07 10:46pm

ufoclub

avatar

I just got a call from someone who's work associate was there, I asked them to pry about details.

I do know that people called their friends and told them to watch/listen from across the street.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 06/07/07 2:15am

SCNDLS

avatar

ufoclub said:

I just got a call from someone who's work associate was there, I asked them to pry about details.

I do know that people called their friends and told them to watch/listen from across the street.


It was done outside in a courtyard so the performance could easily be heard by people outside of the restaurant.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 06/07/07 7:23am

funkin4kix

avatar

i still can't believe that i was so close, and that i could've watched & listened from the street... it's funny tho because i walked by antone's which is on 5th where grupo was on the marquee, and i had a feeling that our man would pop up sometime soon, if only i knew it was that very night! all i could hear were those damn motorcycles revving thier engines lol

and apparently they also catered chinese and my sister's friend was going to be on the waitstaff but he let an actual fan take his place, how nice! they were also told not to make eye contact!
[Edited 6/7/07 7:24am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 06/07/07 8:59am

MIGUELGOMEZ

funkin4kix said:

i still can't believe that i was so close, and that i could've watched & listened from the street... it's funny tho because i walked by antone's which is on 5th where grupo was on the marquee, and i had a feeling that our man would pop up sometime soon, if only i knew it was that very night! all i could hear were those damn motorcycles revving thier engines lol

and apparently they also catered chinese and my sister's friend was going to be on the waitstaff but he let an actual fan take his place, how nice! they were also told not to make eye contact!
[Edited 6/7/07 7:24am]




See, I hate to hear things like that. You know, the whole "no eye contact" thing. I love me some Prince but what the hell is that all about. How religious of him.

M
MyeternalgrattitudetoPhil&Val.Herman said "We want sweaty truckers at the truck stop! We want cigar puffing men that look like they wanna beat the living daylights out of us" Val"sporking is spooning with benefits"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 06/07/07 11:45am

prodigalfan

avatar

MIGUELGOMEZ said:

funkin4kix said:

i still can't believe that i was so close, and that i could've watched & listened from the street... it's funny tho because i walked by antone's which is on 5th where grupo was on the marquee, and i had a feeling that our man would pop up sometime soon, if only i knew it was that very night! all i could hear were those damn motorcycles revving thier engines lol

and apparently they also catered chinese and my sister's friend was going to be on the waitstaff but he let an actual fan take his place, how nice! they were also told not to make eye contact!
[Edited 6/7/07 7:24am]




See, I hate to hear things like that. You know, the whole "no eye contact" thing. I love me some Prince but what the hell is that all about. How religious of him.

M



for real.... maybe he is shy shrug
"Remember, one man's filler is another man's killer" -- Haystack
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 06/07/07 5:23pm

tznekbsbfrvr

avatar

prodigalfan said:

MIGUELGOMEZ said:





See, I hate to hear things like that. You know, the whole "no eye contact" thing. I love me some Prince but what the hell is that all about. How religious of him.

M



for real.... maybe he is shy shrug


maybe he's tired of ppl staring @ him.
"So shall it be written, so shall it be sung..." whistle
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 06/07/07 10:27pm

MIGUELGOMEZ

tznekbsbfrvr said:

prodigalfan said:




for real.... maybe he is shy shrug


maybe he's tired of ppl staring @ him.



I totally understand that but it's part of what he signed up for.


M
MyeternalgrattitudetoPhil&Val.Herman said "We want sweaty truckers at the truck stop! We want cigar puffing men that look like they wanna beat the living daylights out of us" Val"sporking is spooning with benefits"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 06/08/07 10:02am

ufoclub

avatar

My theory of the no eye contact thing is that it heads off any gushing conversation and reply....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 06/08/07 1:28pm

prodigalfan

avatar

ufoclub said:

My theory of the no eye contact thing is that it heads off any gushing conversation and reply....


nod

and for that matter, I do that as well, if I am at working and busy thinking, or in a hurry, I purposefully don't make eye contact because it does seem to give an invitation that you are open to conversation.
Imagine you are Prince (or any other celeb) and EVEYONE is waiting for a chance to tell you there story of how they discovered how talented you (the celebrity is)... ova and ova and ova again.

duh now I know why celebs wear dark sunglasses even at night... so they can make eye contact with people incognito.

cool
"Remember, one man's filler is another man's killer" -- Haystack
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 06/08/07 7:53pm

gyro34

Anxiety said:

why do i get a feeling we're gonna see grupo fantasma in the liner notes of the new album? hmmm


What makes you think that that is likely to happen?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 06/08/07 7:54pm

gyro34

theodore said:

Anxiety said:

why do i get a feeling we're gonna see grupo fantasma in the liner notes of the new album? hmmm


nod

Grupo Fantasma said that they were working with Prince on his new album lurking


woot! dancing jig
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 06/08/07 7:57pm

gyro34

mirrorbestfriend said:

SCNDLS said:

A friend just called me and told me that our man and Grupo Fantasma did a surprise, private performance at a restaurant in Austin, Texas, Saturday night June 2nd. It was featured on the local news station KXAN.

According to this site: http://thatotherpaper.com...he_belmont



[Edited 6/3/07 9:17am]


the sell-out continues....Prince can be bought and sold...its pathetic


He's got to promote his music and make a living, doesn't he?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 06/09/07 4:55pm

tznekbsbfrvr

avatar

gyro34 said:

mirrorbestfriend said:



the sell-out continues....Prince can be bought and sold...its pathetic


He's got to promote his music and make a living, doesn't he?

he does, indeed. and he does seem to be staying true to the music, and staying away from contracts that bind him for a long time.
"So shall it be written, so shall it be sung..." whistle
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 06/11/07 7:46am

Diosuni

avatar

funkin4kix said:

prince was in my hometown on a night that i was actually downtown???? SHOOT ME NOW!

Prince just knocked at my door w/ a Watchtower clenched in fist, and my cousin calls me, hey a JWIT out here and I do b leave it's RODGER, ...
so I waltz up the steps and to my surprise it was HIM, yes HIM dressed in a pinstripe suite, and I asked, hey what's up BUDDY, HE then talked for awile w/ me and my COUSIN, we all gathered 2getHER, and cut my grass and trimmed the HEDGES, HUH! cool biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 06/19/07 3:31pm

ecnirp7779311

[Spam snipped. --Matt]

spam
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Concerts > Prince Does a Surprise Appearance in Austin, TX