independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 20th Oct 2019 2:28pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > why mock Christians?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 6 123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

MrBliss

why mock Christians?

disagree with them sure... but why mock them?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/27/03 6:20pm

meow85

Because some people are as small minded as the "small minded" (because though while some Christians obviously are small minded, most aren't) people they mock.
"A Watcher scoffs at gravity!"
Reply #2 posted 05/27/03 6:46pm

rio

because you can't stand to think people are judging you for your own beliefs?

some people who represent what we know as Christianity are funny...admittedly...'Christian' television is a good source of comedy...but that's got nothing to do with what they believe in...

most of the insulting of their beliefs that goes on here tho, is just to get a reaction from the people on the site who consider themselves Christian...an easy target for folks who like to feel superior...
Reply #3 posted 05/27/03 9:05pm

SensualMelody

To draw attention away from the seriousness of their message?

To make oneself more comfortable with ones own chosen lifestyle that may
be in conflict with their teachings?

To set oneself up to be judges of the so called judgemental?

question
So...how's everybody doing? smile
Reply #4 posted 05/28/03 12:08am

ThreadBare

Fear of us being right.
Reply #5 posted 05/28/03 3:24am

MrBliss

i was expecting more responses on this thread
Reply #6 posted 05/28/03 11:11am

XxAxX

ah MrBliss forgive me. i was expecting you to have some punchline like: "when jewish/hindu/buddhist/muslim traditions are equally as amusing. . . "

i haven't seen anyone really 'mock' christians in this forum. the moderators keep a tough eye out for that. i have, on the other hand, noticed that some people go on the defensive when questioned about their faith, for the reason that a lot of religious doctrine is taken on 'faith', and not necessarily grounded in provable, scientific fact.
Reply #7 posted 05/28/03 2:34pm

MrBliss

XxAxX said:

i haven't seen anyone really 'mock' christians in this forum.

you know i love ya... but you have GOT to be kidding me
Reply #8 posted 05/28/03 2:42pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

Oh Bliss...any examples?
2010: Healing the Wounds of the Past.... http://prince.org/msg/8/325740
Reply #9 posted 05/28/03 3:10pm

MrBliss

SupaFunkyOrgangrinderSexy said:

Oh Bliss...any examples?

i won't give specific examples... as it might be seen as flaming... i'm talking generally
but all that "fuck jesus" type of shit, i think is unbelievably disrespectful to believers... you know if blatant slurs like that were made in a racial...or homophobic way... people would be all over it like a rash

[This message was edited Wed May 28 15:10:29 PDT 2003 by MrBliss]
Reply #10 posted 05/28/03 3:12pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

MrBliss said:

Oh Bliss...any examples?

i won't give specific examples... as it might be seen as flaming... i'm talking generally
but all that "fuck jesus" type of shit, i think is unbelievably disrespectful to believers... you know if blatant slurs like that were made in a racial...or homophobic way... people would be all over it like a rash

That is true. I also believe it to be disrespectful and I know that a lot of my diatribes against the church are seen as the same but I back it up with the reasons why I have such disatisfaction with it.
Reply #11 posted 05/28/03 3:25pm

MrBliss

MrBliss said:

Oh Bliss...any examples?

That is true. I also believe it to be disrespectful and I know that a lot of my diatribes against the church are seen as the same but I back it up with the reasons why I have such disatisfaction with it.

i'm in no way referring to people disagreeing with, or having problems with the Christian faith, or the church in general
Reply #12 posted 05/28/03 3:27pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

MrBliss said:

MrBliss said:

Oh Bliss...any examples?

i'm in no way referring to people disagreeing with, or having problems with the Christian faith, or the church in general

I understand exactly what you are talking about... and I won't name names either smile
Reply #13 posted 05/28/03 3:44pm

IceNine

I fear that a few people might have missed the fact that the christians are not actually mocked, but people do disagree with them and post their views... just as a non-believer's points can be seen as "mocking" the believers, so can a believer's "the bible says" posts be seen as mocking the non-believers, as the believers are clearly saying that the non-believers will be visiting hell for an extended stay of... say... eternity.

The christians always talk about how bad "the devil" is and how he is a deciever, etc. This is mocking anyone who loves the devil and thinks that they are wrong. Should the christians talk about how the devil is really a pretty cool guy, but they just don't agree with his politics?

All the PC people need to wake up and realize that there are many different views and that people will not always agree... in keeping with that, there will always be people who don't express their views the way YOU want them to, but this does not make it wrong for them to do it their way, nor does it make it right for you to do it your way.
SUPERJOINT RITUAL - http://www.superjointritual.com
A Lethal Dose of American Hatred
Reply #14 posted 05/28/03 3:49pm

MrBliss

IceNine said:

I fear that a few people might have missed the fact that the christians are not actually mocked, but people do disagree with them and post their views... just as a non-believer's points can be seen as "mocking" the believers, so can a believer's "the bible says" posts be seen as mocking the non-believers, as the believers are clearly saying that the non-believers will be visiting hell for an extended stay of... say... eternity.

The christians always talk about how bad "the devil" is and how he is a deciever, etc. This is mocking anyone who loves the devil and thinks that they are wrong. Should the christians talk about how the devil is really a pretty cool guy, but they just don't agree with his politics?

All the PC people need to wake up and realize that there are many different views and that people will not always agree... in keeping with that, there will always be people who don't express their views the way YOU want them to, but this does not make it wrong for them to do it their way, nor does it make it right for you to do it your way.

i'm not talking about people disagreeing... i'm as i stated above, i'm talking about all the "fuck jesus, god," type of shit that goes on...which is NOT needed to get a point across, and is unbelievably disrespectful
Reply #15 posted 05/28/03 3:49pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

IceNine said:

And this is the bottom line. I think if someone says "fuck God", how can that affect you unless you let it?
Reply #16 posted 05/28/03 3:52pm

MrBliss

IceNine said:

And this is the bottom line. I think if someone says "fuck God", how can that affect you unless you let it?

so is "fuck faggots" ok?.. or racial slurs... because your argument could be applied to those as well
[This message was edited Wed May 28 15:56:47 PDT 2003 by MrBliss]
Reply #17 posted 05/28/03 3:55pm

IceNine

IceNine said:

Exactly... and the fact of the matter is that the VAST majority of all posts about christianity by the unbelievers are NOT posts saying "fuck god," but sometimes it is just what you want to say.
Reply #18 posted 05/28/03 3:57pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

MrBliss said:

IceNine said:

so is "fuck faggots" ok?

Well, people say it all the time...

I see what you are saying but I think both parties should have an understanding where each is coming from. Believers believe in something that cannot be proven in any way with facts, tangibility or evidence and non-believers who would go the lengths to say "fuck God" don't even believe that God exists.

I think the argument here is based on what is real. A faggot is something or someone you can directly insult but if god cannot be proven and someone fully doesn't believe in God, how can you insult him. I understand that we are talking about insulting "believers" but I don't understand why believers would really care what a non-believer of that extreme believes.
Reply #19 posted 05/28/03 3:57pm

MrBliss

IceNine said:

IceNine said:

Exactly... and the fact of the matter is that the VAST majority of all posts about christianity by the unbelievers are NOT posts saying "fuck god," but sometimes it is just what you want to say.

just because you "want to" say something doesn't mean it should be tolerated
Reply #20 posted 05/28/03 3:57pm

IceNine

MrBliss said:

IceNine said:

i'm not talking about people disagreeing... i'm as i stated above, i'm talking about all the "fuck jesus, god," type of shit that goes on...which is NOT needed to get a point across, and is unbelievably disrespectful

The number of "fuck god" posts is extraordinarily low compared to the number of posts that are respectful and are attempts at discussing issues, but you only focus on things that you find objectionable and miss the entire forest for a few saplings.
Reply #21 posted 05/28/03 3:59pm

IceNine

MrBliss said:

IceNine said:

IceNine said:

just because you "want to" say something doesn't mean it should be tolerated

It is not a matter of tolerating anything, as it is just as acceptable as someone spewing bible phrases.
Reply #22 posted 05/28/03 4:00pm

MrBliss

MrBliss said:

IceNine said:

so is "fuck faggots" ok?

I see what you are saying but I think both parties should have an understanding where each is coming from. Believers believe in something that cannot be proven in any way with facts, tangibility or evidence and non-believers who would go the lengths to say "fuck God" don't even believe that God exists.

I think the argument here is based on what is real. A faggot is something or someone you can directly insult but if god cannot be proven and someone fully doesn't believe in God, how can you insult him. I understand that we are talking about insulting "believers" but I don't understand why believers would really care what a non-believer of that extreme believes.

the point is God is VERY real to a believer... this doesn't have to be agreed with... but should be respected
and why should a gay man care what a homophobe thinks?
Reply #23 posted 05/28/03 4:01pm

IceNine

MrBliss said:

IceNine said:

so is "fuck faggots" ok?

I agree with you, Supa... the fact is that some people are not tolerant of others being intolerant and they are therefore very intolerant themselves... Ironic, isn't it?

:LOL:
Reply #24 posted 05/28/03 4:03pm

MrBliss

IceNine said:

The number of "fuck god" posts is extraordinarily low compared to the number of posts that are respectful and are attempts at discussing issues, but you only focus on things that you find objectionable and miss the entire forest for a few saplings.

yes...i'm raising this because i DO find it extremely objectionable... but i'm not missing anything... i don't feel the need to discuss whether someone agrees with Christianity or not because people i think people DO have a right to believe what they wish
Reply #25 posted 05/28/03 4:04pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

MrBliss said:

MrBliss said:

IceNine said:

so is "fuck faggots" ok?

the point is God is VERY real to a believer... this doesn't have to be agreed with... but should be respected

Well I really don't care what a homophobe thinks. As long as his words aren't carried into actions that affect me...

And Ice has a good point, non-believers can find peoples beliefs (and preaching to back that up) that they are going to hell as incredibly disrespectful.

And likewise many believers carry their beliefs into actions that affect non-believers. The religious rights insistence on pursuing an abortion ban, or endorsing/supporting/enacting anti gay legislation. The sword cuts both ways.....
[This message was edited Wed May 28 16:06:45 PDT 2003 by SupaFunkyOrgangrinderSexy]
Reply #26 posted 05/28/03 4:04pm

MrBliss

IceNine said:

I agree with you, Supa... the fact is that some people are not tolerant of others being intolerant and they are therefore very intolerant themselves... Ironic, isn't it?

:LOL:

what would you say if i were to slander your son?
Reply #27 posted 05/28/03 4:05pm

IceNine

MrBliss said:

IceNine said:

yes...i'm raising this because i DO find it extremely objectionable... but i'm not missing anything... i don't feel the need to discuss whether someone agrees with Christianity or not because people i think people DO have a right to believe what they wish

They have the right to believe what the believe and express themselves in the way that they choose, just as the non-believers have the right to not-believe what they want to not believe and express themselves as they choose.

You are pretty intolerant of things that you don't agree with, yet you try to criticize others that you believe are intolerant of others. I find this very ironic.
Reply #28 posted 05/28/03 4:06pm

MrBliss

MrBliss said:

MrBliss said:

IceNine said:

so is "fuck faggots" ok?

Well I really don't care what a homophobe thinks. As long as his words aren't carried into actions that affect me...

And Ice has a good point, non-believers can find peoples beliefs (and preaching to back that up) that they are going to hell as incredibly disrespectful.

dude... i've seen you go OFF at homophobic views... rightly so imo... so i find it very hard to believe that you don't care what a homophobe thinks
Reply #29 posted 05/28/03 4:07pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

And likewise many believers carry their beliefs into actions that affect non-believers. The religious rights insistence on pursuing an abortion ban, or endorsing/supporting/enacting anti gay legislation. The sword cuts both ways...

Page 1 of 6 123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > why mock Christians?